Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jul 292016

While driving at interstate speeds in 90+ degree weather, the 2008 GMC Acadia experienced a complete loss of power. Engine quit along with all electronics, power steering and power brakes. Let car sit for 20 minutes and it started up and drove fine for a week or so then the same issue occurred again. This has happened 3 times within 5 weeks. The vehicle has been into an independent mechanic and two dealerships. Of those dealerships, we have taken the vehicle to the local autonation GMC dealer 3 times over the course of 2 weeks and all groups who have looked at the vehicle stated that they could not find and "codes" after running the computer diagnostics. We have requested an on-board diagnostic computer to be ordered from autonation GMC park meadows (co) but have received no response. This is a very dangerous issue while driving at highway and interstate speeds. Have researched other consumers with the same situation on the NHTSA website.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jun 162016

I noticed that when driving on an expressway and would attempt to pass a slower moving vehicle, as I would move into the passing lane and attempt to accelerate, the car would hesitate for a few seconds, lose speed, then suddenly downshift and accelerate at an unexpected rate. I also noticed that the car would unexpectedly accelerate or decelerate under normal driving conditions. I bought the vehicle to the dealer for repair, they responded that they could find nothing wrong, but the what I was experiencing was characteristic of the 6-speed transmission on the vehicle. The problem continued and I found it dangerous. I returned the vehicle and the dealer's remedy was to "reset the transmission computer." During this time, I also noticed that the "service stabilitrac and traction control" warning would come on. It dosen't matter if your driving or idle or in park these warnings and problems still exist.the dealer fixed one wheel sensor but the problem still occurs. The service airbag warning lights still comes on there was a recall for that I had it fixed but warning still comes on. This vehicle has had so many recalls automatic lift gate, air bag warnings, power steering pump and hose. The rack & pinion will need to be replaced in the vehicles short life span, all of the suspension parts bushings will have to be replaced at some point so this means control arm, sway bar sway, sway bar links toe links of course with these issues you will have to replace struts and shocks, can government/General Motors sell a vehicle this expensive and have so many problems these vehicles are unsafe to drive something needs to be done about this before someone gets seriously 08 GMC Acadia is pure garbage someone needs to be held accountable because these vehicles have major mechanical and electrical issues, recalls and are unsafe to be driving

- Springfield, MA, USA

Jun 012016

2008 Acadia purchased new. Noticed power steering becoming more and more difficult at low engine speed over the last couple of years. Fluid level ok. Took to dealer to assess and quote. They said it was a common problem with Acadia, traverse, outlook, and enclave. They said it needed power steering pump, reservoir and steering rack, about 1,100 dollars to fix. They said GM had extended the warranty to 120,000 and my vehicle was not covered. 152,000 actual miles. I googled this problem and found out just how common it is, and that the warranty coverage actually was to 150,225 miles. I called the GMC customer engagement center after stewing over this for a couple of months. They said that since I was beyond the allowed mileage, there was nothing they could do. I was talking with my boss about this. He has a 2009 enclave with 60K miles. He is having the same problem with steering, and dealer told him it was not covered. I showed him what I had found. He is going back to the dealer with documentation. This is a serious safety issue when steering is entirely manual at low engine speed for instance pulling into a parking spot or drive. Even turning a corner when not accelerating. Parallel parking is almost impossible. GM should have recalled these vehicles. I am going to have to pay to get this fixed. GM has just lost a customer.

- Wabash, IN, USA

Jun 012015

My 2008 Acadia is now on it's 4th thermostat. I'm about to send it in to have it replaced. My SUV keeps overheating. So far I have replaced the radiator, thermostat, and stability track. Is there any one else who has this problem?

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Apr 072016

I own a 2008 GMC Acadia I have had it used since Jan 2015 I have had it in dealership almost every 3 months since I bought it. I was recently driving and had a fire in the passenger heated seat where my daughter was sitting and it burned a small hole in her jeans so far GMC is checking to see if its a defective equipment failure or not? in the mean time my sunroof has quit working and now my roof is leaking and my car smells like mold. The whole electrical system is going crazy with flashes of interior lights. I also had the vehicle stop on me in the middle of parking and found out the power steering pump needed to be replaced. They need to have a recall on these vehicles because our children ride with us and they are unsafe especially now that her jeans are burned and she has a small pink spot from the heated seat. The dealership told me today likely the seat wont be replaced and if its not I will be contacting me a lawyer. My children S safety come first. Hopefully the will also do a recall on the electrical equipment and the sunroof leaking because our vehicles are not safe after water gets onto all the electrical devices and shorts out and may cause a fire next.

