2014 GMC Sierra 1500 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 102013

Sierra 1500

These trucks have the worst headlights that I have ever owned and something needs to be done before someone is hurt or killed.

- Coushatta, LA, USA

Dec 232014

Sierra 1500

Heads lights are so dim I cant drive the truck at night also the is a bad vibrations coming from the rear end.

- Crofton, KY, USA

Feb 262014

Sierra 1500

Poor headlights. The headlights on my 2014 GMC Sierra are terrible at best. Unable to see anything at night

- International Falls, MN, USA

Oct 132016

Sierra 1500

I purchased this truck new in October, 2014. My research prior to purchase showed a number of complaints about the headlights, but I did not think there were enough complaints for me to be concerned. I was wrong. I live in a rural area and the headlights are definitely inadequate on the low beam setting. The mechanical shutter design produces a very sharp beam cutoff at about the level of the hood, making it seem like you are sitting in a darkened area above a bowl of light. The projector headlights provide little, if any, illumination of objects on the side of the road. I use the fog/driving lights continually on the truck or I would not feel comfortable driving it with low beams in unlit areas. For the sake of comparison, I have attached two images taken on two consecutive mornings at approximately the same location on my driveway. The truck picture was taken approximately ten minutes later than the car picture (both were approximately 6:45 a.M.). note there is a slight perspective shift due to the height difference in the vehicles and the driving/fog lights were not on on either vehicle when the picture was taken. Note the 25-year old technology sealed beam headlights show the fence posts at the right side of the vehicle where the GMC's headlights show a dark void. It honestly feels like you are driving through a tunnel of light in the truck. You have no hope of seeing any objects on either side of the road. There is a tsb on this issue that recommends replacing the bulbs and reprogramming the BCM. My truck has not had this performed because the dealership did not have the bulbs in stock when I asked about it. There is some debate on message boards regarding whether or not the update offers any benefits. Additionally, the new bulbs allegedly have a significantly shortened life over the originals and they can be difficult to locate when needed.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Oct 062015

Sierra 1500

Headlight performance during night time driving is poor and unsafe at highway speeds in rural areas.

- Forney, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Sierra 1500

The basic design of the headlights does not allow for a sufficient level of lighting to safely operate the vehicle at night. There is virtually no lateral lighting, and the headlights do not illuminate the way forward, they only drop a shutter in front of the lights when one switches from low beam to high. There is no increase in light intensity or volume when switching to bright lights. Recall and fix!!!!!!

- Payson, AZ, USA

Apr 012015

Sierra 1500

Very dim headlights causing difficulty driving at night and in rainy weather. 2014 GMC Sierra with 13000 miles.purchased truck in March of 2015 noticed lighting issue first time I drove at night

- Port Jefferson Station, NY, USA

Jan 102014

Sierra 1500

The poor headlights in this vehicle prevent it from being safely operated after dark.

- Payson, AZ, USA

Feb 202014

Sierra 1500

The headlights are to dim, it is hard to see, they do not project very far.the worst headlights I have ever had

- Sandy Lake, PA, USA

Sep 212014

Sierra 1500

The headlights on this truck are inadequate for driving at night. If it's raining at night, I won't drive it. I bought a new truck from GMC, it's unsafe to drive at night, and GMC should fix it !!

- Martinez, GA, USA

Jul 252016

Sierra 1500

There truly is no accident at this time. However... if this condition isn't corrected, there will be accidents. These may result in not only loss of life or property, but possible criminal prosecution. The issue: The projector headlamp design of the 2014 GMC Sierra is extremely subpar for lighting the roadway ahead of you. Individuals, in order to not "outdrive" their lights, would probably have to go below posted minimum speed limits on highways, presenting yet another issue for the driver as well as those who would approach from the rear in nighttime driving conditions. I contacted GMC... aware of the issue. No help at this time. I got the impression from the operator that "not enough people have filed complaints." I'm guessing that when the catastrophic and tragic happens, it will not matter that not enough people filed complaints... officially. Slight research on the internet will show many individuals complaining about the issue. But GMC's admission that they are "aware" but are taking no action at this point is very disturbing. I would have thought that design issues would have had to be cleared by an oversight Agency of some sort" I just discovered the extremely scary feeling of "driving in the dark"... basically... after having my truck since thanksgiving. But I drive mostly in the daylight, and have been on interstate 20 in one of the busiest sections with traffic at night... not realizing how much others' lights were helping. When driving alone on a rural road, however, it is tantamount to driving with a flashlight when it comes to safety. I am wanting to trust that the Agency tasked with safety will please look into this issue? before someone or multiples lose their lives and lawsuits ensue"

