2014 GMC Sierra 1500 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Jul 152014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

The headlight output on my new 2014 GMC Sierra is so poor that I cannot drive the vehicle safely at night. In fact, I do not drive it at all unless it is absolutely necessary. Not only are the lights very dim but the shape of the beam is also very poor. With the current oem headlight equipment, this vehicle is unsafe to operate at night.

- West Point, GA, USA

Aug 112014

Headlights are weak.

- St Cloud, FL, USA

Aug 122014

Sierra 1500

The headlights on the 2014 GMC Sierra do not supply enough light while driving at night. I was shocked at how little light they put out. It is almost dangerous to drive at night due to the fact that visibility is so limited.

- Mount Vernon, MO, USA

Aug 042014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Highway driving at night where dear/vehicle collisions happen on a daily (or nightly) basis with the poor light output of the headlights in the 2014 Sierra is, simply put, to be avoided in my opinion as well as all those who have ridden with me at night. One actually believed I was joking and asked me to turn the real headlights on, if that says anything about what my complaint is about today. I have avoided night driving with this truck in favor of a sedan equipped with oem "high intensity discharge" headlights even though deer represent more of a significant danger due to the height differences between the sedan (Nissan) and the pickup (14 Sierra). I do this because with the Nissan's hid headlights I am capable of seeing the deer (or pedestrians, debris, etc) from an adequate enough distance that allows me to slow way down or otherwise act accordingly. That is not an option with the 2014 GMC Sierra and it's projector headlights. While the Sierra may provide enough light output to suffice in well lit towns and on well lit roadways, it does not do so on secluded roads where deer are most prevalent and in turn the most difficult to see. Turning the "brights" on makes no difference to the actual areas that represent the possible danger one might encounter such as pedestrians, debris on the road, deer as previously mentioned, poorly lit vehicles, etc. It does however illuminate the trees which might be helpful to some but not too me. I understand GM attempting to save where possible, but give us that need better performing headlights have the factory option to upgrade them to hid's, I would have paid for it, as we did with the Nissan, and as my brother did with his Ford F150, both of which have outstanding headlight output thanks to the hid's.

- Marble Falls, TX, USA

Jul 162014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Unsafe and weak low beam headlights while driving at night.

- Santa Rosa Valley , CA, USA

Mar 072014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Worst headlight for a new vehicle. I have owned various GM trucks from 1967 to 2014. Never have I owned a truck with such worthless headlights like the projector beam headlights on my 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 with the all terrain package. The projector headlight are very dim and do not light the road more than 30 feet ahead. At highway speeds (55-70) the projector headlights are only lighting a half second ahead of you. Additionally there is no lighting to illuminate the sholder at all.. you must drive full time with the fog lamps on to have a small increase in lighting. When using the high beams there is very little effect on visibility. Extremely disapointed in the 2014 GMC Sierra. And will unlikely purchase another GM product in the future. At a msrp of over 50 grand I would expect a truck to have adequate headlight to light the road. Without the aftermarket cost to install better lighting the 2014 GMC Sierra is very unsafe to operate at night.

- Arvada, CO, USA

May 142014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Headlights are inadequate on low beam without the use of the lower driving/fog lamps. Lower lamps needed to light sides of road. When switching to high beams, lamps are totally useless. Beam is focused way too high and narrows. Without lower fog lamps on with high beams, there is no illumination of the road sides or lower pavement from 5-30/50 feet out in front of vehicle. This is serious issue when driving on rural highways or county roads at night or on open interstates. Unable to see any wildlife or pedestrians on side or in front of vehicle when driving at night.

- Lake Ozark, MO, USA

Apr 232014

Sierra 1500

Live in West Virginia. Was traveling home from 2nd shift along good country road when I had to swerve to miss a deer. Reason was be the headlights on my week old GMC Sierra are awful. They do not light up the road correctly (side to side) or distance wise. The low beams shine out about 30 feet and when I use the high beams the light is not aimed properly. It shines everywhere but on the road. Dealer said they've had lot of complaints but no info from GM on a fix. My last GM truck had great lights. Should have bought a Ram! this is dangerous and needs not to be covered up like the ignition switch thing.

- Follansbee, WV, USA

Mar 222014

Sierra 1500

Worst headlight on a new vehicle. I own 4 autos and am scared to drive at highway speed on local Pennsylvania roads. The high beam has no increase in visual effect. Very disappointed I may have to add extra light or modify factory tested lighting to make this adequate for safe driving.

- Gallitzin, PA, USA

Sep 172013

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Headlights are terrible. Very dim. Brights are no better. Installed aftermarket lighting (just under $400) just to be safe at night.. made complaint with GM. They did not admit to knowledge of the problem and offered nothing to make situation right. I am extremely disappointed and will not buy another GMC with projection headlights.

- Milford, MI, USA

Nov 012013

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

This vehicle has the worse headlights of any vehicle I have owned (I have owned 341). The headlights cut off abruptly at 36 feet in front of the vehicle. You can outdrive the headlights at 5 mph. After 4 visits to the dealership, they have aimed the headlights up to cast the light out further, but the high beams are now 30 feet up in the trees. The light is very, very dim overall. I own a 2014 mossimo utv four wheeler and the lights are brighter and have more distance than my $50,000 truck, I also own a Kia soul, a 2013 Ford Fusion, and a 2014 Chrysler town and country. All of those headlights are much brighter and give great light dispersion on both sides of the road and are bright. My headlights are like a 3 way bulb 70/100/125 watt.my other cars are like the 125 and the GMC is less than the 70 watt setting...good comparison. GMC is using 1 hir single filament bulb with a mechanical flapper for low beam. Very sorry set up. I live in Tennessee where the roads are crooked and have no shoulders. If you drive off the road, you are in a deep ditch or dead. This is a definite safety issue. 1901 headlights on a 2014 truck. I do not any longer drive this vehicle at night. GM has done nothing. No fix, no bulletin. I have read hundreds of complaints about the 2014 GMC headlights on the internet. I guess GM will cover this up like the ignition thing. I had a 2002 corvette that the ignition would lock up the steering wheel on, while driving. GM said it was impossible. I had video. They bought it back. Coverup artists!

- Maryville, TN, USA