Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 5 of 12)

Apr 292014

Acadia 6-cyl

I was pulling out into an intersection from a stop sign and check engine light came on and vehicle no longer moved forward when I pressed the gas pedal. Engine was running, so I put it in neutral and pushed it out of the intersection and oncoming traffic. Turns out transmission died and had to be replaced. Mechanic said it was a known problem and that the wave plate failed.

- Caseyville, IL, USA

Mar 152012

Acadia 6-cyl

Vehicle failed to shift into the next gear smoothly. Gears within transmission broken. GMC replaced under warranty, but at 52,086 miles the transmission should not be breaking down.

- Livemore, CA, USA

Apr 212014

I just had the clutch wave plate break into pieces inside my transmission causing us to almost get into an accident as my kids and I were getting on the freeway. We lost our gears and had to be towed. I looked up the issue and it sounds like this is a more than common issue with the Acadia at this mileage. If this is such a well-known issue why does GM not fix this issue?

- Mead, WA, USA

Acadia 6-cyl

While driving the transmission would not shift out of third gear. I am told that a wave plate has failed and the transmission needs to be replaced, cost $3000+.

- Springfield, GA, USA

Apr 172014

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission failure @ 67070 miles. 35R wave plate. GMC dealer service rep. Said they had never heard of this problem. Personally talked to dealer mechanic, and he states that he has replace a number of these transmissions for wave plate failure. It's bad enough that this is a know problem and GM does nothing about it, but for the dealership to lie to me right off the bat, takes the cake. No more GM products for me, ever.....

- Airville, PA, USA

Apr 112014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate from a traffic light, the vehicle failed to move. The contact stated that the check engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 48,700.

- Alamo, TX, USA

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 60 mph, the vehicle suddenly failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. Also, the check engine light illuminated. Updated 06.19.14

- Brandon, FL, USA

Apr 012014

Transmission wave plate issues....the car shifts into different gears and about caused an accident. Took it to a mechanic and it is a transmission wave plate that needs replaced. Going to cost us around $4000. Just spent 1000 dollars to fix the power seats that quit working also.

- Lincoln , NE, USA

Apr 032014

The transmission again is going out on it for the 3rd time. This last time there was snow on the road and when it kicks down because of the wave plate failing again this time I was going around a corner and it kicked down and made me slide off the road I was able to get out and almost hitting the guard rail

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 112013

I purchased the GMC Acadia from a dealership in kaiserslautern germany in May 2012. By April 2013 the transmission completely stopped working. At first the SUV would jump gears 6-3 sometimes 6-1 while moving at speeds higher than 35 mph. I have 3 young children and the result of such sudden shifting could have caused whiplash and did cause fear. I took the vehicle to auto schneider in weiden germany who identified the speed sensor as the problem via the computer and replaced the part. By 10 May 2013 the vehicle was completely immobile. I conducted research and have found over 1000 entries specifying that people have had to replace the transmission around 70000 miles, and sometimes twice, with GMC covering 0 costs. As a us service member I believe that the NHTSA should monitor complaints on other sites and investigate poor mechanics especially when tax dollars were used to rehabilitate GMC in 2008. Anytime there is a mechanical failure in a vehicle's transmission it can cause incident.

- Apo, AE, USA

Dec 052013

Transmission went out on turnpike. Causing family to miss a family members college graduation. Car was stuck on side of turnpike for 3 hours with little kids in car while high speed vehicles drive by. When I took car to mechanic for repair they had identical problems with another Acadia. This car is very dangerous and expensive for families.

- Drumright , OK, USA

Aug 192013

My GMC Acadia had the transmission fail and it will cost me $4000 to put a new one in. I am finding out that this is a common occurance in the Acadia at fairly low milage.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 192014

Acadia 6-cyl

While driving car bucked and shifted irregularly, transmission slipped, no power, no reverse.

- Aquebogue, NY, USA

Sep 272013

Acadia 6-cyl

My 2008 Acadia transmission failed as I exited a highway (70 mph) and was going up the exit ramp. It began bucking like a horse. Once I pulled over and parked, I could not go in reverse. The car had to be towed and a new transmission had to be put in it after only 56K miles. Also have had the sunroof / moon roof trays overflow because the drainage tubes are not large enough to drain all the water from the trays. The dealership stated it was a poor design and nothing could be done to replace it. Now water has entered my vehicle causing the electrical box to become wet causing the horn to blow randomly and the car to continue running after turning it off and removing the key.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Feb 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

Driving the vehicle that had 7 people. I turned onto a street in town and the vehicle started shaking like the transmission was slipping. So I turned to head to the nearest parking lot. Stopped at a stop sign and again the vehicle shook from a take off. Didn't even make it into the driveway before the transmission completely failed in the middle of the busy intersection and we had to push it into the parking lot.

- Bath, MI, USA

Feb 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

While traveling a busy highway going uphill, my transmission began to have what felt like slipping clutch issues, and finally failed - leaving me stranded on a very busy stretch of highway 80 East bound. It was very scary to be just barely off the roadway (was lucky to make it all the way off the road) with huge trucks whizzing by. I have had it diagnosed and the clutch waveplates on these Acadia gmcs have a well known and common failure issue. A $3500 bill is not what I need right now, it's going to really hurt. This transmission needs to be recalled before someone gets killed on a busy freeway. The problem is there was not much warning of an eminent failure before it basically left me dead in the water - I was just fortunate this time that I was traveling in the right lane. If I had been in the left lane or middle, I am not sure I would have been able to get over before it would just leave me in the middle of the road. It's definitely a safety issue. Who could make an argument that it is not unsafe?

- Roseville, CA, USA

Feb 122014

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the clutch had failed. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 5/27/14

- Hamden, CT, USA

Jan 102011

Transmission originally started skipping around 75,900 miles. At 100,000 miles started system alert of " transmission running hot, idle to cool down". transmission serviced on 11/11/13. Transmission drained and refilled by GMC dealer in el paso, tx. Ran ok until 2/06/14. In GMC repair shop in richmond, ca. Transmission completely failed! $4000 repair.

- Hercules, CA, USA

Jan 272014

TL- the contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. While traveling about 30 mph, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to increase speed despite the accelerator pedal being depressed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. The contact was informed that the transmission needed to be rebuilt or replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.-

- Cumming, GA, USA

Nov 302013

Acadia 6-cyl

Engine light came on took it in to get checked the GMC dealer said it was purge valve and may be my timing chain belt! and my master cylinder was leaking into my booster, and they had to replace a sensor for the tire and service the track/stabilitrak! services came to $1000 now come 2 months later to Jan 2014 engine light is on service stabilitrak is on take it back, my timing chain needs replaced@ 74000 miles which is about a $2000 job and my transmission platelets need changed! transmission is now slipping we called GM and there is nothing they will do as I was informed these are "command problems " in these vehicles!! what!! I feel like I've been sold a lemon and no one are GM cares because these are command problems for them! never again will I buy a GM and I'm confused on how so many people have these same issues and GM is doing nothing about it! oh did I mention you can't park on a slant or an incline with a 1/4 tank of gas because your Acadia won't start! this car has been a nightmare!

- Valparaiso, IN, USA