1.8

2003 GMC Envoy XL fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 GMC Envoy XL:

2003 GMC Envoy XL Owner Comments

Oct 272016

Envoy XL

The contact owns a 2003 GMC Envoy XL. While the vehicle was stationary, the engine warning indicator remained illuminated. It was diagnosed that the fuel tank fractured. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 155,000.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Oct 132015

Envoy XL

The fuel inlet seal on the top of the fuel tank had separated causing a smell of fuel and allowing matter to enter the fuel tank from the top...possibly causing the premature failing of the fuel pump. We understand GMC has extended the warranty on the vehicle for this issue to 150,000 miles. Our vehicle had over 155,000 miles when the problem occured but we never received notification from GMC of the extended warranty. Had we received this notification we would have taken in the vehicle for an immediate repair. The fuel pump failed and we had to purchase a new fuel tank (as a result of the faulty top seal) and fuel pump...costing us almost $1,700. We have a copy of the repair bill but I am unable to scan and upload it here at this time... I am in the military and will be moving to Korea in April, 2016

- Fort Stewart, GA, USA

Dec 052015

Envoy XL

I had been driving and pulled into a fast food restaurant and when I got out of my vehicle I noticed the smell of gasoline being close to a gas station I thought nothing of it when getting back in my vehicle after retrieving my food I now smelled the gasoline inside my vehicle still thought nothing that maybe the fumes were just lingering until the next day when the smell was stronger so strong that my child with asthma immediately had to get out of the vehicle so being cautious as anyone I had my husband take a look he smelled the gasoline but couldn't find a leak so he took it to our local mechanic who then diagnosed the problem and removed the tank and replaced it with a used tank and whatever part was needed to fix the issue so since then I have not smelled anymore gasoline but my check engine light refuses to go off not to mention I receive a letter in the mail stating that there was some sort of recall on my exact year and make of vehicle and that I could send in a claim to get back the $500 I put into fixing the vehicle thinking it was now safe for my family so I paid to fix the problem only my new tank is used so I'm guessing I'll be having this issue again at some point which is very scary considering I drive my children in this vehicle plus I'm out the $500 still have the same issue which I cannot afford to fix again should the problem arise and I didn't keep the receipt from my mechanic thinking problem solved I put it aside it threw it away so I'm just curious is there anything I can do because knowing the tanks have issues and I've just paid $500 for another recalled tank pretty much so I'm at a point where I have no option but to take a loss on the money I paid to fix the vehicle before I knew about the recall not to mention I've had to replace the tie rods twice and it's popping again when I make turns I love this vehicle but now I'm super nervous of

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 232015

Envoy XL

My car will shut off when I am either turning or slowing down without any warning, I put the car in neutral, turn the key off then on again and it starts like nothing happened. The engine doesn't show any warning lights it just shuts off. This has happened now about 6 times. I don't have the money to take it to the dealer, but if I am given an idea of what to look for I can take it to my mechanic who is very qualified and did replace a sensor that went bad. Please help

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Jun 252014

Envoy XL

Mechanic said fuel rail ruptured due to a faulty fuel pressure regulator and leaked gasoline in engine compartment that could have caused a fire injuring occupants. Repairs cost 1400dollars

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 042013

Envoy XL 6-cyl

I own an Envoy XL and notice a gas smell everytime I fill up it last about a week or, until im low on gas so I did some searching on the internet and notice a lot of Envoy have the same problem the weld around the fuel tank neck has come completely off so fuel is leaking and is a fire hazard. Can anyone tell me why this is not a recall if so many SUV's having the same problem.

- Hammond, LA, USA

Mar 152006

Envoy XL

It's seems crazy to me that this Agency that was created to protect consumers from faulty vehicles can let so many complaints against this manufacturer that was bailed out by taxpayers money can be so blind to the gross negligence on GMC part. I have spent count less hours and way too much money on this vehicle, only to find out that many other consumers are reporting the same problems. I have literally sat down and cried vowing never to by another american made car because they are pieces of junk (and that is putting it nicely). I have paid to replace the oxygen sensor and all that goes with that; the catalyst converter twice; the electrical system throughout the vehicle and now my radio doesn't work because there is a short that is draining the battery when the car is turned off; the speed control (mph/RPM) doesn't work and I only pray that I'm not speeding while I'm driving; the rear wiper blade works when it feels like it; my car interior constantly smells like gasoline and when I'm filling up my tank it there is always spillage; my ses light constantly stays on and since my state practices emission control I hold my breath and pray that I pass the test so I can legally drive my car. These are just some of the problems that I face with this car and frankly this year I'm not working so coming up with the money to pay again to have a mechanic remove the ses light so I can go have the emission testing performed is ridiculous and draining a wallet that is very much empty. My car now has more mileage & I haven't heard my radio in over 2 years because they don't know what is wrong so they just disconnected it. Why haven't the NHTSA/dot required GMC to fix what they know is broken and a hazard on the roads? I would strongly recommend that the NHTSA take this seriously before someone loses control and people lives are lost. Don't let this become another Toyota issue.

- Snellville, GA, USA