CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 10 of 12)

Jul 092013

Acadia

While my wife was driving our 5 children on the highway the truck stopped on her. She was able to restart it but only drive about 40mph while the RPM's were redlining. The reverse went completely out. She ended up having to push the truck by herself with all the kids inside. The dealership says the transmission is bad, it'll cost $2600 to repair. From reading the forums it's obvious there is a problem with the transmission with this particular truck. We are very fortunate no one was injured.

- Bedford, IN, USA

Jul 072013

Acadia

While in traffic, my engine revved up and my vehicle jolted forward when my transmission stopped working. If anyone would have been behind me, there would have been a major accident.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Apr 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

On occasion, our 2008 Acadia would not shift out of low gear when first attempting to drive. The tac would rev to 5-6000 RPM at a max of about 20 mph. We would need to pull over, turn off the vehicle, wait a few minutes and restart. At this point everything would be fine with the exception of the check engine light being displayed. At first this would happen very rarely. It then began to happen more frequently. The last incident was very scary for my son, a new drive. He attempted to pull out into heavy traffic on a street with a 50 mph speed limit. The vehicle would only go 20 mph and there was no shoulder for him to pull over. We took it to the dealer and they diagnosed the problem as a failed wave plate. And from what I have been reading, a very common failure. The repair involved a transmission rebuild and cost us $2,800. GM refused any compensation. Absolutely ridiculous that a company would not stand by an obviously defect issue in its product.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jun 102013

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission failure immediately followed by engine failure after the transmission was replaced.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jun 302013

Acadia 6-cyl

My transmission failed on my GMC Acadia at just under 62000 miles. As I understand this is a very common occurrence with the model year and could easily cause a major accident. When mine failed, I lost all power to the wheels. Had I been in heavy traffic, it most certainly could have caused an accident. GM needs to recall these vehicles.

- Pickrell, NE, USA

Jun 162013

Acadia 6-cyl

I recently purchased a 2008 GMC Acadia in April of this year. On June 16th my husband and I did not get any type of warning before our vehicle completely stopped because the engine light did not come on until after it made a loud sound right before quitting. It was a good thing that my family and I were on a back road when this happened or there would have been some fatalities. The vehicle would start afterwards but would not pull in any gear. We contacted a mechanic and he informed us that he had worked on plenty of Acadia's with the exact same problems and when he checked our vehicle it was no exception. Our reverse function was completely gone out in the computer system and the transmission had to be rebuilt. I called the dealership to see what they could do since they told me that they did a full service/five point inspection on my vehicle and found nothing, but they said there was nothing that they could do to help. I have searched the internet for similar problems with this make and model vehicle and have found plenty of disappointed customers, so I feel that the problems with this vehicle were not disclosed in transparency and causing families safety and financial strains. I have contacted GM and they said that there was nothing that they could do because they didn't know about the problem and that only GM forums were a reliable source, even though I received their email from a non-GM forum where they told consumers to contact them with this particular problem. They told me that I had a headlight recall on my vehicle and should get it fixed, even though my vehicle was down at the time. They are being very insensitive to this issue, and a family is really going to be hurt in this vehicle if they do not take this matter serious.

- Tunica, MS, USA

Jul 082013

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that she attempted to shift gears but the vehicle did not respond. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic, who stated that the failure was caused by a faulty wave plate in the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was not reported to the manufacturer. The failure and current mileage was 62,000.

- Denver, NC, USA

Feb 132013

Acadia 6-cyl

In February of this year (2013) the transmission in our 2008 GMC Acadia failed while I was driving my two small children home from preschool. Thankfully I never lost control of the car although it was extremely frightening and a very dangerous experience to not be able to shift into another gear while in the middle of moving traffic on a busy road. I barely made it home, drove with my hazard lights on, shaking and counting my blessings that our car was not hit and we were not hurt. What makes it all the more upsetting is that GM is aware of this issue with 2008 Acadia models but yet has never done a recall on the defective transmissions in our cars. GM is essentially telling it's customers that it does not care about their safety or well being. They allow us to continue to drive their cars even though they are aware of the potential danger involved when the transmission shuts down. I cannot afford another car for my family right now so every day I live in fear that this car will fail again and put us in danger. It is not the safe, reliable car I was led to believe it was when I purchased it for my family vehicle. GMC should be forced to recall these cars (2007/2008 GMC Acadia) and required to put in completely new transmissions.

- Stone Ridge, VA, USA

Jun 112013

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the third and fifth gears in the transmission had failed and the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 50,000.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 262013

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission on 2008 GMC Acadia stopped working. Towed to lehmer's GMC in concord, ca. Advised that transmission must be rebuilt or replaced.

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Jul 022012

Acadia 6-cyl

I own a GMC Acadia 2008 that started having transmission problems one year ago (July 2012), I was on a busy highway in austin, tx and had my three young daughters with me when I started noticing I couldn't accelerate very well. Next day my GMC Acadia just stopped in the middle of a road and I couldn't accelerate at all, thank god this time my daughters were not in the car with me. I had the car towed and it turned out the problem was a broken wave plate which seems to be a very common problem with GMC Acadias 2007 and 2008.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 232013

Acadia 10-cyl

On a trip from Texas to Colorado our transmission failed. Driving on Saturday - transmission was acting funny. Stopped for night - got up next day to pull out of parking lot onto highway and transmission slipped out of gear - couldn't get it back into gear - managed to steer to right hand side shoulder. Could have been disastrous if I had made it out onto highway with cross-traffic coming. Looking on edmunds.com it seems this is a very persistent issue with GM Acadias & Buick enclave GM models.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 192013

Acadia 6-cyl

On June 19, 2013 I was driving my 2008 GMC Acadia from my home to work. I needed to turn right from my residential side street onto a major four lane highway. I had a red light but could turn right on red if I yielded to oncoming traffic. There was a car approaching traveling the same direction as I was turning but I knew I had sufficient time to turn and accelerate before the car reached me. As I was turning right from my side street onto the highway, I pressed the gas to accelerate and the car began to move forward but at a very, very slow pace, the engine began to rev very loudly, and the car was jerking very badly. At that point I was fully on the highway but could not accelerate my car. Luckily there were no cars in the far left lane of the highway, so the oncoming car was able to change lanes and avoid rear ending me as he was traveling approximately 55 mph and my car would not get past 5 mph. Even though there were no warning signs indicated on my dashboard, such as the check engine light, I took my car to the repair shop that day as I knew something was very wrong with it. I have been informed that the wave plate on my transmission has gone bad and I need an entirely new transmission. It is my understanding this is a very common problem with this year and make of car.

- Metamora , IL, USA

Jun 162013

Acadia 6-cyl

We were driving down the road and all of the sudden the car made a loud roaring noise like someone was mashing the accelerator to the floor. The transmission seemed like it did not know what gear it was in hence going from 50 mph to 30 rapidly could have caused a serious accident. Had I been the middle of an intersection or pulling out into traffic it could have caused a life threatening accident. We contacted onstar and the codes indicated transmission problem of a broken wave plate. Code P2715 the Acadia will not back up at all. There are numerous blogs of people having the same problems with the Acadia's wave plate ranging in the year of 2007-2009. Seems like it is a really bad design and not strong enough for this type of SUV. I can not understand why GMC is not recalling or offering to pay to fix these faulty transmissions. I am about to be out $4,000 because I have no warranty left and GMC and carmax are not willing to help. I have only had this vehicle for 4 months and it only has 93,000 miles and it makes me sick because the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty was out in January. I am ashamed for GMC not wanting to make it right and that our safety is of no interest to them. GMC claims I don't have a strong enough business case because I bought from carmax and not from a certified GMC dealer. I previously owned a Chevrolet trailblazer and didn't have this many problems and it had 130,000 miles when I sold it to get this one. I don't think I will be buying any GMC product again since they apparently don't have enough faith past 5 years for a transmission or engine which is pitiful for an american owned company. Now we are not able to go on our yearly vacation thanks to GMC and their unwillingness to back their products that they know are faulty. Thank you for listening to my valid complaint and my concern for everyone's safety who owns an Acadia.

