2009 GMC Sierra 1500 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Sierra 1500:

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Sep 062016

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V381000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

2009 GMC Sierra. Consumer writes in regards to no available remedy to repair front passenger airbag inflator recall notice.

- Copperas Cove, TX, USA

Aug 012016

Sierra 1500

Dash board crack(s) found in many 2007-2013 GM trucks/SUVS may cause injury in the event of an airbag deployment. These cracks can turn into projectiles causing injury to passengers.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 102011

Sierra 1500

Continued and obviously a very common and potentialy dangerous dash cracking like the majority of many 08, 09,10 vehicles that are cracking and disinigrating right by front passenger air bag that can cause plastic fragments upon air bag deployment to be blown uncontrollably potentially at ft passenger's causing injury or death. The dash also has continued cracking where all other dashes are cracking as well which is right behind the steering wheel guage cluster for no appear to reason. This causes excessive rattling and continted cracking. Not only is this a huge saftey hazard, it is flat out factory defective materials that were used in the making of the dashes on these model trucks. Never in my life have I experienced such poor and shoddy workmanship on any GMC or Chevrolet product. Their needs to be a dash recall before someone is potentially fatally injured. Their have been ample complaints as to this condition without any recall. So it would seem as if the NHTSA deems this dangerous situation acceptabe if your not forcing the mfg to recall this defective item. Never have there been dash cracking by air bags considered normal nor acceptable. Vehicle was stationary at the time I noticed the dash cracking apart. Totally unacceptable and the NHTSA needs to do something to fix this issuemail on millions of affected vehicles.

- Bham, AL, USA

Apr 012015

Sierra 1500

Severe dash cracking of dashboard around front passenger air bag raises great concerns of plastic fragments injuring front occupants if air bag is deployed. Additional cracking apart of dash parts directly in front of driver above guage cluster that clearly is a mfg defect that is been found a common dangerous issue that should be recalled and fixed.

- Bham, AL, USA

Feb 012016

Sierra 1500

Air bag light came on and service air bag came on will not go off dealer said passenger presence sensor feedback and performance.

- Shady Spring, WV, USA

Apr 212014

Sierra 1500

There is a crack in my truck's dashboard on the passenger side, right next to the airbag section.the dashboard cracked on its own, as it was never subjected to any kind of an impact or force. My reasonable doubt is that it cracked due to being made of low quality material. I took the truck to my local GMC dealership, same place where I always take my truck for anything concerning my truck. When I brought my truck and showed a service dept. Employee, I was told that neither my regular, nor my extended vehicle warranty covered the damage, and if I wanted it replaced I would need to pay ~$250!!! I was stunned and appalled that I would need to pay to replace something that was clearly a low quality product, something I already paid for when I bought the truck brand new. I will never go back to that dealership, or another GMC dealership as a matter of fact, ever again, just out of spite. I feel cheated and conned, as not only did the GMC not want to replace the dashboard, it was not even covered under the extended warranty I purchased when I got the vehicle brand new. I suspect GMC knew about this issue so they intentionally did not cover it under the vehicle warranty. My real concern isn't in the aesthetics of a cracked dashboard, it is for the safety of the passengers that drive in my truck. If, god forbid, I was to get into a car accident and the airbag deploys, there is a very real chance that the airbag might get punctured on the edge of the cracked dashboard and fail to do its function as it would immediately deflate. This is a serious safety hazard and one that might cost someone their life, do we really need to wait for something bad to happen (like the GMC issue with the ignition switch which cost people their lives after their GMC vehicle unexpectedly shut down in the middle of the highway!!) before something is done and GMC does the right thing and owns up to its mistake?

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012011

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that while driving, the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but the dealer offered little insight. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages was 84,300.

- Midlothian, TX, USA

Dec 122009

Sierra 1500

On 2-28-09 purchased a new vehicle a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 2 wd ext. Cab truck in early December 2009. Noticed on 4 occasions the gas pedal sticking and not allowing the driver to stop on more than one occasion. Witnesses were in the truck. Took the truck to the dealership and they stated after 2 days that they could not find anything wrong with truck. "just drive the truck" on December 11 the 2009 struck a telephone pole breaking the pole and the air bags did not deploy neither did on star respond. Due to this accident I has sustained neck injury, and neither gmac or the dealership will respond to the concerns about the air bags not deploying from a front end collision over 40 miles an hour doing $5000 worth of damage to the truck or even looking at the gas pedal sticking. Due to this the driver does not fell safe driving this truck or putting his family in truck.

- Kevil, KY, USA