2004 GMC Envoy electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Envoy:

2004 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Feb 202009

The speedometer gradually decreased from interstate speed (70mph) to 0 mph while driving. Speedometer fails to operate. I personally know 2 people who have had this happen on a 2004 Envoy.

- Grenada, MS, USA

Feb 012009

The tach on my '04 Envoy with 67K miles started acting erratic and has completely failed just as all the other service bulletins. This has corrected itself buis till erratic. GM needs to address the faulty electronic gauges on these '04 Envoy.

- Gilford, NH, USA

May 012007

Instrument cluster. Speed odometer and tach not accurate. I have had 2 speeding tickets because I don't know how fast I am going. Not sure of the date it first happened but it is getting worse. GM dealer in my area was rude to my wife and said they will not cover it.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Aug 012008

I began experiencing problems with the instrument panel on my 2004 GMC Envoy a few months ago. The entire panel would go out and all the gauges bottomed out. I could not tell my speed, gas level, rpms, etc. The panel would stay out for a few days then return to normal. Also on occasion the speedometer would stick at 60 mph and only correct itself if I pulled over and turned the truck off then back on. Finally, about two weeks ago the entire instrument panel went out and has never come back on. I have dropped it off at the dealership for service and am awaiting their response. This problem has caused me to run out of gas twice because I was unable to judge my fuel level. Luckily both times I was in an area with easy access to the shoulder of the road. I currently have approximately 55,000 miles on my truck. (I can't be sure of this, however, since the odometer is a part of the panel that is out.) this is a serious and, according to my research, recurring problem the GMC should be forced to correct and pay for.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Oct 202008

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Envoy. While drving 20 mph the speedometer stopped working. The dealer stated that they assumed it was a part of the manufacturers recall and repaired the vehicle. The dealer confirmed after the repairs were made that the vehcle was not within the recall VIN range. The dealer has billed the contact for the repairs. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 55,000.

- Winterset, IA, USA

Dec 122008

Speedometer malfuctions.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Dec 172008

I have a 2004 GMC Envoy in which the speedometer has stopped working. I researched this on the internet and it is a common occurrence. I almost caused a wreck because the speedometer said I was going faster than I really was and the cars behind me almost ran into me. This is a safety issue that I feel should be investigated. Could you please assist w any recall measures. It costs over $500 to replace this.

- Manhattan, KS, USA

Nov 012008

My 2004 GMC Envoy mph and RPM gauges are not working properly, I called the dealership and an extended warranty was put on all GMC/Chevy trucks and SUV for the dashboard cluster except for the Envoy, any newer models. The part is at least 500 and advised can only be done by dealership due to programming. Im furious, my truck is only at about 53,000 miles. This defect needs to be under recall for the Envoy asap!

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Oct 182008

This past month the speedometer set at 40 mph with car in "park" position. Afterward when driving, my actual speed had 40mph added to the reading. This has occurred three times so far in October 2008.

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Aug 112008

Driving at slow speed and noticed speedometer was reading incorrectly--much higher than actual. Vehicle driven several times since, with continued incorrect speed rating. All original equipment at 68,000 miles with no previous repair noted.

- Winfield, WV, USA

Jun 012008

Speedometer stopped working.

- Athens, AL, USA

Jan 102007

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

1. I purchased a 2004 Envoy. The dealer I purchased it from had it under warranty. 2 weeks after I purchased, the interior lights were coming on and off, the automatic door locks started to lock by themselves simultaneously. Non stop. It scares my children, as well as I, because I don't know if it's going to spark a fire or what. Sometimes it does it more than others, for example, when it rains, but it only does it when I roll the driver's side window up. Even if its not down and I roll it up it does it. As well as if I hit a small pot hole and sometimes it just does it on its on. I've taken it to a GMC dealer 4 or more times and they can't find the problem any where. So, nothing has been done to fix this problem because no one can find a solution. I park my $18,000 vehicle next to the road in case it does spark a fire. Please inform me if anything is available or who I need to contact at GMC to find an answer.

- Campbellsville, KY, USA

Jun 172006

The mph and RPM gauges not working. I can be sitting at a stop light and it shows my 2004 Envoy is going 70 mph. Also the RPM gauge will say 0 rpms when I am going at any speed. We have repeatedly disconnected the positive cable to reset the gauges. I am afraid I will get pulled over because I have no idea what speed I am going. Has anyone else had this problem?

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Jul 012006

Envoy 6-cyl

I have been experiencing headlights, interior lights, lighting in the dash, and other lighting flicker while driving. It appears to be happening more and more. The lights become very dim and then get bright again in a matter of a few seconds. This is getting to be dangerous as people tend to pull over in front of me and sometimes traffic in going in the opposite direction coming towards me will pull of the road all thinking that I am flashing them either due to an emergency or just some wild driver behind the wheel. I had taken my vehicle to the dealer but he states he can not find anything wrong. Of course he also stated they took it for a ride but it does not happen for them. I guess not, it is hard to see lights flickering in the sunshine.

- Ramrod Key, FL, USA

May 042006

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

: the contact stated while exiting the off-ramp of the highway at 20-25mph, the check engine and reduced power light illuminated and there was a loss of all vehicle power. Although the engine restarted after several attempts, the vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection. The dealer determined the accelerator sensor needed to be replaced. Afterwards, the loss of power persisted and the accelerator sensor was again replaced by the dealer as well as the computer. Additionally, the horn intermittently worked, but the horn was not inspected.

- Trinity, NC, USA

Mar 202006

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

I bought my GMC Envoy in January 2004 for approx. $42,000. This car has everything. After about 2 months of the purchase, my gps went out and had been fixed twice. My brakes do not always work --sometimes they slip especially when I need them most -which is scary. GMC said that they have heard about this problem before, but did nothing to resolve the problem. The engine stalls periodically. GMC said they do not know why. The gas gauge and odometer do not work properly. When I brought my vehicle into North county GMC dealership in san diego for repairs I mentioned my gas gauge did not work along with many of the other issues. After they repaired the odometer by replacing the cluster, the gas gauge still did not work. Every single time these problems happen I am forced to pay a $100 service charge just so they can look at it and because I am in sales, I am also forced to get a rental car. After all this, I am still quite displeased with GMC. I hate to say it but they are supposed to be the best american car "?professional grade?" and if this is true I will never buy an american vehicle again. GMC said they would be checking on all these problems and every single time I picked my Envoy up after they supposedly fixed the problems, I found several issues still unresolved. They suggest I need to set another meeting to bring my Envoy in and of course will cost another $100.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 022006

Envoy 6-cyl

First of all my odometer gauge stopped operating. It remained on zero miles while I was driving the vehicle since November 2005. The whole dashboard cluster had to be reinstalled. Secondly; the service engine soon light began popping on and the Envoy was driving rough. I found out from a GM dealer that the clutch fan froze which caused the water pump to break and the radiator to over heat burst the radiator hose and spew out and leak all of the water and radiator fluid from the radiator. The Envoy is now not drivable. I have only had this 2004 Envoy since November of 2003.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 012005

Envoy 6-cyl

Headlights, driving lights and all interior lighting dim and flicker approx every 30 seconds. Has been this way for over 10 days, dealer cannot diagnose problem until the "service engine soon" light comes on, which it hasn't. it is nearly impossible to drive at night with dim, flashing, headlights, and is confusing to other drivers. Also, a fan can be heard blowing off & on approx once every minute, and this is with the vehicle completely turned off and the key out of the ignition. This is constant, I'm concerned the battery will be dead and the car won't start, or that the lights will completely go out while I am driving at night. Rear passenger door locks suddenly stopped working with the remote and the door unlock switch on the driver's door. I have to climb over the front seat into the back to physically unlock the door to remove my children from the car.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Apr 222004

2004 GMC Envoy developed the following problems: Vehicle stalled, turn signals stopped working, blower fan stopped working, and the SRS light remains lit. The turn siganls stopped working due to a short in the flasher. The powertrain control module was replaced due to the ses light iluminating. The blower motor fan failed 4 times due to a short in the wires and control head. The vehicle overheated, but the problem could not be diagnosed. The lcd displays, knobs become extremly hot after hours of driving.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Nov 052004

Envoy 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Envoy. I had taken the vehicle in for service previously for electrical issues. The headlight and interior lights would constantly flicker as you drove. The drivers door also locked itself when exiting the vehicle. The problems were intermittent, happening about 3 to 4 times a month. Since the problems persisted, I again took the vehicle for service. Another electrical problem had arisen also. The horn, at times, would not work. Again this was an intermittent problem. The dealer said they could not locate the problem unless it was occurring when they had they were checking it. I called GM customer assistance to file a complaint. They then talked with the dealer. The car was kept for several more days and returned with the diagnosis that the problem could not be located since it was not occurring when they had the vehicle. They did note that the horn had quit working and then started working again while they had the vehicle but were still unable to diagnose and correct. I contacted GM customer assistance and was informed them I considered these problems a safety issue, since I was unsure if the flickering condition in the lights might cause them to go out while driving, and the fact the horn may or may not work when needed. I was informed there was nothing else they could do unless the problem became consistent.

- Ortonville, MI, USA