2010 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Acadia:

2010 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

May 202013

Acadia 6-cyl

At low speeds the power steering system fails and you can't turn the vehicle. This happens pulling out into the street or into a parking spot. It has progressively gotten worse over the course of a year and the dealerships can't figure it out. They just want to change parts costing up to 2K and won't ensure me that it will be fixed. They are seeing it on many Acadia's and enclave's and this vehicle needs to be recalled due to this before someone is injured or killed. I am worried about my wife and family being in a vehicle that won't turn. Just reviewing the complaints on this website, I can't believe that the government has not done something yet. Take a look at the GMC Acadia blog or owners site and you will see lots more complaints exactly like this one. Please do something.

- Marshall, MI, USA

Apr 302012

My 2010 Acadia has periodic loss of power steering, mostly at low speeds, when backing up, parking, turning, etc. This happens sporadically, and at times can be very dangerous. I have been advised that my car is not under warranty, and there are no recalls.

- Brewton, AL, USA

Mar 022014

Acadia 6-cyl

Steering was hard to turn. The GMC service dept. Found the power steering cooling coil rusted through causing power steering fluid to drain. This vehicle is not old and should not have rusted.

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Aug 092013

At random times, my car's steering becomes extremely stiff, sometimes to the point that I cannot make the turn. Usually happens when turning into a parking space or making a tight turn at an intersection. I've noticed that it usually occurs when applying my brakes while turning. I've learned to make these turns without using the brakes. I had the fluid changed, but didn't help the problem. The service technician stated that this is a very expensive "fix", as he thinks it is the pump. Shame on GM for not recalling this product. Are they waiting for someone to get injured? how sad is that! I'm surprised to read of so many complaints that are very similar to mine. Because of this... GM's turning a blind eye... I will most likely never again purchase a GM.

- Dexter, NM, USA

Sep 192013

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while attempting to park at 3-5 mph, the power steering assist became inoperable. The contact took the vehicle to a local dealer where a diagnostic test was performed. The dealer informed the contact that the power steering pump was defective and caused the power steering to malfunction. No repairs were performed on the vehicle. The manufacturer and was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000. The VIN was not available.

- Windchester , VA, USA

Aug 012013

It seems that everytime I am at a low speed <15mph (such as pulling into a parking space, turning at a four way stop, etc) the steering wheel feels like it wants to lock up and it takes all my strength to turn it to go the correct direction. It is dangerous. Pulling in a straight line isn't bad, but backing out of a public parking space or something similar could be bad. I just noticed it every now and then sometime in August, however, within the last few weeks it has gotten significantly worse. Fluids appear fine. It only has 63,000 miles on it. This is ridiculous. I have a 2010 GMC Acadia fully loaded, all the awesome gadgets, paid out the wazoo for a car like this, I should not be having these problems. Waiting on the dealer to tell me whats going on now, however, they are saying it could cost me over $1000 to fix. I have the 100,000 power train warranty on it but the other ran out at 60,000 miles. This is no way to take care of your consumer. I will not pay for that, especially after reading that this seems to be a common problem in year models 2009-2012. Seems like a recall is in order! not the best way to keep your consumers. Before this problem, I swore I would never have anything but an Acadia, depending on this outcome, that decision could be drastically changed. And so I have read from several other consumers.

- Alexander, AR, USA

Aug 022013

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while coming to a stop, the vehicle became extremely difficult to steer. There was a clunking sound coming from the steering wheel whenever the contact was making a turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the failure was due to low power steering fluid. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 61,000 and the current mileage was 62,834.

- Dyer, TN, USA

Jun 202013

The steering will quit working randomly when making turns almost causing accidents, GM does not feel this is a safety issue so they wont pay to have it fixed but yet they recalled it to fix a little plastic piece on a rear seat belt. At this point we can not afford to have it fixed so we must drive around in fear of losing steering control.someone should be held responsible since researching the problem there are alot of other people with the same problem.

- Fennville, MI, USA

Sep 022013

Power steering fails at low speeds and tight turns. Vehicle safety is very questionable. The dealer says that it is the pump or rack. I have seen numerous complaints about the steering issues with the Acadia.

- Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

May 012013

As everyone else is complaining, power steering feels like it's out. Especially noticed in parking lots when turning into a spot at a low speed and pulling out into traffic at intersections. I bought this $40K+ vehicle to haul my wife and 4 kids around and it's literally falling apart. Serious issues with the steering, the gas gauge only works half of the time, the hot/cold buttons are wore down as you can't even tell what the '+' & '-' are anymore (and we had these replace once already under warranty) and the windshield fluid washer pump is out (and no, it's not just a fuse-already checked). All my kids are involved in sports and we put a lot of miles on per year. Very worried about the steering with my family, trying not to drive it much as we're trying to get rid of it asap before the entire country knows that they're junk! it's out of warranty, and I can't even imagine how much it costs to repair it, so just trying to get rid of this headache of a vehicle! we are actually driving around an old 1999 Subaru outback with almost 200K miles, and it's much more dependable than our $40K+ Acadia. Very disappointed! first question is, with all the complaints, why hasn't it been recalled yet" I'm guessing there has to be so many fatalities before a recall is appointed?? second question, do the makers of the GMC Acadia sleep well at night knowing their product is very dangerous and it's just a matter of time before people start getting killed"

- Saratoga, WY, USA

Acadia 6-cyl

When attempting to make a left turn at an intersection, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn and I had to use both hands to turn the wheel. During the month, there were several more instances with slow turns to the right and left. There is also a bumping noise (thump, thump) coming from somewhere underneath the steering wheel. It is not all the time but increasing as time goes on. The steering wheel is more becoming more difficult to turn and the incidents are increasing. I went to a chevorlet/GMC dealership this morning and was told it was either my power steering pump or the rack and pinion that would need to be replaced. They would have to have my vehicle for 2 days, one to test it to determine the exact nature of the problem and one day to fix it. The cost would be anywhere from $300-$600, depending on the cause. I have read several forums on the internet of Acadia owners with the same issue but power steering problems going down interstates when attempting to exit onto an off ramp at a high rate of speed.

- Blue Mountain, MS, USA

Sep 192012

Acadia 6-cyl

When trying to turn corners it's almost as if the power steering has gone out. Pulling into a crowded parking lot is scary because I never know if my car is going to turn enough to fit into the parking place. I have come close to hitting other cars when making turns onto smaller streets. This started in 2012 and I took my car to classic Buick GMC, in arlington Texas they stated they could not recreate the problem so nothing was done. Now a year later it is bad enough that they have been able to recreate the problem and wanted to charge me $1714.13 to fix it. I called GMC customer service and they were able to get the dealer down to $850 to fix it. After reading all of these complaints about the same issue I am very curious as to why no recall has been issued. I have another call into GMC.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Jun 032013

Acadia 6-cyl

I purchased vehicle used on June 1 2013 around 3 weeks later the vehicle started being hard to turn at turns and slow speeds the steering locks up.I took it back to dealership they ended up charging me $75 for power steering fluid now its getting a little out of control at first it was everynow N then now its about 5-7 times a day. I called GM taking it in on service on this matter and waiting to see what happens I barely drive the vehicle now cause of the problem to me its a safety issue and I found out im not the only one with this issue when will GMC realize this needs to be recalled I dont find it fair to have to pay out of pocket with such a known issue god forbid if me or my grandkids get hurt its scary to drive my truck now.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Acadia 6-cyl

While leaving a parking lot - tried to avoid a pole - was not able to turn steering wheel - it was as though I had no power steering -

- Withee, WI, USA

Aug 092013

Vehicle has been experiencing intermittent issues with steering at low speeds. While trying to park, pull into traffic or make low speed turns, the steering will seize. No current recalls so issue reported to GMC on 8/13/13 for consideration.

- Coweta, OK, USA

Aug 122013

After starting the car, shifting to drive with brakes applied and slow acceleration while taking a right turn out of my parking space I lost all steering control and brakes became very hard to press as well. I managed to stop the car and put it back to park and turned off the ignition, then back on again. I didn't have the issue again. Luckily I didn't hit another car in the parking lot.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Jun 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

While trying to park thegmc Acadia 2010, the steering felt like it went out on me. My husband had told me previously that he had the same issue while trying to pull out into traffic. My incident only hurt my shoulder his incident almost caused a car crash. We have also had issues with the window on the driver's side not opening until you open another window. And now the latest issue, my husband had gotten off work and started the car and all the locks went up and down really fast and the dash lights flickered off and on, then, when he was on his way home he smelled plastic burning. If this was anybody else's car I would have said it was possessed but since we're paying for it there's a problem. Does somebody have to die before they will address this problem? I filled this form out on my husband's phone.

- Caldwell, ID, USA

May 222013

Acadia 6-cyl

The vehicle was becoming difficult to turn and could hear clicking noise when turning. The steering was becoming increasingly stiff. When I took it to the dealership they stated they the rubbing noise was from the steering gear, also power steering pressure very low causing the stiffness. Diagnosis result need to replace the steering gear and the power steering pump and do a power steering flush and a 4 wheel alignment with an estimated repair cost of $2074.05. There appears to be multiple complaints regarding the same issues, is there any recall available to help with this repair?

- Veedersburg, IN, USA

May 292013

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel seized and could not be turned. The contact applied excessive force to the steering wheel in order to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnosis or repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 80,000. The VIN was not available.

- Saratoga, WY, USA

Apr 222013

Acadia 6-cyl

Intermittent loss of power steering while attempting a turn while braking. This happened 1 to 4 times per days for several weeks before bring the car in for diagnosis and repair. This required a replacement of the power steering pump, gear, and fluid. Prior to experiencing these problems there was constant audible noise whenever the steering wheel was turned. When the power steering failed it was difficult to successfully complete the turn, though I never had any collisions.

- Plymouth, MN, USA