2009 GMC Acadia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Acadia:

2009 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 282014

Acadia 6-cyl

Vehicle's check engine light came on and immediately thereafter, car began sputtering/hesitating while driving on the freeway.

- Irvine, CA, USA

May 222014

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while at a stop light, the vehicle began to shake and failed to accelerate. In addition, the check engine warning light illuminated and there was a burning odor present. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that all the ignition coils, engine computer, spark plugs and gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 124,816.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Sep 092013

Acadia 6-cyl

My 2009 GMC Acadia was purchased in Aug 2009. Aside from routine maintenance, I have already had to replace the water pump, the radiator, & the timing belt (none of which were covered under my warranty) but on September 9, 2013, my transmission let go. The dealership kept my vehicle for 20 days. Claim they couldn't rebuild it and had to get a new one. (which I have since been told that was a lie, that they have to use factory rebuilt transmissions). Got my vehicle back on Sept. 28. on March 22, 2014, I brought it back to dealership because it was showing signs of slipping transmission again. Dealer told me it was fine sent me home. Less than 2 weeks later on April 8, the transmission let go again. No reverse & truck would not move in drive just rev the engine. Back to dealership for "another transmission" this time they had my vehicle for 18 days. I just picked it up 2 days ago. This morning while driving my kids to school, transmission went again! this is unsafe! I am scared to death to drive my kids around in this vehicle! I almost got into an accident this morning because of it! 3 transmissions in 6 months"! this is a red flag don't you think.. how much longer will GMC not value my life or my families?" something needs to be done about this!

- Westport, MA, USA

Nov 112011

Acadia

Driving down the road and notice a deer. Speed limit was 55, so we had slowed down to about 45. Deer crossing in front of us, and we almost come to a complete stop (about 10-15mph). We hit the deer on the passenger front. Get out of the car to assess the damage, and notice a fire under the grill and headlights. Air bags had deployed. Everyone evacuated the vehicle, and it was a total loss.

- Crofton, KY, USA

Jan 132014

Acadia 6-cyl

While driving on the highway my service engine soon light started to flash. It stopped so I continued driving until I arrived home. It was diagnosed as premature timing chain wear due to a faulty oil monitor sensor and it was "repaired". the issue has continued to happen since and the vehicle has been returned to the dealership 3 times to attempt repairs. It was at this point that I started to research this vehicle and found out that GM knows of a random misfire issue after engine removal (mind you this was to repair damage due their faulty part to begin with). They don't know how to fix the issue--it can be electrical or you could replace just about every part under the hood and see if that works. But no guarantee that this will fix it as I stated earlier, they don't know what will fix it. I do not feel safe driving my family around in this vehicle any longer. We live in the North--hence the reason for an AWD vehicle--and I don't want to get stuck somewhere, in below 0 weather with my children in the vehicle. I now own a very expensive vehicle that I don't drive far as I don't know what it is going to do. To me this is a safety issue and liability that they have tried to sweep under the rug like the rest of their issues of late.

- Blair, WI, USA

Jan 012014

Acadia 6-cyl

At approximately 90,000 my engine began misfiring. I took it to a local shop where they performed a full tune-up and replaced all of the plugs. However, there were also coils that were bad and had to be replaced. A week later, my check engine light came back on and the Acadia was missing again. I took it to another shop where they showed me that the plugs were already charred and needed replaced again, and there was another coil pack that needed replaced. A few days later the check engine light came back on and a CO2 sensor was going bad so I replaced it. A few days later the check engine light came back on and the GMC dealer told me 2 of the 3 catalytic converters were bad and needed replaced. My check engine light is still on and I'm just waiting for the thing to explode while I'm driving it. After reading other similar complaints about power steering and engine problems with Acadia's, I'm convinced a major investigation into these vehicles and their safety needs to be launched by the gov. Now there is an air bag recall and in the past have had headlight recalls, water pump recalls, and who knows what else. The whole fleet should be declared lemons!

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Sep 202011

Acadia 6-cyl

I took my 2009 Acadia into the GMC dealer with around 65,000 miles on it after buying it used (1 previous owner) with around 42,000 miles. They told me I had a power steering leak in the rack and pinion and it would cost around $2000 to replace a seal because they have to pull the whole rack off. He told me it would be okay for a while, but eventually it would cause the power steering to go out. After researching, I've seen multiple other Acadia owners who have had the exact same problem. I have refused to pay for the repairs because I think this is a safety issue that has effected enough of this model vehicle to warrant a general safety recall. I know of 3 other people in my hometown who have experienced power steering problems with their Acadia's, and the GMC dealership acknowledged to me that it is a significant problem with GMC Acadia model years 2008-2012. If that's not enough, then I'm not sure what is, but if my power steering goes out while I'm driving, well, let this serve as notice to GMC.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Jun 242013

