2010 GMC Sierra 1500 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Sierra 1500:

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Jun 022014

Sierra 1500

Takata recall. Dashboard began cracking on both drivers side and passengers side. Dealership said it was a common problem on their vehicles and used to have a solution in place where the customer would pay $100 and the manufacturer would pay the rest to have it replaces but had since done away with that deal. I imagine cause it was costing them more than they had thought. Asked if my extended warranty would cover it and after speaking to a representative it was determined that the extended warranty also did not cover this defect.

- Kingsville, TX, USA

Jun 302015

Sierra 1500

Dashboard is cracking and particularly around the passenger air bag. There is no real way to repair this. When we speak to GM dealerships, they tell you they know it is a problem and are willing to replace the dash but they will charge exorbitant amounts to do so. The second problem is that the door handles are not safe. One of the rear door handles has already broken. If you pull on them just the slightest bit too hard, they crack on the inside, causing the handle to fall off and be inoperative. Once again, GM is aware of the faulty parts but will not recall on this matter. Both of these issues are safety concerns and are widespread. I know this to be true because once my dash started cracking, I looked online to see if others were having the same problem. Sure enough, I learned that this is very wide spread. There are even aftermarket companies that have started to make plastic dash covers to fit directly over our dashboards just because it is so widespread. GM must recall these two defects. Kindly investigate?

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Mar 142014

Sierra 1500

Noticed a crack developed in the dash, at the passenger airbag seam, shortly after the bumper to bumper warranty ended. Still had roughly a year left on the powertrain warranty when the issue occurred. The dealer stated that there was no recall or anything they could do, but also stated that they had seen many trucks with this same issue. 3 years old and the dash has already cracking"?" concerned there may be an issue, if the airbag ever has to deploy. Would have reported it sooner, if I knew about this sight.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA

Feb 022016

Sierra 1500

Cracked dash on our 2010 GMC Sierra. There is a smaller crack on the passenger side and a very large crack on the drivers side and it keeps getting bigger. The big crack above the steering wheel rattles a lot while driving and very irritating. The biggest issue we have regards safety. If we were in a wreck and the airbags would deploy with the dash cracked that bad, we fear that it would shatter in many pieces. We have taken very good care of the truck, it is garage kept and a sun shield used when parked in the sun. It has 58,000 miles and is a 2010. This is clearly a defect in the design and believe that GM should replace it, but after many calls to GM directly, they refuse to pay for it to be replaced.

- Tell City, IN, USA

Apr 072016

Sierra 1500

A crack has recently appeared in the dash for no reason.

- Rogersville, AL, USA

Oct 012015

Sierra 1500

I contacted GMC on 10/26/2015 to inform them there was a crack in the dashboard on the upper left side of the passenger airbag. This is the second time this has happened. The first time brian harris GMC, the dealer I purchased the truck from, replaced the dashboard under the manufacturer's warranty. I also told andre at GMC I have had to replace all 4 door handles and now the 2 back door handles are broken again. Andre told me to have the dealer asses the problem. David, the service rep. At brian harris said they would replace the door handles under my extended factory warranty, and waive the deductible, but GMC will not cover the dashboard. I couldn't understand why the dashboard was not covered and was told it was GMC"S option. I disagreed and explained this is a safety issue. What if the airbag does not function properly or not function at all. If it does deploy will it throw shards of plastic and injure the people in the truck" he said he understood but there was nothing he could do. So I now have a crack in the dashboard of my truck for the second time. What else can I do"

- Lacombe, LA, USA

Dec 182013

Sierra 1500

Dash has cracked in several places and could be a safety concern. Edges are sharp and vibrate as well.

- Lecompton, KS, USA

Dec 272015

Sierra 1500

The dash on my 2010 GMC Sierra slt cracked in two places. One is right on the passenger airbag to the edge of the dashboard. Two is from the edge of the dash up to the gage cluster hump. These cracks happened on a 4 year old truck that has been very well taken care of. I always have a sun visor up when parked outside. I reported the problem to GM and had a dealer take a look at it. The service guy said that he had the same problem and they replaced his dash for free. They determined that it wasn't a safety concern and GM would cover $300 of the repairs. The repairs were going to cost around $1000. This is a very common design flaw that GM does not want take care of. I feel that this could be safely concern if the airbag deploys and the dash shoots sharp plastic from a faulty dash all over me or my family.

- Hernando, MS, USA

Aug 212012

Dashboard cracked.

- Manila, AR, USA

Dec 152015

Sierra 1500

Dash cracked over driver side instrument panel; I noticed this in the first week or two of December, 2015. I took it to the dealership and was told I would have to pay to have it repaired and I don't have the resources to pay to replace defective equipment. Truck is always parked under cover and never exposed to direct extreme temperatures for any extended periods. Truck has approx. 79,000 miles and is very well maintained. In addition to the dash cracking, the leather driver seat is ripping and appears to be caused by the seat belt not retracting properly. This was noticed about a week after I noticed the cracked dash. I am the only driver, am 67 years old, don't wear anything sharp on my clothing that would damage my seat. Surely the interior of this truck should last longer than the tires and I believe GM should take responsibility.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 022015

Sierra 1500

Hooked up a trailer (first time ever), discovered that the trailer lights were not working, checked fuses, found a melted fuse. Found a recall for same problem, however it is VIN specific and VIN is not covered. Took to dealership, and reported problem to GMC, was told to report it here. Also found a VIN specific recall for the driver control button for the passenger window (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't) and again this VIN is not covered.

- Tiffin, OH, USA

Nov 272015

Sierra 1500

The dash has cracked right above the passenger air bag. The truck was cleaned and detailed on Wednesday November 25th 2015, parked back in the garage and when I left in it Friday November 27, 2015 I noticed the dash was cracked. This is a major concern for me since it is the passenger air compartment and could result in flying debris for an occupant inside my truck.

- Newburgh, IN, USA

Dec 152010

Sierra 1500

The windshield and the side windows of my new 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 wt, have an extreme tendency to fog over in temperatures near the freezing point. I have read, and observed, that the ac compressor becomes automatically disabled when the outside temperature gets near the freeze zone (I think the actual threshold is somewhere around 40 degrees F). With the ac disabled, the defrost mode cannot keep the windows clear. The problem is magnified when there are two or three individuals in the cab. At that point, it is exceedingly difficult to clear the side windows, even to the point that frost forms on the inside window surface! very recently, while traveling to work during my 40 mile commute, I was running the ac, with the temp control set to a comfortable level and the blower about the medium setting and flowing through the main vents. The outside temperature was, apparently, hovering near the point where the electronics disable the compressor. The windshield and both side windows fogged over suddenly. I noticed the ac light was out, so I switched to defrost mode and hi blower. The windshield did clear in about a minute or two, but all of that happened while driving down the turnpike at 70 mph. This seems to be a significant safety least for me and my family. If the ac compressor had stayed enabled, this would never have happened. It is very difficult to stop condensation buildup if you cannot run the ac to dry the cabin air. This design configuration seems to present an issue of safety. I am not sure if it is just this particular model. I suspect so, since it is the base model truck. We have a 2011 GMC terrain, which does not present this issue.

- El Reno, OK, USA