8.9

1. replace gas tank (7 reports)
2003 GMC Envoy fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 GMC Envoy:

2003 GMC Envoy Owner Comments

Jan 142014

Envoy LS 3.2L V6

Well the smell of gas inside of my suv for several days and until one morning i went to start my car and notice fuel linking from my vehicle. Make long story short my fuel system needed to be replaced and the cost was about 645.95 i am very upset with this. Gmc should pay me some of my money back. A recall should have been called on this problem years ago. I am :-( and out of money. :-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

- , Ft. Wayne, IN, USA

Aug 012008

Envoy SLT 3.5L

2003 GMC does not allow me to pump gas. I've taken it to several mechanics to no avail. I'm being told by the dealer that the cost to repair exceeds the value of the car. The car reeks of gas all the time.

- , Brooklyn, New York, USA

May 102012

Envoy XL V6

JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE SMELLING GAS AND NOT KNOWING WHERE IT'S COMING FROM. RECENTLY STARTING SEEING DRIPS WHEN I BACK UP TO MY HOUSE. I HAVEN'T BOUGHT AN AMERICAN CAR IN A LONG TIME AND THIS IS THE REASON WHY I WILL NOT DO IT AGAIN. BLAME YOUR LACK OF WORKMANSHIP ON THE ECONOMY AND LET'S KILL A FEW AMERICAN FAMILIES ON THE WAY UP.

- , Manassas Park, VA, USA

Jun 042011

Envoy LX 3.2L V6

General Motors needs to repair this problem for no cost to the customer.

- , Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 312011

Envoy XL V6

click to see larger images

leaking gas, cracked gas tank filler neck leaking gas, cracked gas tank filler neck

Two problems: 1) The fuel neck weld to the tank failed and 2) one of the fuel lines out of the pump cracked causing gasoline to pool up on top of the fuel pump corroding everything metal. We had to replace the entire gas tank because the mechanic didn't feel it was safe to try and fix a plastic weld. And we had to replace the fuel pump and the fuel lines as well.

We smelled gasoline in the car but couldn't find the source since it was on top of the fuel tank. The mechanic couldn't find it either. Nothing was wet. One day I drove down a steep hill and noticed a trail of gasoline on the pavement behind the car. Looking underneath I found the entire tank was wet near the center of the tank. The incline allowed the gasoline to flow over the rim of the recess in the fuel tank where the pump is located. We figure there was a 1/2 inch deep puddle on top most of the time. The mechanic took the tank down and confirmed the problem. This was when he discovered the broken neck which seems to be an unrelated problem with the fuel system.

So we had been driving around for two months with a puddle of gasoline on top of the fuel tank which could have easily been ignited right below where where our two children are strapped into their car seats!

- , Saint Joseph, MI, USA

Feb 142010

Envoy SLT 3.2L

Hello ... apparently I'm not the only one that I have this problem, I have a 2003 envoy SLT suddenly the check engine lit, take it to the dealer and diagnosed that he had a problem with fuel tank, since then I tried the dealer help me repair cost $ 1400.00 but they refuse. my fear is that bad happens lake since the gas leak continues to rise .. f jose hernandez

PR

- , San Juan, PR, Puerto Rico

Jun 282007

Envoy SLE 4.2L L6

Here is the second or third problem that I found on my vehicle, I found that the check engine light on my vehicle was because there was a low pressure in the gas tank, so the mechanic told me right away the the gas tank had a crack in the neck, since he replaced a few of them in the past, the only bad thing is that the vehicle was out of warranty, and the gas tank was like $600 just to buy it. I almost make the mistake on buying a used one but the mechanic told me there was a few of them defective from factory, and there was no recall for it. So what I did is that I used JB welding and it seems to be working fine. The fuel and the odor is not leaking anymore. Now after a few months I got a letter in the mail with the recall on that problem extending the warranty on the tank up to 135000 miles free replacement. So I'm going to have it replace as soon as possible. Thank God I registered my car on the GMC website just to be notify on recalls, other wise I probably won't even know that they just came up with this recall.

- , Yuma, AZ, USA

Feb 192007

Envoy XL V6

I did not expect the filler neck to have a crack only 4 years into the ownership of a new vehicle. I am currently in negotiation with the dealer and GMC to see if I can get them to cover some or all of the repair.

- , Boalsbudg, PA, USA

Jan 172007

Envoy XL V6

The check engine light came on and the computer code said that the gas cap was bad. The gas cap was replaced and the computer was reset. Two weeks later the check engine light came back on. I filled the gas tank and parked the car in the garage. The next morning I smelled gas in the garage. I saw that gas had leaked out on the garage floor. I took the car to the dealer who said the the tank had a crack at the filler neck and the tank had to be replaced. This was not cover by a recall. After review I found that a lot of people were having the same problem. GMC is still looking at the problem. The dealer would not cover the obvious defect. GM has not called me back after 3 days.

- , Beaumont, TX, USA