- Plainville, CT, USA

Aug 022016

Sierra 1500

Vehicle has poor headlight performance when driving at night. Has been back to the dealer multiple times since purchase in 2014. Reprogramming and headlight bulb replacement was ineffective. Not safe to drive in rural/dark and or rain/snow/dark.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Jun 292016

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. While driving 65 mph, the headlights became unresponsive and produced dim lighting on the road. The failure hindered the contact's visibility. The vehicle was taken to be repaired, but the issue recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 35,600.

- Mitchell, SD, USA

May 022014

Sierra 1500

Headlights are terrible. In a dark rural area, they are so dim they are dangerous. You can easily outdrive your headlights. In the dark and rain, you should stay home. It's sad I can't drive my $50,000 truck at night. Dealer's "fix" was worthless. So angry. I will never own another GM vehicle!

- Richardson, TX, USA

Jan 012015

Sierra 1500

Extremely poor/unsafe headlights. I have been dealing with this issue since purchased new. "lurking" in forums and complaint web sites assuming a fix would be forthcoming. I guess not. Insufficient lighting at night in rural settings with no ambient light. Cannot see anywhere near the distance required to drive safely at posted limits and non-existent side lighting. 2 near misses with deer grazing on side of road as proof. I spent the money for good auxiliary driving lights and a light bar to put them on but are only useful with no oncoming traffic. Current replacement bulbs/BCM reprogram cause limited improvement with significant increase in bulb failure frequency. 2016 redesign eliminated these lights and retrofit to 2014/15 hardware is available. GM should step up!

- North Judson, IN, USA

Jun 162016

Sierra 1500

I have returned my GMC crew cab Sierra 2014 to the dealer 5 times because of inadequate headlights. The first time they service dept. Readjusted them with no improvement. The third time back the bulbs were replaced per a bulletin and BCM reprogrammed. Still no improvement especially on the right side. The fourth time I had my intelligence insulted when the service adviser told me it was because the garage door he shone them on was dirtier on the right side. What an excuse and only a fool would insult his own intelligence with that remark. The fifth time back the parts manager had ordered a new bulb for the right side and was consequently replaced a second time. I wrote a certified letter then to GM customer service and was contacted by mark 1-866-522-0300 ext.#5921569. He said I was supposed to take the vehicle to the dealership and leave it so they could drive it at nite. I did that and it was driven by paul and upon contacting him this am he told me the low beams were absolutely terrible and overall the headlights on the truck were as lousy as all the 2014 and 15 trucks are. Upon picking the truck up this afternoon the same rediculis service advisor (wally) told me that he didn't drive it and paul did and told him there was no problem with the lights. Who is the liar? isincerely believe it is wally because he is bound and determined not to fix it. The high beams on this vehicle are what the low beams should be. This is a safety issue and a $53000 truck should have safe headlights. On low beam there is a black curtain only a few feet from the hood and going downhill that black is almost at the end of the hood. I have over the past 18 months talked to four GM reps at the customer service center, with the third one telling she would make arrangements to replace the light system with the 2016 system. She called the dealer setting it up and then never followed through.

- Randolph, NY, USA

May 102016

Sierra 1500

Not bright enough. It is not safe to drive dark countryside roads. No side visibility at all. I almost hit a cow.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Sep 182014

Sierra 1500

The headlights are not bright enough for night driving on country roads without street lights, on bright or dim mode. These are the worse headlights on any car I have ever owned, I personally have bought 4 brand new GMC pickups, this is the worse. I never thought about test driving at night, I trusted them, wrong!

- Friendsville, TN, USA

Dec 012014

Sierra 1500

Visibility from headlights are very poor at night. Very bad safety hazard if not corrected by GMC!!

- Crowley, TX, USA

Apr 152016

Sierra 1500

Vehicle will lose power and shut off while driving, while in reverse I have had the steering wheel ripped out of my hands. Random error messages on dic, random starting issues. Taken to shop multiple times, they cannot find an issue.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA