2009 GMC Sierra 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Sierra 1500:

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Mar 172014

Sierra 1500

I'm having electrical/computer problems that started over a year ago and continue to increase. First, my speakers go off and on as they please. The driver side door speaker is the only one that stays on consistently, and it has nothing to do with hitting bumps or anything else. Second, my power looks have gone out. My key fob will still work them and they still lock and unlock when truck is moved between park and drive. But the buttons on the door do not work. I've replaced all the fuses, and still, nothing. Third, my cruise control is going out. On a long drive I used it for half and then the other half it wouldn't even try to come back on. A few days later it worked again.

- Altus, OK, USA

Jan 092014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

I purchased 2 rugged ridge front floor mats for my 2009 GMC extended cab 1500 Sierra on 11/15/13. Last week on 1/9/14, I was accelerating to get on the interstate at full throttle. The accelerator stuck down at full throttle after I lightened peddle pressure to slow down. At first I hit the brakes but couldn't slow the vehicle. I then turned the ignition key to disengage the ignition. The truck began to slow. I turned the ignition back on and the truck was still at full throttle and I nearly rear ended the vehicle in front of me. I then pulled the floor mat back with my heel and the accelerator released.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Dec 302011

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact was attempting a right turn at low speeds when the vehicle resisted accelerating beyond 5 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they advised him that the throttle positioning sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was later contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 44,000.

- Tomers Township, MI, USA

Nov 142010

Sierra 1500

Throttle body unit on 2009 GMC Sierra truck burned out & needed replacing at 38 thousand miles. GMC paid for my repair after many conversations with them, even tho they stated it was out of warranty. I put the money out to have it fixed, they are reimbursing me via check to my home address. My co-worker had the same thing happen to him about 2 weeks ago, his throttle body unit burned out on his Chevy Silverado, his is out of warranty as well, his truck is only 3 years old. He was told when he went to get his repaired the part was on a national back order. This sounds like these are going bad all over!!!

- Belcamp, MD, USA

Jan 032010

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated when turning the key to off and removing it from the ignition, the engine would remain on. When braking to a stop, the vehicle would lunge forward and sporadically accelerate. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 21,000.

- Defuniak, FL, USA

Dec 122009

Sierra 1500

On 2-28-09 purchased a new vehicle a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 2 wd ext. Cab truck in early December 2009. Noticed on 4 occasions the gas pedal sticking and not allowing the driver to stop on more than one occasion. Witnesses were in the truck. Took the truck to the dealership and they stated after 2 days that they could not find anything wrong with truck. "just drive the truck" on December 11 the 2009 struck a telephone pole breaking the pole and the air bags did not deploy neither did on star respond. Due to this accident I has sustained neck injury, and neither gmac or the dealership will respond to the concerns about the air bags not deploying from a front end collision over 40 miles an hour doing $5000 worth of damage to the truck or even looking at the gas pedal sticking. Due to this the driver does not fell safe driving this truck or putting his family in truck.

- Kevil, KY, USA

Aug 182009

Sierra 1500

Vertical plastic cover next to accelerator pedal. There is a vertical plastic cover of some type, on the right side of the accelerator pedal that the right side of the sole of my dress shoes gets caught on, delaying my foot from reaching and applying the brake pedal. These valuable milliseconds is going cause someone out there to get killed or seriously maimed.

- Dayton, OH, USA