2010 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Acadia:

2010 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Apr 212015

Acadia

Steering gear needs to be replaced. Vehicle is 5 years old with 55.000 miles. Vehicle will not turn unless you press on the gas or have motion. Concerned for our safety so getting repaired soon at our expense. $600 for the part plus $150 alignment and dealership wants $1800 total. With this many complaints and the number of vehicles that need it done (seems to be all Acadia's 4-5yrs of age), this should be a recall.

- Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA

Jan 052015

Acadia 6-cyl

I have a 2010 GMC Acadia. Several months ago I received the GM special coverage extended warrant letter # 14329. At that time, I had already noticed extreme difficulty in turning the wheel at low rates of speed and brushed it off as probably needing power steering fluid I also noticed a "whining" noise along with this action. I began to worry as the matter kept worsening and already still had trauma from a prior accident in 2010 which left me to purchase this vehicle in 2011 which I thought would be a more safe stable vehicle for me. Upon a few weeks later, while trying to make a left hand turn maneuver, the steering wheel completely "locked" up! luckily, no oncoming traffic was in sight, otherwise, I would have been unable to get out of the way as I was in the middle of the highway! I immediately contacted the dealer and explained my issue and named the letter I had received a few months prior. Thus, an appointment was scheduled. I took my vehicle in on that specific day. The dealer contacts me to inform me that the pump was covered in the warrant but not the rack which they said was leaking on both sides (which is the most expensive part). My out of pocket expense of $1200 after labor and the alignment!! all the parts of the power steering system should be paid for all expense by GM!! this is a tremendous safety issue and peoples lives are at danger! no one has $1200 to just drop on auto repair and I had to take out a loan!! what is GM waiting for hundreds of deaths?!! there's already a class action lawsuit filed GM 4-1-13. GM needs to reimburse me and all others!! GM's CEO's need to do a major recall and take care of their customers. This is no joke and an extreme hazard! I'm also filing a complaint with GM as well.

- Printer, KY, USA

Dec 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering problem.going to pull into a parking spot and the power steering seemed to go. Had a difficult time turning the steering wheel. Did the same thing at later dates pulling in and out of a parking spot. At other times, it happened while trying to turn onto a road.

- Dayton, PA, USA

Feb 142015

Acadia 6-cyl

We bought our 2010 GMC Acadia in December of 2012. At the time we noticed an intermittent low whining noise and by the time we went for our first oil change at a dealership it had begun to make more noise when turning to the left so I asked the service department to check into it. When I picked up the vehicle the same gentleman who checked my car in told me the noise was because my oil was so low. I knew this wasn't true. The noise grew slightly louder and constant, around November 2014 we took the vehicle to another repair shop for an oil change and asked that they check out the noise. Their diagnosis was that we would need to replace the sway bar links within the next couple months. February 14, 2015 while backing out of our driveway the noise was louder than ever before and my husband said it felt very unsafe when turning. We drove straight to the auto repair facility who informed us of the sway bar links, assuming that was the problem. As soon as the mechanic began taking the necessary components off the steering system they told us way needed a new steering rack. The man said that once they replaced the rack they would know whether or not the steering pump was okay, it turned out that it was. Now today 3/14/15, we just returned from dropping our vehicle off at the same shop because the whining noise has returned within the last 3 days and is becoming increasingly worse.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Feb 032015

Acadia

GMC Acadia recall on power steering pump. Dealer stated that the gear was not working right. Recall covered fixing the pump, replacing 2 bolts, fluid, gear covering but not the gear that everything is suppose to protect. I don't understand this unless the fact is that the most expensive thing is not covered but the cheap stuff is. Please look into this. I would like to know how many people have had this problem and had to pay to have the gear fixed.

- Whiteville, NC, USA

Dec 232014

Acadia

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. While driving 25 mph over a pothole, the steering wheel went left when the contact was attempting to turn right. The steering wheel made a knocking sound. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,800. The VIN number was unavailable.

- Merrick, NY, USA

Jun 042014

Acadia 6-cyl

The steering rack leaks and fails after the power steering pump goes out due to an internal failure. There is a bad design in the rack causing the car to lose power at low speeds and will cause bodily harm if not repaired. GM knows there is a bad design of this steering rack and refuses to repair at their cost. They will only replace the pump when the rack is the biggest cost to repair.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Dec 022013

Acadia 6-cyl

GM recalled the power steering pump, but didn't recall the rack. Two dealership quotes indicated that the pump and rack would need to be replaced to fix the problem of steering going out.

- Indiianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 062010

Acadia 4WD 6-cyl

I bought my GMC Acadia in December of 2009. A few days in I noticed a whirring sound in turning. I was told by the dealership that it was normal, a design flaw with brushes in the steering column. June 20110 entire electrical motherboard failed, six months later the water pump failed. Brought the car in 3 times for airbag lights. I sensor was replaced then I was told to just "keep something heavy in the seat". for eight months ABS and brake light chimed with nothing wrong. I reported that the air conditioner was not cooling only to be told it was all good, of course until the warranty was out then a repair of $600. Now that so called design flaw and whirring noise has turned into power steering failure an leak in power steering rack, !000 repair not covered by the recall of power steering pump. Unreal. What a bunch of crooks. The worst part is the GMC dealers pretend they know nothing about any issues and accept responsibility for nothing all. I am sure it is a protocol to delay and major diagnosis until a warranty is expired.

- Gretna, LA, USA

May 022014

Acadia 6-cyl

I have had 3 recalls on my 4 year old Acadia in the last several months and also had to replace my power steering at less than 65,000 miles. My car is back at the dealer for the third time in less than 10 days for the service air bag light after they have attempted to fix the recall. Although no specific safety incident, my concerns with the ability of the dealer/automaker to provide a safe vehicle and well as the overall lack of reliability of the car in less than 4 years is both disappointing and concerning. I am currently in touch with GMC about my options.

- Catonsville, MD, USA

Apr 072014

Acadia 6-cyl

While trying to attempt a right turn on a green light at approximately 10 mph my steering wheel did not turn. This was completely unexpected and I was caught off guard but managed to stop the vehicle inches away from traffic coming in the opposite direction. I brought it in for servicing and was told the R&P needed to be replaced. This was done but the issue persists. The dealer claims they can not find any issues with my steering even though we have been on test drives where the steering locks up. To this day the problem continues only at low speeds, but I will not let my family travel in this vehicle.

- South Abington Township, PA, USA

Apr 232014

Acadia

I filed my initial complaint over the phone but I'd like to add a few more details. After getting nowhere with GMC corporate I did my own research uncovering there is a "class action lawsuit" (I have this document and can forward if needed) in place for multiple GMC vehicles for the steering issue. GMC has publicly admitted to installing wrong size power steering pump! in addition, the power steering cable, a loose rivet in steering column, power steering fluid leaking, and/or no or low pressure all have been the sited as a "possible" cause! point being fixing all of these issues will cost owners thousands of dollars and most don't have this money. GMC needs to recall this issue asap! GMC has recalled numerous other non-lifethreatening issues with their vehicles. Loss of power steering when turning left on a main road or at any other time can and will result in serious injury or fatality!! this is serious and needs to be made a priority addressed asap!

- Ocean City, NJ, USA

May 012014

Acadia

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. While making a left turn at an unknown speed, the vehicle jerked violently and the steering wheel seized. The contact had to forcefully turn the steering wheel. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Ocean City, NJ, USA

Jun 032014

Acadia 6-cyl

Was turning left into a parking lot and there was no assist from the power steering. It was almost as if it was locking up. This issue has been occurring several times a week since then, usually at low speeds. There have been a couple of close calls to hitting other vehicles as this issue surfaces with no warning. I asked lafontaine in highland mi to look at it when I was having water pump issues. It seems there was no true investigation on the issue, just that it was out of warranty and I would have to pay to change the R&P, even though that may not be the issue. I issued a complaint to GM customer service when the vehicle was in the shop again for a transmission module replacement. Again, no concern from GM that the steering fails without warning. Loss of steering is a very big safety concern. I am trying to sell or trade in the vehicle as I do not feel safe having my wife and kiss in the car.

- Highland, MI, USA

Aug 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering failed.during low speed turns, then recovered and acted normally for awhile. Similar problem occurred a few days later and since then has been happening intermittently. This will be a very serious safety issue if it happens when entering or exiting a highway or turning into a two way street. I have read multiple similar reports (over 100 within a year or so} almost all stating that the dealers are not sure what is causing this problem except to attempt to replace various power steering components with varying degrees of success.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 032014

Acadia

Steering loses power everyday, mostly when vehicle is going slower. It is getting harder & harder to turn. Coming out of the turn it will all of a sudden pop & loosen up again. I can't believe with all these complaints no recall has been issued. Very dangerous.

- Mount Dora, FL, USA

Jul 012014

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering does not work well when making sharp turns in parking lot's or at slower speeds. The vehicle becomes nearly impossible to turn and the failure occurs unexpectedly causing near accidents. Has occurred at higher speeds as well which is even more dangerous. GM should recall this issues before any major accidents. Mechanic said this is "a common problem" with this particular vehicle. They should look into statistically how many times this issue has been diagnosed and repaired.

- Walker, MI, USA

Nov 152013

Acadia 6-cyl

Steering gear binds when making sharp turns as in parking.

- Chatham, NY, USA

Mar 032014

Acadia

The power steering goes out at low speed turns, which makes it a difficult and is a safety hazard. It is starting going out at medium speeds.

- Warrensburg, MO, USA

Aug 012013

Acadia

When pulling onto the road or out of a parking lot at low speed, the steering fails. I have manhandle the steering wheel to make the car turn. On several occasions I have had to stop to avoid hitting on coming cars.

- Caldwell, ID, USA