- Thomaston, GA, USA

Jun 102013

Acadia 6-cyl

We purchased our 2008 Acadia in 2011, it had approximately 30,000 miles on it at the time of purchase. Less than thirty days after purchase we had to replace the front rotors. At 40,000 miles we had to replace the front brakes; the air conditioner backed up, which required maintenance to the blower motor; and the head lights went out, which required replacement. At 45,000 miles the rear struts went out, which required replacement; and we had to replace two tires. At 60,000 miles the water pump went out and needed to be replaced. At 55,000 miles the front struts went out, which needed replacing, along with four new tires, and a new set of headlights. At 60,000 miles the rear brakes and rotors needed to be replaced. At 70,000 miles the transmission went out, which also required replacement. The final incident happened on 6/10/13 at 74,000 miles, while I was driving with all three of my children. I was going 50 miles an hour on a highway, and the entire car shut down. The steering console locked with the keys in the ignition, I had no ability to steer the vehicle, the brakes did not function either. I had to use the parking brake to slow the vehicle down, barely avoiding a collision with another vehicle.

- Ellsworth, KS, USA

May 182013

Acadia 6-cyl

While driving on a highway, the car went into neutral and lost power. After a few seconds, it went into low gear and would not shift into a higher gear. The transmission required a re-build two years earlier at 62,000 miles and is now failing again. We were told the transmission must be re-built yet again. We cannot drive the car as the loss of power and slipping transmission is very dangerous. The transmission design, and the subsequent repair by the dealer, was faulty. As our warranty expired 4 months ago, we were a new transmission was required at $4,000.

- Eastchester, NY, USA

Oct 302012

Acadia 6-cyl

While traveling down the road at highway speeds, the vehicle looses power on its own, and down shifts to first gear at times, without the ability to shift into higher gears. Also at times, you pull up to a intersection, and the vehicle will not pull off under its own power. Vehicle has 80,000 miles on it, with a 100,000 mile power train warranty. GM says the warranty went out in October of 2012. The vehicle has multiple history of GM reprogramming the transmission, and the vehicle has been serviced regular.

- Nesbit, MS, USA

Jun 012013

Acadia

1. transmission going out at 67K miles and appears to be very prevalent with this make and model of vehicle. Very dangerous as the car will not go into gear at any given time and basically leaves you stuck in neutral in the middle of a busy highway. 2. service air bag light stays on after dealership claims to have fixed the problem. If in a crash, have no idea if we will be protected. Not a comfortable feeling.

- Hoover, AL, USA

May 122013

Acadia 6-cyl

While driving at about 45mph, the vehicle lost power to the wheels, the engine raced and the transmission appeared to fail. The vehicle was shut off, and restarted with only 1st and 2nd gear available and was moved to safety. The problem occurred at approximately 55,000 miles. A P0776 code was pulled from the computer and the GMC dealer checked the problem and concluded that the 3,5, R wave plate in the transmission failed and will require a full rebuild. With the numerous complaints about this specific problem, I'm very disappointed in GM for their lack of customer support in what appears to be a manufacturing defect in the 6T70 transmissions, as this issue is occurring in 2007-2009 GMC Acadias, Buick enclaves, Chevrolet traverses and the Saturn vues. Do something GM!

- Beaverton, OR, USA

May 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

The car transmission has failed as soon as the car turned 5 years. The car has been rarely driven. After checking with many garages I have found that the GMC Acadia 2008 model has a been known for transmission failures by design and it is not an isolated case. This is a rip off.

- Dubai, AE, USA