2005 GMC Envoy electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 GMC Envoy:

2005 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Apr 172010

The contact owns a 2005 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the instrument panel stopped working which made it impossible to determine the speed and how much fuel was in the vehicle. The failure also caused the headlights to flicker. The vehicle was not inspected by the dealer or a local mechanic to determine the cause of failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was 105,189.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Jun 182010

- Salsbury, NC, USA

Jan 132011

Blower motor resistor harness melted and started on fire. Some burnt plastic behind dash and melted wires. Had to replace blower motor resistor and harness, and will probably replace fan speed controller. Not sure what cause is......

- Douglas, WY, USA

Dec 222010

Speedometer failure ignition switch failure (multiple times)

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 222010

Speedometer failure ignition switch failure (multiple times)

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 052011

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

I own a 2005 GMC Envoy the drivers side headlight continues to go out on a monthly basis. The last time it actually melted the connection and needs the whole lamp to be replaced. The gas gauge has stopped working and part of the interior dash lights. We replaced the fan switch a while back for the heater and the cd player started working again and the drivers side temperature light came back on for two days.

- Pittsburg , KS, USA

Dec 012010

The contact owns 2005 GMC Envoy. She stated that the fuel gauge and speedometers were faulty. The fuel gauge displayed empty and the speedometer displayed that the speed 100 mph while she was only driving 40 mph. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the failure was not a recall; therefore, they were not paying for the repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 103,000.

- Spring , TX, USA

Jan 032011

Envoy 6-cyl

Overheated and melted electrical connection at fan speed switch under dash!

- Acworth, GA, USA

Jan 012011

Envoy 6-cyl

2005 Envoy instrument cluster going bad. It will seem fine then the mph go way off and who knows if you can trust the other gauges while on the road. I've read that most GMC Envoy have this problem and GMC is not acknowledging the known problem. Dealership said it will cost me 575 dollars to have it replaced.

- Crosby, TX, USA

Sep 192010

The contact owns a 2005 GMC Envoy XL. While driving 45 mph, the speedometer displayed that the vehicle was traveling 85 mph. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop where the instrument cluster was replaced. The contact called the manufacturer and dealer who offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 73,000.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Apr 152010

The contact owns a 2005 GMC Envoy. The contact was driving at an unknown speed when the speedometer failed. The dealer was informed of the failure and stated that the warranty did not cover the repair for the instrumental panel. Any repairs would be at the contacts expense. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 87,000.

- Laurel , MD, USA

Aug 312010

For the last few months my 2005 GMC Envoy denali has had repeated problems with the fuel gauge. After re-fueling the vehicle, the gauge will go to empty and illuminate the empty tank warning light. The check engine light also comes on. Within a few miles the fuel gauge will begin to fluctuate wildly for a period of time, making it impossible to know how much gas is in it. The fuel gauge sometimes begins to operate again after the car has been driven for a few days. Car has become unsafe because it is difficult to determine how much fuel is in it and empty tank sensor "cries wolf." Also, the fuel gauge has begun to register a full tank when really the gas tank is near empty. Once you start driving the fuel gauge begins to fall slowly until about 10 minutes later it finally registers the proper gas level... I've thought my husband filled up the tank and almost run out of gas because the fuel gauge didn't tell me I was out of gas until I was on the highway stuck in traffic - away from a nearby gas station. The trip odometer is not an exact science so it cannot be relied upon. (mpg vary depending out temperature, city vs. Highway miles, mph, etc). Message boards show that this is a common problem and eventually lead to the car stalling unexpectedly, even during highway travel. See "

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jul 132010

Out of nowhere my front head lights went out. Its not the fuse or the bulbs, both front low lights went out. The high beams work. There is no power going to the lights and I have to buy a new switch. I also had to replace the engine almost a year ago because the O rings went up. The gas gauge is broken and my passenger window will not go down. I feel so stuck with this car!

- Shady Side, MD, USA

Oct 262005

Car switches into all 4W and higher by itself. I had been to a dealership 3 times in one year for which they were unable to find the problem. Now my warranty is up. After that I took it to a transmission shop where they supposedly fixed the problem for over 800.$ a week later it did it again. Now I have the 4WD disconnected for safety reasons. I would be driving on the freeway at 60-75 mph and if would switch and not come out no matter what I do. I have owned this vehicle for almost 5 years and it has done this the whole time. I am a single mom and I drive my 17 and 7 year old around in this car. Even with it disconnected it still tries to switch. There is no specific time, temperature, or other reason this happens. It has happened when I turn on the car and sometimes I can go a couple of weeks and other times it happens daily. I also have had my lights not go on for no reason and also the doors lock and can only be unlocked by using the key. And the hatchback will not open at all when this happens. Electrical?? help!!

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 132010

2005-Envoy orig owner> speedometer started going crazy pegged at 120 when I was doing only 65(gps says speed) then it went down to 20 still doing 65- this morning all fine. Today after work same craziness. Like others wondering why was this model left out of safety recall? won't be buying a GMC again that's for sure. Bought car 5 years ago next month and less the 70,000. Can see there is a known issue - based on all the hits you get on the internet when you google it.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

May 282010

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy. I have had several issues with the ignition switch, the fuel gauge sensor, and the rear hatch. I have replaced the ignition switch four times, purchased a new battery, and a new starter, as well as a fuel sensor. I still have intermittent issues with my car not starting for no apparent reason and stalling out while driving and especially when decelerating. The stalling is a severe safety hazard as I travel very busy highways during my daily commute. My wife and children, as well as myself, have been stranded many times when the vehicle would not start after operating fine prior to turning off ignition. We have had the vehicle in the shop many times and have been told there is nothing that can be done for us because they have no idea what the cause is. At this point, I do not allow my wife to drive the vehicle anymore out of fear for the safety of her and my children. This is a significant stress for us that I feel we should not have to endure.

- Commerce Twp, MI, USA

Jan 282010

I was on my way to work during the winter months and my blower fan stopped working. At first I couldn't see very good out my window and my headlamps started dimming. There is an overload someone near the blower and my vehicle only has 70,000 miles on it. I think this should be a recall because you need heat and light to see when you drive and without it can cause accidents. I was down in a ditch when mine went out and thank god someone was watching over me. The price you pay for a nice vehicle their should be no defects with under a 100,000 miles. I have still from this day haven't had the money to replace it because my truck payments and insurance break my budget.

- Laketon, IN, USA

Aug 302009

Envoy 6-cyl

The gas gauge stopped working and shows that the vehicle is on empty. The "low fuel' indicator on the dash will blink randomly and "ding" to draw my attention to it. The gas cap was replaced a week later but the problem has not been resolved. It continues to read "empty." Since then the speedometer has also stopped working. The speedometer hand has completely dropped below the 120 mph mark, although for a few weeks it would register that I was driving much faster than the speed of traffic around me. Moreover, it would register 30 mph when the vehicle was completely stopped. Yet, it has since stopped working altogether. The vehicle has also recently stalled in reverse and several times has surged/accelerated quickly when I am driving slowly and push the gas pedal to accelerate. I have an appointment with the local GMC dealership and have called the national GMC dealer to document my complaint(s).

- Tumwater, WA, USA

Jun 102009

Envoy 6-cyl

2005 GMC Envoy gas gauge does not work. Car had 42000 miles when it quit. Car now has 50200 miles on it. Gas gauge reads empty and sometimes will float just above empty even with a full tank of gas. Car has left family along side road while waiting for help. Should be a recall as there is thousands of complaints on this issue. Updated 02/01/10 updated 02/02/10.

- Weirton, WV, USA

Nov 152009

The speedometer constantly shows different speeds. Will be driving down expressway at 65mph and next thing you know it shows 90mph so you slow down 65 again and realize that everyone flies by. The best I can figure is it will suddenly show a different speed than one is actually going from 20mph less to 40mph more. Different every time.

- Onsted, MI, USA