9.2

2. recall for different style of headlights (17 reports)
  3. have gm install the 2016 headlight assy's (7 reports)
  4. higher quality light (5 reports)
  5. purchased aftermarket hid (3 reports)
  6. dealer replaced the bulbs and increased voltage (2 reports)
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 142014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

Class action now forming for owners of these trucks with these terrible headlights. The intent of the suit is to get GMC to provide a REAL fix for these dangerous headlights.

I have owned two of the affected trucks, and they are essentially not drive-able after dark. I'm not affiliated with the firms bring the suit. I found out about it from other GMC owners forums.

If you own one of the affected trucks (ALL 2014 and 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 pickups, ALL trim levels) you are encouraged to contact the law firm in charge of client intake, to join the class action. GM knows there is a problem and refuses to provide a real fix. Join the class action NOW by contacting:

The Russell Law Firm 7557 Rambler Rd., Suite 810 Dallas, TX 75231 Phone: 214-443-0800 Fax: 214-443-0898

For faster response, email them at: leon@rs-attorneys.com rosi@rs-attorneys.com

There is no financial obligation to joining the class action.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 012015

Sierra 1500 4.3L V6

This truck has the world's worst headlights. They provide scant coverage down the road, and none to the sides. They are absolutely terrible on a rainy night. I am surprised that I haven't run anyone over yet -- I almost did just two days ago, turning into a side road, when I didn't see a person walking along the road. The headlights are that bad. I had the TSB done, reprogramming the BCM and adding the Vosla HIR bulbs, but that made only a slight improvement. GMC needs to come up with a new projector design or return to old-fashioned headlights. Or install an HID headlight in place of the one used on the 2014 and 2015 GMC. In fact, GMC needs to do an immediate recall and fix this problem, which has major safety impacts.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

May 162016

Sierra 1500 Z71 5.3L

I just purchased a 2014 sierra 1500, and found out after the purchase that the headlights are real sh*tty, they don't shine bright enough to light up the road suffiently, the low beams arent real bad for low speed driving ( under 40mph ) but the high beams arent safe at any faster speeds, light seems to disappear st around 250 ft, but doesn't light up the area. I have a 1995 tohoe that the low beams are brighter than the high beams on the 2014, This is a terrible safety concern, gm should be made repair this issue. The lights don't seem to light up the sides of the road at all,

- , Slippery Rock, PA, USA

Sep 272013

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

2014 GMC SIERRA LIGHTS ARE CRAPPY THEY DONT GIVE MUCH LIGHT TO SEE I DRIVE AT NIGHT TIME IF ITS DARK AND RAINING YOU CANT SEE VERY FAR

- , New Lowell, ON, Canada

Nov 182015

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

Cannot see at night. Spent to much $$$$$$ for this.

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Nov 012013

Sierra 1500 LTZ 5.3L

GM JUST NEEDS TO STEP UP AND FIX ALL THEIR ISSUES AS WE PAY BIG BUCKS $50,000 FOR THESE TRUCKS AND THEIR CRAP.

- , Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Apr 222014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

I have owned GMC trucks since 1998 and I am currently on my 6th GMC Sierra. This truck is awesome with the exception of the worst projecting headlights I have ever seen. Side view is VERY limited and front view is terrible especially when driving in the rain or in rural areas. I have had the new BCM update and bulbs installed and notice very limited improvement. After market companies make a fix to convert to HID so my question is why can't GM fix these lights when they KNOW they have a problem and fixed it starting with the 2016 Sierra.

- , Summerset, SD, USA

Sep 152014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

The headlights on this vehicle are the worst that I have ever experienced. At night the visibility is really poor and dangerous since you can only see about 30-40 feet in front of the vehicle. With visibility this bad it makes it hard to see what is ahead on a dark street which is an accident waiting to happen.

- , Duluth, GA, USA

Jul 082014

Sierra 1500 5.3L

The headlights are not safe to drive at night. Need to upgrade the headlights.

- , Leechburg, PA, USA

Apr 202014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L Flex Fuel

Like others on here I complained right away to the dealer the first business day after my purchase of my truck. The service department and sales person said that they were not aware of any issue. I bitched loud and clear and even had my wife bring in her 1987 Toyota Camry with fogged over headlights and I said how in the hell can you say that there is no problem when the 27 year old car had more visibility from the headlights than my new rig.

We have spent hundreds of dollars on different bulbs for this truck with no luck. I had even put aftermarket LED's, and they were fine for about a week and then it started sending all sorts of error messages and showed bulbs burned out and really made it run like crap so they had to be removed and back to the stock crappy ones.

