Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 232016

Daytime running lights bulbs repeatedly burned out and now the wire harness has melted down. Fuse failed to trip. Damage has now been caused to the entire drl assembly (melting, see photo). Additionally I am concerned that whatever caused the bulb and wiring to melt will cause a vehicle fire and endanger my family. There are many cases of the drl bulb and harness melting, but my local GM dealer said there was no recall when I called to discuss the issue. GM/Saturn released a letter authorizing paid repairs, that was valid from 2011-2013, but these vehicles are still on the road, and it needs to be a recall regardless of warranty status. The replacement parts have been recalled--GM knows there is an issue with these components.

- Woodland, CA, USA

Aug 202016

I have hid headlight and both daytime running lights have severely melted and cracked reflectors. Both bulbs were melted into there sockets to the point I had to completely replace the socket. When I attempted to re insert the socket into the reflector housing I was un able to install it as the reflector was missing over half of the retaining ring due to it being melted. One socket looked extremely blackened due to excessive heat. Both light are temp installed as I am unable to correctly install due to severely melted reflector.

- Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA

Jun 022016

I just replaced my left side low beam light for the second time in the past 12 months. When I pulled out the old bulb, it looked burnt on the tip of instead of the first time I treplaced it a year ago when the wires became loose and burnt out like a typical light bulb. Today is the second time within a week that the speakers went out and there was no sound coming out at all. The main fuse is good and I drained the water from the connectors on all the doors. There seems to be a shortage somewhere in the system because it would take 5-10 minutes for the sound to come back on. Does anyone know any solutions to fix this problem diy instead of taking it to the dealer?

- Fort Campbell, KY, USA

Feb 132015

I have a 2008 GMC Acadia and my passenger low beam kept going out every 2-3 months. Finally after replacing it 5 times, we found out the wiring harness was getting so hot it actually melted the harness. I've read several times that this is a normal thing, but GMC refuses to do a recall on the headlights. Not only is it dangerous to only have 1 low beam working, but it is a fire hazard if you just keep replacing the bulb. My wiring harness is so bad that it disintegrated in my hand the last time I went to change a bulb. That's how I found out there's a major problem.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Apr 012016

The running lights burn out frequently. Not at the same time. Each one we've replaced at least 4 times, which is way too much. We are using good quality bulbs too. Now the inside of the headlight assembly is melted where the bulb socket itself snaps in so we can't keep the socket and bulb in its place. The replacement headlight assembly is not cheap for this vehicle

- Franksville, WI, USA

Jan 092016

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. While driving at unknown speeds, the front passenger side headlight became inoperable without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed; however, the bulb was replaced. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred on two separate occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Lancaster, SC, USA

Nov 012010

The headlight covering has melted to where the lights are not bright enough to really see well at night. Car has 103,000 and the headlight assembly has let water into the inside and. The lights are on all the time and the covering is plastic. We have owned the car since new. Saw and have read reports of others with the same condition.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Nov 202015

The daytime running lights have been replaced several times. The mechanic indicates, the holding fixtures are melting and the electrical wires are melting. This constitutes a potential fire situation. GMC must be responsible for the under-engineered assembly.

- Hanover, PA, USA

Aug 102015

Driving the vehicle down the road - all of a sudden the low beam headlights cut off. We were able to switch to high beams and they work - but the low beam lights are both out. Sounds like the same issue noticed in a recent announcement with GM vehicles like the trailblazer - but the arcadia was not listed in the recall notice.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Dec 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

Driver side and passenger side headlamp went out. Replaced bulb and still not light.

- Salisbury , NC, USA

Aug 012014

Acadia 6-cyl

I have been told a million times now that I have a headlight out. It's my daytime running light on the passenger side. So when we went to change the light bulb we noticed that it looked burnt so we cleaned it up and changed the bulb. A few weeks later the light did the same thing but would work once in a while. We took it apart again today to find the same thing that the harness was again burnt looking. This is an extremely common problems with the Acadias. I think it is GM's responsibility to fix it.

- Horseheads, NY, USA

Sep 112014

Acadia 6-cyl

There is a potential fire hazard with the daylight running lights overheating before they burn out on both driver and passenger side. The bulb gets so hot that they melt the bulb socket causing an electrical fire hazard. The heat also has made the headlight housing brittle and cracked to where the socket wont stay in place inside the headlight housing thus causing the bulb to lay on the plastic causing a fire hazard. General Motors knows about this fire hazard because I have called it to there attention and because they have a customer satisfaction program #13135. They have also recalled some 2007 and 2009 to 2011 vehicles but not 2008 with the same problem.

- Imperial, MO, USA

Jan 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

Headlamp wiring melted the headlamp module and bulb receptacle there was no fire but there could have been I was informed there was a service directive on this that expired on 12/31 but I still had to pay $240 to have it repaired when I googled the problem I found multiple complaints about this defect. I feel it is something you should look into.

- Grand Haven, MI, USA

Mar 112014

Right headlight gasket around daytime running light overheated and melted headlight casing causing entire headlight assembly to need to be replaced. Did not discover until realizing daytime light was not coming on. Unsure of how long the issue had been going on.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Nov 042013

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the headlights failed to function properly. The contact also mentioned that the sockets were melted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Bastrop, LA, USA

Oct 302013

Acadia 6-cyl

Day time running light went out and the socket and housing melted.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 212013

Passenger side headlight failed to properly function, bulb was changed and still failed to function properly. Problem seems rooted in manufacturer's wire harness not properly functioning.

- Oak Forest, IL, USA

May 042010

Day time running lights burn out on GMC Acadia. Light gets so hot, they melted and burned the headlight assembly. This is a possible fire hazard. I have had the lamps replaced 4 times by the dealership, between both headlights assemblies. Less then 60,000 miles, the headlight assembly was so badly burnt and bridle, it fell apart in the technicians hand and it would not hold a lamp anymore. The whole entire headlight assembly needs replaced. The problem is caused by heat from the halogen lamps. An easy fix could be replacing the halogen lamps with leds. These are day time lamps only and are on all the time. This is a very poor design and craftsmanship by GMC and a safety issue they are not willing to correct. I have tried addressing the issue directly with GMC with no luck.

- Carson City, NV, USA

Aug 012009

Acadia 6-cyl

I have had multiple problems with the daytime driving lights over heating and causing the entire headlight assembly to melt. Incidences on 8-1-09 8-15-09 4-8-10 and 11-15-12. And again in 2013. The fact that there is enough heat to melt the assembly to the housing tells me there is possibility of a fire. This is obviously a design and mechanical flaw of the vehicle. The consumer end of this is that along with the chance of fire, the vehicle's design requires the entire front grill to be removed in order to replace the headlight wiring harness and housing. This labor intensive method means that replacing this part can cost upward of $900. And it still does not address the initial problem of the overheating that caused the wiring harness to melt into the housing. So you are just waiting for it to happen again and hope that it is within the 30 days warranty for repairs. And wondering if my car is going to catch fire.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

May 252009

Acadia 6-cyl

Multiple problems with this vehicle. It has been in the shop more than 10 times in the past 4 years that I have owned it, frustrating. List of repairs: Timing belt, head lights, steering, camshaft, oil leak, struts, brakes and this is what I can recall mostly.this vehicle has had multiple services especially for service stability track that never gets repaired, they can't find the problem. Also service air bag keeps coming on but dealership cannot do anything while the light is not on. Very frustrated with this vehicle. I have never experienced so many repairs and services with any other vehicle as I have the Acadia. I owned a galant car before the Acadia for 5 years and only had to do one repair in those 5 years I owned it. I regret purchasing this vehicle! I am a single mother of two and I need a dependable vehicle not one that is malfunctioned!

- Dallas, TX, USA