2010 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Acadia:

2010 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

May 122014

Acadia 6-cyl

I started experienced steering problems with my Acadia when traveling at low speeds when turning into my driveway or when parking. The steering wheel would start to bind and turning became very stiff. I checked the power steering fluid and it was low so I added fluid. However, the problem persisted. Now it has become even worse and occurs more frequently (I.e. when I am making a sharp turn at a traffic light, parking, and at low speeds on any sharp curve in the road). I have taken my vehicle to an authorized GMC dealer and had it evaluated and have been told there is "a gear going bad in the power steering pump" and it needs to be replaced. My vehicle is only 4 years old. I didn't expect a problem like this in my vehicle. I am trying to get the pump replaced as quickly as possible before I have a wreck because of the steering issues.

- Gloucester, VA, USA

Oct 162013

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering pump is making lots of noise when I turn the wheel.

- New London, CT, USA

May 262014

Acadia

While turning at an intersection at a relatively slow speed, the power steering failed momentarily (approximately 3 seconds) making it impossible to smoothly correct the turn. Fortunately, power steering resumed and I was able to control the car without an accident. This happened again on the same day while turning into a driveway. I promptly returned the car to our GMC service department where a power steering fluid leak was discovered in the power steering gearbox. This is a very serious safety issue. Given your history of the same problem, it is not understood why this is not a safety recall issue.

- Long Beach Township, NJ, USA

Jan 132014

Acadia

While traveling at a low speed went to pull into a parking spot and the power steering cuts out and then cuts back in. Added power steering fluid got better for about a week and then got worse. Has been happening more frequently mostly at low speed and in turns.

- Powhatan, VA, USA

May 172014

Acadia

The contact owns a 2010 GMC arcadia. The contact stated that while traveling 20 mph, the power steering failed and there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission and system fluid needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 54,000.

- Somers, CT, USA

May 182014

Acadia 6-cyl

The power steering fails at low speed turns, approximately 2-30 mph.. with the failure, it is not possible to safely operate the vehicle. Upon recovery of the power steering, I nearly lose control from overcompensation for trying to turn the wheel with all my strength. Extremely dangerous and unpredictable. There are too many complaints with GMC and the ntsha to continue without a recall.

- New Windsor, MD, USA

Jul 152013

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering failure. At speeds between 0-40 mph the power steering goes out causing a very dangerous situation. Typically at low speeds like turning into a parking spot, but it has occurred as high as 40 mph while going around a sharp turn on-ramp to access the freeway. Even worse yet is when the power steering quits and you are man-handling the steering wheel and the power steering kicks back in causing you to swerve resulting in a very dangerous situation. No recall on this is crazy with the number of complaints filed by doing a simple internet search. What is GM thinking" yet, they will do a recall on windshield wipers that may break when a vehicle is jump started with ice buildup on the windshield. I know around here the Acadia platform is the most popular selling vehicle that Chevy/GMC sells. How about recalling something that could potentially kill passengers and other drivers" sure they will fix it if you are fortunate enough to have the failure while still under warranty. If not, the costs are very excessive!

- Youngsville, NC, USA

May 132014

Acadia 6-cyl

Driving into a small downtown area to meet some friends and heard a whirling noise coming from under the hood (belt, bearing or power steering). As I slowed down the noise intensified, dissipated as I sped up. Notice the steering was tighter and more difficult to turn the steering wheel at slower speeds. The next day I attempted to "check the fluid" secured under the engine cover but was unable to remove it even with the star bit required. I then google'd auto-steering for Acadia and found numerous issues related to failing power steering units. Took it to the dealer frustrated after finding that this is not an isolated part failure. He stated that the bellow was leaking due to a failure (the power steering is under a lot of pressure I was told) and it needed to be replaced. The dealership completed the repair after keeping the car a day. Seems to me this is a potential ticking time bomb and the part may have been under engineered. I have been a long time GM customer but with all the current press I'm not sure I can support them any longer with my patronage.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Apr 102014

Acadia

While making low speed turns while in motion the power steering intermittently will cut out. When it first start to occur it would cut out briefly before re-engaging. The issue was brought to the attention of the GMC dealer when I brought my car in to have the steering rack replaced; I was told it was probably due to low fluids but they would check it out. After I picked my car up, the problem did not arise for me again for 1.5 weeks. However, it is worse, the power steering cuts out unexpectedly after having already started to turn the wheel at low speed in-motion turns and does not re-engage until after the wheel has returned to the neutral position.

