Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 4 of 12)

Jul 022014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle failed to respond when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the transmission was replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 83,700.

- Florence, SC, USA

Aug 032014

The vehicle refused to shift out of first gear and the check engine light became illuminated upon pulling out into the roadway. At 25 miles per hour the rpms were 4000 and it just would not shift. We pulled over, called for help and were stranded on the side of the road with two small children. We were hours away from home, and had to call family from hundreds of miles away to come help. The vehicle after being turned off and sitting for a while did then return to normal operation when restarted. Vehicle was driven home and two days later the very same problem recurred. Going to trade in this pos before someone gets hurt.

- Wyoming, PA, USA

Jul 022014

Acadia 6-cyl

2008 Acadia purchased in 2007, transmission intermittently slamming into gear for high speed up and down shift. On dry pavement the SUV will change several mph well within a second. My concern is that this is potentially dangerous while driving in inclement weather. Especially on snow/ice! I am taking the SUV to the dealer on Monday for a diagnosis. I suspected an internal clutch problem or valve control problem couple of weeks ago. The problem is progressively getting worse. After reading online I found that this is a common problem with this series of transmissions starting after 47K. I wanted to add my concern. My car just passed 63,000 miles. I truly believe this is a potential safety hazard. Several things would have to happen at once (ie let off the accelerator, accelerate, brake, and be on wet or ice roads). The shift is intermittently hard during any of these changes in acceleration causing a potentially dangerous condition.

- Vista, CA, USA

Jul 092014

Acadia 6-cyl

I was driving home from work at 2am and the transmission went out on my used Acadia after I bought it only a week before. I'm filing this complaint because after much research I have found countless other 2008 Acadia owners who have had the same issue. I feel the transmissions for this vehicle needs to be reviewed and possibly recalled. I have three small children and feel this vehicle is unreliable for them.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Jul 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

I was on my way to my kids school with my 12 year old son in the car with me, when I eased over a speed bump I applied gas and my car would not accelerate. My car came to a complete stop in the road. Fortunately no one was behind me at the time. I immediately put my hazards on and my son and I tried to push the car off the road onto the side but could not. The engine continued to run. I put car in park then tried drive and reverse even low but nothing happened. A nice man stopped and helped push car out of road. My car is a 2008 GMC Acadia. We waited for the tow truck to arrive. It has 81,487 miles on it. I am told the transmission is crap. I am shocked and upset. This should not be happening. I do not appreciate putting my life and especially my child's life in danger. Thank goodness we were off the major highway!!!! and that my entire family of seven was not in the vehicle at the time. GMC needs to recall and fix the issues. Please don't wait until there are fatalities. Thanks!

- Camilla, GA, USA

Jul 122014

Acadia 6-cyl

Started from a red light, car dropped in gear and jolted. Tach revved up to 3000+. finally caught a gear and slowly made my way off the road. Parked and waited for a family member to come tow my car. Reverse and 3rd gear definitely out. By looking at the other threads, seems to be the ominous 35R waveplate. Need to replace transmission now. Luckily I can do the labor myself and save some money. I'm astounded how any other people experienced the same issue. Haven't seen any injuries yet though so I doubt this will become part of the numerous amount of recalls GM is sending out.

- Greencastle, PA, USA

Jul 072014

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission needs to be completely replaced. Most of my mileage is in-town driving and have under 64,000 miles. I have heard of many GMC Acadia's 2007-2009 having transmission problems.

- North Mankato, MN, USA

Jul 032014

Acadia 6-cyl

I went to accelerate and when I pushed on the gas the engine revved and the truck did not respond. I thought some how that it slipped in neutral but when I looked it was still in drive. After that happened the truck would not go over 20 mph. I got home and went to park and had no reverse. I called the dealer and they said it was out of warranty and there was not a recall on the transmission.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 092014

Acadia 6-cyl

I pulled out to merger with on coming traffic and my 2008 GMC Acadia transmission stopped working. The only reason I didn't have a crash was because I was able to pull back on the merge lane. No warning light came on dash. I my car was towed. When I called a repair shop (GM dealer was booked with recalls) and told them I had a 2008 GMC Acadia I was told they had 4 others and this was only Tuesday ! my issue is that GM has known about this transmission issue (3,5, R wave plate) for years and not sent out any alerts. This is a safety issue. If I had been hit I am not sure anyone would have guess why I pulled out in traffic and just stop. The owner of the shop said he has called GM and ask them to send out something to GM car owners about this transmission issue for the safety of the car owners. How many cars have crashed as a resulted of this transmission issue and were not reported ? this transmission was uses 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 and changed in 2012. GM needs to send out alert about this now.

- Gambrills, MD, USA

Jun 222014

Acadia 6-cyl

The car transmission slipped into neutral, the engine revved to 5000 rpms. I was traveling on interstate 91 in springfield, mass. I had to shift the gear into manual and then back to drive to get the car into gear. The car reduced speed and it was very scary. I had my son as a passenger in the car. The GM dealer told me the "wave plate cracked" on the transmission.

- Old Lyme, CT, USA

Jun 212014

Our 08 Acadia has been one problem after another since we purchased it. The latest issue is the transmission going out while on a family vacation going 65mph down the interstate. The stability track lights start lighting, the engine light comes on and then the transmission just stops working. We get the car pulled over, shut it off, turn it back on and it resets itself. It starts going, but then goes back out again. We've had towed it to our final destination. We are now more than $4500 out of pocket and ruined our family trip, we couldn't go anywhere. A transmission shouldn't go out with only 72K miles. We see this is a very common problem with GMC Acadia and nothing is being done by GMC. This is a major safety concern and this should be addressed along with the power steering issues. Many families can't afford these major issues, and shouldn't have to after paying so much money for this vehicle. Please investigate this issue and get relief for Acadia owners!! GMC is aware of this problem and continue to ignore this problem.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Jun 062014

Acadia 6-cyl

The transmission had been hard shifting from 3rd to 4th for about 200 miles. At 25 mph while turning through a very busy intersection the engine revved shifted through what felt like every gear, the car lost acceleration power; going from 25 mph to 10mph. Parked the vehicle. Restarted to find that only first and second gears worked and the check engine light illuminated. During the 200 previous miles of concern; I had heard a faint whine during acceleration. The first time any trouble occurred the vehicle was stopped behind a school bus loading and while I applied the brake (still completely stopped) the car lurched forward. I immediately shifted to neutral, not wanting to rear end the school bus.

- Grantville, GA, USA

May 022014

Acadia 6-cyl

I was driving through a residential area and pulled to the side of the road and left the vehicle running when I got out. A few minutes later I got back in and put it in drive and when I tried to accelerate nothing happened. I had no gears at all. I eventually got it towed back to the dealership where I bought it 4 months earlier. They said the 3-4 reverse wave plate failed and filled the transmission with debris. Had to replace the transmission cost about $4200.

- Austin, MN, USA

Apr 212011

Acadia 6-cyl

Most recent incident was 5-25-2014- transmission wave plate broke. I have learned that these plates were not stress relieved on the 2008S. 02-2014 water pump cracked and had to be replaced, this caused a total system failure while driving. Vehicle has been towed at least 3 times. Vehicle currently in shop, all repair paperwork is in the vehicle. I don't remember the specifics of the first time, it was days after I got the vehicle.

- East Lansing, MI, USA

Nov 122013

Acadia 6-cyl

So the window switches don"T work, when I'm trying to open the window it will open but then it won't close back, the steering wheel makes squeaking noises and most important the most costly thing to repair was the transmission. We purchased the car used with 53,000 miles on and after driving another 20,000 miles the transmission broke I had to pay out of my packet about 4,000 dollars for the repair I have two small children and when it comes for safety im not sure if we should keep the vehicle. When I'm reading all those recall issues I'm getting worried about my kids safety.

- Burbank, IL, USA

May 152014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that when servicing the vehicle, she was notified that the brake booster, rack and pinion and the wave plate failed. As a result, the transmission, brake booster, and the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 39,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 302013

Acadia 6-cyl

We bought our 2008 GMC Acadia in January 2008. The battery died in July 2008 while vacationing in Canada leaving us stranded. After it went dead several more times the dealership replaced it. The air conditioning went out several times in 2010 and we had to pay to have the ac recharged twice since. In July 2013 we had to have the transmission replaced when it stopped shifting into gear. Our warranty had expired in January of that year. The dealership did get GM to pay half but it still cost us almost $2,000. Now it is at the dealership again and we have to replace the entire steering column as it lost power steering at low speeds. We are having it repaired at an estimate of nearly $1,800 more. This vehicle cost about $36,000 in 2008. Since then we have paid thousands of dollars just to keep it on the road and safe. This is a lemon and I would like to see a recall for both the transmission and loss of steering at low speeds. I see that both of these are common problems with this vehicle. I would like to be reimbursed for our expenses.

- Swartz Creek, MI, USA

Jul 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

Bought this life altering mess of a vehicle in June 2013 with 77K miles. Since that time a wide spectrum of issues have arose and cost me for than just money. Windshield wiper quit working and needed to be fixed (I now see that was a recall) constant electric issues in using beeping, lighting up at inappropriate times, not registering a grown adult in passenger seat. Also, leaking transmission fluid. GM did cover that charge which was no help with the rear end that had to be replaced at a cost of nearly $3000. Transmission still (before leak "fixed") and after will read idle transmission hot at many times. Leaking water when we receive heavy rains. Leaking comes from drivers side airbag "label") I have been financially strapped because of this vehicle I had worked and saved so hard for just trying to keep my job! I need my vehicle to work and my life is at risk when I'm forced to get behind the wheel because of these issues that GM is aware of. With the money I've spent (I'm a single working mother with two young sons) because of GM turning a blind eye I am in dire need of the proper resolution to this year long devastation of preventable events. Please assist me in this fore I'm unable to go further with continuing to fix problems that thousands of other owners are having with the same vehicle. Thank you. In 2011 my children and myself lost our home to a devastating flood that rocked our city and as of Feb 2014 we were finally able to move out of the camper and get a home. I cannot prevent a flood and all the pain it caused myself and my children but I will not cease to fight for what it right. That is replacing my vehicle with equal, reliable safe vehicle immediately! after all, this was completely preventable and should've been fixed before now. Please help me. Thank you for your time.

- Burlington, ND, USA

Apr 292014

Acadia 6-cyl

I was pulling out into an intersection from a stop sign and check engine light came on and vehicle no longer moved forward when I pressed the gas pedal. Engine was running, so I put it in neutral and pushed it out of the intersection and oncoming traffic. Turns out transmission died and had to be replaced. Mechanic said it was a known problem and that the wave plate failed.

- Caseyville, IL, USA

Mar 152012

Acadia 6-cyl

Vehicle failed to shift into the next gear smoothly. Gears within transmission broken. GMC replaced under warranty, but at 52,086 miles the transmission should not be breaking down.

- Livemore, CA, USA