Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The GMC Canyon is mechanically identical to the Chevy Colorado.

2008 GMC Canyon brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Canyon:

2008 GMC Canyon Owner Comments

Jan 012013

Canyon 5-cyl

This happened numerous times. Mainly when first starting the vehicle. The ABS sensor warning sound would come on and when starting to move the vehicle and engaging the brake pedal for the first time the ABS brakes would actually engage(vibrating pedal) and it would feel as though the truck wasn't going to stop. After it did stop and continue to move forward the normal brakes would engage. Then the warning sound/beep would stop but the ABS warning light would always stay on. After numerous times happening I brought it back to the dealer I bought it from and they told me I had a defective ABS sensor in the right front wheel. I asked them if it was still under my 6 year warranty and they told me no. It would cost me about$1000 to fix. I told them not to fix it. After, I made numerous complaints to different levels of GMC customer service and got nowhere with them. I complained because I felt this was not something caused by me and was obviously a factory defect. After getting nowhere with GMC I brought it to a local mechanic and had it repaired $900. I write this complaint to you because this is dangerous and feel if it happened to my GMC Canyon it probably happened to many others and would force GM to recall them. Thank you.

- Clark, NJ, USA

May 162011

Canyon 5-cyl

I received a letter from General Motors informing me that my vehicle "may have a condition where contamination in the brake lamp switch could cause the loss of brake lamps or continuous illumination of the brake lamps". the letter stated not to take the vehicle to a GMC dealer unless I believed the vehicle had the condition described. They offer to replace the switch only if it fails first. My concern is that ill find out my brake lamp switch failed as another vehicle collides with me from the rear.

- Cedar Point, IL, USA