2013 GMC Acadia miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 GMC Acadia:

2013 GMC Acadia Owner Comments

Apr 042016

Vehicle has approx 60K miles, blind spot sensor stopped working suddenly. This is a hazard as the driver comes to depend on this indicator and it goes out suddenly with the location of the sensor under the wheel well/bumper. Resulting cost to repair was over $600 (for passenger side) at the dealership. And I was told it was likely that the driver side would go out next year. The design & where this sensor is placed is particularly problematic for low temp states as the sensor is plastic, gets water in it and freezes and bursts open the plastic container. This is particularly concerning when it goes out while driving - the driver comes to depend on the sensor lighting up the mirror when someone is in your blind spot and this SUV has a particularly large area where cars can not be seen. This is a hazard and should be recalled due to the design of this. As consumers, we should not bear the cost of this repair due to a horrible design. I have the actual module that was replaced or can provide pictures upon request. I can also supply a copy of the repair bill if someone wants to reimburse me the cost of this repair.

- Mount Horeb, WI, USA

Mar 312016

I was driving 50 mph on a very busy city highway when I heard what sounded like a truck putting on air brakes but no trucks around me, I felt shuddering under my foot. Suddenly "service charging system" or something like that flashed on my dash and I lost power steering, acceleration, everything. I was able to pull hard on the wheel to get into the right lane from the center lane, there was no shoulder to pull off on. Brake was hard to depress, it felt like it was all the way to the floor. I had power from the battery, it was sitting at 12 volts. I turned the vehicle off and restarted, I couldn't hear if the engine was running as the cars going past were so loud, but the radio was on and dash lit up like it had started but it would not move. Called my insurance and they sent a tow truck. While turned off on the tow truck, the outer rim of the head lights and the main headlights suddenly illuminated and about 5 minutes later they went off. Dealer was able to start it, but not move it. I dropped it on Thursday, by Friday they still didn't have an answer and I have to wait till Monday. I had one of my children with me when this all happened. It was very scary. There are just over 36,000 miles on my Acadia. My husband also noted that the day before when he tried to start it, it didn't start right away, it paused, he left off the key and about a second later it finally started.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

I am not receiving cooperation from southtown motors GMC dealership at 695 highway 34 E, newnan, ga 30265 in reference to getting my recall fixed. My recall notices 10085 and 14187 require immediate attention and should not be driven without being fixed. I am currently in a lease with ally that requires 18 more months lease payments. I would like to eliminate my lease and return this vehicle as I do not feel safe having my wife, my infant, my 3 year old, and my 10 year old riding in this particular vehicle. I contacted ally and they stated I would need to pay almost $7000 to break the lease of my unsafe GMC Acadia. This is ridiculous. I cannot get it fixed nor get a different vehicle without penalty. There have been 13 known fatalities in regards to these recalls and GMC is remaining quiet. What else are they remaining silent about. I want out of this lease immediately and require some compliance from someone. This vehicle is not safe and I need your help.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Nov 192013

After I returned home from a short 5 mile drive in the evening on 11/19/13, I shut off my 6 month old car in the driveway and smoke began pouring out of the hood and sparks and fire were coming out below the engine. I called 911 and by the time they arrived about 5 minutes later it was a full blown, roaring fire and the entire front end was consumed. My driveway suffered burn damage as well. Thankfully nobody was hurt. GMC has been awful to deal with. They have not replaced my vehicle, not repaired my driveway and have stopped returning my calls. The fire inspector said it was their fault and thinks it stemmed from the heating element that heats the windshield fluid. They are still doing more testing to get the final results though. I feel helpless and totally ignored by GMC. I have tried everything to get through to them and simply to get my car replaced and my driveway repaired because of the faulty product they sold me. Their customer service is terrible and I will now never purchase another car from them and will spend as much time as I have sharing this incident with others considering purchasing one of their vehicles. I have a video of the whole thing I am happy to share.

- Wilton, CT, USA