2005 GMC Sierra 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 GMC Sierra 1500:

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 032009

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Wiring harness between fan switch and fan motor get very hot at the connection and melts the connection.

- Delbarton, WV, USA

Feb 102010

Sierra 1500

Speedometer works occasionally, unknown speed traveling.

- Somerset, MA, USA

Jan 042010

Sierra 1500

We own a 2005 GMC Sierra and the speedometer has gone out. Was informed it is an internal gauge cluster that has gone out and it will take $400-$600 to fix it. I have researched online and this has been a problem with trucks since at least 2007. There should be a recall on this and the customers should not have to pay for this to be fixed. GMC refuses to do a recall and says that there is nothing they can do.

- Beebe, AR, USA

Dec 012009

Sierra 1500

My speedometer failed in Dec of 2009 on my GMC Sierra pickup. In the cold it always registers 0 mph and will start to work after an hour on the road.

- Crawford, CO, USA

Jan 012010

Sierra 1500

Speedometer has suddenly stopped working on my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500. I have learned there is a recall for model years 2003-2004. Seems like the problem may extend to further years.

- Lake Jackson, TX, USA

Jan 062010

Sierra 1500

The speedometer and fuel gauge on my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab are erratic and occasionally non operative. Speedo reads 120 mph at times when the vehicle is stopped. Sometimes does not read at all, stays at zero when doing freeway speeds. Fuel gauge reads empty when 1/4 tank, then after a restart will show proper(?) level.

- Norco, CA, USA

Jan 042010

Sierra 1500

05 GMC Sierra speedometer erratic at first,15,000 ml.,now at 62,000 ml. Doesn't work. I was going 50 at a stop sign. I have my own business and pull trailers w/ equipment and the right speed is critical for the towing weights. The law enforcement agencies will never take a faulty speedometer as a reason for going over the speed limit. Interstate driving is at a minimum because going with the flow will mean over heating of the small trailer tires on the tilt bed trailer. No action yet it just quit today,1-4-2010, and I am filing this complaint to add to the numbers of others that have already filed.

- Oglethorpe, GA, USA

Oct 082009

Sierra 1500

Speedometer sticks and doesn't return to 0 and continues to rise every time the vehicle accelerates until the speedometer is pegged out and then it sticks there.

- Ludowici, GA, USA

Oct 122009

Sierra 1500

The speedometer of my GMC Sierra 1500 is erratic when it is wet outside. When the vehicle is parked and the ignition key is in my pocket the speedometer reads anywhere from 40 to 50 mph. While driving the speedometer indicates up to 120 mph. How many people have to complain about this safety concern before something is done. A search of your database indicates many complaints. Help.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Jul 182009

Sierra 1500

The connector that plugs into the blower motor under the glove box became too hot and melted the plastic resulting in the A/C and heat not to work (this includes the windshield defroster). I've been looking up problems and solutions and found that this is a recurring problem with GMC and Chevy trucks yet there has not been any recall, in fact the dealerships have an extremely overpriced kit to fix their faulty wiring. About 66,000 mi.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jun 012009

Sierra 1500

GMC Sierra 2005 speedemoter bad, cannot tell what speed I'am going. 37.000 miles on truck...

- Bloomington, CA, USA

Nov 232008

Sierra 1500

Speedometer stopped working at 20000 miles. It was working fine then started to work only occasionally and has now completely stopped working. We have not had it repaired as of yet. It is very unsafe to drive not knowing what speed you are traveling at, plus can result in traffic violations causing your insurance to increase.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 202009

Sierra 1500

I'm currently at 84,000 miles on my 2005 GMC Sierra, and when stopped with the truck in park my speedometer is showing 90mph then proceeds up from there while driving. I think there's something that needs to be done. I have several friends with the same year model vehicles manufactured by GM. All have the same problems. Talked to a dealer about getting it fixed they told me it was going to cost 300 for the part, and 200 dollars to have it programmed....

- Westmoreland, TN, USA

Jul 162008

Sierra 1500

I own a 2005 GMC Sierra and the speedometer has failed. I own a gps so I use this to help determine the speed I am traveling. I brought my vehicle into the dealer on several occasions and contacted GM and they stated they could not help me that I would have to pay $380 to get it repaired. Two days after bringing into my local dealer I received a letter in the mail stating there was a class action lawsuit against GM for defective speedometers on certain makes and models.

- Houma, LA, USA

Jul 192008

Sierra 1500

I was driving my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 truck and the cab filled with smoke the a small fire developed on the wire bundle that connects to the fan blower under the dash passenger side. I had to pull over and pry the burnt connector off of the resistor / blower hook up. The fuse did not work and the connector continued to burn until I shut off the truck and remove the connector. I plan to take the truck into skillman GMC since a fuse did not blow prior to the burning of the wiring. Also I did a brief search and found others had similar issues with either the GMC Sierra and the Chevy Silverado truck.

- Beech Grove, IN, USA

Jan 042007

Sierra 1500 4WD

2005 GMC Sierra - if the vehicle sits for 3-4 days without being driven, the battery goes dead. Nothing has been left on.

- Utica, NY, USA

Jun 052006

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Electrical system, all my truck lights dim very low when I roll the windows up or down when driving, when I hit the brakes all lights dim and vot. Drops we have taken it in to the shop a lot for this and still no fix. Service engine light stays on and my temperature gauge doesn't work I took it in and they said this problem is only in Alaska and there is no fix. Front diff has been a problem since the day we picked it up the have fixed different things on it.

- Northpole, AK, USA