2009 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Acadia:

2009 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 152015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. While driving 10 mph or less, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. The vehicle operates normally at speeds above 10 mph. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Meriden, CA, USA

Jul 042016

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. While driving approximately 65 mph, there was a sudden loss of engine power and the vehicle was unable to be driven over 40 mph. The stability traction control warning indicator illuminated. The dealer was unable to replicate and diagnose the failure. In addition, while driving highway speeds, "engine hot" and "A/C off" appeared on the instrument panel. The contact noticed smoke under the hood. The vehicle was coasted over to the shoulder of the road and turned off. The vehicle was unable to be driven due to the failure and was towed to the dealer. The dealer diagnosed that the water pump needed to be replaced. The dealer replaced the part. The manufacturer was notified of the failures and indicated that they also had campaigns that needed to be addressed. The timing chain needed to be replaced, there was a loss of power steering assist, and the transmission cutlet leave plate failed. There were no recalls. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Alburtis, PA, USA

Sep 182016

Acadia

There is an ongoing and unresolved issue concerning the power steering rack and pump on GM lambda chassis vehicles. The vehicle will intermittently and unpredictably lose power steering assist creating an incredibly dangerous situation. While under warranty the factory quietly supported multiple repairs of the same components- rather than recall this situation GM chose to continue to use their supply of deficient components while they seemed to "wait out" the warranty and thus no longer be liable.

- Old Bethpage, NY, USA

Jun 252016

Acadia

While driving it's like the steering goes out and you can not turn the wheel have almost gotten into several wrecks because of this issue, it does not do it all the time but lately a lot more often the past few weeks, to the point that I'm almost scared to drive it. This is my means of transportation to and from work so I must drive it..

- Ponchatoula, LA, USA

Apr 152016

Acadia

While driving my power steering will go out. I have almost hit several vehicles due to this issue. I think this needs to be addressed asap. I travel with my kids in my vehicle on a daily basis and I am scared to put them in my vehicle due to this issue and I am still paying on my car and can't afford to buy a new one. Please fix this issue,

- Brighton, IL, USA

Apr 282016

Acadia

April 26, 2016 - my wife was at a gas station and said the wheels on the GMC were very hard to turn either way. Shortly thereafter, she started to hear a whining noise when she would turn left or right. A day later, the noise was more pronounced so I went out for a test drive. The steering seemed ok and the whining noise didn't seem that bad too me. April 28, 2016 - my wife said the noise was louder so I test drove it again, this time, I experienced a momentary loss of steering power on low speed. One time I overcompensated when it was hard to turn the wheel but avoided having an accident. I performed the owner's manual checks, power steering fluid level was good. I then goggled for more information online about steering issues and how to resolve on GMC 2009 Acadia and then I ran into the GMC service bulletin sb-10056459-3388 online. The bulletin described the intermittent power loss we experienced. The condition is described as follows "vehicles may develop a power steering pump wear condition that can cause an intermittent drop of power steering hydraulic pressure that will cause reduced or loss of steering assist. The vehicle may revert to manual steering which requires greater driver effort, particularly at low vehicle speeds". I called our local GM's service department for an evaluation but have not received a callback yet. I am concerned because I believe, if not resolved, may turn out to be a safety issue for us.

- Albuquerque, New Mexico, NM, USA

Apr 252016

Acadia

I own a 2009 GMC Acadia. While trying to turn my power steering will go out. I have almost hit 3 different vehicles due to this and barely made it in to a parking lot off of a busy street. This is a very dangerous and serious problem that GMC needs to address. I have a daughter that I am worried about letting ride in the car with me due to this.

- Carthage, TN, USA

Jan 162016

Acadia

I have continued to have issues with the steering in my Acadia. We called the dealership and described the noise it was making and they said it was normal and it was just the 4 wheel drive kicking in. Now the steering is completely out. We were in a busy parking lot when it happened and almost hit a pedestrian as the steering went out as we were turning left. The car was moving slowly at the time. I am now seeing several forums where others are having the same issue. There is even a pending lawsuit. There is also an issue with the electric where the safety power locks do not work. My son has opened the door when the car was moving because of this. I have had 5 recalls on this vehicle, so it's hard to keep up with all the issues.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 012015

Acadia

Headlight out 1.5 mo ago, then other side went out. Mechanics have to remove bumper to get to bulb!!! $300-400 minimum labor and parts. Struts if shock absorbers stuck down after up on rack after 2 different tire changes repairs. Car road wobbly until it was fixed at my E pensr. Is this beautiful car a lemon or what?

- Slidell, LA, USA

Oct 092015

Acadia

I took my 09 GMC Acadia to the GM auto to fix the transmission and they told me they can not fix unless I pay the $2043 to fix my power steering, but I believe its all related to that power steering failure that is cover under the GM policy. And its the same problem to all the Acadia that are out there so I suggest the GM to fix all GMC Acadia without any cost to all the owneri if they fix it right we wouldn't complaint at all

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Aug 102015

Acadia

At low rates of speed, my 2009 GMC Acadia temporarily looses power assist steering. It occurs off and on (not predictable). When the power assist fails, I struggle to turn the wheel while in traffic. At a couple times, the power assist kicked back on suddenly, causing me to overcompensate and almost get into an accident.

- Janesville, WI, USA

May 202015

Acadia

I have a 2009 GMC Acadia. Was purchased in February 2015 from barker GMC dealership. First problem I had was in the first month of me having the vehicle it started to misfire so had to get the coils changed. Then my A/C is not working. In may it started making a clicking noise when I turn the steering wheel. Then end of June sometime and is still occuring it starts when I am going to turn after slowing down it's like my steering wheel gets stuck and is hard to turn. When I am driving at a slow rate or slowing down to turn somewhere that when my steering wheel wants to get stuck. Therefore most definitely poses a danger to family when they are in the vehicle to myself when driving and to others on the rode. This is my family vehicle! I have 3 daughters and 8 month old twin boys in there and I feel unsafe driving it. But I definitely do not have the funds to get these problems fixed and definitely don't feel it is my responsibility to pay for problems that GM knew about for what 3 years now! this vehicle should have never been on the GMC delearship car lot for sale with them knowing of these unsafe problems. I bought this Acadia 2-3 years after this lawsuit was put against them and the people at GMC didn't even bother to tell me about it's unsafe problems with the steering nor did it come up with me checking on this vehicle. If I knew I could go after them to get my 5,500 that I put down on this vehicle and my money back for my car notes I have been paying since March of this year, I would!!! if they cared about the well-being of human life they would not still be selling any of the vehicles that are having these problems til they resolve them!!! there most definitely needs to be a recall. This is causing a safety risk for children, women, and men. Actions definitely need to take place on this matter.

- Houma, LA, USA

Sep 012015

Acadia

At low rates of speed when making a left or right turn the car loses power steering for a couple seconds then reengages. This causes you to over steer once the power steering reengages which on several occasions causes near accidents with other cars on the road. The problem is occurring much more frequently now and we are taking it to the dealer tomorrow. We have had the rack and pinion looked at and replaced by the dealer on several occasions because of low whining noises at low speeds and other problems.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Aug 062015

Acadia

Vehicle was purchased from union park GMC dealership in wilmington delware on 7/24/15. I took it to my local mechanic on 7/27/15 after noticig a whinning noise when steering at low speeds. He recommended returning oit to the dealer for repair. The dealer made no repair and claimed "all these Acadias have this whining noise". I then took it to Maryland state inspection where it failed inspection due to "moisture on rack", indicating a leak and replacement of rack required to pass inspection. Dealer service department claims it viewed the boot and found a stain and referred me to tsb # 3352321. However, it was not made clear if they actually pulled the boot and inspected the rack and inside of boot to determine if fluid was accumulating inside the boot. They also claimed they do not guarantee vehicle will pass inspection. I did notice that when the delaer returned the vehicle it had added power sterring fluid, rasing the level from just below min to just above max level.

- Elkton, MD, USA

Apr 222015

Acadia

Car stalls as I am turning into parking spots, turning or going around significant curves in the road, while im in a round about etc. Luckily I have been able to put the car in neutral and it starts back up and off I go. I am the second owner of this car and I bought it from a non GM dealer. My mechanic is at a loss as to what is wrong because a) there are no codes that are coming up and B) the stalling is very sporadic, it will do it twice in one week and then not do it again for 3 weeks. I have had this car about 5 months and it has happened about a dozen times. I pulled the carfax and called the dealership that did all the work on it with the previous owner. After speaking with the service department, I was told that the previous owner had the same problems and the dealer could not get the car to malfunction while they had it in for servicing. Although she didn't tell me everything that they did to try and resolve the issue, I do know that they went as far as to replace the cylinder head hoping that would solve the issue, but clearly it did not. This is a very dangerous safety issue, I have almost hit several cars due to the fact that when the car stalls, everything locks up and you have no control over anything.

- Canandaigua, NY, USA

Apr 232015

Acadia

I purchased this vehicle on April 20, 2015. A few days later when making a left hand turn at approximately 20mph, the steering wheel locked up and the vehicle was extremely hard to turn, almost causing a head on collision with an oncoming vehicle. We were told that this is a common problem with these vehicles as the steering rack is faulty. We continue to have difficulty turning the vehicle. I am truly surprised that this issue has not become a recall after reviewing all of the complaints regarding this very same issue.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

May 302015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the second row rear driver side seat belt failed to latch in place without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, while making a left at approximately 15 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the steering pump, steering gear, the front struts, and the driver and passenger side front axles needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V375000 (seat belts). The failure mileage was 120,800.

- Westley Chapel, FL, USA

Jun 252015

Acadia

Having steering problems with my GMC Acadia. Vehicle has appox. 75K miles and I have had several incidents of where it was hard to steer my vehicle. I took to the GMC dealership service dept. And it's the same issues everyone else is having with this make & model vehile. Rack & pinion is leaking & I need a new power steerling pump. There is clearly a defect with this GMC make and model and the customers should have to bare the cost of these reparis. I also noticed this occurs after the warranty ends too. Cost of repairs & labor - around $2,200. Of course the repair guy also noticed 3 other things that needs to be repaired too. The cost of those recommended reparis cost $1,600.

- White Plains, MD, USA

Apr 012015

Acadia

An intermittent steering issue developed whereby steering input would become restricted and prevent the driver from adding or subtracting steering. The issue presents during turning and cornering and resulted in numerous hazardous situations and one serious near miss. Upon inspection by a mechanic, I was advised that the entire rack and pinion assembly would need to be replaced. It is not clear whether the rack and pinion were inherently defective, or the consequential damage of other steering defects which is very concerning. Upon further review, I have found that this model year along with several others have been plagued with defective steering issues. Given the apparent incidence rate and the high risk nature of the issue, I am surprised and disappointed this has not culminated in a recall.

- Westerville, OH, USA

May 132015

Acadia

Last June during a routine inspection the dealer told me I had a slight leak in the rack and pinion. I questioned him on why a vehicle with approx 48K miles could have a problem. I was told that GM allows some leakage. Shortly there after I noticed an occasional ratcheting feel in the steering wheel. I then would experience several occasions where I momentarily would lose power steering, the beginning of this year I received a letter from GM stating that there may be a problem with the power steering pump and to bring it to the dealer.I brought it to the dealer and was told there is a charge of $130 to determine if it is the pump and no charge if it was bad. I was told the pump was in fact bad and that the rack also needed to be replaced at a cost of $1400. I politely told them that the rack should not leak at 56K miles and the pump caused the problem and that GM should pay the entire bill after I was told that a certain amount of leakage was ok. They said GM would only cover the cost of pump. I also replaced 4 low beam head lights in the past year.

- North Babylon, NY, USA