CarComplaints.com Notes: While the 2004 GMC Canyon doesn't show any major complaint trends, it's mechanically-identical counterpart is the Chevy Colorado which has some engine problems.

2004 GMC Canyon seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Canyon:

2004 GMC Canyon Owner Comments

Oct 162015

Canyon

The contact owned a 2004 GMC Canyon. While driving 45 mph, the contact's vehicle was rear ended. As a result, the contact's vehicle crashed into the preceding vehicle. The air bags did not deploy and the seat belt pre-tensioner failed to secure the contact, which caused her face to strike the steering wheel. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and carried out an investigation. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Essex, MD, USA

Sep 162013

Canyon 4WD 5-cyl

Had an accident where I rear ended a car at about 25 mph and my airbag didnot deploy however the airbag light came on.

- Johnstown, CO, USA

Dec 282007

Canyon 5-cyl

I am the original owner of a 2004 GMC Canyon pu, purchased on 06-10--04. On 05-10-06, I took the vehicle to my local GMC dealer in southern ca. Because the airbag light on the instrument panel stayed on. The vehicle mileage at this time was 42,220. The problem was taken care of at no charge. On 12-28-07, I took the above listed vehicle (mileage 74,456) into my local GMC dealer in southern AZ. Because the airbag light on the instrument panel again stayed on. An electrical diagnosis of the system revealed a faulty pre tensioner. The service consultant told me it would cost over $300 to install a new pre-tensioner. He said he also called GMC hq to find out if the charge could be waived and was told no. They told me that if I was involved in a crash, the airbag might not deploy. I did not get it repair at that time. I wrote to GMC hq about the problem saying it was a safety defect and after consulting with the AZ dealer, they said no to my waiver. I would like your Agency to look into this mater to see if other GMC models have had the same problem. Please contact me. Thankyou

- Hereford, AZ, USA