2008 GMC Sierra 1500 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Sierra 1500:

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 222016

Sierra 1500

The check airbag message was displayed when vehicle was in motion, took vehicle to mechanic where he diagnosed and replaced corroded front impact sensor. 2 years later and the same thing happened but now I had to replace both front airbag sensors. Vehicle currently has 106,000 miles.

- Forked River, NJ, USA

May 102016

Sierra 1500

Engine light service air bag-front end crash sensor diver side -replace front end crash sensor May 10th 2016. July 7th 2016 engine light service air came on again going in for service July 8th again for same issue. Vehicle stationary in May 10th 2016, moving July 7th 2016

- Mansfield, MA, USA

May 302016

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. While the vehicle was being cleaned, the passenger side air bag deployed. Prior to the failure, the seat belt and air bag warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Hampden, MA, USA

Aug 152012

Sierra 1500

The dash on both sides of the speaker has cracked through to the air-bag on the passenger side and through several inches of the instrument cluster dash cover on the drivers side. This has progressively gotten worse until the whole assembly vibrates worsening the crack until it appears that if the air bag deployed, pieces of the dash material could disintegrate and injure someone. I've been watching this for about 4 years. This is a product defect and should be covered by the manufacturer.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 012016

Sierra 1500

I bought a 2008 GMC Sierra in February 2016 and upon taking ownership, noticed two cracks in the dash. One is behind the instrument cluster and the other on the left-hand corner of the airbag. The cracked dash pieces could become shrapnel in the event of an airbag deployment. This dash issue is a common and known issue and GM refuses to do a recall.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jul 312015

Sierra 1500

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V324000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Marshall, MI, USA

Apr 262016

Sierra 1500

My service man was pulling out of parking lot at store when air bags exploded and seat belts locked. He did not hit anything and was only going about 10 mph when this happened. Took to local dealer to see if they could fix it. They said yes, but we would have to pay for it. We could contact the manufacturer if necessary. The bill was $1413.89. (parts $798--labor $562.59 tax 48.19). We had to get it fixed as it is illegal to be on the road without seat belts (or air bags). We feel these are defective parts an D we should be reimbursed by the manufacturer.. this is an unsafe vehichle!!!! thanks

- Henderson, KY, USA

Jul 092014

Sierra 1500

Dashboard is cracked at passenger airbag. Potential shrapnel if airbag activates.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 152015

Sierra 1500

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V324000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Camp Berde, AZ, USA

Mar 022016

Sierra 1500

Cracks in dash above the airbag and instrument cluster. This is a problem GM is ignoring.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 142016

Sierra 1500

Dash pad cracks in both upper corners around passenger side airbag, truck was parked, noticed cracks in morning

- Rockford, IL, USA

Mar 112016

Sierra 1500

Service airbag light comes on and gos off dealer said some 2008 S were covered but not mine yet dealer is GM superstore cooks in vassal mi 1 year ago I fought with them for power steering they would not do month after that recall was issued they did not contact me I had to research it and year later contact them also round year ago I had to contact them for recall on ignition with recent problem air bag service light all they want to do is charge me 90 dollars to diagnose it seems like with their mishandling of other two recalls least they could do is spend 5 minutes to diagnose airbag light seems like the HHR. Has had many serious safety recalls and GM should take all airbag problems more serious I still owe 3 grand on this car and it's about to become large lemon paperweight please help my phone number is 989 295 3228 or 989 571 0290 daniel meeker

- Reese, MI, USA

Jun 152010

Sierra 1500

Bought the truck new in 2008.after a year to 1 1/2 developed crack in dash in corner by airbag. Had dash replaced under warranty. Dash cracked again within 1 1/2 was out of warranty then and they wanted me to pay a percentage. I refused to pay for there defect

- Tahlequah, OK, USA

Sep 032015

Sierra 1500

At approximately 48,000 miles driving on a paved road, my dash on the passenger side where the air bag is located, cracked. The crack continues to increase in size. I would think it would effect operation of air bag. With as many complaints that are posted to this, I cannot believe its not under investigation.

- Chiefland, FL, USA

Aug 202015

Sierra 1500

Had a co-worker with a 2008 that told me about his dashboard crack adjacent to the air-bag compartment. My vehicle has only 22,000 miles and has been garage housed the entire time. I'm afraid that if the air-bag deployed, with the crack in the corner, there could be severe damage to the passenger.

- Dickinson, TX, USA

Jun 102015

Sierra 1500

Service airbag light came on and when I went to the dealer I told it is a bad sensor that needs to be replaced, I asked the dealer if this comman they said no but there seems to be alot of compliats on the web

- Mystic, CT, USA

Jul 122014

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated while attempting to accelerate from a complete stop, another vehicle crashed into the vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. The front driver's side seat belt buckle released independently. A police report was filed. The contact sustained a broken rib and an injury to the shoulder. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and repaired for the exterior damages. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,300.

- Independence, MO, USA

Mar 032014

Sierra 1500

My 2008 GMC 1500 Sierra "service air bag" light came on when I started my truck a few weeks ago. Finally was at the dealer, romeo GMC in kingston, NY. They ran diagnostics testing and advised me that my front air bag sensor sensor was bad and it cost me $469 to replace it! the service guy said 'they are in a bad place and get damaged from the weather etc and they just go like that!' really" that's ok for a safety design? also, how can this small sensor cost so much?? is it just dealership gouging parts prices? I am seeing online that I could have bought an after market product and replaced it myself- a 10mm bolt holds it on! was I just robbed" maybe I can return it ad drive without the air bag!

- Boiceville , NY, USA

Jun 262012

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

I purchased a 2008 GMC Sierra pickup in 2012 from george gee automotive in Liberty lake wa. I experienced the first air bag service light shortly after the purchase. I informed the dealer george gee about this and was completely ignored. I then took the vehicle to parkway automotive in deer park wa.. parkway never really figured out why the air bags had the error but after trying a few things the error light went off and stayed off until March 26th 2014 when it came back on. At first it was on occasionally for a few days. Now it is on steady all of the time. I took the vehicle back to parkway today 03/31/2014 and was told it is a module issue and my air bags are disabled because of it. Parkway is not a GM dealer they are not able to repair it. I have read multiple complaints about this same air bag issue in GM products and feel this is a very serious safety issue that GM should be responsible for fixing.

- Chattaroy , WA, USA

Mar 202013

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Dash is cracking in multiple locations. My truck is hardly in the sun and I always use a sun shade in the windshield. There are several cracks around the dash and I am worried this will have an impact on the air bag systems. This is unacceptable from GMC.

- Gold Canyon, AZ, USA