Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Apr 272015

Acadia 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle and it puttered in the middle of intersection as I was turning which is a busy street. It slowed down drastically on its own. Which caused my children to swing forward and back in there seat. My children were in the car it was very scary. This is not safe!!! according to GMC service the timing chain did not break, was stretched to the extent that the remote start would not work along with codes being set. Would like to know the real reason for such premature failure and what if any actions are being taken to remedy this. There has to be more than just putting a new chain on and crossing your fingers.really do not buy into the theory of dirty oil causing it, maybe lack of oil resulting from poor design. I get my oil chain faithfully and maintenance done. This is not safe at all. I have a sick child that needs to get to dr appts this needs to be fixed. There was a recall for 2007 and 2009 models which GMC fixed. My 2008 should be fixed in the recall also.

- Hatfield , PA, USA

Apr 162015

2008 GMC Acadia with slightly under 53,000 miles. Was driving across town and the transmission started to shift unexpectedly as if slipping out of gear and the engine going to high revolutions. Check engine light came on. Vehicle stopped for awhile, restarted, began heading towards dealership. Acceleration completely failed and vehicle rolled to a stop with inability to go forward or in reverse. Vehicle towed to GM dealership. Been informed that the clutch broke and spread metal bits across the transmission. Transmission must be replaced even though vehicle only has 53,000 miles on it. Complaint also filed with GM customer care requesting financial assistance with the prohibitive cost of premature repair.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Mar 102015

Acadia 6-cyl

My 2008 GMC Acadia would not start and the key could not be removed from the ignition. The vehicle was towed to a GMC dealership. The mechanic diagnosed that the sunroof was leaking into the headliner and going straight to the fuse block. I had to replace the fuse block, battery as well as seal the leak around the sunroof and cowl. GMC refused to pay anything towards this repair and will not issue a recall. I spent $1,200 just to fix this due to GMC's poor craftsmanship. Mileage of car is 104,00.

- Mount Washington, KY, USA

Mar 102015

Acadia 6-cyl

Check engine lights are on, and stability lights on, dealer says problem is due to timing chain problem. There is technical bulletin out for this vehicle located here: GMC is not offering to fix this problem without a large fee, saying our VIN does not match the recall. Yet there is a technical bulletin describing our exact problem. Can you let us know if our vehicle is covered by this technical bulletin and if there are other complaints similar to this for our vehicle.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Feb 202015

After starting my car (and sitting still), I put my car in reverse, my car started shaking and my dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. Service engine soon, service stabilitrak, reduced engine power. This is a serious safety issue and needs to be addressed now! had I been traveling at a high rate of speed, or if my children had been in the car with me when this happened, I shudder to think what could've happened. Please, please put out a recall to address this issue. Again, I feel that it is a safety issue and I have seen several other complaints on GM forums/blogs.

- Flatwoods, KY, USA

Nov 272014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle would not accelerate and the check engine light illuminated. The contact had to maneuver the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,600.

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Feb 062015

Acadia 6-cyl

My family and I were driving out of town and then started to feel the car jerk at times and then out of no were it said stability traction control off and reduced power of engine and then engine started to make a terrible noise and shaking like it was going to give out. I could barely pull over. I have taken it several times in to get checked for the stability and they can never find anything wrong and they say its one thing and all I seem to do is pay for something that doesn't need to be fixed. This same issue has happened 3 times since then.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Oct 012014

Acadia 6-cyl

Service stabilitrak, traction control off, and reduced engine power are messages that have been flashing across my screen. This has caused the car to completely shut off on me at random time. I now have been told this is a timing chain issue that needs replaced and is going to cost over $2000. There are recalls on the 2007 & 2009 Acadias for timing chain needing replaced prematurely, why is the 2008 model excluded?? there are complaints on the 2008 models all over the internet. I hope you guys take this into consideration. It is not a coincidence that the 08 models are having the same timing chain problem. Please make this right.

- Greenfield, IL, USA

Jan 052015

Tsb reference- sb-11340 should be extended to 2008 Acadias. Initial oil change intervals were very long for this model year and were subsequently shortened. The bulletin indicates that the extended intervals can lead to timing change stretch and this has happened to ours and other 2008 Acadias.

- St. Charles, IL, USA

Aug 102010

My husband and I purchased a new 2008 GMC Acadia in August 2009. Within the first year or so I noticed that the headlights were dim and the plastic over the lights started to peel. I contacted the dealership and they said there was nothing they could do, that wasn't covered under the warranty. I called GM direct and they also said there wasn't a recall and that it was probably a chemical that we used to wash our car, that caused the peeling. They quoted me $800 for a new set of headlights... ugh... a year or so later, I began having trouble with the struts. They began to leak. I thought it was my brake line and I took it into the shop and they told me that the struts were bad and needed replacing. At that time there was around 36,000 miles on the vehicle. I had them changed out and the mechanic told me they were the worst he had ever seen. After the repair, the vehicle has never been the same. It's not near as smooth as it was and it makes noise. I had it checked to be sure they were installed properly and they were. The whole process cost me about $900 the next issue I have had is more sever. This just happened a few months ago. I was taking my children to school and the vehicle stalled. All the lights came on and said stable track went off and the engine lost pressure and the vehicle stalled. After it cooled down I could drive a little further and the same thing would happen again. I took it back to the shop and they said it was the throttle and it would probably need to be replaced. They cleaned it for now, but I am scared to drive it anywhere! now the power steering is making noise when you turn the wheel, sounds like the power steering pump might be going out now as well. The vehicle only has 65,000 miles on it..

- Tucumcari, NM, USA

Dec 092014

Acadia 6-cyl

I am requesting a recall on 2008 GMC Acadia's (throttle body). I have a 2008 GMC Acadia that is experiencing major issues. These issues include speed reducing in the middle of a busy intersection with my 16 year old son in the car. The panel displayed a red message "service traction control". went a few blocks further when the car shut off completely on a busy street; police pushed me off the main street to a less populated side street. Messages displayed on panel "'traction control reducing power". I'm concerned not only for my safety but concerned about the many other customers of GMC who have experienced the same issue (similar issues found on the internet/blogs). My son and I could have been seriously injured if not killed because of this faulty part. I trust that GMC will do the right thing and recall this item before someone is seriously injured.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 012010

Acadia 6-cyl

Steering locks up. When you take off from a stop sign or traffic light and want to make a right or left turn the steering will lock up to a point where you can't turn. There had been several occasions that I was almost in an accident. Replaced rack and pinion 3 times and power steering. Water pumps are defective, replaced 2 before 100,000 miles transmission went out at 73,000 miles. Every issue that is stated above the dealer didn't want to replace under warranty, even after contacting GM. It took a lot of fighting with GM to replace the transmission when there was known problems with these transmissions being faulty.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Aug 262014

Acadia 6-cyl

While on vacation the weekend of August 15-17, our vehicle's check engine light came on. We took it to the garage on 8-26-14. After 2 1/2 days of diagnosing the vehicle, the dealership advised us we had 2 bent rods in cylinder 3 and 4. we contacted GM to open a case study. The dealership called us and asked us what we were looking for as a resolution. We felt that with only 43,000 miles on it, our vehicle should not be having such drastic engine issues. Furthermore, the engine/timing cover was already replaced at 23,118 miles. The dealership asked us to verify that the vehicle had no flood history, get details of the warranty provided by the dealer from whom we purchased it, and provide maintenance records. We did that. The dealership first told us they would give us $1,000 off a new vehicle (really?). we said we still had a loan and payment. They advised us they would be able to come close to our current payment. When we spoke with them next, they advised that GM would not be providing any assistance and that they think now it is just a valve issue. How can you go from 2 bent rods to a valve issue? we told the dealership to put the vehicle back together; we were coming to get it. We towed it home. We contacted GM again to let them know what a bad experience we had with a dealership that kept changing their story about what GM was going to do to help and what our problems were. They advised us we could take it to another garage and have all the diagnostics done again (at our expense). Then the dealership could contact them to see if there is any cost assistance available. They said that since we didn't buy our vehicle from a GM dealer and didn't service it at a GM dealer (we never had an issue prior to this), we wouldn't score high for cost assistance from GM. We aren't the only one in this situation according to research. Help!

- Petersburg, PA, USA

Jun 182014

Acadia 4WD 6-cyl

I have brought my vehicle in before our trip to massachussetts to the GM dealer in hastings, mn as the stop engine now/fuel pressure light kept coming on all the time. They told me that it is probably just a sensor issue. So I drove my car. In the last few weeks more lights came on such as traction control is out, stabilization needs attention, breaks need attention, and check engine. So they figured just more sensor issue. 9/9/14 I was backing out a parking spot with a friend of mine and my power steering was disabled and almost caused and accident when the break service light came on. Finally my husband took it back to the dealer to find that now I need a new timing chain and updates $2045, transmission control module w/solenoid $1226.58, and master cylinder and brake booster $690. They should have caught this before as GM is well aware of the issues according to complaints online and the service man who told me he sees this a lot. I noticed there is a recall on 2007 and 2009 for several of these issues. Had I not have my husband bring this in again I am sure there would have been a severe accident involving me and possibly my children. GM offered to pay for half the services but honestly they know this is an issue with their model. To tell people nothing is wrong, nothing is wrong and bam everything wrong at just 120K miles seems fishy. I want this fixed before someone gets hurt. I have a friend with the same model with many of the same issues. This is not fair to leave consumers in the dark considering this is vehicle mostly used by families.

- Cannon Falls , MN, USA

Sep 022014

In the last few months we have been having problems with different service lights coming on multiple times and one time while driving down highway the computer engine revved up and then slowed the vehicle to minimal speed until later shutting off car reset the vehicle. Service stabiltrak, ABS, engine light, traction control light and air bag light. Some times we can hear engine noise while idling and cruise control does not work at times. This car only has approximately 72,255 miles as of 09/2/14 when taken to get checked for issues. After checking serviceman recommended full timing chain overhaul and replacement of throttle body for an estimated cost of $3,727.85. After looking online regarding these issues we found many complaints regarding timing chain but no recalls on 2008 model. 2007 models I saw had extended warranty for timing chain but not 2008 models. This is our only family vehicle which our three children are riding in daily and making payments now looking at large repairs we can not afford. Please tell me why there are extended warranty for timing chain on 2007 but not 2008 when they are having the same issues? if this is not resolved we will never buy Chevy or GMC again.

- South Whitley, IN, USA

Aug 132014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced several electrical failures. The rear doors would not unlock, the liftgate failed to open, the check engine indicator illuminated intermittently, and the battery failed while the key was stuck in the ignition. When the battery was replaced, the key was removed; however, the engine was still operable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing where it was stated that the body control module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Atpleboro, MA, USA

Aug 052014

My GMC Acadia 2008 constantly stalls on me the issues started August 5 and has continue up to last night August 17th. While I'm driving the car would shut off on me and the check engine light would appear. I wont be able to restart the car so I had the car towed to the nearest GMC dealer. After paying for a diagnostic report the mechanic told me they could not find any codes indication the check engine light even came on. Last night I was scared because I left work at midnight after driving about 10 minutes the car started jumping then turned off and the check engine light came on in the middle of the street. I called on-star and they were dispatching a tow truck because the car would not come on. After 45 minutes I tried to turn the car on and it came on so I cancelled the tow truck service. This is a issue that's been happening for the last 2 weeks. I cant get the issued fixed because the last 2 diagnostic reports that were ran states no issues. I also had on-star run a diagnostic report right when the issue happened and they also told me they don't see any issues. I took a picture with my cell phone when the check engine light came on but no one seems to know the issues the SUV is facing. Everything stays on the radio the lights just the car shuts off and wont start for like 45 minutes to an hour. I've looked on different GMC Acadia forums and it seems I'm not the only person having this issue with this same make model and year car. Someone on the forum suggested I make a compliant at the ntsa.

- Bronx , NY, USA

Jul 212014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Chardon, OH, USA

Mar 082011

Acadia 6-cyl

When first starting engine a loud pop would occur. Signals, clock, stereo, dome light, battery gauge stopped working. Chevrolet dealer replaced the stereo and amplifier ($1500 ). then if I left Acadia in the rain I would find a small puddle of water on the floor under the emergency brake and a drop of water on the air bag on the driver side in front of the vehicle. Was told it could be the sun roof tubes were blocked so I took it to the auto glass place and had the tubes cleaned out. Very concerned about the water because I do not want to loose power in vehicle again. Just went on a trip and had to park outside in parking area and had a real puddle on my mat and underneath the mat. Today I called an auto windshield repair shop to see if the windshield could be leaking and was told that if the car was not in an accident or if it has not had the windshield replaced, they didn't think it would be the windshield leaking, that GM was good about installing and sealing the windshield. My car is kept in the garage and I am the only driver. It has never been in an accident and I am afraid that the wiring will short out, cause a soft spot in the floor, or start a fire. This automobile has only 69,285 miles and has been very well taken care of by only General Motors dealerships. Serious problem involving wet elements and electrical problems here. Please let me know what to do!

- Willis,, MI, USA

Jul 012014

Acadia 6-cyl

Since 2011 my 2008 GMC Acadia has stalled on the highway and streets several times. The first major incident, the vehicle would not accelerate - thankfully I was at a stop light. The vehicle had to be towed and repaired. Then while driving on the highway, the vehicle slowed down by itself and would not accelerate past 25 mph. The first time GMC covered the repair cost done by a certified GMC dealership because the vehicle was still under warranty. The same exact thing happened 20 miles later (when the car was out of warranty) and GMC said they could not cover it because the car was out of warranty - but it was the same issue. All the times I have had this vehicle checked, I have been told it's transmission issues. Not to mention a whole bunch of other issues with this vehicle. This car is a huge safety hazard.

- Easton, PA, USA