2003 GMC Envoy XL electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 GMC Envoy XL:

2003 GMC Envoy XL Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 222015

Envoy XL

I was in a mva July 22, 2015 I was tboned on the drivers side and the went headon with a light pole and my airbags never deployed. I had many problems with the electrical in the truck since I purchased the truck. It was an as is with no warranty and I wasnt given any knowledge of problems or recalls. I suffered extensive injuries to my body and my truck was a total loss $10000 in damages to the vehicle.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 152015

Envoy XL

The fan blower for heat and air wouldn't cut off even with the key out of ignition. Also two coil packs went out within a month.

- Arlington, TN, USA

May 152014

Envoy XL

Mainly in wet weather, dashboard alerts chime and lights flash. Doesn't stop until weather is better. I'm afraid there is a short somewhere. Bought vehicle in December, 2013. Dealer won't help. I don't know what to do. Please advise. I can't find a recall regarding this. But have read several complaints and reviews with this same issue. I did not know about this when I bought it because it was winter at the time. Very frustrated and unhappy.

- Greenville, MI, USA

May 162014

Envoy XL 4WD 6-cyl

Truck shut off while driving.

- Laporte, IN, USA

Nov 232014

Envoy XL

I have a 2003 GMC Envoy XL and have problems with the ignition switch being lose and not shutting off all the way when the key is out and just the other morning I went to go to work and my car would not start due to the ignition being stuck in the on position after I had parked my car and took the key out, I am now afraid that while I am driving the ignition switch is going to be bumped into the off position and cause me to crash.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 072014

Envoy XL

Headlight switch overheated and caused circuit panel to catch on fire.

- Stroud , OK, USA

Dec 292013

Envoy XL 6-cyl

The speedometer, gas gauge, and oil pressure gauge first started fluctuating then eventually stopped working completely. The drivers door panel has completely went out. It smelt like something was burning but there wasn't a fire. I've had both situations checked out and the mechanic states this is very common in the Envoy and trailblazers but it is still at my expense.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Jun 132014

Envoy XL 4WD 8-cyl

TL- the contact owns a 2003 GMC Envoy XL. The contact stated that the drivers side door panel malfunctioned intermittently. The contact indicated that the front doors would not lock and the rear doors would only lock by using the key fob. The contact mentioned that the door locks, windows, power mirror adjuster and the heated seats failed to work intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the switch panel on the front drivers side needed to be replaced. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V248000 (electrical system and visibility). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000. Pam updated 08/12/14

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 202014

Envoy XL

My driver side locks and window controls have ceased to operate. Evidently fluid may enter the driver's door module, causing corrosion that could result in a short circuit in the door module which caused the power door lock and power window switches to become inoperative. My concern is that the short may also cause overheating, which could melt components of the door module, producing an odor, smoke, or a fire. I looked on the internet and there is a recall from GM and dealers will inspect the driver's door module, if it is functioning correctly, a protective coating will be applied. If the module is not functioning correctly, it will be replaced. The GM recall number is 12180. I called GM and they told me that although this exact problem is happening to my car is not covered. I am afraid that my car will catch on fire.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Nov 262013

Envoy XL

This is the second occurrence of an issue with the vehicles manual switch for 2hi, AWD,4hi,4low. The dealer I bought the used vehicle from fixed the issue right after purchase and I'm having another problem with the switch. I try to select anything besides 2hi and the selector will just continue to blink on the selection without any action. Sometimes the service 4WD will illuminate on the dash. This seems like a frequent occurrence/complaint of other Envoy owners online.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Jun 142011

Envoy XL 6-cyl

I got home one evening and when I turned the ignition key to shut the truck off the engine continued to run. I was concerned; as I could not leave the vehicle running all night; at that point I tried to engage the key again and the vehicle was still running. I became concerned and started to fiddle with the knobs and was surprised when after turning the highlight switch the engine shut off. The next morning I hestitately attempted to start the vehicle and when I was successful I headed straight to the GMC dealer. The dealer said that it was a wiring problem and the ignition wiring had to be redone; (the cost was $1600) I started a dialog with GM and they engaged me with several conversations; which led me to believe that they would pick up the cost; as electrical components were not part of any scheduled maintenance that I as a owner would be responsible for. When I made a request for reimbursement I was told that because of the mileage there was nothing they could (or would do). I could see if it were related to an oil change. Brakes, filters, etc. But as a owner this item is outside of my area of responsibility. GM should stand behind their products and make me and others whole. Ps.

- Roselle, NJ, USA

Feb 012008

Envoy XL

I was driving down the highway and all of my instrument panel gauges stopped working and the indicator lights came on for the entire system. This problem continues to happen and GMC will not fix this problem. They say I have too many miles and that my vehicle is not part of the recall. This now continues to happen and the whole electric system is in failure, I can't start the vehicle now and this is 2013. Chronic ongoing problem that poses major safety issues with speed, fuel and much more.

- Frederic , WI, USA

Oct 172012

Envoy XL 6-cyl

My GMC Envoy cluster ( speedometer ) is not working properly sometimes it moves and sometime it just sit on zero, even if going 65 miles an hour.. the exterior headlight shot off one night when I was driving home I can only drive with full light. My mechanic stated it was due to an electrical problems... GMC needs to do some recalls on some issue on this truck... I have red similar issue with other truck owner.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Feb 182013

Envoy XL

My GMC Envoy XL that is very well taken care of and all maintenance is always kept up to date just stopped charging (battery) over night. I was told the the battery cell was bad and I needed to replace the battery. I spent the money to replace the battery to only find out the instrument panel is draining my battery. I am very frustrated because this seems to be an ongoing issue, and the dealership is still having a hard time finding the exact issue with what component in the instrument panel that is draining my battery. I have been without my truck for a week now, and I can only imagine the bill for fix this issue. I am hoping the GMC recognizes this is a problem and helps individuals with some cost to help fix an issue than has been ongoing with there product.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Oct 222012

Envoy XL 8-cyl

My GM provided replacement battery (replaced at 80,000 miles three and 1/2 years ago) failed with another dead cell. The warning signs were random: A "security" warning light on the dashboard, the window safety lock became inoperable, windows wouldn't sometimes open or close, alternator wouldn't charge and the radio was locked, etc.. my golden retriever/dog could have been choked by the electric window control as she stands on the armrest with her head out the half open window. Instead, we were very lucky in that the window opened all of the way instead and she didn't fall out. This window control is the toggle type, pre the safety ones. The original equipment battery also failed with a dead cell.

- N Muskegon, MI, USA

Mar 152006

Envoy XL

It's seems crazy to me that this Agency that was created to protect consumers from faulty vehicles can let so many complaints against this manufacturer that was bailed out by taxpayers money can be so blind to the gross negligence on GMC part. I have spent count less hours and way too much money on this vehicle, only to find out that many other consumers are reporting the same problems. I have literally sat down and cried vowing never to by another american made car because they are pieces of junk (and that is putting it nicely). I have paid to replace the oxygen sensor and all that goes with that; the catalyst converter twice; the electrical system throughout the vehicle and now my radio doesn't work because there is a short that is draining the battery when the car is turned off; the speed control (mph/RPM) doesn't work and I only pray that I'm not speeding while I'm driving; the rear wiper blade works when it feels like it; my car interior constantly smells like gasoline and when I'm filling up my tank it there is always spillage; my ses light constantly stays on and since my state practices emission control I hold my breath and pray that I pass the test so I can legally drive my car. These are just some of the problems that I face with this car and frankly this year I'm not working so coming up with the money to pay again to have a mechanic remove the ses light so I can go have the emission testing performed is ridiculous and draining a wallet that is very much empty. My car now has more mileage & I haven't heard my radio in over 2 years because they don't know what is wrong so they just disconnected it. Why haven't the NHTSA/dot required GMC to fix what they know is broken and a hazard on the roads? I would strongly recommend that the NHTSA take this seriously before someone loses control and people lives are lost. Don't let this become another Toyota issue.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Jan 042010

Envoy XL 6-cyl

Speedometer started displaying incorrect mph. While driving between 55-60 mph, speedometer displayed 110mph and has continued to today. When vehicle is in park or even when vehicle is turned off, the speedometer needle shows 60mph. GMC has recalls for other makes, not ours. I googled this information, turns out thousands others are having the same problem. I contacted GM for assistance, was told my model was not covered under the recall and there was nothing to be done. The repair will cost $600-800. If this is a known issue, why isn't there an attempt to repair this problem. Please assist.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Sep 042009

Envoy XL 8-cyl

I purchased my 2003 GMC Envoy XL in 2008 from a NY dealer with 60,000 miles on it, the car didn't register any accidents with carfax. The day after I purchased the car my battery went dead and I was stranded at 7am with my kids. The dealer paid for the tow and replaced the battery. A year later while driving to my sons basketball game at night, the headlights completely shut off. I pulled over and used my hazards, my son inspected the lights and could smell something was burning..the driver side headlight wire was burnt badly. We replaced the light and the wiring. The next day not only did the lights shut off again while driving at night, but I couldn't put my window up! the driver side window panel did not work, but the other windows worked fine. I paid $400 to have the panel replaced. (now the seat adjustment panel is not working on the driver side) the battery has been replaced 3 times in 3 years! when ever I would use the window, or the heat vent, or the charger inlets in my car the headlights would flicker dim. My mechanic did a amps check while my phone was plugged in, car was running, radio on, and heater on and stated the amps were fine, until I hit the window button, then the amps went way down. Cost to replace alternator $350, that was in 2010, so far in 2011 I have awoken 3 mornings in a row to a dead car. I sat in the car with car off, doors locked one night to see what goes on over night..well the alarm sensor button didn't stop blinking red, the seat adjustments kept moving every 4 mins, the rearview mirrors were moving non stop, and the horrible beeping sound inside the car was non stop! the radio dash didn't shut off either, it was piping hot after a half hour of sitting.

- Kingston , NY, USA

May 182011

Envoy XL 4WD 6-cyl

Purchased a 2003 Envoy in November of 2010 at around 86000 miles in one month the instrument panel went out so no speedometer and affected the oil gauge. At exactly 100,000 miles the driver door panel went out could smell wires burning. Called dealer where purchased to trade in on vehicle in working order and he was able to find parts from junk yard to replace I was also informed the problems I had have become an epidemic for all GMC vehicles and people are spending a small fortune getting them repaired. Just want to advise anyone reading this to stop buying anything made my GMC because they do not stand behind their faulty products nor does the government make them.

- Gravois Mills, MO, USA

Jan 252011

Envoy XL 4WD 6-cyl

Erratic speedometer problems on my 2003 GMC Envoy XL. It has been acting up occasionally for several years, but now it sometimes will totally malfunction and either bottom out at zero, or register too high, it is just not working properly. I have done some research and found that this is a common issue for GMC vehicles of this time frame, and Envoy are one of the worst.

- Spring Creek, NV, USA