- Fairless Hills, PA, USA

Oct 142013

Acadia

While driving I lose power steering, whether it's 10 miles per hour or 50 miles per hour. Difficult to turn while driving. It seems to have gotten worse over the last few months and the power steering makes a noise while moving the steering wheel.

- Dracut, MA, USA

Sep 102013

Acadia 6-cyl

When taking any type of corners, whether it be going around a round-about, turning into my driveway, or turning to park in a park space the power steering goes out and the steering wheel locks up. This has been an unground problem for 8 months or more. I took the vehicle to a certified GM dealer and they were unable to find a trouble code, and unable to duplicate the concern. Recently the steering issue is becoming worse and I am concerned with driving and the safety of the loss of power steering.

- Campbellsport, WI, USA

Apr 182014

Acadia 6-cyl

Grinding noise came from steering column. Dealer replaced steering gear under warranty. Noise came back at 47,535 miles and dealer replaced steering housing in a kit. Power steering pump needed to be replaced at this time.

- Rockport, IN, USA

Jun 102013

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering goes out at low speeds while parking. Recently, the steering has been going out while sharp turning at speeds of 25 to 30 mph.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 042014

Acadia 6-cyl

As car was accelerating to 30 mph in a lane of traffic into a turn, I heard a loud noise. Then, I couldn't move the steering wheel. I tried to pump the brakes, but the car did not stop immediately. I had no control over the steering, and the car eventually stopped in a parking lot. I was petrified. The radio was still on, and the key was still in the on position, but the key could not be turned. GMC simi valley says the problem was a rod to a cylinder that snapped, and was not due to an ignition problem, or related to a current recall. The whole engine needs to be replaced, almost the value of the car, given its current resale value. I would like to request an investigation into another recall event.

- Santa Rosa Valley, CA, USA

Apr 092014

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering pump is making lots of noise when I turn the wheel. Currently am afraid to drive it anywhere due to potential loss of power steering.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Feb 032014

Acadia 6-cyl

Steering has intermittent loss of power making vehicle control difficult.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Nov 292013

Acadia 6-cyl

The Acadia loses power steering at slow speeds. Turning into parking spots, backing up and similar slow moving maneuvers make it very difficult to turn the car. I have not located my model listed on the recall list and I want you to be aware that it is also having a power steering problem. I am waiting for a loaner car to take my car into the dealer for repair.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Mar 192014

Acadia

This has happened several times since I've bought this truck last year. Right after I bought it, I had to pay out of pocket to have the power steering box replaced ($1200) since then, while driving my steering gets hard to turn either way and the engine even stopped running a few weeks ago while on the interstate, I had to pull off the road. The truck also makes a popping sound while turning too. Since I have bought the truck, I have had nothing but problems, within 2 weeks of buying it, I had transmission leak and oil leak that had to be fixed. I want so bad to get out of this truck. I am the sole provider in my home, single mother of 3 kids and this vehicle is used for our daily commutes and my job. When slowing down to come to a stop the truck also lunges forward a few times before stopping completely. Also when going down the road the RPM will lunge up for no reason and you can hear it like it is trying to shift to a higher gear or like I have pressed the gas, which I had not.

- Pembroke, GA, USA

Apr 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

When I was making a right hand turn at a green light the car acted like I lost my power steering. I really had to fight the wheel so I didn't hit another car. This happens randomly about twice a month. Sometimes it happens when I make a left turn. Sometimes it happens when pulling into a parking spot. I have had so many close calls of hitting other cars that I try not to drive it unless absolutely necessary.

- Fennville, MI, USA

Feb 142014

Acadia

Potential safety issue - while approaching a traffic light with the intention of turning left, I slowed down to a suitable speed to negotiate the turn. Suddenly the steering was very heavy and required extreme force to get the vehicle to navigate the turn. After this incident I noticed that the steering was extremely heavy at low RPM. If it had been a less experienced driver behind the wheel, or if the driver were to panic I believe the outcome of this failure could be more serious. A panicked driver might hit the gas and crash into the traffic stopped at the light coming from the other direction, or stop in the middle of traffic flow in a no-filter left turn junction. The solution was to replace the power steering pump, and judging by the number of others that have experienced this issue it is a true defect with this car. I believe the solution for this issue is to replace the power steering pump with a know reliable model. Another solution would be to implement a monitoring system to detect a failing pump.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA