2010 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Acadia:

2010 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Nov 032016

Acadia

I have been having an issue with my power steering going in and out for months. My mechanic says there is a recall, but when I run the VIN I get nothing for the power steering. I took it in for an oil change today and he almost refused to service my truck due to the issue and safety concerns of his employees. My truck has around 110000 miles.

- Hudson, FL, USA

Oct 012016

Acadia

Driving South on 27 and took the on ramp to 192, and the steering wouldn't turn. I almost ran off the side of the on ramp. So I jerked the wheel and it finally turned. When we arrived at our destination. While pulling in the steering went out again and almost hit the median. Trying to pull into the parking spot when out again.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Jul 272016

Acadia

At about 92,000 miles, my vehicle's power steering began randomly going out. It doesn't matter if I'm on a residential street or on a city street. It has only happened at lower speeds and when I'm backing up, but it has been a bit of an issue. After searching google, I noticed there has been a slight problem with the power steering in these vehicles. I thought I should issue a complaint.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

May 262016

Acadia

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. While the vehicle was operated at lower speeds, the power steering failed. The contact stated that the vehicle operated normally at higher speeds. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was not diagnoised or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was approximately 140,000.

- Locust Grove, GA, USA

Jul 262016

Acadia

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. While driving 10 mph, the power steering seized while making a left turn. The contact was able to regain control of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jun 212016

Acadia

GMC Acadia power steering unit went out, lost ability to turn at low speeds and the steering locked up while backing up. I took the SUV to the GMC dealer and I was told that GMC has had problems with their power steering units in the 2009 - 2013 year models and there was an an extended warranty on that class of SUV. Their is a class action lawsuit over the issue and GMC has extended their warranty, but it is so restrictive that GMC will do nothing about the problem. GMC needs to issue a recall for the power steering unit before someone is killed.

- Northglenn, CO, USA

May 262016

Acadia

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. While driving 25 mph, the steering wheel seized. The contact was able to maneuver the steering wheel in order to continue driving. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufcturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 84,420.

- Sutherland, NE, USA

May 212016

Acadia

Sometimes when trying to turn the steering gets real tight and it feels as if though the power steering has gone out. In the beginning this happen periodically but lately it's become more frequent

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Mar 182016

Acadia

Took it in to clear code from lift gate recall. Walked out with slip that says it needs a new power steering gear assembly at $1900. Very quick google search says this is common problem with this vehicle, Buick enclave and Chevy traverse of this year. People report this causes difficulty steering and loss of steering while in motion. Upon reflection, there have been times steering has gone bizarre but I chaulked it up to road conditions (snow/sleet). This vehicle only has 55,000 miles on it and only driven 6 months of the year. Several people complain of this steering gear assembly repair (sometimes more than once) and the loss of steering ability at times. Please investigate.

- Skandia, MI, USA

Feb 122016

Acadia

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. While driving approximately 55 mph, the power steering locked up in the middle of the road without warning. The contact managed to drive home. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer who stated that the failure was a known issue. The dealer diagnosed that the vehicle was leaking power steering fluid and engine coolant. The dealer further diagnosed and replaced the power steering lines, power steering gear, water pump, pipe, and hose. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures and offered a discount toward a new vehicle. The contact rejected the offer. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 72,695.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Jan 082016

Acadia

Upon taking the car for safety inspection were told that the steering gear needed replacing and that the right front strut was leaking. The car had 57000 miles at the time. Upon researching more the steering issue is known and common. This should covered under a recall.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Sep 242015

Acadia

Vehicle is hard to steer when attempting to reverse and park or turn right or left. Steering so hard that almost cant turn at all. Checked power steering fluid and it is full. Also having problems with the vehicle radio changing stations on its own as well. This has been happening over and over again. Does not matter how fast you are driving

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 042015

Acadia

50,000 miles and the steering pump or rack is leaking and whining. Power steering very sluggish at low idle speeds.

- Fayetteville, NY, USA

Aug 182015

Acadia

As I was driving along, the power steering failed suddenly. I got to a safe place, checked the power steering fluid. It was full. Since that event, the power steering fails regularly and makes the vehicle almost impossible to maneuver.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 012015

Acadia

While turning at a low speed steering locked up making hard to turn. This now happens frequently while driving and making turns. Some times I am unable to turn at all and have to try again. I have read numerous accounts of this happening to this car, if I would have known I would have never purchased.

- Grand Island, NY, USA

Aug 122015

Acadia

When making turns with the car the steering completely gave away and was very hard to maneuver a turn correctly. Was taken to the garage who informed us that the rack and pinion was bad and the power steering column. Finding out that this is a issue with almost all GMC Acadia's was very upsetting to learn. If this is a issue with that many of them why has there not yet been a recall on this. Since there is no recall I am stuck paying well over $1000 to fix so that I can hopefully not have the same issue again. GMC needs to do a buy back recall on these models as they are not safe. Thankful that I was alone at the time that this happened however could have very easily caused a major accident had I not noticed when I was sopped to make a turn. How many people need to be killed or hurt before they will fix.

- Knox, PA, USA

Jul 012012

Acadia

Power steering has been repaired twice, 1st time under warranty second out of pocket cost this past January (80K miles on vehicle) brought in vehicle recently and needed to have power steering fluid changed since it was "burnt". clearly this has to be a manufacturer defect

- Potomac Falls, VA, USA

Jun 302015

Acadia

Nothing specifically happened, but I'm wanting to make a complaint regarding issues with my car. At 30K miles, I had a power steering leak in which the pump was replaced under warranty. In for servicing today, now told I have another leak, but this time the gear assembly needs to be replaced. Cost is 1800. I have done some research online and discovered that this is an ongoing issue in which there have been numerous complaints and it seems that nothing is being done. So far I have been one of the fortinate ones and have not been injured or injured someone else. I have had ongoing issues since purchasing my car new. This is the one repeat issue thus far and definitely most expensive so far. I do not understand how GMC can put out a defective part/car without taking any responsibility. Some of us can not afford to keep buying cars. I buy a new car, follow all recommended servicing and it's still not enough. As a consumer what rights do I have? from my vantage point, none. I do not know where to go or what rights I have, but saw suggestions on the acadiaforum to file complaint here or at least have my voice heard.

- Renton, WA, USA

Nov 192014

Acadia

This is my wife's vehicle which I rarely drive. While attempting to make a turn at a slow speed in city driving, I noticed that the power steering went away and I was barely able to force the steering wheel enough to complete the turn. Once straight and the vehicle moving at normal speeds the power steering was working fine. In subsequent slow moving turns both to the right and left steering difficulties were encountered intermittently. My wife stated that she had encountered this type of steering difficulties for several months and had ask the technicians at the local Goodyear dealer to check the power steering fluid level at one of her oil changes. The technicians informed her that the level was full. I recently drove the vehicle on a trip myself and noticed a rattle near the front left tire area and some popping noises when accelerating from a complete stop. I will be taking this vehicle to the shop for a diagnosis of what the problem is.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Apr 182015

Acadia

My son was driving on the interstate when the steering wheel locked. He was not able to turn the steering wheel to negotiate the curve of the road, so he crashed into a concrete construction barrier. The police report stated the cause of the accident as "defective steering." The vehicle was towed to the dealership, and a report was filed with GMC corporate. Their inspection of the vehicle found no defect with the steering. What this means for me is that my insurance and I must pay for all of the repairs (if the insurance company doesn't total the vehicle). It also means that, since they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle, the incident of the steering locking up could reoccur, causing serious injuries or fatalities. In doing research, it appears from the number of complaints and the class action suit filed against GMC that the 2010 Acadia has defective steering. Mileage of vehicle is approximate.

- Little Rock, AR, USA