2.7

2002 GMC Envoy electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 GMC Envoy:

2002 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 012008

Envoy 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 GMC Envoy. Upon entering the vehicle, the contact smelled an egg odor and detected fumes along with a burning smell. The contact did not drive the vehicle. Three weeks later, the vehicle was taken to a dealer and they discovered that the front door multi-function switch burned, melted, and needed to be replaced. The current and failure mileages were 60,000. Updated 4/16/08

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 042004

Electrical system failure.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Jul 122004

Envoy

The electrical system shut down while driving 45 mph on the highway. There was no warning. Consumer called for a tow truck so that the vehicle could be inspected. The entire electrical system had to be replaced and updated.

- Larose, LA, USA

Jun 012004

Envoy

Consumer had all of the weather proofing on the vehicle replaced by the dealer as well as the clutch assembly. The fan clutch was replaced, the air bag indicator light came on. The consumer was told that nothing could be done if the light wasn't on at the time. The plastic trim from the seat belt broke, the seat belt failed again, the transmission would drag, the engine light was on and made a grinding noise, the drivers side tire was loosing pressure, the passenger inner door seal leaked, the clock on the radio would reset itself, the drivers side seat belt would lock up when the brakes were applied they would skid and pull to the right.

- Fort Gordon, GA, USA

Oct 292003

Envoy

In Oct. 2003, I was driving to work in rush hour traffic and upon coming to a traffic light my Envoy stalled out and instrument panel went blank; car would not restart & message displayed to service engine & contact onstar, I was unable to get Envoy off of road & sat there for 45 minutes waiting for tow truck to tow vehicle to royal Oldsmobile where they said they replaced computer system; since that time in Jan 2004 vehicle was in garage & would not start; vehicle was pushed out of garage & battery was recharged with jumper cables; vehicle was taken to royal Oldsmobile & I was told that battery was leaking & that they had replaced battery; this vehicle has been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever had; I am leasing this Envoy & I am afraid it will stall out again; also last summer without warning, the air conditioning just quit working while driving on vacation; after Envoy was cut off & engine cooled, then air conditioning started working again; this is a leased vehicle & I want to know who I can talk to about turning vehicle in early & also what information is available about Envoy stalling out without warning.

- Pelham, AL, USA

Sep 282003

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

I have had multiple electrical and transmission problems with my 2002 GMC Envoy. Yesterday my family and I were driving on interstate 80, while on cruise control, the SUV shut off. I barely was able to get to the side of the road. I almost hit a vehicle getting off the highway since I lost power steering. After 15 minutes of not starting, it finally started. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they couldnt find anything. I have written many letters and tried to convince GMC that this SUV is not safe.

- Painted Post, NY, USA

Mar 022002

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

My 2002 GMC Envoy lost all power three times at high rates of speed. The first time we had it serviced and I was told a module needed replaced. The second time, the car shut down at highway speeds but restarted approximately 15 minutes later but then the same thing happened again the next day while my wife was driving home from work traveling at 65 mph down a highway. We had it serviced again and this time I was told it was due to a loose wiring harnass. Car has had numerous problems since and it is an unsafe vehicle for my family to be transported in.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Sep 082003

Envoy

Windshield wipers and transmission are not functioning properly due to a malfunction in the electrical system.

- Lake Jackson, TX, USA

Jul 292003

Envoy

Consumer states while comiing down a hill PCM shorted out. As a result, driver lost all electrical functions. Steering wheel got really stiff. Brake pedal became hard to press.

- Jonesboro, IL, USA

Mar 242003

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

The GMC Envoy's electronics fail. No dash instruments or radio controls. Happens intermittently. Occurs when driving. The engine races unexpectedly. This has happened 10 to 12 times. The slv-truck is currently at the dealer who is once again attempting to repair it.

- Champaign, IL, USA

Feb 052003

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

Transmission does not work properly. Have had it repaired twice, but still vibrates, and fails to move vehicle forward at times, from a dead stop. Is very dangerous at intersections where moving quickly is imperative. Also wiring problems which operate various remote instruments (mirrors, seats, etc.) fear of fire. Rear door latch was replaced - clicks "locked/unlocked" while driving. Seats move on their own while driving.

- Pomona, MO, USA

Dec 032002

Envoy

My 2002 Envoy has a problem with the doors electrical system. Sometimes when I drive over a bump in the road all 4 of the doors will unlock. This problem seems to occur more often during colder weather. The vehicle has been in service 4 times for this same problem, they tell me that they are unable to duplicate it.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 042003

Envoy 6-cyl

2002 GMC Envoy, if you turn the heater controllers full hot you get 200 degree water running through the dash. Install a cd and the heat from the hot water plus laser in cd cause the disk to catch fire. This problem will probably happen in Bravada and trail Blazer also.

- Shady Cove, OR, USA

Jul 252001

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

Our 2002 GMC Envoy was plagued with repeated electrical type problems nearly from the beginning of ownership in July 2001. These problems include locking us out while running, mirrors not holding programming, cd player changing tracks during play, driver seat moving forward and cd player coming on when vehicle was off and no key in ignition, cd player that was on shut itself off and the driver door unlocked during driving, "easy out" feature of the driver's seat moved it forward instead of rearward as programmed, fan and temp. Settings changing, dashboard gauges not working or illuminating while driving. We made repeated trips to a GMC dealer without repair because they could not duplicate the problems. After 17 months of ownership we were not happy and frustrated to have an expensive vehicle with so many problems so early on. Our only recourse was to use the arbitration process with the BBB auto line and our state's lemon law. The arbitrator's decision required GMC to buy this vehicle back. We are very dissapointed GMC did not stand behind their product and concerned that this vehicle will be re-sold as is.

- Carlton, WA, USA

Jan 172003

Envoy

Consumer called complaining, having problems with trailer running light plug which is not working properly. Dealer has inspected in last year and could not duplicate or correct the problem. Also the consumer states there is not instruction on the manual book for this light plug.

- Diamond Springs, CA, USA

Sep 252002

Envoy

Consumer states the electrical system (electronic) is not working properly, dealer has repaired several times and still reoccuring the problems. Please provide furthewr information.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Oct 012001

Envoy 4WD

Vehicle has stalled twice at 65 mph. Vehicle taken to dealer 6 times. Dealer replaced computer. Consumer states vehicle is experiencing electrical problems. Air level system deflates each night, part is on back order.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA