CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 022016

Running hot

- Sumter, SC, USA

Oct 022016

Acadia

Recently we had a lot of rain and I noticed it once before when it rains constantly water entered the inside of the car. Had the car checked everything seemed okay but on 2 October 2016 the rain was coming in the care through the airbags and when I turned the car off the engine kept running. The following morning no rain but the car wouldn't start and the key got stuck in the ignition. I find this to be costly when the battery not even a year old. Just need to have this issue resolve because putting my car in a garage on rainy days is not an option for me.

Sep 182016

Acadia

1) a transmission switch plate error - warranty repair (GMC never paid my hotel/rental car claim. On hwy with family. 2) transmission issue - paid close to $2000. I asked if this would lead to transmission failure; they told me no, car would be good to go.the person who helped me no longer works at the el paso dealership when I reported he tried to overcharge me. Driving on hwy in el paso with kids. 3) transmission - paid $4000+ for transmission (GMC claims not related to the previous repair); discussed with service dept if we should spend more money on the car...they told me the new transmission would work. (mileage was 125K) the transmission failed while moving from el paso to Colorado springs...no safe place to stop. 4) 2 mos later (now) - claim the timing belt failed and rh tie rods need repair and they say I declined a repair. I never discussed this needed repair and the possibility of a $2600 repair following this $4000 repair...so if they mentioned it, they never said you have $6600 worth of work in front of you. I already was concerned about paying $4000 after paying $2000. It happened on highway. GMC is more than aware of these issues with their cars and they are leaving their customers to deal with it. I have a 2002 GMC Envoy and never paid anything close in repairs. There are serious problems with this make and model. We are also a military family who travels quite a bit. We started getting errors on road trips and we even had the original warranty repair while we were out of town, causing us to be stranded on the side of the highway in the Washington DC area when our car just stopped. GMC is showing a total disregard for its customers. They are aware of these issues and they are not taking any responsibility for them. They are putting their customers in physical danger and wreaking havoc on our finances. This is disgusting and unacceptable.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 302016

Acadia

Takata recall I took my vehicle to have recall on power lift gate completed. (15240). Upon completion of recall, lift gate became inoperable. Dealer now wants me to pay $500 to get it working again. Lift gate worked fine when vehicle was driven in for service. Please advise what action I can take.

Dec 162015

Acadia

My 2008 GMC Acadia leaks when it rains, the floor boards fill with water & water comes through the interior lights causing them to shorten, blink. The power windows got stuck wouldn't go down almost smashed my kids hand. The worse part driving on interstate at 65-70 traffic slows to 40 and your vehicle doesn't go almost causing the worse accident ever. Seems this wave plate, shift solenoid is a manufacturer defect especially since I was only a few months after initial purchase and the truck was returned to dealer for same issue so that means the transmission they replaced the bad one with was so bad or reached its time out mileage. This should be a recall if it happened shortly after purchase (purchased used) then it happens again with the replacement transmission and all the threads in have read every owner is experiencing this, someone will have bad accident possibly death. Does death have to occur for us to get better resolve and make GMC take care of this. Over $5,000 was tough to christmas time

- Webster, TX, USA

Dec 232015

Acadia

I had a recall for my driver side, side impact air bag wire harness. The dealer in duluth mn (kolar) fixed it but light came on for check engine. Brought it back and they are telling me it is the pps sensor for the passenger airbag. There is a recall for this, but not on my Acadia. They want $600 plus labor to replace. Totaling around $950. Had another recall for the power lift gate, stating that the struts could possibly fail prematurely, causing the power lift gate to drop. As I was loading the back of the vehicle, the lift gate suddenly dropped on my head. I brought it to kolar in duluth mn and told them that the struts from the recall were shot and needed replacement. I picked the vehicle up after a day of them telling me that the recall had been successful. A week after I took the car home, the lift gate fell on my wife. I come to find out that kolar never replaced the struts, even after me talking to the mechanic and him assuring me that they would be changed out. It is now sitting at the dealer waiting for back ordered struts to come in to be installed.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Dec 312015

Acadia

The airbag on/off lights would both light up at the same time so you didn't know if it was functioning properly. The warning "service airbag" came on. This was while driving any speed, any type road, also while the car was in park. Key would not come out of ignition, the engine would turn off but electrical would still be working. Also the power saver mode kicked in and we had to have the vehicle jumped.

- Dodge Center, MN, USA

Sep 192015

Acadia

The vehicle described in this complaint has a leak on the drivers side sun roof. Took vehicle to dealer to have problem resolved. Tech indicated that water was draining slowly. Tech indicated that drains were blown out and water was draining out in a faster rate. As of today's rain storm, sun roof continues to leak. Leak occurs when vehicle is sitting still and during movement.

Nov 102015

Acadia

Transmission started getting sluggish around 88, 000 miles. Vehicle wouldn't crank due to electrical stabilizer, now my sunroof is leaking. Dealership is going to charge me $275 dollar to unblock the sunroof drains what a rip off when this is the three time I have had the drains cleaned and the sunroof still leak. This has to be a GMC problem that they refuse to acknowledge. The transmission is still under the GMC warranty so thank god I don't have to pay out of pocket for that. The electrical modules seem to be okay for now but at any giving time the vehicle may stop working. GMC should own up to these problems and look out for their customers.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Nov 182015

Acadia

I made a previous complaint filed here under NHTSA id number: 10765088. The local garber GMC dealership sealed the sunroof and cleaned the clogged hoses that drain water from the roof. They also replaced the passenger side airbag for a total of $600. They gave a guarantee that there would be no more leaks. On November 18 the car began leaking from the front passenger side airbag area and water poured from the roof onto the glove compartment when I made a full stop. Currently awaiting a return call from the service manager of GMC dealer. I have video of the problem. I was driving in the rain from one college campus location to another, in other words many stop and go and side streets at 30 mph or less. The car made squealing noises as well which happened last time too (September of this year).

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Oct 062015

Acadia

Power liftgate does not work. Liftgate will not open on its own, and when I open it, it slams down. This could cause injury to me or my children.

- Gardendale, AL, USA

Oct 012015

Acadia

Water enters the interior of the vehicle as the sunroof drains continue to clog up and water falls on driver and driver side electrical fuses.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 152014

Acadia

During acceleration the vehicle vibrates when going between 35 and 45 mph. Was not able to reproduce issue at dealership last fall, but is now getting much worse. Happens almost everytime the vehicle accelerates.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Jun 012015

Acadia

The liftgate on my 2008 GMC Acadia does not stay up and keeps coming down on our heads and body.. I saw that there were recalls on this item but not on my VIN?? this is a major safety issue.

- Shirley, NY, USA

Jan 102015

Acadia

This vehicle leaks through the sunroof and it goes all around the interior of the vehicle. Since it leaks inside I'm afraid it is going to reach the electrical components of the vehicle. It also leaks around where the battery is at an it can cause a shortage. Water also falls in through all the way to the carpet where the driver and passenger side, I don't know if the rear rows are affected. This makes the car have a ugly smell and sometimes I can't even breathe in my own car-- it smells extremely humid and horrible. The water that leaks in also leaves nasty marks around the interior roof of the car that really makes me feel depressed as soon as I open my door and see it. This problem really concerns me and I've also see multiple reviews of people with the same vehicle that have this problem. I can't drive my car in the rain or take it through the car wash without water leaking inside, and I hope one day it doesn't cause a fire in the electrical components.

Nov 302012

Acadia 6-cyl

Just after buying my 08 Acadia everything on it went wrong. But now 2 half years later and only 13000 miles I cant take anymore. The sunroof has leaked since we bought it. I hardly ever drive it due to the leak and the noise the steering makes. Returned to dealer. They said drain tubes clogged. Still leaked. Carried to body shop they said same thing. Fixed again. Still leaks. Called GM dealer today said they cant fix it.they said to call body shop I just got it back from. They said that is who they would carry it too. I can only assume that I have mold issues. I can only assume my airbags wont work. I also figure with all the wiring wet anything could happen. I promise when something happens to my family due to this car GM will pay. I will make it my life work to make them pay.

- Prospect, TN, USA

Apr 022015

Acadia 6-cyl

HVAC blower motor submerged in water. Causing motor to fail. No defrost. Effecting field of vision. No sunroof on this model Acadia. Seems to be from condensation. Also concerned about electrical failure.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jul 072014

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission needs to be completely replaced. Most of my mileage is in-town driving and have under 64,000 miles. I have heard of many GMC Acadia's 2007-2009 having transmission problems.

- North Mankato, MN, USA

Dec 302008

Acadia

In light of the all the safety recalls by GM for ignition switch failures, I believe that my wife's crash in our 2008 GMC Acadia was the direct cause of the ignition switch failing. Driving North bound on AZ route 89 in the area of prescott, AZ called the granite dells, the car proceeded straight where the road turns slightly to the right. The cat proceeded into and partially up a granite stone out cropping on the opposite side of the road. The car then went air borne landing up side down on its roof in the middle of route 89. I believe that this accident happened due to ignition switch failure which in turn shut off the engine, power steering, and the entire air bag system which in this accident fail to deploy. My wife was air lifted to northern Arizona medical center in flagstaff, AZ for sever head injure from which she has recovered. It is my belief that the ignition failures that have shown up on other GM cars is also a problem for the 2008 GMC Acadia and possibly other like models of GM vehicles. In my opinion it has to be ignition switch failure that shut down the engine, power steering and air bag system causing this accident.

- Chino Valley, AZ, USA

Jun 062014

Acadia 6-cyl

The transmission had been hard shifting from 3rd to 4th for about 200 miles. At 25 mph while turning through a very busy intersection the engine revved shifted through what felt like every gear, the car lost acceleration power; going from 25 mph to 10mph. Parked the vehicle. Restarted to find that only first and second gears worked and the check engine light illuminated. During the 200 previous miles of concern; I had heard a faint whine during acceleration. The first time any trouble occurred the vehicle was stopped behind a school bus loading and while I applied the brake (still completely stopped) the car lurched forward. I immediately shifted to neutral, not wanting to rear end the school bus.

- Grantville, GA, USA