2.0

2005 GMC Envoy fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 GMC Envoy:

2005 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 222016

Envoy

The contact owns a 2005 GMC Envoy. Upon starting the vehicle, there was an abnormally strong fuel odor inside the vehicle. Upon inspecting the vehicle, it was noticed that fuel was leaking under the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 012016

Envoy

Reading numerous complaints that compare to mine the fuel gauge, oil gauges, air conditioner are all malfunctioning in my car and I'm very upset because all of this should have been recalled. I purchased my car brand new in 2005 and I will never buy a GMC car again for this reason it's one thing to recall repair parts that were broken that to repair malfunction parts. Very disappointed. In short my gauges don't work, my air conditioner only works on one side and now my headlights low bean don't work. GMC needs to recall and repair.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 012015

Envoy

When stopped in traffic or at a stop light, my vehicle will idle roughly and sometime stall. It does this in drive, neutral and park. I've had it checked and they couldn't find anything wrong. There are no codes showing a problem.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Jul 072015

Vehicle intermittently stalls/stops.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 142014

Envoy

When I went out to start my car it wouldn't start so I took the key and my dad my be I need a jump he said no if that was the case the car wouldn't even turn over. I went back out to try it again but still nothing so I began to turn the key back and fourth and eventually it stared. A few minutes the cigarette outlet caught on fire so I unplugged my car charger.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Aug 012014

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

The fuel gauge reads faulty, will fill up the tank and it will show as empty, then it will show 1/4 full and needle will fluctuate intermittently between 1/4 tank and empty. Has been diagnosed as the fuel level sensor.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Apr 012014

Envoy

Filled up gas tank to full, when pulling out of gas station, fuel light came on and gas gauge showed it was empty. After driving for a short while gauge started to go to full. This happens everytime I fill up for gas.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Feb 072014

Envoy 6-cyl

The first day we had the truck the speedometer displayed the wrong speed and has been that way. It works occasionally. Then a week later the low beam head lights went out while driving. They came back on after a few mins. This happened again a few days ago. The fuel gage is in accurate as well. I took it to a shop and they said the instrument cluster needs to be replaced but found no issues with the head lights but there is definitely an issue with the headlights and that is very dangerous.

- Faith, NC, USA

Aug 262013

Envoy

In March 2012 I had motor mounts installed on my 2005 GMC Envoy at the dealership jay GMC Buick columbus Georgia. On August 26,2013 they are telling me I need new motor mounts because of the age of vehicle and miles they need to be replace. I guess parts are old and professional installing is old to. During this same time had a tune-up {major} and now have to have coil and plug install. This make it seem paying for professional serve is a waste of time. My fuel injector also needs cleaning again. In the future I can only expect 40,000 miles on anything fixed by dealer.

- Phenix City, AL, USA

Apr 172013

Envoy 6-cyl

The fuel gauge on my vehicle started to go up and down and then the yellow empty light came on all of a sudden while driving. Even after filling up the gas tank, the fuel gauge does not read correctly. I'm now at the point I have to keep track of my gas usage by using my trip meter and tracking the miles that I drive. I'm afraid to take my vehicle on long trips, not knowing when I may run out of gas.

- Essex, MD, USA

Feb 202013

Envoy 6-cyl

2005 GMC Envoy bought in February of 2011. A few months later the fuel gauge only registers as empty regardless of how much fuel was added to the tank.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Apr 052011

Envoy 6-cyl

Fuel gauge stopped working in April 2011. Showing empty even when full. Took to dealer. Mentioned I heard trailblazers also having issue. Was told no recalls. Had to pay for repairs. Finally got notice can get portion of money back. It took months to get portion of money back. I had to keep following up even though they confirmed they had my paperwork. Strike 1. had car in for 100,000 mile service, 9/24 - 9/25/2012, only to go back later because of car seeming to now have issues accelerating and car was not reset after oil change. Told needed engine mounts. Disputed this as seems strange car was running and sounding fine before 100K mile service. Went back and forth with dealer.took car back to have master tech check and also because oil gauge stuck in one spot. Went in 12/31/2012. Was quoted repair price for oil sensor and now repair quote not only has engine mount replacement but also quoted trans mount replacement. Really....refused repair. Strike 2 and 3. btw, also needed new tires. I went to other dealer approximately 35 minutes away instead to get tires. On 3/5/2013, on way home notice speedometer showing about 90 miles even though gps says I'm only doing about 67. Exited interstate, shut car off and turned back on. No change. Got home, turned car off. Speedometer stuck at 20 miles. Morning of 3/6/13, started car, speedometer stuck at 7 miles. Worked full day. Got home and it was back to zero after turning car off. Current odometer is approximately 106,102. These people need to own up to their mistakes and errors. We spend enough money with them. Grass may not be greener with other make vehicle but customer service goes a long way!!!!! will take a lot to get me to buy another GMC or similar vehicle.

- Covington, GA, USA

Aug 012012

Envoy 6-cyl

Fuel gauge registers empty after filling tank. Light & sound sensors indicate low fuel level. Fuel must drain slowly into tank or gas pump shuts off. Electrical dash indicators do not work for a time after fueling so cannot set the trip indicator to gauge the mileage to a tank of gas. Fuel on occasion does not shut off at the gas pump when tank is full.

- Ewing, NE, USA

Nov 052012

Envoy 6-cyl

Gas gauge continuously fluctuates between empty and full even with a full tank, this also causes the engine light to come on. There has been numerous complaints from other owners with the same problem but a recall has yet to be issued. Called the dealer and they said they will cover half the cost. Why not the whole cost since this issue is so prevalent?

- East Orange, NJ, USA

May 012012

Envoy 6-cyl

Headlights began to dim, then brighten repeatedly, as to appear to be "flashing" other drivers. Shortly after, the oil pressure gauge malfunctioned. After the oil pressure gauge, a few days later the battery gauge malfunctioned. A few weeks later, the gas gauge stopped working right. Now, the engine continuously jerks, like it is missing due to lack of fuel. Contacted GMC on 11-09-2012. No solution.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Oct 052012

Envoy 6-cyl

After receiving recall for fuel pump and sender, gas gauge started acting up. When filling, gauge would read empty with light on or would go all around pass full. Wife had to use trip meter to estimate how much fuel was in tank. Took to dealer and they said level sensor failed and replaced same at no cost. Picked car up and was driving about week, when wife said gauge not working again. Checked and found when car was started gauge went to half, turned car off gauge stayed at half and when started again went to 3/4 full. Did this several times and gauge went pass full. Called dealer to ask if GM had come up with something for their cars to make fuel so I would not have to pay $5 per gal. They said no, so took car back to have checked again. This time was told it was cluster which was bad. So had replaced at a cost of $486.10 and guess what not part of recall. So had to payout of pocket. I told them they need to stop putting so many chinese parts into so called made in America cars because they cannot talk to each other. Just crossing fingers it will get me to midwest and back before something else goes bad. Need the good old days back when you didn't need a computer to trouble shoot a computer in your car. Oh by the way, you cannot expect the politicians to call for GM to pay for these repairs, because it might lower their stocks from inside trading, when they found out they were bailing GM out from bankruptcy.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 202012

Envoy 6-cyl

Fuel gauge indicated nearly 1/4 tank and the car ran out of gas. From that time forward the fuel gauge would bounce back and forth from empty to full right after I filled completely up. It would start to work properly after about 40 miles or so. I was told by a mechanic that my running out of gas may have had an effect on the calibration of the level sensor since it was only doing it when it was completely full and then would work fine after awhile. The problem continued to get worse, it continued to bounce back and forth when the tank was full, but within a few weeks started to do the same thing once the tank got down to around 1/2 full. It continued to get worse and now continually stays on empty. My check engine light would also come on when the sensor was going crazy, and now that its always on E, the engine light is continually on. I have to completely fill my tank and set my trip odometer everytime I fill up so that I have some idea of how much gas I have, but it has still caused me to run out two additional times since the initial time I ran out and I realized there was a problem. I have taken it to a dealership and was quoted a huge amount of money to have it fixed, especially since I have recently found out this is a very common problem with the sensors on GM trucks from that time frame and GM issued a recall notice. My truck currently has just under 117,000 miles on it. I bought it used from a GM dealer in 2010, and have not received any recall notification.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Oct 012012

Envoy 6-cyl

The gas gauge went crazy. I filled up my tank but the gas gauge is showing incorrect readings. It jumps left, and right at random times, and sometimes reports that the fuel tank is empty even though I know it's full.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Sep 122012

Envoy 6-cyl

I was driving my 2005 GMC Envoy through a parking lot when the engine failed, causing the car to jerk and come to a sudden and complete halt. The gas needle suddenly registered on empty (although there was fuel in the tank) but the SUV wouldn't restart so I had it towed. Per the independent mechanic's diagnostics, the fuel sending unit was bad, which caused the car to stall. In addition to that, the fuel level sensor was bad and required replacement along with the tank. GMC had direct mailed me a letter several months prior regarding a fuel system issue; in that letter, GMC offered to pick up 50% of the costs of repairs. I contacted customer service to get information about the process and to confirm that it would be honored prior to towing the vehicle to the dealership, which I reiterated several times. During that call, I provided the VIN, mileage and a description of the problem per the independent mechanic. GMC customer service bridged in the local dealership, who agreed that the work could be done within a day's time. Neither provided any caveats to honoring the "special coverage" offer. Based on our verbal agreement, I towed the car to the dealership who later agreed the fuel level sensor failed but stated the sending unit and tank weren't in need of repair as they'd put in 5 gallons of gas and started the engine. They also provided an estimate of $1150 for all of the work with the expectation that I'd pay 100% of the cost. After several calls/escalations, GMC refuses to pay any portion of any repairs not because the system wasn't faulty, but because my mileage exceeded their 120,000 mile "special coverage" limit (which was only disclosed after multiple calls). GMC has shown no regard towards the safety hazard the faulty system presents to my life nor my passengers' lives or any unsuspecting motorists traveling the same course should the SUV stall again.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 012012

Envoy 6-cyl

As reported by many other GM customers my vehicle has experienced the same fuel gauge/sending unit failure. It began slowly with minor inaccuracies in fuel amount. Then it quickly and steadily got worse until the fuel gauge doesn't work at all. I understand that GM acknowledges the problem, but refuses to pay the full price. I believe the NHTSA should force them to fully repair their faulty equipment which renders the driver blind as to how much fuel they may have. This could be very dangerous.

- Inman, SC, USA