CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 012014

Acadia

Engine light came on now it wont go off. We were not speeding at the time we were only going 5mph so we shut car off waited and turned back on engine light came back on and is not going off.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 012013

Acadia

Car has been shaking and knocking when I brake. I reported this issue to the local GMC dealership when I first brought it in. I actually brought it in to fix something else. This car has many issues. The most recent time I took it in was on September 4th. They want to charge me over $2000 just to try to find the problem even though they already told me it is the transmission. They know that GMC Acadias have been having issues with transmissions (check GMC transmissions board at edmunds.com). Actually GMC should do a recall of these vehicles for this transmission issues as many cars are all having the same issue. I only have 72000 miles on this car and I bought it brand new. So it is an absolute shame that this car is always having transmission issues. I think the dealership already knew that it was a transmission issue when I brought it in several months ago but they never fixed it or addressed it then. I have the records to prove it. Now they want to say it is a transmission issue and want me to pay $2000 just to do an assessment.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jun 292013

Acadia

While out shopping with my children when I attempted to turn off the vehicle to depart for the mall, the ignition turned to the off position, I removed the key but the car remained on. I then noticed that the check engine light illuminated. Shortly after, the car began shaking violently; I assume as it was attempting to shut off. I inserted the key, shifted into to reverse, pulled out of spot and then back in again. Proceeded to turn vehicle off and again, key removed but car still running. Again the violent shaking along with loud noises began. Afraid, I instructed my children to leave the vehicle. We got a comfortable distance from the vehicle and continued to watch. It took 25 minutes for the car to shut totally down. When I went back to the car, as I opened the door, I noticed the warning sound as if the key was in the ignition and also although the entire dash was off, the check engine light was still on, (im not sure how since the car was "off" and no key inserted). I drove the car home and the same thing happened when exiting the vehicle. The car remained on, began shaking and the check engine light also stayed on after the car was totally shut down. Very scary experience. I noticed via the internet that this was not a new issue. I wonder why GM would not have corrected this problem with its vehicles by now. I am a single parent and my teenage daughter sometimes has to run errands for me in this vehicle, I would hate for this to happen when im not with her.... its was frightening enough for me!

- Redan, GA, USA

Sep 142011

Acadia 6-cyl

GMC Acadia 2008. Water leakage from sunroof and or windshield, entering columns containing airbags (water was leaking out of airbags on columns) and down into dash board and down to carpets. Mold building up in roof liner and carpets. Electrical system malfunctions on temperature gauge.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Apr 232011

Acadia

I own a 2008 GMC Acadia. Water leeks from the roof of the car coming in through the sun roof and then leaking through the top cover of the ceiling down onto the third row and down through the front beans where the fuse box is. I have contacted GM multiple times they gave me a reference # of 71-941161425 they continue to say that my truck does not fall under the recall even though they have recalled the same model and year for the exact same reasons. This has the potential of shorting out the fuse box while driving making this truck unsafe to drive the potential of mold build up. I have a 15 month old daughter that is supposed to ride in this and the last thing I need is water from the ceiling dripping on here that has gone through the mold that has built up inbetween the roof and the ceiling cover. GMC refuses to do anything about this stating that is out of warranty. If this fuse box shorts out while we are driving and causes an accident where bodily harm is done GMC is directly responsible for it. I have bought this car recently thinking it would be safe and I was wrong.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Jun 012010

Acadia

I noticed that when driving on an expressway and would attempt to pass a slower moving vehicle, as I would move into the passing lane and attempt to accelerate, the car would hesitate for a few seconds, lose speed, then suddenly downshift and accelerate at an unexpected rate. I also noticed that the car would unexpectedly accelerate or decelerate under normal driving conditions. I bought the vehicle to the dealer for repair, they responded that they could find nothing wrong, but the what I was experiencing was characteristic of the 6-speed transmission on the vehicle. The problem continued and I found it dangerous. I returned the vehicle and the dealer's remedy was to "reset the transmission computer." During this time, I also noticed that the "service stabilitrac and traction control" warning would come on. Onstar recommended I shut off the engine to reset the system. I found this only happened when I first used the car in the mornings to go to work. Again, the dealer said there was nothing wrong and the computers were showing no codes -- they also stated that they could not duplicate the problem. I got the car back from the dealer and it happened again - at 7:00 am. I called onstar and they gave me two codes. I bought the car back to the dealer and gave him the codes. It now seems that there were two defective sensors controlling the stabilitrac / traction control system and how they communicate with the transmission. I was told that GM is changing manufacturers on the sensors. I have not had use of the car since the beginning of June and am still waiting for GM to produce these parts. In the meantime, unexpected acceleration, deceleration, and gear shifting was occurring under all driving situations causing -- in my mind -- a danger to myself, my passengers, and others. The dealer has had the car on five different occasions since June 8. this last service they have had the car since July 20.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA