8.2

2. replace the entire cluster with a new one from gmc (6 reports)
  3. gm recall and replace the cluster (4 reports)
  4. mechanic says cluster is bad (3 reports)
  5. sent cluster to mechanic for repair (1 reports)
2004 GMC Envoy electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Envoy:

2004 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 202013

Envoy XL 4.2L

Dangerous problem with electrical system. Power loss and gauges not working. inferior electrical components. for the cost of the vehicle it is a shame and a reflection on American made vehicles. Same problems with a 2003 Sierra GMC pickup. Finally sold it very cheap. Now my 2004 Envoy @89,000 miles is doing the same thing. These vehicles should be recalled before someone is seriously injured.MY failure happened the day of our worst snow storms. Used 1/8 tank of gas and 45 minutes later I made it home 7 miles away. These vehicles are the worst I've ever owned. (never will purchase a GM product again) The past history speaks for itself. Why doesn't GM do something about this? If the problem can be easily solved why isn't it recalled ? GM might save some future customers. Maybe that's why Ford is now way ahead of GM. I warn all future buyers that there are big problems GM products. GM does not stand behind their vehicles. Buy Ford or Chrysler before wasting your money on a GM product if you plan on keeping it a while...Sorry I'm so pssssssst.

- , Galesburg, IL, USA

Oct 122013

Envoy

OK, I have had this car for 9 years and I have had this problem for about the past 4 years!!! With that being said NO ONE knows how to fix the problem! I can be driving down the road and all of a sudden all the dash gauges light up at once. The radio will turn off if it's on and the power windows don't work.....basically anything electrical stops working.....including the speedometer. It's random when it happens and random when it stops. Over the years I would say it happens at least once a month and it still happens with no solution.

My dealer said they have to see it happen to figure it out so one time it happened during the day and I drove straight there and shut the car off and when they restarted it it didn't happen....go figure. Even another mechanic in town has said they get a lot of this and no one can figure it out

- , Hagerstown, MD, USA

Apr 042011

Envoy

The original issue was with the speedometer, it would stick at 120 mph then we would reset it by pulling a fuse. Now the fuel gauge & temp gauge is not working correctly. It shows temp at 220, however the car is sitting in the driveway and has not been moved. Fuel gauge is not giving an accurate level anymore.

So now there are three issues, speedometer does not work, fuel gauge and temp gauge are all providing wrong information.

THIS NEEDS TO BE RECALLED!

- , Twin Falls, ID, USA

Apr 202006

Envoy XUV SLE In6

cluster quit working, mid gate window regulator had to be replaced, now drivers side power window unit has burnt up and has to be replaced, fire under passenger seat

Always have be a GM man but what a mess on this $40,000 vehicle

- , Lexington, KY, USA

Jan 112011

Envoy SLT V8

Everyone I know who has had this car has had major problems. I feel that GMC should fix all of these issues in a recall. I paid a lot for this car and would like some help with it.

- , Covina, CA, USA

Aug 242011

Envoy 4.2L V6

Same complaint as lots of people. Bought my car used, check engine light on from the get go. Made an appointment, took it in, they told me it was just a sensor. Two weeks later, we realized speedometer was sticking. Took it in, told me they couldn't find a reason. Next thing was oil gauge went whacko. Still no reason. After 3 month warranty ran out, gas gauge quit working. Took it in, and miraculously, they realized it was the cluster that needed replaced. And since there were no records of me taking it in for that specific reason before the warranty expired, it was gonna cost 900+ to fix it. Now, in February 2013, I didn't pay to have it replaced, the RPM is stuck and the car starts to shake wildly when you go over 55. HELP!!!

- , Shelocta, PA, USA

May 162011

Envoy SLT 5.3L

Nearly got a ticket about a month after purchase in 2011 in my XUV 5.3L model. It went from minor inaccuracy to complete failure in about 2 days. Ford Used dealership I bought from subletted to a Chevy dealer, they replaced whole cluster under warranty.

- , Savannah, Georgia, USA

Jan 012013

Envoy LX 3.2L V6

RPM are running at a very high level , however you can hear by the engine there isn't a problem., when i shut off vehicle that gauge never moves off 5 or 6 when the rest go to zero when engine is shut off. i see a lot of complaints, this should be a recall issue.

