8.7

2016 GMC Canyon fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 GMC Canyon:

2016 GMC Canyon Owner Comments

Sep 262016

Canyon

I bought a brand new 2016 Canyon, test drive went well, although I admit it probably wasn't long enough. Purchased on Sunday, and during the next week driving I began noticing the transmission was not shifting at the proper times. Like most people on here, the transmission appears to be very confused, especially when decelerating into the 20-35 mpg range and attempting to re-accelerate back up. It will misfire or be very unresponsive, and then clunk and jerk you forward once it decides to change gears. It also does something that I think is even more dangerous when you are going around 30-40 mpg and then simply let off the accelerator. In this instance, I feel like it down shifts instantly and it feels like the truck is being pulled back (instead of simply coasting like I would want), and then at some point it "releases" from this and the truck actually stops decelerating and speeds up a bit, even though the gas had been released many seconds ago. This is particularly dangerous in stop and go city traffic. I think the overarching problem here is the shift points that the ECM has determined (or been programmed with). You can tell this when accelerating from a stop, my truck gets to third gear by 15 miles per hour and never goes above 2K RPM's"?" I admit I am a bit light-footed on driving, which compounds the problem because I eventually am giving a small amount of acceleration to a truck in 4th gear only going 20 mph, which suck. I have also read this was a common problem on 15 Canyon (obviously read after purchase), and GMC eventually came out with a few fixes, including ECM patch updates or lower valve replacement. I imagine that many of the 2016's were already off the line by the time these '15 fixes came out (in April 15 I believe), but the dealerships have not received any of these for the 2016.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Sep 072016

Canyon

Truck seems to be missing when cruising, then hesitation when accelerating. Seems to be not getting enough fuel frequently when just accelerating. Dealer says they can't find anything wrong. Told them the problem is 90% reduced when using premium fuel. Still no idea.

- Killen, AL, USA