- Bassett, VA, USA

Nov 302015

Received notice from GM re power steering, do not take to vehicle for service unless problem is known. I took vehicle for tire rotation and mechanic noticed power steering fluid leaking, caused damage to rack, pinion, etc. (estimate attached). Called GM dealer and GM cust service, will only cover defective power steering pump not the damage caused by defective pump. Since GM advised not to get fixed until issue occurs (I still have power steering, was not aware of the issue until tires were rotated) why should I be liable for the additional damage caused? also, this morning 12/08/15, while taking my daughter to school, the car buckled and stabiltrak, check engine light came on with a message "power reduced", only able to drive 20-25 miles. The same issue occurred appx. A year ago and I filed a complaint. The light goes and off just like a year ago. After reading several bulletins for the 2008 GMC Acadia, all the above issues are a known issue. I should not have to pay for vehicle defects that are common in all of the vehicles.

- Shillington, PA, USA

Nov 222015

Temporary and intermittent loss of power steering during maneuvering and turning causes safety and control issues. During the loss of power steering event the steering wheel requires a driver to apply more than normal amounts of torque to get the steering wheel to rotate. This is especially true (requires more than normal amounts of torque) when the speed of the steering wheel input is increased to perform sharp turns or low speed maneuvering. This is a known problem, but GM will not fix the problem based on reports from consumers who have had the problem. They will fix this safety issue if there a complete failure of the power steering pump that can be recreated in the garage by their dealer service department. This presents a safety issue, because a complete failure in the system is then going to occur while driving on public roadways and may result in a crash prior to getting the vehicle to the dealership for repairs. This event may happen 0 to 5 times a day/trip.

- Ridgeway, OH, USA

Oct 092015

Re: dissatisfied customer experience from a loyal customer. Beginning in 2014, after narrowly avoiding serious from the collapse of the rear lift gate while loading the vehicle, suffering minor scraps and bruising. I brought my vehicle to the nearest GMC service center and received a quote for replacement struts. I later had them replaced in 2015 at my own expense, only more recently becoming aware that it was due to a part failure and subject to recall and replacement. Of which I will follow up with a reimbursement request. Following that incident my steering column tightened during turns forcing me to exert extreme pressure in slow speed turns, creating a hazard to both myself and others. After several trips to the service department and the performing of stated remedies prescribed by the GMC service mechanic, the problem still persist and more recently it being suggested that the problem was related to suspension struts and possibly transmission issues since the 'check engine' light was on with for codes related to the transmission control module were present. Through my own research I found out that all of these issues are related to either recalled items or items listed in technical service bulletins, yet now I'm being told that my cost would be $1900 for repairs and an additional $1500 to replace a faulty navigation/entertainment system, due to a suck disc. Collectively, I find these events, the mechanical failures and the fact that the burden for these failures and events are being placed on the customer as being absurd and egregious. I choose to purchase this vehicle to support american companies such as yours and drive american made vehicles out of loyalty to you, but if this is the reward I receive from my loyalty I think it is about time I begin rethinking things.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Aug 152014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that during rainy weather conditions, water would enter the vehicle through the driver side of the vehicle and the undercarriage. As a result, the steering column and the emergency brake failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Aug 282015

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering rack was damaged due to the power steering pump being fractured and damaging the rack. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,922.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Jul 142015

As I was driving on the interstate, my power steering suddenly went out. I got to my destination and fluid was just leaking everywhere. I had my vehicle towed to a dealership after I researched my problem. I was aware there was a special notice out about this vehicle and the power steering issues. GM was initially only willing to fix the power steering pump, not the power steering cooling line and power steering gear. After complaining and questioning, the dealership was able to get the cost down, but GM would not cover the cost entirely to make my vehicle drivable again. This is a known issue and they have admitted to it being a problem, yet they aren't willing to foot the bill to fix it back to the condition it was prior to this issue. While they offered me a much better price to fix it, they should fix it at no cost to me. The wording in the special statement was "steering pump wear" and "sudden loss of hydrolic pressure." Both of which would lead me to believe the word leak should be covered as well. Wear to me mean things being less than perfect and sudden loss of pressure means leak. Inexcusable for GM to weasel out of fixing this issue completely.

- Mooresville, IN, USA

Apr 142014

Acadia 6-cyl

The steering wheel in our car had become increasingly difficult to turn, especially at low speeds (parking, in particular initially). We took the vehicle in a couple of times and the mechanic tried several repairs such as replacing the power steering fluid as well as looking for leaks in the power steering. (none were found). The car would drive better after being serviced, but within a couple of days/weeks began to experience the same issues. Finally it got so bad that we could barely turn the vehicle while driving and the car could no longer be driven. We returned it to the mechanic who discovered that the steering rack was completely damaged because the steering pump was bad and had not been sending fluid to the rack. We had both replaced at that time (April, 2014). We received notification in September 2014 that GMC issued a recall on the power steering pump as it was causing "an intermittent drop of power steering hydraulic pressure that will cause reduced or loss of steering assist." We have been in contact with GMC since that time about being reimbursed for both the pump and the rack since the two are clearly related and they informed us that only the pump was covered (because that's all they recalled) despite the fact that the pump is what caused the damage to the rack and the rack is what made our car un-drivable. The steering rack should also be on a recall list since damage to it is definitely a safety issue. It seems to me that the public recall should have been for the pump and any subsequent damage caused by the pump, including to the rack and pinion system.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Mar 192015

Acadia 6-cyl

It is difficult to turn the power steering it's making aloud noise and hard to turn.

