2002 GMC Envoy electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 GMC Envoy:

2002 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 262016

While in motion only, a engine light accompanied by a reduced engine power engages making the vehicle unmanageable to response and cause the vehicle to stall.

- Scranton, PA, USA

Feb 042015

The contact owns a 2002 GMC Envoy. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle experienced a total loss of power and the instrument panel malfunctioned. The vehicle was not able to be restarted and had to be towed away to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the main fuse needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 248,000.

- Sunbright, TN, USA

Oct 122008

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

On the way home from galveston, tx after spending time at the beach. The window switches would no longer work. Their was noise in the arm rest.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 022012

Envoy 6-cyl

Submission from constituent re GMC executive letter reply in engine stalling/stopping while being driven on the freeway of California. The consumer stated the vehicle stalled several times. Also, the service engine soon light illuminated, due to a faulty ignition coil. The dealer also replaced the ignition switch, as the possible cause of the engine stalling. The consumer continued to experience stalling issues, as the dealer was unable to determine the cause. When the vehicle stalled, the ABS and brake warning light illuminated. The dealer found the rear speed sensor connector broken and not sitting properly in the sensor. They repositioned the connector and secured it to the sensor. The consumer discovered a recall, which described the same symptoms he experienced. Recall # 04V289000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 102014

Envoy 6-cyl

Headlights stay on, or flash randomly, making battery drain.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Jun 152014

The contact owns a 2002 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that after shutting down the engine, a fire started near the fuse box. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 142,000.

- Dover, DE, USA

Dec 082012

Envoy 6-cyl

We were again driving on interstate 5 at 60 mph when the engine just stopped. We were once again able to coast to the side of the road. This is the 2nd time our Envoy just stopped running at 60 mph. Again, the mechanics could not figure out why this happened. I happened one more time, but I do not have the date. So that makes three times our 2002 GMC Envoy suddenly quit running while at a high speed on the freeway. We are concerned this is an ignition problem like with the other GM vehicles this has happened to.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 112011

Envoy 6-cyl

We were driving on interstate 5 at 60 mph when the engine just quit. We were able to coast to the side of the freeway. Had to have the Envoy towed to our mechanic. They could not find anything wrong with it. We now believe it was an ignition problem like with the other GMC vehicles.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Apr 152013

Envoy 6-cyl

Over the years I owned this vehicle, I had it serviced numerous times for engine failure. The last and final time, the dealership (ewing automotive) could not find anything wrong. However, while traveling on the highway at 60 miles an hour with a full tank of gas, I lost all power steering control and the car stopped dead. This was extremely dangerous and led me to take a minimal amount in a sale, just to get rid of this dangerous car. It is very disappointing to learn that GM was fully aware of this deadly issue.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 112013

Envoy 6-cyl

There is a problem with the ignition in my 2002 GMC Envoy when the vehicle is on the key comes out of the ignition and it is not suppose to. I noticed that GM has the problem online and found out the hard way that my vehicle has this problem but GM has not put the 2002 GMC Envoy on that recall list at all and I have already talked to them about it and they deny it I have the evnoy that the recals are on. All I get is the run around by GM about the recalls and they want me to pay for their mistakes. The Envoy has 4+ other recall items as well the GM company don't want to take responseability for what they let happen and they need to be held liable for what is going on with the vehicles they made.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Mar 082014

Envoy 6-cyl

A day after replacing the battery, while driving, the driver seat started readjusting and heating on its own so I turned on air conditioner to compensate since I had no idea what to do about the seat while driving. When I did, rear passengers said the rear vents started blowing heat, and a strange clicking noise was heard in the right rear panel, so I shut off the air, opened the windows and clicking and heat subsided. However, the drivers seat continued to readjust and heat throughout my trip and the right rear window had to be pushed up manually once stopped because the electric opener for that window was no longer working.

- Port St Lucie , FL, USA

Feb 142011

Envoy 6-cyl

Stop engine/low oil pressure display continually comes on and while driving, the vehicle hesitates and at times will stall. After replacing PCM, oil sending unit, throttle body assembly, cleaning the PCV valve and map sensor and multiple other parts, I was told that the dealership did not know what it was and stated that they could replace the cam shaft actuator (for a cost of approx. $885), but they could not guarantee that would resolve the problem. I have taken my vehicle back to the same dealership from 02/14/2011 until 11/07/12 and still unable to fix the problem. I've filed a complaint with GMC manufacturer, but still have not been able to resolve my issues.

- Azle, TX, USA

Aug 012010

The contact owns a 2002 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the power seats and mirrors would move independently. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the issue. The failure and current mileages were 105,000.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Mar 032010

I purchased a 2002 GMC Envoy new in 2002. Early this year the starter quit working, I had it towed to the dealer, they told me the starter was bad and it would cost $625. I repaired cars for 30 years before I became handicapped, now I am unable to repair, when I did repair I put about 20 starters in for $39 for the starter and 1 hour labor.

- Port St John, FL, USA

Feb 072010

The contact has a 2002 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the master switch burned out on the vehicle. The dealership told the contact this part has been failing on many of these vehicles and the part is on back order, so the vehicle can not be repaired at this time. The failure mileage was 76500 and the current mileage was 77000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Vanefvillo, OH, USA

Jan 122009

Vehicle has had numerous electrical problems. Mirrors won't adjust, seat won't adjust, radio doesn't work, service engine light comes on, service air bag light comes on, car stalls at traffic lights, cruise control won't work unless I turn off engine and restart. Vehicle was serviced by one dealer who could not find anything wrong. Second dealer could only find air bag module burned up and charged $1500 to replace.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

May 062009

Electrical problem under dash. Dash lights, odometer, and gear position indicator light inoperative. Dealer is changing the dash cluster module.

- Fallon, NV, USA

Nov 292008

2002 GMC Envoy slt. Engine stalls at highway speeds. Loss of power brakes and steering. Engine will not restart for anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes. This is the 5th time that this has happened to me in the past 4 years. 4 times on the freeway and once on a surface road. This time I was with my wife and 11 month old daughter. I was not able to pull the car over to a safe location. I ended up in the left shoulder in next to the fast lane with only about a foot of space to my right where the cars were whizzing by. I cannot tell you the terror that I felt, as my daughter was in her child car seat on that side as the cars passed honking. This vehicle is very unsafe. I have read many internet postings and it appears that this problem occurs often with this make and model, yet whenever I take the vehicle to the dealership all I get is: No codes are displayed, we can¿T duplicate the problem, or they start throwing parts at it. So far I have replaced a fuel pump and a crank angle sensor, had the fuel injectors cleaned. The problem persists. I want to make sure that my description is clear. The engine temperature is normal, voltage is normal, outside temperature can be hot, warm or cold, it can be day or night. It has happened in all of these conditions. What is worse is that I cannot restart the engine for around 20-30 minutes, presumably there is some sort of reset on the computer ECM/PCM that occurs that grants me the right to now drive my vehicle again? this is unacceptable. My daughter, my wife or I could have been injured or even killed. I have never complained about this before except to the dealer but now that I have a baby, I am livid. I am a very experienced driver and have always been able to pull the vehicle to safety even without the power assisted brakes or steering. I very much worry about less experienced drivers such as my wife who is from a foreign country and has only been driving for two years. If she had been driving we would have.

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Sep 022008

I own a 2002 GMC Envoy bought used and it has been a nightmare since I bought it thankfully I purchased an extended warranty. Now they say the main fuse block has gone bad, how I couldn't guess, and they say it is not covered under the warranty. Is this not an electrical hazard that should be covered before something drastic happens, I can't believe I'm the only one this has happened to considering everything that has gone wrong with this vehicle!

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Jul 292008

After starting the car, a burning smell entered the cabin. Noticed the volt gauge was only reading about 9 volts instead of the usual 14. Took car in for check up, and found the alternator had failed. After removing alternator found that the pulley could not be turned as the unit had seized up. This also damaged the tensioner which had to be replaced along with the serpentine belt. The mechanic indicated that we were very close to having a fire.

- Oakland, NJ, USA