Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Jan 162013

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated while driving approximately 5 mph attempting to make a turn, an abnormal noise emitted from the steering wheel. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Shannon, MS, USA

Nov 042013

Acadia 6-cyl

Since the day I purchased my 2008 GMC Acadia I have been having trouble with the power steering. When I start to turn the vehicle the power steering goes completely out. It continues to get worse daily. The first time I took it to GM they told me that it just needed power steering fluid. So they filled it up. This did nothing to correct the problem. I took it back for a second time, and GM said that they could find nothing wrong with the power steering. The power steering stops working and when making a turn it is almost impossible to make the turn. Next, I took my Acadia to a independent repair shop. They told me that the steering rack, or as GM calls it, the rack and pinion was cracked and needed to be replaced. I then spent around $800 to have the steering rack replaced. I began driving it hoping this would solve the problem but it did not fix the steering problem. I took the Acadia back to GM, and they looked at it again. They told me the rack and pinion, or the steering rack was faulty. I told them about replacing it 3 months ago, and they told me that unless I had replaced both the steering rack and the pump at the same time then the part that was not replaced would cause the other part to fail. Next, I took it back to the local repair shop and told them what GM had said. They looked at the steering rack that they had replaced and told me that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the new part they had replaced. They looked into the manuals and internet replacement guides for GM parts and could find nothing saying you had to replace both parts or the one that was not replaced would fail. The power steering continues to fail. It should be recalled.GM will do nothing unless I replace both parts. I guess I will have to wait until someone dies to get GM to take care of the problem and hold their company responsible for the faulty parts on the 2008 GMC Acadia.

- Opelika, AL, USA

Oct 032014

At low speeds, the power steering seems to shut off. It then randomly turns back on. This is extremely dangerous because when turning the wheel hard to make up for the lack of power steering, it sometimes kicks back on which makes the vehicle veer. Another example of a dangerous GMC issue that they refuse to address until multiple people die in mvas.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Apr 112014

Acadia 6-cyl

Well a lot happened with this car. First the power steering pump went out. Then the lifters had to be replaced at 54000 miles. Then at 104000 miles the lifters are back making the same noise that it made the last time I took it to shop.the transmissions went out at 108000. Got it replace. But the heads are still rattling. Then there is the electric problem my windows want go up or down most of the time they said the motors or still good in them. They said that it need electric work that's why my gauges go crazy sometimes. Then there are the struts and shocks that went out at 60000 miles. Ever since I put my car in the shop at peilter Chevrolet in lufkin Texas I have had nothing but trouble. They fix a recall in the tire area on my car, and I think it wasn't done right. They didn't put my tire guards all the way back on its missing screws. They said that's the way it was I told them it wasn't hanging down when they got it. Then when the replace my heads and I picked up my car. The black guard pieces that goes under the hood had screw setting on it. The where not put back in it. Then there was a 2 bigger screw and the didn't know what they went to. I had more thing wrong when I got my car back from them then when I carried it to them. I researched GMC Acadia and I realized that a lot of people had the same thing like lifters replacement, transmission replacement at around 90000 miles to 110000 miles, problems with there struts and shocks. Power steering and much more. What I cant figure out is why hasn't there been recall on the transmission and heads or lifters, if everybody is having this much trouble out of these parts on the 2008 Acadia's. we all pay good money for these vehicle's and to have this much trouble out of them there not worth what we pay for them we are getting cheated out of our hard earned money. That's the way I feel about it.

- Pineland, TX, USA

Sep 282014

When turning into a parking spot or driveway, slow speeds, steering loses power. Has done this as long as I have owned it and keeps getting worse. It also has a popping noise when turning. What im reading is there are alot of complaints of this matter.

- Saucier, MS, USA

Jul 262014

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering went out while driving. Unable to turn wheel.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jul 042014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the steering rack and pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 72,000.

- Stampford, CT, USA

May 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering stops working intermittently, making car very difficult to control and maneuver.

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Dec 302008

In light of the all the safety recalls by GM for ignition switch failures, I believe that my wife's crash in our 2008 GMC Acadia was the direct cause of the ignition switch failing. Driving North bound on AZ route 89 in the area of prescott, AZ called the granite dells, the car proceeded straight where the road turns slightly to the right. The cat proceeded into and partially up a granite stone out cropping on the opposite side of the road. The car then went air borne landing up side down on its roof in the middle of route 89. I believe that this accident happened due to ignition switch failure which in turn shut off the engine, power steering, and the entire air bag system which in this accident fail to deploy. My wife was air lifted to northern Arizona medical center in flagstaff, AZ for sever head injure from which she has recovered. It is my belief that the ignition failures that have shown up on other GM cars is also a problem for the 2008 GMC Acadia and possibly other like models of GM vehicles. In my opinion it has to be ignition switch failure that shut down the engine, power steering and air bag system causing this accident.

- Chino Valley, AZ, USA

Nov 122013

Acadia 6-cyl

So the window switches don"T work, when I'm trying to open the window it will open but then it won't close back, the steering wheel makes squeaking noises and most important the most costly thing to repair was the transmission. We purchased the car used with 53,000 miles on and after driving another 20,000 miles the transmission broke I had to pay out of my packet about 4,000 dollars for the repair I have two small children and when it comes for safety im not sure if we should keep the vehicle. When I'm reading all those recall issues I'm getting worried about my kids safety.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Jul 302013

Acadia 6-cyl

We bought our 2008 GMC Acadia in January 2008. The battery died in July 2008 while vacationing in Canada leaving us stranded. After it went dead several more times the dealership replaced it. The air conditioning went out several times in 2010 and we had to pay to have the ac recharged twice since. In July 2013 we had to have the transmission replaced when it stopped shifting into gear. Our warranty had expired in January of that year. The dealership did get GM to pay half but it still cost us almost $2,000. Now it is at the dealership again and we have to replace the entire steering column as it lost power steering at low speeds. We are having it repaired at an estimate of nearly $1,800 more. This vehicle cost about $36,000 in 2008. Since then we have paid thousands of dollars just to keep it on the road and safe. This is a lemon and I would like to see a recall for both the transmission and loss of steering at low speeds. I see that both of these are common problems with this vehicle. I would like to be reimbursed for our expenses.

- Swartz Creek, MI, USA

May 142014

I had been hearing a clunking sound while turning the wheel at lower speeds lately, but on the way to my mother in laws house, with our one year old son in the car, the power steering felt like it went out. We took it to the dealership hoping it was an inexpensive fix, but were not so lucky. This repair will set us back about $1,500! ridiculous! I looked online and was shocked to see so many issues with the steering of this vehicle. I truly love the look and ride of my Acadia, but safety always comes first when it involves my family.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

May 062014

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering failure again! 4/30/2010 at 23624, then 10/31/2013 at 80110, now only driven approx. 6,000 more miles and power steering is failing again May 2014. 10/31/2013 master cylinder also had to be replaced. I absolutely loved my Acadia for the first 50,000 miles, but ever since I started having transmission issues, this vehicle has turned to a money pit. I will never buy a general motor family vehicle again. Very disappointed with the short life of this american made vehicle.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Mar 032014

Car loses power steering intermittently at low speeds, such as in parking lots. The issue only last a few seconds, then returns to normal.

- Leawood, KS, USA

Jan 072014

Acadia 6-cyl

This is the 5th or 6th time that my steering has locked up while driving. I love my Acadia, but it seems as if its falling apart. I'm scared to drive it because of the awful noise my steering is making. Its hard to turn and at moments it just locks up why driving. I'm afraid of hurting my children, myself, or even worse others!!! this problem needs to be fixed. Due to the numerous others that are experiencing the same problems, this is defiantly a manufacture default.

- Sweetwater, TX, USA

Apr 072014

Acadia 6-cyl

There is an intermittent loss of power steering causing complete loss of control of the vehicle. This is a common recurring problem on the GMC Acadia class SUVS. This has now happened at least three times while my wife was driving the car, all fortunately while she was driving a low speeds and able to stop before running off the road. The power steering seems to "come back" without reason as well. My dealer is telling me that I need to replace both the power steering pump and steering rack due to internal leaks caused by seal failures. This sounds like a manufacturing defect due to either design of the seals or incompatible steering fluid being installed at the factory that adversely affects the seals. Here is a link to a consumer forum about the Acadia - just put "power steering" in the search field and host of repeated problems will come up.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Apr 082014

My power steering is making a noise and at low speeds it is very hard to turn, seems like it has reverted back to manual steering. I am anxious that it may stop working as I am driving. Taking it in for diagnosis on 04/10/14. I saw a recall on power steering issues with some makes with GM. This seems like the same problem.

- Eaton Rapids, MI, USA

Aug 282013

Steering piping and making noise. Locking up. And loose gear box. Hundreds of reviews online, no permanant fixes. GM not fixing multi car issues. Many wrecks due to this, read the reviews. Wife jumped a curb with kids in car, not her fault steering locked up, we replace everything dealer said still not working right.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Apr 032014

The transmission again is going out on it for the 3rd time. This last time there was snow on the road and when it kicks down because of the wave plate failing again this time I was going around a corner and it kicked down and made me slide off the road I was able to get out and almost hitting the guard rail

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 202014

Three times in one day my Acadia GMC 2008, steering refused to respond correctly. Each of the tree times it refused to steer. Car on no other time has shown this problem before now. But only purchased used car three months ago. This seems to be a common problem with car that is not being handled under a recall. Steering box and power steering pump on car seem very underpowered. On the three times it happened on 3/20/2014 two where on highway driving conditions in which I was on an on ramp attempting to navigate a circle on ramp in which I almost had to stop car to prevent it from running off road do to lack of power on turn. On another I was attempting to perform a U-turn in which I almost hit a cub. U turn should have been easy do to the fact I had three lanes to perform the turn. In this case I came extremely close to curb and close to damaging car due to impact with 8 inch curb. All three events came on same trip!

- Saginaw , TX, USA