- , Elizabethville, PA, USA

Jan 102011

Envoy Crome

speedometer crazy. gmc knew this was bad on all 2004 trucks going to fix this and get rid of it

- , Akron, Ohio, USA

Dec 092011

Envoy XL 4.2L

I see there are many complaints about the cluster problem on the 2004 envoy, but haven't seen any offers of help from GM. How can I get help from GM about fixing or replacing the cluster. I use my TOMTOM to check my speed. Thanks for your ear

Wibbett in ARKANSAS

- , Palestine, AR, USA

Feb 162011

Envoy SLE 4.2L

This gauge cluster not working issue is intermittant for me, and its crazy. It works more then it doesnt work, and now not working and I ran out of gas. Say OMG. So when I have taken in for scan before its working and they find nothing. Now not working and they cant find issue and want to change the entire cluster out for 900.00. Now come on. Was there not a arecall on this issue??? I also Have R- brake light issue. Use to be minor every once in awhile it needed changing, now its every week, and they can't find that either. So all this money for diagnostics and changing out parts and now 900.00 or more to fix, because they cant find issue and what causing??? Cutter Chevrolet on Ala Moana........PLease call GMC HeadQuarters..............I need help with all tese COST!?

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

Feb 252011

Envoy SLE 4.2L V6

click to see larger images

cluster gauges not working

My speedometer stopped on 90mph and would go up from there to the odometer below the gauge and then back to 90 at a full stop. I had to drive 20 minutes on a highway surrounded by cops without knowing how fast I was going.. And after reading a couple websites worth of the same complaints and how some people paid up to $453 im pissed off.

I've put up with all the minor problems my Envoy has given me in the past but this is ridiculous. How can you own a vehicle and not know how fast your going. There absolutely needs to be a recall on this problem because i am not alone. Ive been to 20 sites and have seen the same problem over and over again. Im going to GM tomorrow and insist that they fix this problem at no cost to me and im bringing print outs of other customer complaints so hopefully they will fix this or everyone is eventually going to stop buying GM cars...

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 112011

Envoy XUV 5.3L V8

my 2004 gmc envoy xuv v8 has a speedometer problem , the gauges are not accurate - driving 120 km and show 20 km. Sometimes its good but always shakes while the needle goes up or down.. so I really need help for this one , I read on internet that it is covert until 110 000 km on a special coverage adjustment .. so I am over 4242 km. Is there a way to cover that?...

- , Petit-Rocher, N.-B, canada

Feb 012011

Envoy LTD V6

Mileage Gauge went out. While getting a quote thru GM I ended up with a speeding ticket for $125. I told the officer my gauge JUST went out and I was waiting for an appointment with GM to get fixed. He said 'drive by your RPM's. What a guy.

GM wants $700 / found someone in the metro that will do for $229 labor and parts.

A short time after the gauge went out there was a 'clicking' noise by the bank window. After one month (I haven't got my gauge fixed yet), it clicks on the right side for one minute and then the left side clicks for one minute. Almost like a windshield stuck, trying to activate. Click, Click, Click.

Now my RPM's are not reading right. I have been keeping it under 2 (55 miles per hour) but now even going 50 miles an hour the RPM's race up to 4&5....???

- , Aitkin, MN, USA

Aug 032007

Envoy SLT V6

At first engine light stayed on. Then Speedometer would go to 110 to 0 while driving and now not working. Now the fuel gauge is not working and the ABS light now comes on. Now while driving at night the headlamps go out. What next? It is my opinion that I did not break this cluster problem so why should I bear the cost of repair?

- , Breaux Bridge, LA, USA

Jul 232010

Envoy LX V6

My speedometer stopped working at times, oil gauge quit. It hardly ever worked now. It is so frustrating. Why is there not a recall on these problems? My friend also has the same problem with her 2004 trailblazer.

- , Newport, TN, USA

Sep 102007

Envoy SLE V6

The RPM would go up as though I was driving about 80 mph but I would only be going about 15mph. At first I did't think much about it until the speedometer start to do the same. Then it would go away only to come back over and over. And still never a recall.

- , Thomson, GA, USA

Apr 092010

Envoy SLT

There is definetly a problem with the cluster unit in these Envoys. My speedometer started off sticking at 120 mph but then would eventually go back down to zero. Now it has gotten worse and not for sure if any of my other gages are reading correctly. A bunch of BS.

- , Wabash, IN, USA

Sep 252009

Envoy XL 4.2L

It seems to me that on GMC vehicles the cluster for gauges is a common problem. Why were there no recalls?

- , Damascus, GA, USA

Oct 162008

Envoy

One day the speedometer stopped working, then the RPM, then the oil gauge and so on. One day while on a long drive out of town, I ran out of gas. I hadn't realized that the gas gauge had stopped working because it said I still had 3/4 tank of gas! I was 300 miles from home, it was snowing and I was stopped on the side of the freeway.

I could not believe this! I finally got roadside assistance to come fill me up... an HOUR LATER. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in. He told me it would be $97 for a diagnostic then any parts and labor is $120 per hour.

I told him to shove it.

It's been about 8 months since then and I have learned to be my own gauge. I estimate when to get gas based on how many miles I've driven, I listen to the engine for the RPMs, & use a GPS system with speedometer that I bought online for $45.

Every once in a while I just get so so worked up that I bang on the shield to the gauge clusters just to see if that might help. It helps my frustration, but does nothing to actually solve the problem.

- , Napa, CA, USA