I hope this voltage upgrade and the bulbs will help. We love the truck, just can't take the chance on driving it at night. With the amount of wet weather we receive here on Oregon I need to be able to see the road at night and with these lights that just doesn't happen. I was able to put LED bulbs in the stock driving light housing which helped a lot, but I have got a police warning for driving with them on

Update from Mar 20, 2016: Had Technical Service Bulletin done today March 19, 2016 and what a huge difference on my 2014 Sierra VIN code G.I was able to see things at night that I was unable to see with the headlights on this truck before. I didn't even need to turn on the driving lights to see the road. Hopefully it will be as good when the roads are wet at night.

Update from May 27, 2016: The headlight upgrade fixed the visibility is at night. Those of you that are having this issue there is a Technical Service Bulletin telling the dealer to Reprogram the Body Control Module and install 2 new bulbs P/N 23342527. This is at no charge to you since it is a TSB

- , Aloha, OR, USA

Sep 202013

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

2014 GMC Sierra lights are terrible poor vision. GM CANADA should come up with a better light system hope we can get some sort of help with this problem. It should be a recall.

- , New Lowell, ON, Canada

Feb 152016

Sierra 1500 SLE 5,3

Since I purchased the vehicle the headlights were sub standard. Only after requesting them to check the headlights did the dealer say there was an upgrade where they replace the bulbs and reprogram the computer to increase the voltage to the headlights. So I had this procedure done and the results were really insignificant to say the least. The original problems are and continue to be even after the headlight upgrade was done ,

There is a very Dangerous Distracting and Distinct line of Lighting to virtually no light at all, and very little side lighting so when you are going into a sharp turn on a very dimly lit road you cannot see what you are turning into. When they did the upgrade they also adjusted the headlights upward to help compensate for that line of light to no light and now I am consistently being flashed high beams by other motorists I must now be blinding others with my upgraded and adjusted lights while visibility still remains very poor and sub standard….

- , Sugarloaf, PA, USA

Nov 152015

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L

This not a complaint. This is the solution to my God awful headlights.

1. I contacted GM customer service for help. 2. Dealer was contacted by CS and was told to change the headlight bulbs which resulted in minimal improvement. 3 Dealer was contacted by CS and was asked to raise the headlight aim which resulted in no improvement. 4. I told CS that I wanted the the 2016 headlights installed in my truck. This resulted in many emails and phone calls without any positive action. 5. I searched out the email address for Mary Barra. I a short email I asked her to ask her people what was being done to correct the God Awful 2014/2015 headlight problem. I told her that I had exhausted all of the resources available to me without success. 6. The next morning I received a call fro CS asking me if I had a problem. I thanked them for asking. Lol It was at that point they said that they would contact my dealer to ask them to proceed in installing the 2016 headlights in my truck. &. The headlights are in and the truck is everything that it was suppose to be. I am happy. The purpose of this posting is to hopefully help all of the other owners of the 2014/2015 Sierra's. Wishing you the best of luck, Tom

- , cheboygan, MI, USA

May 082015

Sierra 1500 SLT

Just like everyone else has mentioned, the lights on my gmc sierra suck ass! I've done a ton of research and I think my only option is going to be spending the money to upgrade to hid lights. I've tried different bulbs but with the bulb type, 9012, there are hardly any different options. I'm tired of feeling like I can't drive my $40,000 truck at night because I can't see in front of me. I traded in a 2001 Silverado when I bought this gmc and it had way better lights. The lights on the gmc are brighter on dim with the fog lights turned on then what they are on "bright" It's time gmc gets off their cheap asses and does something to fix this problem before people were killed.

Update from Dec 31, 2015: After writing a stern email to GM about my concerns I was surprised to had been contacted the same day. My case has been upgrading to a supervisor who is supposed to contact me in 1-2 business days to work on a solution. I also found the following document from GM with regards to the headlight issue. People have stated if you print this and take it into your dealership they will upgrade your headlights. Just figured I would let people know you may be able to get the issue fixed with a little bit of effort. I'll update again after I know what they plan on doing.

- , Manhattan, KS, USA

Feb 192014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

I have experienced extremely poor visibility with the headlights on my Sierra. The throw distance is VERY DANGEROUSLY short and you can only see about 30' in front of you. When others drive it, they inevitably say "what's wrong with your headlights?" I had visited with the dealer about it a few times early on hoping for a fix, but there was no info.

Recently, there is finally a TSB to resolve the issue, but GMC is apparently trying to sweep it under the rug and not resolve it since it has gone out of warranty in the mean time. I find it unacceptable that they have a DANGEROUS situation with the headlights and they aren't willing to fix this problem. I have narrowly avoided a handful of accidents that would not been an issue at all with better lighting.

I have talked to GMC and the dealer 10+ times and they are obviously just hoping I will forget about it. They can be sure that if I have an accident at night, my lawyer will be contacting them!

- , Wichita, KS, USA

Dec 052014

Sierra 1500 5.3L

I have owned eleven vehicles in my lifetime and these are the worst headlights I have experienced. A very short cutoff and worst of all, no side illumination. When turning into a side street or driveway, you are turning completely blind. This is truly a safety concern.

- , Tavares, FL, USA

Jul 252014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.4L

click to see larger images

terrible headlights, poor visibility terrible headlights, poor visibility

I've owned my 2014 GMC Sierra SLE for just over one year now and very rarely drive it at night because the headlights are terrible!!! I always have to turn my fog lights on to help see when I do drive in the dark. One night, just for fun, I drove with my "so called" high beams on for approximately 10 miles from my in-laws house to my house, which includes driving on a 4 lane highway for 8 of those miles and not one person flashed their lights at me! I've been driving for over 21 years and have never ever drove a vehicle with headlights so dim! My first car was a 1989 Nissan Sentra $9999, brand new and the low beams on that car were WAY brighter than the high beams on my brand new 2014 GMC Sierra $48,000+. That should be an embarrassment to General Motors! I hope there hasn't been any accidents, injuries or deaths because of this poor engineering design to the headlights!!! I hope someone with a little bit of sense that's employeed at GM will see this is a serious matter and do something about it!!! It's a small fix compared to what the total price of the truck cost. I can't believe they knew this was a problem and continued installing these headlights in the 2015 models!! C'mon General Motors!!! You all should just fall in line with the rest of the Companies, Coorporations, Leaders, and Politicians in the United States that don't give a f*ck about AMERICANS!!! It's ALL about the mighty dollar!!! Well, if you all continue putting these same awful dim headlights in your trucks, I hope you eventually get your asses sued, lose the case, have to replace all the headlight assemblies and bulbs on every single vehicle these sorry ass headlights were installed on, and have to compensate each owner with few thousand dollars for having to deal with this bullshit you all designed and sold us!!!! Thank you!!! P.S. My wife drives a Lexus SUV and those headlight are AMAZING!!! General Motors, give Toyota/Lexus a call, they may be able to help you out or at least get you heading in the right direction because obviously they know what headlight are designed to do and they actually apply that knowledge to the vehicles they build.....and it shows!!! Just look at a Lexus driving down the road at night, their headlights make it day light without the high beams on!!!

- , Leland, NC, USA

Aug 302014

Sierra 1500 Denali 5.3L V8

Bought the truck brand new in 2014 first time I drove the truck at night noticed the headlights sucked. Thought it was me comparing the lights on the new truck to the headlights on my 1999 Ford superduty which were great .I have family that live up in the hills and to drive the truck up a twisty mountain road at night is like taking your life in your own hands. It is to a point where we just take the wife's car if we are driving at night. We are supposed to have a bad winter this year and I do not feel safe driving this truck in bad weather at night. I Would like to find out if there is a fix for this.

- , San Jose, USA

Jan 012014

Sierra 1500 SLE 4.3L

I have a another vehicle that is 25 years old. I drive it at night as much as I can. I hate the headlights on my 2014 gmc. Love the truck hate the poor/crappie lighting. I traded a 2008 in on this truck wish i had it back. It had great lights on it

- , Jackson, TN, USA

Oct 242014

Sierra 1500 Slt Texas Edition 5.3L

Hello

My name is Ismael Colon and I work as a sheriff Deputy. I own a 2014 GMC SIERRA and is the worst truck I have ever bought.

The headlights on this truck provide inadequate lighting, including both low beams and high beams. Any night driving is difficult due to limited visibility, there simply is not enough illumination to see. Can be very dangerous - especially during precipitation. The headlight has a severe design flaw with gm says is a shutter system. This type of design does not leave any options for simply changing the type of bulb - the design is actually at fault for the poor visibility. The visibility problems simply cannot be fixed with a different bulb type due to the shutter design type.

The need from a new headlight will solve the problem.

Many complaints are being registered online related to the visibility problem. These trucks are not safe to drive at night. If there is a standard for minimum headlight illumination for night time driving, this model headlight needs to be

- , Killeen, USA