2014 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Acadia:

2014 GMC Acadia Owner Comments

Oct 302016

Acadia

I was driving on the freeway with my 4 children in the car. As I was exiting the freeway I suddenly lost all ability to steer my car. I was almost hit by a big rig because I did not know what was happening and no indicator light was displayed on my dashboard. The car was almost impossible to steer at slower speeds. I was put in an extremely dangerous situation. My car only has 45,000 miles on it. The dealership says my warranty is only good for 36,000 miles. Research has shown this is a very common defect with GMC Acadia vehicles and they have not issued a recall and the problem seems to occur just after their standard warranty ends. The steering pump is defective and the cost to fix is over $2,000.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Aug 172016

Acadia

While driving around a corner on either side, the steering wheel has a jerk and roughness to it. Fluid checked out within the operating range. Shortly thereafter a leak started on the right side next to the power steering pump/rack and pinion. Mileage is around 43000. Huge safety concern after reading about the steering issues that others have had.

- Alderson, WV, USA

Jul 102016

Acadia

I was driving on I-10 for around an hour when my steering wheel made a slight turn to the right and completely locked up. The road was wet so I didn't want to slam on my brakes. I was trying as hard as I could to try and turn the steering wheel but couldn't. I tapped the brakes 2 times and then had to slam the brakes as hard as I could or I would have hit other vehicles. My car started spinning and then crashed head into the guardrail. I hit the guard rail so hard it ripped up the concrete and bounced my vehicle back into the interstate. Another vehicle pulled over and was trying to help me get my car off the interstate but neither of us could get the steering wheel to turn. It was still locked up turned to the right. My husband was a few vehicles back and he pulled over and was also trying to turn the steering wheel to get my vehicle off the interstate. After yanking on the steering wheel and tires as hard as he could, it finally made a big pop and then the steering wheel and tires were free so we could turn the wheel to get my car on side the road.

- Violet, LA, USA

Feb 052016

Acadia

The contact owns a 2014 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. In addition, the steering wheel and the brakes failed. The contact also stated that the heater motor fan increased in temperature and the radio volume increased. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician informed the contact that they could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000.

- Staunton, IL, USA

Jan 262016

Acadia 6-cyl

Twice in the past week I have had the same problem with the stability track sensor turning off while driving. When this happened the engine power decreased. When trying to get the vehicle off the road, it was like I had lost power steering because it was a fight to turn the wheel. Prior to this we have also noticed that when the vehicle shifts gears, quite often it is a very hard shift to the point it shakes the whole car and feels like it is stalling. Not sure if that is a transmission issue or something to do with the fuel injection.

- Gray, GA, USA

Oct 012015

Acadia

At about 53,000 miles the power steering starting making a loud whining noise and a grinding noise when wheel was fully turned either direction. The power steering stopped working when the vehicle is at a stop of slow speeds and makes a buzzing, whining sound all the time. The steering feels very unstable when at freeway speeds winding around any corners. I feel this could be a serious safety concern due to the loss of power steering and the unstable steering at high speeds feeling like you are going to lose control of the vehicle on a curve.

- Mountain Green, UT, USA

Jul 312014

Acadia 6-cyl

During evening rush hour, the car stalled out completely while going approximately 75 mph on a mild incline on the highway. Gas gauge said approximately a quarter tank of gas. All power steering was lost, but I was able to drive the car to the shoulder of the freeway. A service truck put approximately 5 gallons of gas into the tank, but the car would not start and I had to be towed to dealership. Head of GM dealer service said nothing wrong with car and they could not replicate problem, and that the thing with this car is that you can't drive it on an incline with less of a quarter tank of gas or it might stall. Sales rep at dealer shared similar story of 2014 Acadia stalling on him but as he told us, he was fortunate he was only going 25 mph.

- Madison, NJ, USA

Aug 172014

Acadia

I parked the vehicle and left it running with my mother in the car with her seat belt on. As she was sitting there the vehicle rolled forward on its own and hit a Ford F150 parked across from my vehicle causing damage to my vehicle as well as the truck. I filed a claim with GMC and they had someone come to my home and run test on my vehicle and was told they could find nothing. After they finished the test NY locking mechanism is not working properly.

- Norco, LA, USA

Aug 172014

Acadia 6-cyl

On 08/17/14 at approximately 15:30, I was backing up in my driveway from a major roadway and my vehicle suddenly lost all power, steering and brakes. I looked at the driver information center and it said something like "power loss" and "battery". I was in too big of a hurry to put it in park and restart the vehicle and get out of the road to concentrate on what it was saying. I signed a lease for this vehicle on July 3, 2014 and actually was told after I signed all the papers that my vehicle was one that was involved in the ignition recall and to please drop it off at this dealer on Monday, July 7, 2014 so they could replace the ignition. On Monday, July 7, 2014, the dealer picked my vehicle up from my workplace, I'm just down the road. I picked my vehicle up on my way home. From that time forward, I noticed occasionally I was unable to turn the key in the ignition. Like sometimes when your steering wheel is just wrong. After a few attempts, I was able to start the vehicle. This happened maybe 5-6 times. On 08/18/14, I tried to contact my salesman and he is on vacation until next Monday. I have not called the dealer back yet to report this, I am at work. My motivation for reporting this is that the ignition was replaced because of the recall. Now, I don't know that is the reason for the power failure on Saturday, but I am suspicious of that replacement ignition. It's a brand new vehicle!

- Mount Morris, MI, USA