2.1

2006 GMC Envoy fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 GMC Envoy:

2006 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 292014

Envoy

The fuel gage fluctuates from full to empty. You never know when your getting low on gas.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 162015

Envoy

Voss Chevrolet, dayton, Ohio, returned my Envoy to me on September 2, 2015 without repair of a dangerous malfunction threatening serious injury to me or others. It is a sudden unintended acceleration occurring over seven times sporadically from July thru August 2015 as I have slowed to a stop at a traffic intersection and also when pulling head -in to parking spaces. It can only be stopped by abruptly switching from drive gear to park or neutral. I have driven this vehicle for just over 5 years of a 12- year period while also driving my non-General Motors vehicle. As well, I have driven a newly purchased vehicle since April 2014. I have owned many vehicles over the past 51 years. I bought the 2006 Envoy from voss Chevrolet as a certified vehicle,32,000 miles, in April 2010. Voss electronic monitoring confirmed the fact that the high speed acceleration actually occurred while braking, but they stated when their service person kept and drove the vehicle it did not occur. GM (tac) advised them unintended acceleration was "impossible and the only answer" is that I must be using two- feet, holding the brake and accelerator down simultaneously. (the voss electronic camera monitor they had given me had shown an acceleration equivalent to ""80 miles per hour while braking occurred! that is also documented.) (despite never a need to use two feet, in this SUV the left foot always rests some distance away on a foot-rest near the driver's door). I do not falsify matters. My background is one of integrity and reaching factually supported and logical conclusions arising from professional demands of a 41-year career as an attorney recently retired as a federal judge.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Apr 042015

Envoy

Ignition switch failure at speed causing loss of power to fuel pump which ultimately meant loss of power to vehicle at freeway speeds. Was told by GM that there is no recall on this particular ignition switch at this time.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jul 162014

Envoy

The vehicle fuel gauge goes from full to empty. It then starts to cause the car to stall when it goes to empty nearly causing another car to hit you.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Apr 302014

Envoy

The contact owns a 2006 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the fuel gauge indicated that a quarter tank of fuel remained. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 138,775 and the current mileage was 138,963.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Nov 012012

Envoy

The contact owns a 2006 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the fuel gauge intermittently failed. The contact also mentioned that strong fuel fumes emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel lever sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 232012

Envoy 6-cyl

Driving on the highway the vehicle suddenly read empty on the fuel gauge, then the panel said low oil pressure shut off engine. I ran out of gas on a busy highway passing lane almost causing a bad accident with my 5 year old in the back seat as I could not tell my fuel level. The fuel gauge would work sporadically over the next few days and the low oil pressure would go away and come back. When I had this checked out it was thought to be the oil sending unit so it was changed along with the fuel sending unit. The fuel sensor was resolved at a cost of $300 but the low oil pressure came back on even though oil was well maintained. Suddenly on 3/1/2012 the engine ran load when started up. I had towed to the shop where (GM where they determined the engine was no good. I had it towed to another shop that determined the engine was no good as well. I had to pay to replace the engine almost $5000. I then looked online for this issue and found a website trailvoy.com (represent Chevy trailblazer and GMC Envoy). Here I found 1000's of post of people having the same issues looking to file law suits and wondering why we can have no recall on this dangerous vehicle. There ore 1000's of people having low oil pressure, dead engines with low mileage vehicles, run out of gas on busy roads such as myself and much much more. The GM issues we've experienced and are experiencing has been here long before the current issues of GM vehicles. How can we get someone willing to have this vehicle and issues on the recall list and get reimbursed for the 1000's of dollars spent to repair this very defective vehicle. If a petition will do it please shine some light on this. I had received post on the forum from numerous people willing to join a class action suit and many were consulting attorneys on how to move forward with this. This is a major issue that we desperately need the NHTSA to look into.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 012013

Envoy 6-cyl

My fuel gauge keeps fluctuating. Even when I have a full tank of gas, the gauge fluctuates, and goes to empty and the low fuel light comes on. This happens when I am parked, stopped at a light, and going down the road. It doesn't matter what speed I'm going, the gauge goes to empty and the light comes on. It happens when I have a full tank, half tank, quarter tank. Please help!

- Joliet, IL, USA

Dec 132012

Envoy 6-cyl

Filled the gas tank with gas and it moved up and down for a few hours then went down to empty where it has been since then regardless of how much gas is in the tank. It has cause the engine light to come on and not go off.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Apr 162013

Envoy 6-cyl

My 2006 GMC Envoy XL gas gauge reads empty after filling, then slowly moves up after driving but will continue to lose pressure until it reads empty and the light is on. Sometimes it will just remain on the E an the light will be on when I have gas in my vehicle.

- Big Spring, TX, USA

Jul 032012

Envoy 6-cyl

Stability control light constantly come on for repair, second repair on fuel system, diagnostic shows problem in steering and right wheel.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 152013

Envoy 6-cyl

Filled fuel tank, gauge read full, as I was driving the gauge went to empty within 2 minutes. The gauge will sometimes read half, but as soon as I start driving it goes to empty.

- Moultrie, GA, USA

Mar 072013

Envoy

Fuel gauge has stopped working properly, reads different levels while driving, says there's no fuel and we just put fuel in the tank.

- Haddock, GA, USA

Mar 012012

Envoy

Fuel gauge made several jumps back and forth after fueling and pulling away from the pump. Gauge worked intermittently for a couple of weeks then failed completely. Check engine light stays on now in addition to fuel gauge reading of E even after fueling the vehicle. Has been like this for more than a year now and about once every 6 months it springs back to life for a moment then back to E.

- Le Claire, IA, USA

Sep 052011

Envoy

2006 Envoy gas gauge stopped working and my wife ran out of gas on a busy freeway in houston. The steering locked up and she could not turn off the freeway. She was sitting in traffic at rush hour. ## VIN failed ##

- Dickinson, TX, USA

Oct 202012

Envoy 6-cyl

I had just purchased my Envoy a few days prior and was on my way to get gas. The fuel was low but the fuel light was not on. When I stopped at a red light, my Envoy died. This happened at every stoplight until I put gas in it. This has happened multiple times since then. It happens anytime my vehicle is between 1/4 tank & empty. The fuel light is not on when this occurs. It almost seems as if there is not as much gas in it as the fuel gauge reads. It has only stopped one time while I was actually moving (as I was coming down a ramp to get on the interstate). It did not start back up immediately when I attempted to restart it that time, but took several tries before it started. It will literally die every time I stop until I put gas in it. There have also been a few times where I have slowed for a red light, then the light turned green so I went to accelerate and the vehicle either sputtered and felt like it was not getting gas, or died completely. Luckily, most times I can put it in neutral & get it to start right back up without having to pull over. However, I feel that his is a serious safety issue for myself & the other motorists traveling behind me as I travel very busy roads on my way to and from work. I have learned to keep the fuel above 1/4 tank but the way this thing burns gas, it does get low from time to time before I get to the gas station. I don't know if it's a fuel system issue or if the gas gauge is incorrect but this needs to be recalled because it is definitely a hazard for myself and others. Additionally, everytime I start my vehicle since it has gotten cold, it idles very high - like a loud high pitched whirring noise. It then goes very low and almost sputters. It does this several times before leveling off and sounding 'normal'. again, I don't know if this is a gas or engine issue but I feel like it is not getting gas.

- Colona, IL, USA

Aug 012012

Envoy

The contact owns a 2006 GMC Envoy. The contact stated while driving 40 mph the fuel gauge began to show empty even though the vehicle had fuel. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic and the fuel sensor gauge was replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 112,900 and the current mileage was 112,980.

- Harwich, MA, USA

Aug 232012

Envoy 6-cyl

While traveling on the interstate this morning, the speed on my 2006 GMC Envoy dropped suddenly and I had to pull to the side the road where the car completely stopped. I notified onstar, who performed a diagnostic test and indicated there was an issue with the fuel delivery system. The car would start up again, but only momentarily and the engine would die again. I had it towed to my home and am contemplating what to do at this point in terms of repair. There was another issue just over 2 months ago when the fuel gauge was not working and it ran out of gas. No indicator light ever came on. There was at least 15 gallons of gas in the vehicle today, as I had just filled it up a few days ago and had not traveled far. I have filled it up every weekend since the indicator light incident. About 2 years ago, I had to replace other parts related to the fuel..possibly called a fuel regulator?? which was mounted to the gas tank. This occurred at 37,000 miles. I was denied an inspection sticker because of an issue with emissions and had to replace that part as well.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jul 202012

Envoy 6-cyl

The fuel tank level sensor is defective and could result in the vehicle running out of fuel, stall, and being rear ended by another vehicle. When doing a google internet search for "2006 GMC Envoy fuel sensor", I found that this is a very common problem with this vehicle. Called GMC call center at 800-462-8782. They have recognized it as a problem, and are paying for half of the repair cost (10 years or 120,000 miles). Repairs must be performed at a GM dealership. NHTSA has had other reports of this same issue with the GMC Envoy.

- Tullahoma, TN, USA

Apr 022012

Envoy 6-cyl

The fuel gauge will not register the correct amount of fuel in the tank. I filled up the tank and the fuel indicator went to F than immediately went to E. I now must use my trip indicator so that I know when to fill my tank. I never get a correct reading, it is constantly on E!!

- Amherst, NH, USA