2.8

2006 GMC Envoy fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 GMC Envoy:

2006 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Nov 192009

Envoy 6-cyl

The gas gauge has failed. It reads empty all the time. It is a very expensive repair, and the places willing to repair it are few and far between. The dealership is extremely expensive in this area. I understand many, if not most Envoy have this problem, and it can be dangerous, especially here in fairbanks, Alaska, where the temperature is easily -40 and sometimes colder. That is not a situation where running out of gas or a fuel situation occurring is something that a person is going to easily navigate during at least eight months out of the year.

- North Pole, AK, USA

Nov 302006

Envoy 6-cyl

Fuel gage stopped working. Fuel gage needle stayed on E after filling up. Stalled in left lane of interstate 80 in denville, New Jersey with my two daughters. Their ages at time of incident were eight and eleven. Almost rear-ended by tractor trailers. All three of would have been killed if the truck driver had not been alert and swerved to avoid us as I slowed and navigated to right shoulder.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Sep 162009

Envoy

The contact owns a 2006 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the fuel gauge malfunctioned and the contact was unable to determine the exact amount of fuel in the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing and the dealer stated that the fuel gauge sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 61,000.

- Atascadero , CA, USA

Sep 012010

Envoy 4WD 8-cyl

The fuel gauge does not read correctly. This has caused the vehicle to run out of gas several times now in the middle of traffic due to the gauge telling me I had more fuel than I actually had.

- Troy, MI, USA

May 022011

Envoy

My 2006 Envoy's fuel sensor guage abruptly quit working by originally, randomly indicating improper tank volume. At this point in time, the fuel guage is permanently stuck on empty and my fuel light stays on and the onboard computer constantly chimes and advises my fuel level is low. I just received a letter from GM stating they are aware of the problem and that provided my vehicle is displaying the signs of the problem (it is) I could take it to an authorized dealer for repairs and I would only be responsible for 50% of the repair bill. I find this absured! why should I pay to fix a known problem" why isn't this a full recall" I feel GM should pay for the entire bill to replace the fuel sensor and am requesting assistance.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Apr 152011

Envoy 6-cyl

We have a 2006 GMC Envoy with 46,952 miles on it. One day in April 2011, with a 3/4 tank of gas, I was driving to work and the gas gauge dropped unexpectedly to empty. The bells started going off the messages came on the dash, the engine lights came on. This literally scared me to death. I thought the gas tank had ruptured and that all my gas had leaked out. I was terrified that the vehicle would come to an abrupt stop in the middle of the street. I made it to work and immediately looked under the vehicle to see if anything was leaking. There was nothing. I went into work and worried all day about how I was going to get to a gas station. When it was time for me to go home, I started the Envoy and the gas gauge read back to the 3/4 full tank. I started on my way home and all of a sudden the gauge dropped again. Ever since that day, every time we start the Envoy, the gauge will not read past "empty" and the warning bells/messages come on all the time. Sometimes, several times while I'm just driving to work. It came to the point where we do not drive the vehicle much anymore. With winter coming, I have to get this problem fixed as I need a dependable source of transportation. We have been told the problem is a fuel sensor in the gas tank. Whatever it is, we feel that GM should fix the problem for us and very soon. Would someone please respond as I am very unnerved about this whole situation. Thank you

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 102011

Envoy

The contact stated the check engine light illuminated when the fuel gauge displayed that the fuel tank was empty; however, the vehicles fuel level was at capacity. The mechanic stated the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 90,000.

- Fayatteville, TN, USA

Aug 182011

Envoy

On my 2006 GMC Envoy my gas tank was reading between 1/4 and a 1/2 tank of gas, so I stopped to fill up. Once I started the car back up the low fuel light was on along with the fuel gauge being on empty. After driving a few miles the engine light came on and stayed on. Once I was able to stop and turn the car off I did and the lights both stayed on. I began driving again on the highway and all of a sudden the gas tank started to rise up to 1/2 a tank to full. Then once off the highway it went back down to empty and then started going back up and down for the rest of the drive. I've never had an issue with this vehicle before, so when this happened I was very surprised.

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Aug 132011

Envoy 6-cyl

Fuel gauge problem - GMC Envoy.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Aug 092011

Envoy 6-cyl

The fuel tank level sensor is defective and could result in a subject vehicle running out of fuel becoming stranded, stall, and being rear ended by another vehicle.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jul 192011

Envoy 6-cyl

I have a 2006 gmac Envoy - 49,000 miles - one month ago the gas gauge started moving on it's own, I would fill up and will show full as I am driving it will go all the way to empty and then slowly move to full and then back to 1/2 tank and the empty which makes the light and bell come on. When I turn off the car and restart it will then go back to full or stay on empty. This is a safety hazard I never know if I am running low on gas and will be standard in the middle of the road or is it about to stall out which could cause a wreck.

- Monroe, NC, USA

May 152011

Envoy 6-cyl

2006 GMC Envoy: Fuel tank sensor shows fuel then doesn't, bounces back & forth. I drive in the mountains and am now very paranoid that my car will run out of gas and leave me stranded on a mountain highway....very dangerous. Mechanic says error code is PO463. I am so afraid to drive my car alone now... so I stop gong down & then back up the hill just in case I can put in more gasoline. My car also has a drivers' side master control window that burned.... could have started a fire. When my mechanic took it apart, he showed me the burned areas, ... smells bad.

- Miramonte, CA, USA

May 272011

Envoy 6-cyl

The gas gauge on my 2006 GMC Envoy always registers at "E." I have talked to GMC and there is no help with this situation though there have been hundreds of complaints on the same thing. When I called customer service they were rude to me and didn't give me a customer complaint number. I am having to gage my gas by keeping track of the mileage through the trip-ometer. Thank you for any assistance you can give me on this issue.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Apr 152011

Envoy 6-cyl

Hello, I want to file a complaint about my 2006 GMC Envoy. I've recently been having issues with my fuel gauge, when I fill up my gauge says I'm empty and then slowly creeps back up to full, however, it then fluctuates between full and empty and never gives an accurate reading. I feel this can cause a huge issue for people if they don't know their gauge isn't accurate.

- St Paul , MN, USA

Nov 102010

Envoy 6-cyl

Well documented elsewhere--fuel gauge failure in GMC Envoy, vehicle out of warranty.

- Flushing, MI, USA

May 182011

Envoy 6-cyl

A couple months ago my gas gauge started to act up. It was not registering the amount of gas in my fuel tank. I have already been stranded due to no gas and I just don't want it to happen at a critical time and cause and accident! I have a 2006 GMC Envoy. This issue needs to be addressed and handled.

- Tequesta, FL, USA

Jul 012010

Envoy

Filled fuel tank until pump clicked off. As soon as I started vehicle, fuel gauge dropped to below E and light, buzzer sounded alerting me low fuel. Check engine light came on. Preparing to leave on vacation so I drove to local mechanic who advised me of the problems with several GM SUVS. He thought as long as I set my trip (so as not to run out of gas), I would be fine on trip. One year later, I still haven't gotten it fixed(hoped I could wait GM out), the problem is a bit worse in that the gauge jumps around and fuel empty buzzer goes on and off all the time.. very annoying. GM says not a safety issue so no recall "??" why does it have to be a safety issue. Check out the internet, , there are hundreds of complaints, and we all know that there would be thousands if everyone would report the problems. Why not track how many replacement parts have been sold rather than complaints. That should tell you something. I guess why recall as long as they can make money.

- Bellefontaine, OH, USA

Apr 042011

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

2006 GMC Envoy ran out of gas on a busy road going to work while the gas gauge read that there was gas in the vehicle.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Jan 202010

Envoy 6-cyl

Fuel gauge level does not work on 2006 GMC Envoy.

- Lucan, MN, USA

Oct 152008

Envoy

After filling up the gas tank in my 2006 GM Envoy, my fuel guage showed empty. The gas guage would bounce but now stuck on empty.

- Pataskala , OH, USA