Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 3 of 12)

Aug 252012

Acadia 6-cyl

I purchased my 2008 GMC Acadia on 9/22/11. The following summer on August 25, 2012 the transmission went out while on vacation. It was towed to a dealership where they told me the wave plate and snap ring were broken. They replaced the clutch housing, all pistons, all fibers, replaced side cover and pistons and seals and springs. They replaced control valve body spacer plate and tom solenoid gasket screen. The vehicle had 73,730 miles on it. Since then I have also replaced the headlights twice, the battery once. My dash lights only work when they want to and my windshield sprayer stopped working. To top it off my transmission went out again just the other day!!!! it's November 10th 2014 with 119,000 miles and I'm already needing to have another transmission!"!" this vehicle is junk, and I still owe a ton of money.....something needs to be done about this!

- Lansing , MI, USA

Oct 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

I just purchased a 2008 GMC Acadia one month ago. We live in Washington state and it rains alot. The first couple days of driving the vehicle, we experienced water dripping all over our seats, floor, and in corners of windows when we drove it getting my 3 children and myself wet. I didn't think it was such a big deal at first since I figured it was a minor leak I could easily fix. Over the next 2 weeks, I noticed my front headlight would flicker on and off and sometimes not work at all. I also figured it was a typical vehicle issue. Up until a week ago I tried to start up the vehicle and it wouldn't start, I knew it was the battery. I took it to get checked only to discover the battery, which is located under the floor board on the passenger back side, was submerged with water. The battery was taken and checked out good out of the vehicle. I researched online that there plenty of others experiencing this same issue and there are no recalls in place now. What am I supposed to do? this is a definite safety issue as its affecting the electrical system. I have a 2 year old,4 year old, and a 5 year old. My 5 year old has health issues and my husband and I bought this vehicle in hopes to have a reliable and most importantly safe vehicle because he is in the U.S. navy and is away alot on deployments and underways. The rain draining inside also causes mold which is dangerous for my children. The dealership wants to charge us almost 1,000$ to repair this. They were unsure how to fix this permanently so they referred me to the body shop.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Oct 302014

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission. Problem shifting...3rd gear. Vehicle would attempt to shift at 40mph but unable to do so. Engine would rev up then shift extremely hard with a loud clunking noise. Took vehicle to local dealership who informed me transmission would need to be replaced. More cost efficient to replace than to rebuild. No third gear. Transmission should not need replaced at 75,000 miles.

- Lebanon, MO, USA

Sep 102014

Transmission went out (wave plate) which caused the engine to rev. Up. because of this I now have to have the engine rebuilt as well. I see that there are a lot of issues with the transmission from searching online. Why hasn't GM recalled this and made it right.

- New Carlisle, OH, USA

Oct 202014

Acadia 6-cyl

2008 GMC Acadia. This year/model has had a lot of issues with the wave plate & transmission. The truck was brought in with 58K miles and had the transmission replaced in 2011. This past week, the transmission has started to malfunction again. Same symptoms from 2011 when the transmission needed to be replaced. The car delays as it goes in and out of gears. The car now has 98K miles and will need to have the 2nd transmission repaired (3rd transmission in car if you count the one it came with). The vehicle is less than 6 years old. Looking at repairs, the cost will be over $3500. Lots of owners are running into these issues with the 2007/2008 Acadia models. I don't understand how GM is not doing a recall on these vehicles to address the root issue.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 012010

Acadia 6-cyl

Steering locks up. When you take off from a stop sign or traffic light and want to make a right or left turn the steering will lock up to a point where you can't turn. There had been several occasions that I was almost in an accident. Replaced rack and pinion 3 times and power steering. Water pumps are defective, replaced 2 before 100,000 miles transmission went out at 73,000 miles. Every issue that is stated above the dealer didn't want to replace under warranty, even after contacting GM. It took a lot of fighting with GM to replace the transmission when there was known problems with these transmissions being faulty.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Aug 292014

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission went out car slowed to 10 mph.

- Wheaton, IL, USA

Apr 112014

Acadia 6-cyl

Well a lot happened with this car. First the power steering pump went out. Then the lifters had to be replaced at 54000 miles. Then at 104000 miles the lifters are back making the same noise that it made the last time I took it to shop.the transmissions went out at 108000. Got it replace. But the heads are still rattling. Then there is the electric problem my windows want go up or down most of the time they said the motors or still good in them. They said that it need electric work that's why my gauges go crazy sometimes. Then there are the struts and shocks that went out at 60000 miles. Ever since I put my car in the shop at peilter Chevrolet in lufkin Texas I have had nothing but trouble. They fix a recall in the tire area on my car, and I think it wasn't done right. They didn't put my tire guards all the way back on its missing screws. They said that's the way it was I told them it wasn't hanging down when they got it. Then when the replace my heads and I picked up my car. The black guard pieces that goes under the hood had screw setting on it. The where not put back in it. Then there was a 2 bigger screw and the didn't know what they went to. I had more thing wrong when I got my car back from them then when I carried it to them. I researched GMC Acadia and I realized that a lot of people had the same thing like lifters replacement, transmission replacement at around 90000 miles to 110000 miles, problems with there struts and shocks. Power steering and much more. What I cant figure out is why hasn't there been recall on the transmission and heads or lifters, if everybody is having this much trouble out of these parts on the 2008 Acadia's. we all pay good money for these vehicle's and to have this much trouble out of them there not worth what we pay for them we are getting cheated out of our hard earned money. That's the way I feel about it.

- Pineland, TX, USA

Sep 272014

Acadia 6-cyl

While driving the transmission did not engage into the next gear and the engine RPM's went very high for a short time and the transmission finally engaged the next gear very roughly. I immediately stopped an placed the vehicle in park. I then placed the vehicle in drive and began to accelerate when the vehicle missed the same gear again. I stopped the vehicle and placed I took the vehicle to a local mechanic who stated that the transmission would have to be rebuilt or replaced. He informed me that this is a major issue with this vehicle and that I should research it on the internet where you can find thousands of the same issue from owners of the same vehicle. The problem that GMC is aware of is a defective wave plate in the transmission that fails, causing the issue. This should be recognized as a defect and GMC should be held accountable.

- Islip, NY, USA

Sep 292014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle failed to respond when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle stalled and did not restart. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The technician stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 129,000.

- Christiana , TN, USA

Apr 152011

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the water pump had failed. The vehicle was addition, the contact stated that the transmission failed and she was not able to exceeded more than 10 mph. The dealer repaired the fuel kit, housing, sensor and cover. However, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- Cathedral City, CA, USA

Mar 152013

Acadia 6-cyl

I have had to replace a transmission on a car with just over 55000 miles. The windows leak when sitting outside in the rain. The power steering locks up when you drive thru a puddle. The braking system makes some god awful noise when going on or off a ramp. This was our very first brand new off the line car. Really wish we had waited until the bugs were worked out.

- Danville, IL, USA

Sep 052014

Acadia 6-cyl

My wife was driving down the highway with our kids when the transmission suddenly slipped. The engine revved up and then dropped into the next gear. The next time she came to a stop the car wouldn't shift into third or fifth gear. It will not go into reverse either. There are no "service engine" lights on. The service garage said she was lucky it didn't happen in heavy traffic. This seems to be a very common problem with these GM vehicles. GM will do nothing because it's out of warranty. This is obviously a defect in manufacturing.

- Coleranie , MN, USA

Aug 312014

Acadia 6-cyl

Driving my family to grandparents house for the weekend to visit.the trans started to rev between gears and then just forward or reverse just big bill to fix for an issue that GM knows they have.I'm not going to ramble on because a lot of people with same issue had spent a lot of time writing novels of what has happen to them.simply will be put this way.tranny stopped working, GM knows of issue and they should pay to fix.

- Mukwonago, WI, USA

Jul 112013

Acadia 6-cyl

Complete transmission failure due to 3-5 wave plate failure. The consumer has an issue with the head restraints in the new Acadia's. he stated the eight passenger vehicle only offers four adult head restraints. Updated 06/03/15.

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Aug 052014

My GMC Acadia 2008 constantly stalls on me the issues started August 5 and has continue up to last night August 17th. While I'm driving the car would shut off on me and the check engine light would appear. I wont be able to restart the car so I had the car towed to the nearest GMC dealer. After paying for a diagnostic report the mechanic told me they could not find any codes indication the check engine light even came on. Last night I was scared because I left work at midnight after driving about 10 minutes the car started jumping then turned off and the check engine light came on in the middle of the street. I called on-star and they were dispatching a tow truck because the car would not come on. After 45 minutes I tried to turn the car on and it came on so I cancelled the tow truck service. This is a issue that's been happening for the last 2 weeks. I cant get the issued fixed because the last 2 diagnostic reports that were ran states no issues. I also had on-star run a diagnostic report right when the issue happened and they also told me they don't see any issues. I took a picture with my cell phone when the check engine light came on but no one seems to know the issues the SUV is facing. Everything stays on the radio the lights just the car shuts off and wont start for like 45 minutes to an hour. I've looked on different GMC Acadia forums and it seems I'm not the only person having this issue with this same make model and year car. Someone on the forum suggested I make a compliant at the ntsa.

- Bronx , NY, USA

Aug 022014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle lost power and the transmission gears failed. The contact stated that the transmission gears intermittently slipped. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who stated that the waveguide needed to be replaced and the transmission needed to be rebuilt. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Aug 102014

Acadia 6-cyl

While driving my 2008 GMC Acadia on the highway, the car started shifting hard, jumping, slipping, etc. This caused a very dangerous situation as this could have potentially caused an accident. I was able to get to a parking lot and then my car would not go in reverse, so it had to be pushed into the parking space. The 3-5-reverse wave plate is broken and will need to be replaced. After doing some research on the internet I have found that this is a major problem with 2007-2009 GMC Acadias, not to mention several other GM vehicles with the same transmission also have this issue. If there are that many vehicles having the same issue, this proves there is a major defect with this part and GM should be held responsible for this. This problem created an unsafe driving experience for myself and my family while on a busy highway that potentially could have caused a serious accident. Please do something about this and hold GM accountable for their defective part.

- Easton, PA, USA

Aug 072014

Acadia 6-cyl

Vehicle seemed to have dropped out of gear, so I pulled off highway into parking area. I realized vehicle wouldn't move when in reverse. After pushing the car backwards so I could turn around (in said parking lot) I pulled back out on highway. Vehicle would not accelerate over 40 mph and tach was doubled at over 4. I did make it home and I had vehicle towed to transmission shop where it is now being diagnosed.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Aug 072014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated while driving 45 mph the transmission failed. The check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact engaged the accelerator pedal and the vehicle did not move forward. The vehicle was driven onto a parking lot and placed in reverse gear; however, the vehicle did not move. The vehicle was turned off, restarted and the failure recurred. The vehicle was placed in neutral gear and pushed from the front end however, the vehicle was driven to her home and later towed to a private mechanic. There was no diagnostic test performed nor was the vehicle repaired. The failure mileage was 60,084.

- Wilimngton, NC, USA