Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 212014

Our 08 Acadia has been one problem after another since we purchased it. The latest issue is the transmission going out while on a family vacation going 65mph down the interstate. The stability track lights start lighting, the engine light comes on and then the transmission just stops working. We get the car pulled over, shut it off, turn it back on and it resets itself. It starts going, but then goes back out again. We've had towed it to our final destination. We are now more than $4500 out of pocket and ruined our family trip, we couldn't go anywhere. A transmission shouldn't go out with only 72K miles. We see this is a very common problem with GMC Acadia and nothing is being done by GMC. This is a major safety concern and this should be addressed along with the power steering issues. Many families can't afford these major issues, and shouldn't have to after paying so much money for this vehicle. Please investigate this issue and get relief for Acadia owners!! GMC is aware of this problem and continue to ignore this problem.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Sep 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

Water leaking into vehicle cabin entering through panoramic sunroof and ending in the electronic components under the driver side causing multiple dashboard warning lights to turn on and inoperable at times when lit. On two instances vehicle unable to start took to dealership for repairs and after a few days and unable to replicate was sent home. Currently breaks and electronic stability control lights come on and off intermittently and unable to operate cruise control.

- Sunyside, WA, USA

May 232012

Acadia 6-cyl

My Acadia started out having this issue at around 20 mph it would lose power and the service stabilitrak, service traction control lights would show up. Recently it has been doing it on the hwy running around 55-60 and when it looses power it feels like you have slammed on your brakes throwing you slightly forward. Had anyone been behind me they would have ran over me! it has been in the shop several times, always with a report of "cant duplicate problem" or one time it was in there was a bulletin to make some small repair, this was a very short term fix as it has started again and is worse now than ever.

- Amory, MS, USA

May 072014

Acadia 6-cyl

I purchased this Acadia on 5-5-2014, the vehicle ran great for two days and on that second day while driving on the interstate I-80 it started to hail with snow and rain as this happened the stabili track and traction controle tried to initiate but instead the warning indicators showed up on the dashboard saying service stabili track and service traction controle as proceding to destination the vehicle began to shift hard which in my opinion is a safety hazard so I did some research and found many other Acadia owners with this simular complaint. The Acadia is a vehicle that can seat up to 8 passengers and is considered in my opinion a family vehicle. GMC has been made well aware that these defects hold a high potential hazard for the safety of adults as well as children and I see nothing being done about these defects, I urge shoppers to seek out more than one dealership when purchasing a family vehicle, GMC staff have not been good on what they say about their vehicles in my experiance and have lied to my face to get me to sign off on a deal that has left me with a $20,000 safety hazard sitting in my drive way. I ask for the NHTSA to please investigate GMC Acadia's for it is my beliefe that there should be more re-calls then what I see listed!

- Rock Springs, WY, USA

Apr 112013

I purchased the GMC Acadia from a dealership in kaiserslautern germany in May 2012. By April 2013 the transmission completely stopped working. At first the SUV would jump gears 6-3 sometimes 6-1 while moving at speeds higher than 35 mph. I have 3 young children and the result of such sudden shifting could have caused whiplash and did cause fear. I took the vehicle to auto schneider in weiden germany who identified the speed sensor as the problem via the computer and replaced the part. By 10 May 2013 the vehicle was completely immobile. I conducted research and have found over 1000 entries specifying that people have had to replace the transmission around 70000 miles, and sometimes twice, with GMC covering 0 costs. As a us service member I believe that the NHTSA should monitor complaints on other sites and investigate poor mechanics especially when tax dollars were used to rehabilitate GMC in 2008. Anytime there is a mechanical failure in a vehicle's transmission it can cause incident.

- Apo, AE, USA

Jun 102013

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission failure immediately followed by engine failure after the transmission was replaced.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

May 202013

2008 GMC Acadia- steering problems!!- 65,000 started noticing power steering loss when slow turning and on...then got more often and much worse...replaced rack ($300).....problem still not trying to replace power steering pump ($$ yet to find out)...recall on headlight- socket melted and replaced....airbag light continues to come off and on...traction control, stability track, and airbag light come off and on randomly. No sound...took to GMC dealership, they told us it was the radio. Replaced radio($450), still didn't work. Dealership stated amp blew and needed new amp ($400)...thought it was the amp the entire time due to the cd player working visually, but no sound in entire vehicle for any electronic feature. Shifting randomly when going down highway. Gas mileage horrible-- about 14 to 14.5mpg-- much worse than when we first got it at 48, the look and when it works....why is there no recall will the power steering?? come on GMC step up and do the right thing already!!!

- Butler, PA, USA

Jul 252012

Acadia 6-cyl

I bought my GMC Acadia in February and have had it at the dealership I know 15+ times. Everything is wrong with it. It started off that it was the stability track and stability control censors, then it went to both rear wheel bearings replace, bypassing the wiring (because GM) told the dealership to bypass the factory wiring and build a new harness for the wiring, several other things wrong, and now the transmission!!!! what will happen next!!! so many people are having major issues with the Acadia. Not dependable nor safe for me nor my family!!!!!

- Pulaski, TN, USA

May 262008

1. while traveling on an interstate highway, the vehicle's "stabilitrak" control abruptly shut down, and the brakes locked with light depressions of the pedal. (stabilitrak controls the vehicle's traction control, anti-lock brakes, and roll-prevention program.) 2. the failure has occurred approximately 5 times; on one occasion, the engine stalled in addition to the above. Consequences were as described above. 3. the vehicle was taken on an urgent basis to the GMC dealer the following day. The dealer advised that the problem is due to "play in the camshaft, " which sends an erroneous signal to the stabilitrak, causing it to shut down. The dealer advised that repair will require replacement of cylinder heads and other equipment, which is a draconian procedure which will take a week or more. In addition, the dealer advised that the problem is causing permanently damage to the vehicle's drivetrain which worsens with miles driven. The dealer further advised that repair parts would not be available for at least 8 weeks because the problem is widespread in the vehicle line and GM refuses to manufacture parts in sufficient quantities to meet the national demand. Almost 8 weeks after reporting the problem, the problem remains unrepaired, and GM has refused one written request and one written demand for immediate correction of the problem, despite this being an immediate threat to occupant safety in that it shuts down the vehicle's most important electronic safety components, including traction control, anti-lock brakes, and the anti-roll-over program.

- Falls Church, VA, USA