2.9

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Sierra 1500:

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Jun 032016

Sierra 1500

At ~ 54,000 miles, the vehicle experienced increased oil consumption and lost compression on two cylinders. This vehicle has only been subjected to highway mileage of about 30 miles/day on average and has been properly maintained. The damage was to the extent that cylinders had to be replaced and it took the dealership 25 days to repair. A coworker had the same engine issue on his Chevrolet Silverado with the same 5.3 liter engine at ~ 45,000 miles. A cursory search of the internet will reveal that this is not an isolated incident. The overwhelming majority of owners comments that I have researched believe that it is caused by the active fuel management system failing to properly lubricate components when the engine cycles between 4 and 8 cylinders. GM disavowed any knowledge of these incidents when contacted. The service department of my local GMC dealership disavowed any knowledge also although I presented them over a dozen pages of GM owners group web pages with description of the same engine failures. However, when their mechanic was questioned as to whether he was repairing the problem or merely exchanging damaged parts, he replied "it won't happen again, we do this all the time". this tells me that my vehicle is not the first that they have seen with this problem.

- Madison, AL, USA

Dec 102015

Sierra 1500

Engine light came on - took to dealer - was told it was PO455 code evap failure - evap vent valve stuck open. Was told that it was a known problem but not covered by GMC - cost $501.17

- Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Jan 022016

Sierra 1500

While driving down a steep hill, lost engine power and truck speed was dramatically reduced. Dash warning "reduced engine power" displayed. Could not accelerate. This could have resulted in a an accident because this situation caused difficulty controlling the vehicle.

- Wenatchee, WA, USA

Aug 102012

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

As I was driving the truck seemed as if it turned off, all the gauges went down appearing of the truck was off and not running. The truck was still running, but the engine did not have power or acceleration. Continued to drive till I was at a safety zone. Turned it off and did not want to start no more I took the battery cable off and put it back jump start it and everything went back to normal.

- Santa Teresa , NM, USA

Jul 272013

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Saturday, July 27, 2013, our 2010 GMC Sierra K1500 caught fire and was completely destroyed as my husband was driving on the interstate. As smoke began to fill the cab and the "check engine" light came on, he attempted to brake so that he could escape, but the brakes were gone, and the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. Imagine his terror as he realized that at age 65, he may have to jump out of the truck or be consumed by a fire. He was able to down-shift to slow the truck enough to use the emergency brake to get the truck stopped just in time to escape from the truck and get far enough away to avoid bodily injury as the truck and our belongings burned completely. We are gravely concerned that the truck, which was purchased three years ago this month, and had only 18,000 miles on it, clearly was a risk to our lives and the lives of others. We have three adult children and seven grandchildren & often had one or more of them with us as we traveled in this vehicle. Had we needed to unbuckle the babies from their car seats and/or assist the toddlers in getting out, the outcome may have been very different, and it haunts us to know that this could have been the case. All had ridden in this truck in the weeks preceding yesterday's fire. As my husband headed home to Montana at the completion of his travel to visit our children and grandchildren, he ascended, then descended "lookout pass" on I-90 at the Montana/Idaho border - a pass that is steep and very busy with summer vacation travel as well as consistent heavy semi-truck travel. The curves on lookout are treacherous: The rate of accidents and semi-truck rollovers on the curves is high without an extraordinary event such as a burning vehicle. If our truck had caught fire even three or four miles earlier as he was descending the pass, the outcome is almost unthinkable.

- Kalispell, MT, USA