2005 GMC Envoy electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 GMC Envoy:

2005 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Dec 122014

Envoy

I was driving about 25 miles per hour @ night when all the warning lights on the dash came on and all the gauges read zero except the speedometer and tach, transmission gear selector wasn't indicating what gear I was in & radio also killed. Headlights, wipers & directions were still functional. I only had a mile to drive to get home. Parked vehicle in garage and shut off....only to discover that power locks had failed and I was locked in car, power windows were also out! removed key from ignition and forturnately the remote key fob unlocked the door. Had this been an emergency situation, I would have no way to exit the car nor would any passengers. Anyone else having this problem? I contacted dealer to aprize them of this new problem and was advised that if it's intermittent they would have problems fixing it. The vehicle seemed to reset in the morning and all dash warning lights back to normal!

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Oct 282014

Envoy

The contact owns a 2005 GMC Envoy. After turning the key in the ignition switch, the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Roselle, NJ, USA

Nov 142014

Envoy

When I went out to start my car it wouldn't start so I took the key and my dad my be I need a jump he said no if that was the case the car wouldn't even turn over. I went back out to try it again but still nothing sio I began to turn the key back and fourth and eventually it stared. A few minutes the cigarette outlet caught on fire so I unplugged my car charger.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Mar 012013

Envoy

The contact owns a 2005 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shut off and the heater fan continued to operate. The contact had to unplug the battery terminal in order to turn off the vehicle. In addition, the contact noticed that the fuse box was melted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician replaced the fuse box and other parts that were damaged; however, the failure persisted. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start on the first attempt and the gear shift would not shift gears. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Eatonton, GA, USA

Oct 072014

Envoy

The oil pressure gauge is reading above 80. Had oil changed immediately. Was told that there have been complaints regarding the mis reading of the instrument panel. Contacted GM and was told that at this time they are not covering the repairs and that it is the consumers responsibility to replace the engine sensor system. GM has some of the rudest and nastiest customer service representatives. I had to call 3 times in one day. They even hung up on me. I spoke with jonathan, connie and veronica. I asked about the safety of the vehicle and other potential problems, such as engine fire or entire system shutting down and not responding. They had absolutely no answer for me other than they are not covering the cost of the repair.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Envoy

The contact owns a 2005 GMC Envoy. While attempting to stop the vehicle, it stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted, but the failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 128,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 012014

Envoy

Drivers side window module became inoperable. While traveling on the highway a lot of smoke started coming from the panel causing us to pull over, open the door and turn the engine off. It never started fire but heavy smoke came out for about 10 mins and left a strong electrical smoke odor for hours. Window panel is now completely inoperable.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Apr 262012

Envoy

The SUV has shut off on me three times in the last 2 1/2 yrs (the time I have owned it. ) each time I was just driving on the city streets going about 30 mph. All of a sudden the car just shut off and all lights, etc just turned off. I am concerned wondering if perhaps there is a problem with the 2005 Envoy ignition switch as well" no, it was not the battery or anything to do with the servicing of the SUV. I take care of the vechicle and I don't drive 200 miles a month. I guess I am lucky that each time I was not gong fast and the SUV just slowed down and came to a stop, on the side of the road. However the 2nd time, I had 2 little girls in the car with me and it concerned me a great deal.each time the SUV started back up and I was able to resume driving after about 2 minutes. What if I had been going faster " what if I had been on a highway etc. If there is an issue with the ignition, please lets fix it before someone dies. I will make sure everyone in my family know about the shut off problems I have had with the car. Just in case something happens while I am driving it.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 282006

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

2005 GMC Envoy. Consumer writes in regards to concerns that vehicle has not been included in the ignition switch recall. The consumer stated the vehicle suddenly stalled, while driving 70 mph. The speedometer went to zero, and all the lights went out. The consumer was unable to steer the vehicle. According to the repair invoice, the ignition switch dropped out voltage.

- Lake Waccamaw, NC, USA

Jul 012014

Envoy

Speedometer is staying ON100 miles per hour, will not move or go back to 0. are all GMC like this

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 052014

Envoy

Fuel sensors affecting proper read out on fuel guage. Window an door lock switches on driver side door does not work properly. Works when it wants to. Clips on headlight an grill assembly constantly coming loose.I have contacted GM. About wrong fuel readings they told me the problem is fuel sensors in the tank but will not pay for repairs due to closed recall. This problem has resulted in running out of fuel mutiple times. Even though this problem and other problems has just recently started.the cost is over $600 dollars that I should not have to pay.....

- Elkton, KY, USA

Aug 052011

Envoy 6-cyl

GMC Envoy shut down completely, with out warning, on the express way. Auto repair diagnosed the cause as a "faulty" ignition. Ignition was replaced. Another complaint has been submitted for the same vehicle. Two years later, the ignition switch was replaced, due to the same problem.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

Sep 152013

Envoy 8-cyl

GMC Envoy shut down while driving. All power lost. Vehicle came to a complete stop just a few feet before an intersection. Dealer replaced ignition switch, due to "multiple codes stored in the ECM." Ironically, almost 2 years prior, same issue with the vehicle happened on the express way. We were lucky to be able to get to the side of the road before the vehicle came to a stop. Ignition switch was replaced during that incident as well. Two ignition switches have been replaced in the same vehicle over the course of 2 years. I'm surprised that this vehicle isn't part of the GM ignition recall!

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

Feb 072014

Envoy 6-cyl

The first day we had the truck the speedometer displayed the wrong speed and has been that way. It works occasionally. Then a week later the low beam head lights went out while driving. They came back on after a few mins. This happened again a few days ago. The fuel gage is in accurate as well. I took it to a shop and they said the instrument cluster needs to be replaced but found no issues with the head lights but there is definitely an issue with the headlights and that is very dangerous.

- Faith, NC, USA

Jan 162013

Envoy

The contact owns 2005 GMC Envoy. The contact stated while driving, the speedometer failed to display the actual speed. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the entire instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. The current mileage was 118,000.

- Sunman, IN, USA

Dec 092013

Envoy 6-cyl

At lees than 1/4 tank of fuel the gas gauge is close, after refueling, the fuel gauge goes way past full and will stay like that until fuel is below 1/4 tank. Last time the truck took $19.85 gallons in a 20 gallon tank until it started working correctly again. One tank it worked fine and next fill up it was way beyond full again. At the same time when fuel gauge is wrong, the speedometer will be off. Many times freezing at 35mph while traveling 65mph. After many resets of ignition, the speedometer will come back. Also when all of this is happening with the speedometer and fuel gauge, the radio has no audio. Every now and again, the radio will come back and work on one speaker. Most of the time it is out. When weather is warmer, all 3 functions seem to work regularly. Below 50 degrees, all malfunction.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Dec 312012

Envoy 6-cyl

The fuel sensor on this vehicle fails prematurely.

- Brooten, MN, USA

Aug 142012

Envoy 6-cyl

Initially the amp gauge pegged out followed within a month by the speedometer giving up or sometimes reading 120 mph while sitting at a red light. I was told that this was a common problem and could be repaired at a cost of about $600. Not being able to afford that at the time, I installed a gps unit so I would have some type of speedometer. Within 2 mos. Time the car stalled upon takeoff from a light with ringing bells, the dash warning lights dimly lit and the tachometer bouncing from 500 to 2500 rpms while the engine was stopped. The car would not re-start until the key was turned off once or twice and the warning lights lit brightly. This problem has been recurring more and more frequently sometimes at highway speeds over 65mph. I'm told GM is well aware of the problem but refuses to issue a recall because it is not mandated as a "safety problem". I drive the interstates for a living and have nearly been rear ended numerous times already. How can this not be a safety issue and how can a company which took millions of taxpayer bailout money not be forced to deal with this issue.

- Churchton, MD, USA

Jun 172013

Envoy 6-cyl

A recall has just been issued for GMC Envoy. Driver side door panel shorts out and may cause a fire. Recall for 2006 and 2007 model years. My car is a 2005 and the driver door controls have been shorting out for about a year. I have not yet had a fire but why was my model year not recalled and what steps can I take to have this model year included in this recall?

- Milford, CT, USA

Feb 202013

Envoy 6-cyl

2005 GMC Envoy bought in February of 2011. A few months later the fuel gauge only registers as empty regardless of how much fuel was added to the tank.

- Clarksville, TN, USA