2004 GMC Envoy XL drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Envoy XL:

2004 GMC Envoy XL Owner Comments

Mar 202015

Envoy XL 4WD 6-cyl

As I was driving in cruise control speed off 55 mph vehicle begin to make a dragging sound. After stopping and placing vehicle into park and then putting gear back into drive vehicle began to go into reverse mode. I then tried every other gear 1,2,3 drive the vehicle continued to still go into reverse. The car still turns on without a problem but will not move forward when in drive.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Oct 252014

Envoy XL

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Envoy XL. The contact stated that the front driver side module failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,200.

- Manchester , NH, USA

Sep 102013

Envoy XL

Upon shifting tranny into park gear vhecile continued to roll forward or backward note : upon pushing in shifter relaese button shifter engaed in park gear however indicator displayed drive internal failure cable broken and emergency brake did not work so I had my neigbor put bricks behind the rear wheels all the while the car shut itself off and the steering wheel locked

- Brentwood, NY, USA

Sep 102013

Envoy XL 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Envoy XL. The contact stated that after entering the driveway, she shifted into park but the gear selector indicated that the vehicle was still in drive. The vehicle then rolled away. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who stated that the gear cable had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 132,193. Updated 11/19/13 the consumer stated upon shifting the gear into park, the vehicle continued to roll forward. Once the consumer pushed the shifter release, an indicator displayed internal failure cable broken.

- Brentwood, NY, USA

Jun 262013

Envoy XL 8-cyl

I was driving back home and parked in my driveway put the vehicle in parked and when I released the brake peddle the vehicle jump and took off in reverse. I missed hitting my wife by inches. I then stopped the vehicle and turned it off. Then I tried to restart the vehicle and it would not start. I tired to push the button on the shifter. I then though there was something wrong with the transmission. I then when to the internet and search what would cause the problem. Finding it was something to do with the lockout devise. I then checked inspected the transmission and found the cable that come from the shifter to the transmission was of and the bushing the was suppose to hold the cable end on the transmission bracket was defective and made my vehicle very dangerous almost hitting my wife. If it had happened in a parking lot I could have hit someone or the vehicle behind me. Contacted gmac no knowledge of the safety problem I have described.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Dec 292011

Envoy XL 6-cyl

On Thursday 12/27/2011 on my way to work pulled into hess gas station put my truck in park look up and I was rolling back... look at the gear shift and it was in park but on my dashboard the truck was in 1st gear tried to pull it out of park by the hand gear and it kept rolling back and forth then it finally lock up in park but still on the dashboard it said it was in 1st gear unable to change gears, had to have my truck towed to where I purchased it from autoline in jacksonville fla. Found out the shifter cable pop in half had to have it replaced purchased the shifter cable and shifter assembly costing just for the parts over $200 at $292 labor I only had the truck 3 months and since they claim it was wear and tear it was not covered under my extended warranty I purchased. This was a very scary morning glad I was not driving it and pulled over to purchase gas that morning. What I don't understand is why is this considered wear and tear.....

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 012009

Envoy XL

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Envoy. The speedometer read 35 mph while driving at 70 mph. The vehicle was taken to a local garage. Diagnostic testing located failure at the transmission shifter cable, which was replaced.other unknown parts were also replaced.the instrumental control panel sensor was replaced, but the failure was not corrected, the transmission failed again. The manufacturer took a report, but they would not assist with the repair. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 93,000.

- Phoenix City , AL, USA

Oct 032008

Envoy XL

I traded my 2005 Ford Focus 26410 miles to wade raulerson GMC on October 3, 2007 wrote two checks in the amount of $500 each that they held for four weeks for a down payment. We looked at a 2004 GMC Envoy with 65,000 miles the salesman quoted us a price of 17,000 so we did the paper work the first time on the 16th we were called in again and told we had to sign more documents this time the price of the Envoy rose to $21698.35, I asked about my 05 Focus was told it sold the next day and we had to have gap protection. Payoff on my car was $12,502.95 and it looked as if they were giving me $14900 but raised the price of the truck by $4000. Bad deal to begin with. The problems began. I had to return it at the end of the month in October 2007 to have the headlights, seatbelt, and motor in the window replaced, and diagnosed to find why the service engine light will not go out. Two weeks later stranded at the daycare I had to buy a new battery. On 05/05/2008 the conditioner went out. I paid the dealership over $100 to tell me it would be an additional $600 plus dollars to repair the mode actuator door motor. October 17, 2008 I spent $375.02 to have both the shift control cable and gear shift lever removed and replaced. Thank god I was actually on a parking lot when the cable broke and not in traffic. Contacting wade raulerson GMC has been useless I have practically been told you bought the "lemon" as-is now it's your troubles! there should be a law against this type of business and not just for new cars. Now no-one will touch it because of the problems it is having and the large amount that's now owed. Every time the VIN is pulled I get pushed out of the door faster than I can blink. Btw the service engine light is still on and has been since I left the dealership. I?M tired of honest hard-working people being raked over the coals by unscrupulous dealers while they get protected by the "as-is" rule then laugh all the way to the bank.

- Gainesville, FL, USA