2004 GMC Envoy electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Envoy:

2004 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Feb 012010

My 2004 GMC Envoy slt cluster gauge; speedometer, gas gauge, and oil pressure gauge have stopped working.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Apr 032010

Defective Envoy speedometer.

- Spring Valley, IL, USA

Jan 012010

Nothing descriptive led up to the failure. It happened for no reason we know. The problem is consistent and a new one started today. The problem has not been diagnosed or fixed. I found several similar issues on internet for same model and year vehicle today after being notified by wife that another area of same device has malfunctioned.

- Austell, GA, USA

Jan 152008

Speedometer was on 80mps everytime I started the car, I would turn the motor off sever times to bring it down about 5mps, until that quite working completely. My sister-in-law had the same problem with hers at the same time I did. Well, I went to get my fixed they said it wasn't covered under a warrenty and the cost was high at the time so I had to barrow a gps system to use to clock my speed. Then the gas gauge went out. Would have to wait until my gas light came on to let me know when I was running lowand when I would put gas in my car, I would have to try and start it 3-4 times before it would start. My car is in the shop today, and after alot of research I notice alot of people have the same problem, and GMC does not want to take no credit for their error.

- Houma, LA, USA

Mar 032010

Envoy 6-cyl

My wife has a 2004 GMC Envoy, about 6:00 Mar 03 2010 she called me from her truck, saying the odometer said she was doing 95 mph when she was only doing about 55mph after I got her to calm down and pull over. She stop the truck and waited on me to get there. I notice the RPM's was stuck on 6000 the gas was on a 1/4 tank after she said she had put 40$ in the tank 30min ago plus the clock said 12:49 and it was like 7:00 after talking to a few people found out there was with the cluster. Was talking to my father who has a 05 GMC truck said there was a recall on the clusters.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 262007

Envoy 6-cyl

Right after purchasing. Engine light has been on. Purchased in June/2006, with 40,000miles. 1yr after the RPM gauge quit working, right afterwards, the fuel gauge started messing up, going back & forth, then went out completely, battery/oil gauges are out now. The seat belt lights/airbag lights bing constantly & does not tighten up when put on brakes. When this happens the check gauges light comes on, and at the same time I have difficulty getting it in gear. I am also having trouble setting my cruise control.

- Milledgeville, GA, USA

Feb 102010

During normal highway driving, the instrumentation panel needle gauges began to malfunction. The speedometer initially registered significantly higher than actual speeds (registered 110+ mph when traveling at ~65 mph) and then stuck at 15 mph regardless of actual speed or when at a complete stop. The tachometer also began to register higher than actual RPM, showing 6,000+ RPM even when the vehicles engine was returned to idle or turned off. Other gauge malfunctions include the oil pressure gauge which would also intermittently register higher than actual pressure. Without either a functioning speedometer or tachometer, it is very difficult to estimate actual vehicle speeds and maintain a safe driving speeds. Have contacted a local GMC dealer regarding this issue and have not yet identified a remedy.

- Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Nov 102009

I purchased a 2004 Envoy off the showroom floor. First issue was an erratic speedometer, then non-working gas gauge, now it is all gauges. I have a picture with the car in park showing 15 mph, the digital reading shows a full tank of gas but the gauge needle is below empty and also no oil pressure or temperature. The entire cluster is faulty, not just one gauge.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Aug 152009

Envoy xuv 2004 oil pressure stalled 80 or higher. GM has a tsb regarding issues with the clusters #07187, but they are not accepting that the Envoy also has the same problems. Dealers want to charge around $500 to $1000 to fix this problem which they know is happening on many models.

- Bayamon, PR, USA

Jan 082010

Speedometer does not work accurately. Check engine light came on randomly. Is currently out and I was able to pass emissions, hopefully it will remain out. Had to replace many parts including the heater core, thermostat and coolant. Now I am experiencing a problem with the fan of the car.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Nov 052009

Speedometer on 2004 GMC Envoy slt quit working. I found that this is a very common problem with GM vehicles, however they have not issued a recall for it. I feel that this could be a huge safety issue and that they are aware of it but continue to ignore complaints. Knowing your speed is extremely important when driving.

- Gordonsville, VA, USA

Jun 152009

Instrument panel cluster issues. Driver 1 resets to unknown driver, ABS light, seatbelt light, 4-wheel drive, etc. Lights flash on and off, battery gage fluctuates, headlights and instrument panel lights flicker dim to bright. Occurs while driving down the road very sporadic. Diagnostic stated faulty instrument panel cluster. Issue if not fixed, the vehicle could stall when driving and lose power.

- Mount Horeb, WI, USA

Oct 222009

I purchased a used 2004 GMC Envoy slt, with an extended warranty from Grand Prix auto group, hicksville, NY in August 2008. Soon after purchasing the car it stalled while we were at a red light. Immediately brought the truck back to the dealer and they said they fixed it, may I mention it never stopped stalling. Then the speedometer broke again. It constantly says I'm traveling 120 miles an hour. Once again, brought it back to the dealer, they tell me I need to go to a GMC dealer, I do, they replace the information cluster and speedometer, had to pay a $ $300 deductible. This was in March 2009. Driving the other day October 2009 and the speedometer once again says 120. Get pulled over, get a ticket for a broken speedometer. The officer was aware I was not traveling at that speed, and even when I tried to explain, wanted to hear none of it. So now here I am again, broken speedometer, engine that stalls often and a summons to boot. I need help and I don't know where else to turn the dealerships are of no help. Jacqueline king

- Levittown, NY, USA

Apr 012009

On a 2004 GMC Envoy, the whole odometer/speedometer went out. Nothing worked and I had to get my whole instrument cluster replaced.

- Belle Chasse, LA, USA

Nov 202008

2004 GMC Envoy instrument panel cluster suddenly started not working. It hasn't worked properly since it happened and reads incorrect speed, oil pressure, and fuel levels. Nothing has been done to correct the failure by the dealer.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

May 052009

The speedometer on my 2004 Envoy has been inaccurate at least 5 times in the last 9 months. I noticed that this problem arises when there is a spike or dip in temperature outdoors. For over 24 hours the speedometer was stuck at 120 mph. The speedometer corrects itself over the course of 4 or 5 days depending on how many starts and stops I make around town. I see that GM isn't going to claim any responsibility on this matter so I just pay very close attention to my speedometer when driving and stay in the slow lane. Can't afford to pay the big bucks for their mistake.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Feb 172006

I have 2004 Envoy have had problems with alternator. Started about 6 months after I bought the Envoy had I replaced 3 times then started having problems with back seat window on passenger side not rolling up. Then my girlfriend had a flat on side of road and could not get spare down I had to go out and cut the cable that holds it up. That is a unsafe thing to do on side of hwy should not take 45 min to get spare down. Headlights dim and brighten gets dim enough that makes hard to see.

- Hartshorne, OK, USA

Apr 052009

When traveling down the road and putting on the brakes the headlights and dash lights flicker. The flickering is so much that is looks like we are flashing other cars.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Feb 062009

My 2004 GMC Envoy has developed an erratic speedometer. The speedometer reflects inaccurate speeds causing an unsafe driving condition. I contacted my local GMC dealer who researched to find no recall concerning this problem I then submitted my complaint to the BBB hotline and was rebuffed their also. I have consequently done additional research and have found that GM has issued a special coverage adjustment bulletin for 2003-2004 Cadillac escalade, Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban and Tahoe, GMC Sierra and Yukon. The speedometer unit in these models are very similar in both appearance and are manufactured by the same supplier GM uses. The adjust bulletin is #07187 dated September 28,2007 and covers the condition for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles regardless of ownership. After visiting many GMC and Chevrolet chat rooms it is readily apparent that this problem is very common and will eventually result in a fatal accident. I am requesting that the NHTSA formally investigate this problem before this happens.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Dec 172008

Problem started out as erratic reading with speedometer. After approx. 5 days speedo finally wouldn't register at all took vehicle to authorized dealer to be repaired - $555 charge to replace instrument panel and reprogram. Called GM for financial help as I noticed there were alot of failures with GMC SUV's and pick-up trucks. GM would not acknowledge there was a problem which I feel is totally disingenuous. Speedometer is necessary to be working as a safety issue. Because I was out of state at the time of part breakdown I felt I had no choice but to have problem fixed before my return trip home (1250 miles). Judging how many other Envoy have had same problem, I feel GM is dodging their responsibility I noticed that there has been class-actions against them for the same problem.

- Waukesha, WI, USA