2006 GMC Sierra 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 GMC Sierra 1500:

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 292016

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500. While driving at a very slow speed, the brake pedal depressed and failed to operate. The contact was unaware if the emergency brake was depressed; however, there was no crash. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake line was rusted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Partlow, VA, USA

Aug 152016

Sierra 1500

1.rusted brake lines blowout.fortunately mine happened in a parking lot, not on the turnpike, and requiring an emergency stop. 2.clutch master cylinder plastic mounting flange separates when clutch is depressed, disabeling std.transmission.on residential street.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Dec 082015

Sierra 1500

ABS activation at low speeds resulting in increase stopping distance. It resulted almost striking a pedestrian in a crosswalk. This had previously been repaired at my own cost in 2011 and the problem has again returned. Previously GMC Sierra were recalled with the same problem. Recall number: 05V379000 recall date: 08/29/2005 component: Service brakes, hydraulic:antilock problem summary: Certain pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles may experience unwanted antilock brake system (ABS) activation. Consequence: This can cause increased stopping distances during low-speed brake applications, which could result in a crash.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Sep 252014

Sierra 1500

Approaching red light signal applied brakes. Driver rear brake line ruptured due to rust through. Was able to safely stop vehicle as my speed was only about 20 mph. If this were at highway speeds it would have been extremely dangerous. Fyi there is also extensive frame and body surface rust that the manufacturer refused to help with. This vehicle is mostly parked outside in the mid atlantic regions. Gets very little use so low mileage. The rust is from a manufacturing issue not an environmental issue.

- Bear, DE, USA

Sep 042015

Sierra 1500

Pulling out of driveway and brakes gave out.. stepped on the brakes and truck did not stop. A rusty brake line was leaking. It it had a split in it. Do to rust anand corrosion. This same thing has happened to my father's 03 Silverado a few years back. Why has this been an issue with no recall. I had a Kia spectra for 15 years and never had problems with rusty brake lines leaking... it's a truck they should be built to last.. smh not happy..

- Bridgeton, NJ, USA

Aug 052015

Sierra 1500

Right front brake line ruptured when applying brakes in a parking lot. Brake fluid started to leak out from the line that crosses from the driver's side to the passenger's side of the vehicle. It appears the rupture was due to corrosion of the original lines.

- Wilson, NY, USA

Aug 022015

Sierra 1500 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500. While approaching a traffic light at an unknown speed, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000. MA 10/1 the consumer stated the manufacture did not offer any assistance, stating the failure is a maintenance issue due to road salt and not a safety issue. Updated 12/28/2015

- Bethel Park , PA, USA

Apr 122015

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Corroded brake lines. No incident as of yet. Serious safety concern because of the quality of the brake lines. Could lead to brake system failure resulting in uncontrollable vehicle. Will need to be replaced/remediated at significant expense.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Feb 132015

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I had just replaced the third set of wheel bearings, asked my wife to hold brake so that I could torque axel nut. When she pushed the brake pedal, I seen brake fluid pouring down the frame of truck. Checked lines all were rusted very bad. Called matheny motors of parkersburg wv. The cost of replacement of lines was quoted at over $1200 I can not express enough how upset I am that this safety item was not made of stainless steel on a vehicle that was at the cost of almost $40,000.

- Walker, WV, USA

Feb 092015

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Brake lines rusting out needed immediate replacement in Virginia where little salt is used.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Sep 042014

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Anti-lock brakes activate for no reason at slow speeds

- Brillion, WI, USA

Dec 292014

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

My 2006 GMC has only 29,000 miles on it. I bought the truck in October 2009 with 16,000 miles. I keep the truck clean inside and out, top to bottom including under the vehicle. People comment to me all the time on how nice the truck looks. Brake line let go in yard. Pedal went to the floor, no brakes had to hit reverse then neutral and the emergency brake. I had just returned home from going up town. Thank god it happened where it did. I have been driving 40 years and only replaced one brake line in a 11 year old Ford truck and that was just a section near a bend. This truck needs to have all the lines replaced. I just replaced all the transmission lines 4 months ago for $800. Same thing, all rusted. I lived in Massachusetts my whole life and I do my best to keep the salt off the truck. Last time I ever seen rust issues this bad was in the 1970S when cars would start rusting out after 3 years because of the reused steel that came from overseas.

- Franklin, MA, USA

Jun 022014

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Since roughly June of 2014 complete vehicle shakes violently when brakes are applied. I have had it looked at and have been told that it is the brake lines ABS and needs replacement. I am a single father of two boys struggling financially and cannot afford new brake lines. I also have a current situation where the rear bumper is completely rotted through and as a result cannot pass state vehicle inspection I have searched for 2 months and cannot find a used rear bumper and manufacturer cost is $450-$500 which I cannot afford at the moment. I have always had a GMC pickup and am very dissatisfied with my present situation as I have only put 25,000 miles on the vehicle since purchased.

- South Thomaston, ME, USA

Oct 192012

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Hydraulic brake line rust out results in loss of stopping ability. The "blow out" occurred while the vehicle was stopped (I was very lucky!). upon inspection, several of the hydraulic lines were rusted badly. I felt that I had to replace them all (with stainless steel lines) to prevent another failure which could have dire consequences. The cost of the replacement stainless steel hydraulic lines was over $300. I performed the replacement of these lines myself. It cost me an additional $180 to get the complete ABS braking system bled out.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Nov 162014

Sierra 1500

I wake up early on Sunday, on 11/16/15 and took a company truck a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500, to bring some cargo. On my way back home on 836 West expressway, I took my exit and when press the brake pedal to reduce speed, the pedal went to the floor of the car and the brake action was minimum to nothing. Another vehicle was stop at the traffic light, and to avoid the obvious impact to the stopped car, I pumped the brakes several times and applied the parking brakes at approx. 30 mph. Seeing no way to avoid the collision, I pull the car to the side of the road and hit a concrete water drain, resulting in abruptly sopping of my car and my knee hit the lower dashboard. The guy of the other car went out and ask me, are you "drunk" "are you ok" I called a flatbed and bring my truck to my work place and then notice that a brake line was broke and most of the brake fluid spilled all over the front of the chassis, under the radiator. The brake line was incredible rusted, reason for the brake down, I had cars with a lot more years with no problem with brake lines. When I inspect the other brake lines deeply, noticed that an excessive corrosion was in all of them. GMC should do something about this, safety issue, is no reason for a 2006, only 8 years vehicle, present that level of corrosion on brake lines. "coke can thickness apparently". somebody will die or seriously injure, or will kill somebody, pedestrian or driver because the sudden brake failure in a case like this. I will bring the vehicle to a garage to replace the broken line and probably all of them.. its ridiculous, and very dangerous that this things happens in a vehicle that age. I really appreciate to bring this case to the proper attention of the manufacturer in order to avoid more incidents like mine.I consider myself very lucky, .could not be writing this if this happens to me at a high speed. Thanks.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 032014

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that there was an unknown substance leaking from the vehicle. In addition, the brake lines were rusted and had holes causing it to potentially fracture. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the brake lines needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Additionally, the contact stated that there was a loud noise coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 12/10/14 updated 9/29/2015

- Pilot Mountain, NC, USA

May 252014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Truck started to have brake pedal pulsing as you come to a stop. Problem lead to increased stopping distance at slow speed. Dealer knows of problem, but said my truck was not covered under recall.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Aug 222014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Just did a 4 wheelbrakejob;pads and rotors for thefront, shoes for the rear! had to replace one rear wheel brake cylinder. Started to bleed system, rear brakeline burst, was rusted real bad, replaced the affected line then front line burst and that was rusted real bad also. In checking things over discovered they are all very rusty, afraid if I don't replace them all will have to shortly because they are all in same condition. Note;had to replace transmission lines last year due to corrosion and rust!!!!

- Northfield, NH, USA

Mar 152014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

I had towed my boat on the interstate for 2 hours to a lake. Upon reaching the destination I was attempting to launch the boat at the boat ramp. While I was backing my boat trailer into the water I was using the brakes to ease down the ramp. Two family members were in the boat to back it off the trailer once in the water. The pedal suddenly went completely to the floor, I stepped on the emergency brake to stop the truck from rolling into the water. I got out and saw a large puddle of brake fluid under the truck on the drivers side just behind the front wheel area. I got in the truck to see if the brakes could be applied again but went completely to the floor. In order to get the truck, trailer and boat off the ramp I had to put the truck in drive, quickly release the emergency brake and apply the gas to prevent truck from rolling backwards. Upon looking under the hood I found the brake line was rusted in a clip and had ruptured where the left front wheel brake line was retained in a clip on the drivers side frame just next to the steering column. Since it was early enough I was able to get the truck towed to a local mechanic to get the ruptured line replaced. On 5/29/2014 while moving the truck in the driveway the brake line for the right front wheel has now ruptured, upon inspection the rupture is in the exact same location where the brake line is retained in the clip attached to the frame on the front drivers side next to the steering column. At this point I can only assume I will need to replace all the brake lines on the vehicle. If this had happened on the interstate or had to make an emergency stop during the initial incident I would have likely hit someone, lost my boat and injured or killed myself or family members. Brake lines should not rust like this in fl and the loss of one brake line should not eliminate your entire braking system to all four wheels.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Apr 242014

Sierra 1500

Brake line ruptured due to corrosion. I was leaving a hess station in Massachusetts after filling up and when I stepped on the brake before pulling out into traffic the pedal depressed all the way to the floor. I immediately engaged the emergency brake and put the truck into reverse to park the vehicle and investigate the problem. I found a large brake fluid leak under the hood near the base of the steering column where the hard brake line clips to the truck frame. There was a significant amount of corrosion on the brake line. All four (4) brake lines are currently being replaced at the dealership where I bought the vehicle for a cost of ~$2400.

- Warwick, RI, USA