- Hatfield, PA, USA

Feb 022015

Acadia 6-cyl

2008 GMC Acadia. Consumer requests repairs for his airbag light and the steering. The consumer stated the power steering would go in and out, and the vehicle became difficult to steer. The consumer was informed the air bag recall, did not include his vehicle.

- Black River Falls, WI, USA

Feb 092015

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering failed and transmission stuck in 3rd gear from a stop, couldn't move out of the way of a car and got hit.

- Mission, TX, USA

Aug 102010

My husband and I purchased a new 2008 GMC Acadia in August 2009. Within the first year or so I noticed that the headlights were dim and the plastic over the lights started to peel. I contacted the dealership and they said there was nothing they could do, that wasn't covered under the warranty. I called GM direct and they also said there wasn't a recall and that it was probably a chemical that we used to wash our car, that caused the peeling. They quoted me $800 for a new set of headlights... ugh... a year or so later, I began having trouble with the struts. They began to leak. I thought it was my brake line and I took it into the shop and they told me that the struts were bad and needed replacing. At that time there was around 36,000 miles on the vehicle. I had them changed out and the mechanic told me they were the worst he had ever seen. After the repair, the vehicle has never been the same. It's not near as smooth as it was and it makes noise. I had it checked to be sure they were installed properly and they were. The whole process cost me about $900 the next issue I have had is more sever. This just happened a few months ago. I was taking my children to school and the vehicle stalled. All the lights came on and said stable track went off and the engine lost pressure and the vehicle stalled. After it cooled down I could drive a little further and the same thing would happen again. I took it back to the shop and they said it was the throttle and it would probably need to be replaced. They cleaned it for now, but I am scared to drive it anywhere! now the power steering is making noise when you turn the wheel, sounds like the power steering pump might be going out now as well. The vehicle only has 65,000 miles on it..

- Tucumcari, NM, USA

Nov 132014

Acadia 6-cyl

2008 GMC Acadia. Consumer is upset about the services received from GM. The consumer stated a failed component, caused a leak in the power steering gear box.

- Waynesburg, OH, USA

Sep 272014

We were out in South Dakota 200 miles from home. We were driving the Acadia and the transmission began to slip. We didn't think anything of it at first. We drove the Acadia home and scheduled to have the car looked at. On the Monday after we got home, I was driving my kids to school when suddenly the car went completely out of gear and the check engine light came on. I tried putting it into park and then back into gear and had no luck in getting it to go into gear. I shut the engine off and started it again and it did go into gear. I dropped my kids off at school and when in park it went out of gear again. I shut the engine off and on again and got it to go into gear. Drove it directly to the auto shop. They ran the codes. They said it was a 3/5 wave plate issue. Had to have the transmission rebuilt. 2200 for the rebuild. Reading online that this seems to be a common issue with vehicles. Talked to the transmission shop and they said they were rebuilding 8 of these a week from the Saturn, Buick, Chevy and Acadias with the 6 speed transmission. They said the wave plate wasn't heat treated at the factory or something like that. It gets heated and deteriorates. GM would do nothing to help. Hopefully, you guys can.

- Darwin, MN, USA

Oct 212014

Acadia 6-cyl

While attempting to turn into a parking spot at a shopping center, I lost power steering completely. I was able to man handle the vehicle into a parking area that was sparsely occupied and did not hit anything. If I had been in a different area of the parking lot, there were a lot of pedestrians, pushing strollers and most had children with them. I could have hit several of them and had no control over the vehicle. I took it to the mechanic and he said that the rack and pinion needed replacing. I have now received a bulletin from GMC advising that if I have had a problem with steering, I should take it to my closest dealer for them to run a diagnostic. However, if the diagnostic didn't show specifically that the problem was the power steering pump, then I would be responsible for the cost of the diagnostic plus any repairs needed. My mechanic has advised me that the pump is fine, but the rack and pinion needs replacing since the seals or cylinders have been leaking. I had to add power steering fluid at about 23K miles, but the dealer stated it was probably just not filled up when it was off the factory line. So, I have to leave the vehicle at the mechanic until I can afford to have it repaired since I don't want to drive it. I could have killed someone due to this power steering failure. My research show that this problem is common for the 2008 Acadia and I feel GM should stand up and do the right thing for those of us who bought this vehicle.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Mar 012010

Acadia 6-cyl

Steering locks up. When you take off from a stop sign or traffic light and want to make a right or left turn the steering will lock up to a point where you can't turn. There had been several occasions that I was almost in an accident. Replaced rack and pinion 3 times and power steering. Water pumps are defective, replaced 2 before 100,000 miles transmission went out at 73,000 miles. Every issue that is stated above the dealer didn't want to replace under warranty, even after contacting GM. It took a lot of fighting with GM to replace the transmission when there was known problems with these transmissions being faulty.

- Kennewick, WA, USA