CarComplaints.com Notes: The GMC Canyon is mechanically identical to the Chevy Colorado.

7.3

2008 GMC Canyon lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Canyon:

2008 GMC Canyon Owner Comments

Nov 272008

Canyon 4-cyl

The initial problem is that the vehicle ignition engages on its own while parked without the key being in the ignition. I would notice the radio playing on occasion. When I opened the door the bells sound like the key is in the ignition but it is not. On other occasions the battery would just be drained dead. I took it in to several different GMC dealer several times and each time I was told since they could not duplicate the problem there was nothing they could do. Soon after, and this has occurred on several occasions, the cruise control would disengage while driving down the highway. On several other occasions the security light lights in the dashboard. Note: This vehicle does not have a security system. The light would clear when I stopped the truck and restarted it. For several years since I have been going through taillight bulbs at a rate of about one per month. Finally a GMC dealer discovered that the plug for the light bulb had melted / burned. All these incidents seem related to the ignition / electrical system and seem too similar to all the other issues recalled to not have been included in previous recalls.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jul 082014

Canyon 4-cyl

At the time of original discovery of a problem the vehicles cruise control would work intermittently. Months after the original discovery, a friend stated I had no brake lights. I checked the fuses and bulbs both were satisfactory. I conducted a check of the brake light switch with a volt meter and the switch is bad. There is no indication to the operator that the brake lights are not functioning. Further research indicates there is a known problem in this make of vehicle. I have conducted a VIN search of my vehicle and it is not covered in current or past recalls of this known issue. I believe the scope of the recall is not inclusive of all affected vehicles. I would also like to know if this issue translates to vehicles that come factory equipped with towing packages, in that if an operator is towing and using the factory installed towing connectors would the lighting of the towed vehicle be affected as well.

- San Diego, CA, USA