2004 GMC Envoy lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Envoy:

2004 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 292016

Envoy

The headlines turn off by themselves while I am driving at night. This problem has been going on since January of 2015. I have taken the vehicle to several shops, and even the dealer, but nobody knows how to fix the problem. Currently, the headlights only work in high beam. I drive with high beam lights and fog lights. Either way it is a safety issue. High beams can cause accidents. Driving with no lights can cause accidents. Lights shutting off while I am driving can cause accidents and/or death.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Envoy

Ac plug to fan motor burnt/melt, daylight/headlight connectors melted multiple times had them replaced 3 times each side... cluster/ radio/ac lights burning out lights out on different areas from illumination to gages to radio and ac control button lights head lights went out while driving so did cluster, radio and ac lights had the cluster replaced by dealer while under warranty back in 2013 over cluster shortening, had my radio replaced as well by dealer same time

- West Covina, CA, USA

Apr 142016

Envoy

I was in the highway tail lights weren't working in was headed to Idaho due to that im still in North Dakota also like a month ago I was pulled over in the city for no back lights it's happen 4 or 5 times two on a 15 hour road trip.tailgate has open twice once in city and on highway now it doesn't shut at all its been like that for 5 months now and it started to not want to open or close the roof part as well it sound as if its jam.I worry about my safety and public as well. Just paid over $2400 for rebuilding trany, power steering, and my gear shift as well it would not shift it snap off.transmission went out 6 hours before I got to my destination.it was towed to a trany shop around Nov.12/2015 picked up Feb.23/2016 hoping they would fix all the rest of defects it has. You name it this Envoy has it or has had it from headlights bulb being replaced every so often and melting were light bulb goes, A/C and heater don't work properly driver side is hot and passenger cold or vice-versa. The passenger back sit I would not know.midwindow doesn't work it doesn't roll up or down or that latch that comes down to haul stuff as well it doesn't work. When I roll my power windows my headlight and engine idle powers goes down as if there is an electrical problem.I've invested on this Envoy a week later when I drove it out of the yard. I have all my receipts from professional mechanics.its been a bad experience.I hope my trany doesn't go out after I'm done fix all this other problems. I read after someone had rebuild the trany 13 months later he had the same problem again with his Envoy. It's not safe to operate a vehicle with so many issues especialy with no back lights going from good to not working.every time I have to be checking if I have my rear lights are working or in front and also my front low light I have no visibility what so ever.they are so dull.

- Watford City, ND, USA

Apr 182012

Envoy

Cluster want power up properly at start up. Warning lights give false information. And now radio sometimes want play correctly. Ac fan want work on all speeds also at times. I looked up recalls and there was one 03V096000 but it did not cover my year. You can get different displays giving bad information on every start up.

- Norris, TN, USA

Jun 012015

Envoy

When I park my car the headlights come back on after a minute. The only way to turn them back off is take batery cable off.

- Rex, GA, USA

Jan 142015

Envoy

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the headlights illuminated independently when the vehicle was turn off. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Eurrells, SC, USA

Oct 122014

Envoy 6-cyl

Parked the vehicle in a parking garage so I know the lights were working when we went in. As we were leaving approximately 3 hours later, the low beams would not come on at all. Had to run high beams; had several people look at the fuses, replaced bulbs, etc. But they could not find the problem. A couple of weeks later just before I was taking it to a dealer to look at the problem the low beams began working again. Approximately two months later the exact same thing happened only this time I heard a faint noise from the engine compartment and smelled a burning (seemed electrical) aroma for a few seconds when I realized the low-beam lights were not working again. After a week or so the lights came back on again.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Aug 122013

Envoy 6-cyl

I have been reading many of these post. I can't believe all of the things that have also happened to my Envoy. I have had my back window blow out while driving, thank god that both of my kids that were in the back seat were not hurt, they were just scared and still ask if it will happen again. I also recently just had to have a piece on the gas line fixed which was almost $900 money that I didn't have and had to borrow. I am still paying it back. Now as for last night my low beams are not working, I bought new bulbs and that didn't work, so it is back to the mechanic. Oh and I have a check engine light that goes on and off. They really need to get on all of these things. It would be nice to have the car working the way it should be. I may just print these things up and bring to the GMC shop and see what the can do about it. I mean I really to love my SUV but this is crazy. I am now kind of scared to have my kids in the car.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Oct 152012

Envoy 6-cyl

Headlights stopped working, speedometer stopped working, fuel gauge stopped working, voltmeter gauge stopped working.

- Linden, NJ, USA

Oct 162013

Envoy 6-cyl

Noticed smoke coming from under the hood and then passenger side head light went out. Upon investigation I noticed the light socket for the head light was melted. I did some research and learned that this appears to be a very common problem, with some actually causing fire or accidents.

- Drexel Hill, PA, USA

Jan 012013

Envoy

The low beams will not come on !!! this nearly caused an accident ! please I beg of you "recall".

- New Alexandria, PA, USA

Nov 092012

Envoy 6-cyl

Connection to headlights keep burning up! (plug) I replace them 4 times already!

- Bellflower, CA, USA

Oct 012011

Envoy

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the warning lights and gauges on the instrument panel failed. The contact mentioned that the turning signals only worked intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to a repair shop or dealer for inspection. The manufacturer was made aware of failure who stated that there was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 05V198000 (exterior lighting: Turn signal) related to the failure however the VIN was not included. The current mileage was 120,000 and failure mileage was 90,000.

- Marion, SC, USA

Jan 012011

Envoy

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the turn signals would fail intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the blinker switch housing assembly needed to be replaced. The remedy failed to repair the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 05V198000 (exterior lighting:turn signal). The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 102,000 and the current mileage was 110,000.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Jul 202010

Envoy

2004 Envoy: Rear brake lights and parking lights have failed frequently and needed replacement 6 times in 6 months. Brake light failure is a safety hazard. It may result in an accident. I saw a recall on NHTSA website about this problem. Took car and NHTSA paperwork to GM dealer. Dealer said recall was for vehicles before and after mine. This conflicts with NHTSA campaign number #04V527000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 202010

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Nov 282009

Envoy

2004 GMC Envoy sle - frequent recurring problem with headlight failure. Headlights will turn off without notice. Checked fuses, connections and wires. Have taken to local GMC dealership (beckon maston) for repair however dealership unable to diagnose. Vehicle is completely oem, please advise.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Oct 152009

Envoy

Windshield wipers when turned, even if the mist or wash is selected will not turn off without shutting the vehicle off for approx. 15 minutes also both head low beam head lights will not turn on with or without the switch.

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Jun 152005

2004 GMC Envoy 4X4.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Apr 052009

Envoy

When traveling down the road and putting on the brakes the headlights and dash lights flicker. The flickering is so much that is looks like we are flashing other cars.

- Muskegon, MI, USA