Acadia 6-cyl

Current issue is a transmission failure, apparently the "3-5-R waveplate." Five months prior, my wife and children were traveling out of state. They experienced a sudden loss of power and were stranded on a rural highway not once, but twice. The vehicle was towed in to a GM dealership, "repairs" were performed under warranty, and we were told we could pick up our car. My wife (again with children in the car) made it less than 10 miles from the dealership before the engine failed again. This time on the bridge of a major highway....no where to even exit the vehicle. After the second incident the engine was replaced (after 3+ weeks of diagnostic work). We were told the dealership was not able to identify the problem that caused the engine failure. Engine was replaced under warranty. Transmission had been shifting erratically for several months. At time of engine failure/replacement, GM dealership that performed the engine replacement advised us that the transmission shifts/slips were "normal" for this particular transmission. They advised a transmission fluid flush, which we authorized. Shifting remained abrupt, slipping continued, but as we were advised this was "normal", we continued driving the vehicle and did not seek further repair. Two weeks ago, (now six weeks out of warranty), the slippage became distinctly more evident, vehicle at one point wound not continue forward motion through an intersection and had to be idled to roadside. After multiple calls, we were advised to take the vehicle to a local GM dealership. Diagnosis of 3-5-R waveplate failure was given. This transmission waveplate failure is a well documented issue that can cause driver and/or passengers to be put at serious risk for injury. Our hope is that an investigation will take place to require GM to recall/repair this issue before someone is needlessly harmed.

- Dixon, IL, USA

Jul 182012

Acadia 6-cyl

In 2 years of ownership I have replaced 4 ignition coils and the vehicle now needs yet another. At roughly 85000 miles (and year 5) the transmission wave plate failed. GM would only authorize a rebuild (last week).

- Prospect, KY, USA

Jan 122014

Acadia

Various GM vehicles have a known defect that allows water from the sun roof drain to enter the passenger compartment and more importantly allows water to enter the passenger compartment fuse block. This defect is covered under service bulletin #08-08-57-003C. This vehicle has had numerous electrical system issues that only occur during heavy rains and the dealer has been unable to recreate the problem after things have dried out so to speak. Most recently after a heavy rain, the battery was dead and when replaced with a new battery, the engine would not shut off even after the key was removed. This is a serious safety concern that can result in injury or death. The only way to shut off the engine is to remove the ECM fuse from the under hood fuse block. Not being able to shut the engine off via the key can have serious life consequences in the event of an emergency. This is a wide spread issue that seems to get worse over time and ends up with not being able to shut the engine off. The GM models affected by the service bulletin as follows: 2008-2012 Buick enclave 2007-2012 GMC Acadia 2007-2010 Saturn outlook

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Oct 312013

Acadia 6-cyl

I bought my GMC Acadia, used with approx 50,000 miles on it and have owned it for less than 4 months and with in the last month have replaced 3 ignition coils and I am assuming will have to replace more. From my understanding there is no issue that is causing the coils to fail other than the part is going bad. And what I was informed is that GMC is now using a different type of ignition coil which would lead me to assuming that the ignition coils they put in the Acadias are faulty. And now the owners are left to foot the bill, which does not seem right. The tough part of my situation is that I purchased this GMC after trading in my Pontiac GTO that was in the shop for 10 months while GM sat around doing nothing for me. All 5 vehicles that I have owned were GM vehicles and needless to say now, I will not be purchasing a GM vehicle ever again. GM customer service is the main reason for this. I understand that these thing happen but GM should make the situation right and have not even come close to making me feel valued as a customer.

- Centralia, MO, USA

Aug 052013

Acadia

Initially noticed when shifting from park to another gear shifting was hard. About a week later noticed hesitation in shifting gears while driving at various rates of speed then the engine would rev once it shifted into gear. Eventually parked the car in drive then went to back out to take to dealership and it would not go into reverse. Vehicle towed to dealership where they replaced the wave plate and other parts that were contaminated. Since this incident the vehicle has not drove smoothly or shifted gears smoothly. It also gets less than 15 miles to the gallon during my daily commute now where prior to the transmission fix I would get 19-20. Vehicle hesitates and revs continually while driving and accelerating. When I returned the vehicle to the dealership stating there was still an issue I received "we could not replicate the issue" and sent on my way. After research on this site and other and reading the systemic issues others have had just like it I am concerned for my family and those around me safety if the transmission decides to stop while traveling high speed in traffic or when crossing traffic.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Sep 022010

Acadia 6-cyl

When accelerating, my car seems to 'slip' or 'stutter' before clicking into gear. This happened in the first year of ownership. The dealership never acknowledged it when I would bring it in to get checked. After a few years of owning it I now know that it is a transmission issue very common with the GMC Acadia. I have read that it is a faulty wave plate. Not sure what that is but now with only 50,000 on my car it is really bad. It barely made it home last night. Transmission is totally slipping and even when just driving along at the same speed it went into limp mode. The gas revved like I was in neutral. This is extremely dangerous as I had a carload of girls on a trip to the mountains. What is it going to take until this causes an accident and casualties! GMC needs to step up and get this part recalled. It is a faulty part and they need to pay for the replacement!!!

- Danville, CA, USA

May 022011

Acadia

Bought used 2009 Acadia in 2011 with 55000 miles and nothing but headache 1) 60K miles: Liftgate came crashing down my wife's back while getting the groceries. They should have some safety measures to stop the gate from crashing. 2) 70K miles: Truck wont start in drive way. Towed truck to dealer and they changed fuel pump. 3) 70K miles: Engine misfire code. Replaced one coil. 4) 76K miles: Coolant always low. Dealer changed water pump. 5) 76K miles: Truck hesitate and feel a misfire between 45 and 55 mph. Took truck to dealer and they quoted me over $3300 to replace all coils, spark plugs, steering wheel column and steering rack busing. 6) since we bought the car we cant even drive it with the windows down or the roof open. The truck shakes roughly with both roof and windows open.

- Kingston, NY, USA