Terrible Headlights, Poor Visibility

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 (Page 1 of 5)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your GMC dealer.

9.2

2. recall for different style of headlights (17 reports)
  3. have gm install the 2016 headlight assy's (11 reports)
  4. higher quality light (6 reports)
  5. dealer replaced the bulbs and increased voltage (4 reports)
  6. purchased aftermarket hid (3 reports)
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 012014

Sierra 1500 SLE Double Cab 5.3L V8

I have a 2014 GMC sierra 4x4 double cab. The truck is an awesome drive...EXCEPT when it comes to night driving..might as well walk with a $2 flashlight! Headlights are absolutely terrible! I had the upgraded headlight bulbs installed at dealer.....no difference. If on low beam, things are fine for about 20-30ft, on high beam....it is best compared to a spot light or laser....you can see something far away, but nothing in between, and if it is really dark..such as rainy weather or overcast...forget it,,,you are white knuckled for the whole drive from being so nervous. Where I live, moose are a big problem and with these lights, the only way you would see a moose is when its on top of your truck!!!!....heaven forbid a person walked out!. I have seem numerous comments and pictures online about people getting their trucks retrofitted with new and improved lights from 2016 models...this proves GM is aware of the problem and a total recall to replace these headlights before someone is killed!!

- , Mount Pearl, NL, Canada

Feb 062017

Sierra 1500 5.3L

purchased used GMC Sierra and didn't realize how terrible the head lights were until a few days later when I drove it after dark. Dealer wants $475 to reprogram something and replace bulbs. Research has revealed that this fix is inadequate. I am really disappointed in GMC for not recalling these trucks. I will be going back to FORD for my next truck.

- , Orange, TX, US

Jan 012015

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

You pay a lot of money for what you thought was a great vehicle. I've been buying gmc trucks for years and the quality of the headlamps has been cheapeed up. What the hell. Maybe i made i mistake and didn't buy another brand !!!!

- , Livonia, US

Jan 022014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

The headlights on this truck are the worst I have ever used. At night you can barely see the road and if it's raining its like I don't even have the headlights on. This causes a dangerous situation and I have almost crashed several times because of the poor lighting.

- , Brunswick, OH, US

Mar 262014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

The headlights on my 2014 sierra Z71 are pathetic. There is no real difference between the brights and the dims , yet I am constantly being flashed by other drives who I meet on the road. I have complained to the dealer twice about it. The first time they said everything work properly ( The next night drive I took I was being flashed again) complained the second time the they supposedly changed the light and "reprogramed them" no change I still get flashed constantly and see no difference between my dims and brights. I never run with my bright on because they don't help

- , Seven Sisters Falls, MB, Canada

Sep 182014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L V6

Reported that headlights were very poor to dealer shortly after I purchased. I thought there might be an alignment issue or something but nothing changed even after headlight alignment was checked by dealer. Since we don't drive a lot at night, I decided to let things be and use our other vehicle if we had to travel at night. It becomes difficult in winter when days are short and while adding running lights helps a bit, I have had a number of scary moments dodging items or animals on the road, especially if the road is wet.

I had finally decided that it is too dangerous not to do something about it so began searching on the internet and realized it was a common issue with pre-2016 Sierra 1500 owners. I then attempted to contact the Customer Care Ambassador at General Motors of Canada that I had been in contact with on another issue (rear left body lean which GM was never able to resolve) but, although I phoned and left her messages on three occasions over a two week period, I heard nothing back. Finally I just contacted another Care Ambassador who took down the info and indicated someone would get back to me. It's been over a week and I have heard nothing.

- , Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Nov 022015

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

Headlights are too dim for proper vision (both distance and side vision).

Update from Feb 3, 2017: Dealership replaced headlights with 2 bulbs. Part # 23342527. Dealership followed instructions as per PIT5374 as per GM specs.

- , Keizer, OR, USA

Nov 252016

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L V8

Worst headlights ever! I purchased this truck on 11/22/2016. The very first time I drove at night, I thought the headlights weren't working. Can not see very far down the road and can't see the shoulders of the road either! Very dangerous to drive at night. I live in a rural area, so this affects me greatly! GM needs to recall and fix this problem.

- , Wilmore, KY, USA

May 292015

Sierra 1500 4.3L V6

The headlights are terrible. Night driving feels unsafe because the lights are so bad. Cannot see wildlife in ditches.

- , Forestburg, AB, Canada

Apr 012014

Sierra 1500

This headlights suck. I paid well over 50k for my Gmail Sierra and it feels like I was ripped off.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Oct 102013

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

GM needs to recall these trucks and replace the headlights they are the worst lights I have ever owned.

- , Coushatta, LA, USA

May 052014

Sierra 1500

I live in the country, not the in the city where everything is lit up. It is hard to see the road and shoulder at night, and hard to see where I am turning. I put my fog lights to see better. Also where I live we have deer and lots of them. I need my headlights to be boarder, so I can see the deer or any other animal that decides to cross the road in front of me.

- , Wadena, MN, USA

Nov 012014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L V8 Ffv

click to see larger images

terrible headlights, poor visibility

It is bad when you feel compelled to compare the headlight output of a two year old 4x4 truck to a 25-year old sports car with sealed beam headlights. It is downright shameful when the quarter-century old technology wins. We always thought our 1991 3000GT had marginal headlights until I drove the vehicles back-to-back recently and noticed I had better visibility with the car's headlights. The attached picture shows the difference pretty clearly. The car's headlights illuminate the right side of the driveway and the truck's lights simply do not.

When I researched the truck prior to purchasing it new in late 2014, I noticed several complaints about the headlights on this site; however, I didn't think they would be as bad as they are. I live in a dark rural area, and the headlights are simply inadequate. Whoever developed the mechanical shutter mechanism used in these headlight assemblies obviously never tested them in rural areas. The sharp light cutoff can be simulated by walking around in a dimly-lit room with your eyes half closed. The problem is really noticeable when you go down a slight dip and the black veil descends right in front of the hood. Using the driving lights continuously provides a little side illumination, but it still feels like you are driving through a narrow tunnel of light. GM seems to have fixed the problem in later versions of the truck--they should at least offer a retrofit kit for the 2014 model at a reasonable price.

If you are considering purchasing one of these trucks, plan to add supplemental lighting if you live in a rural area. Better yet, just avoid the 2014 model year altogether.

- , Hamilton, OH, US

Oct 262016

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

THESE LIGHTS ARE AWFUL. MY REPORT DATE IS ONLY THE DATE I REPORTED THIS TO DEALERSHIP, BUT HAS BEEN A COMPLAINT FOR FULL OWNERSHIP DURATION SINCE BRAND NEW. I FOUND THE SERVICE BULLETINS ON LINE ON A FORUM. THE DEALERSHIP DID NOT INFORM ME OF THESE AND ACTED AS IF THEY HAD NOT HEARD OF THEM. THEN QUOTED FOR CHARGES TO FIX NOT UNDER WARRANTY! REPROGRAM BCM FOR MORE VOLTAGE - $120.00 REPLACE HEADLIGHT BULB WITH UPGRADED BULBS PART #23342528 $160. I OPTED FOR REPROGRAM BCM FIRST. IF THIS DOES NOT FIX PROBLEM, I MAY OPT FOR BULB REPLACEMENT.

THESE FIXES SHOULD BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY!!!!!!!

- , Theodore, AL, USA

Dec 012014

Sierra 1500 4.3L

I can't drive the truck at night because the lighting is so poor.

- , Crofton, KY, USA

Jan 102014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

Due to the ineffective headlights on the 2014 1500 Sierra, I now own a $50,000+ vehicle that I cannot drive safely at night.

I have repeatedly (four times) taken this vehicle to my local GMC dealer for correction. The Service Manager there finally took it home overnight to personally observe the problem. When I picked it up the next day, the Service Manager humbly apologized for the lack of lighting provided by the headlights and agreed that they did, indeed, present a critical safety issue, and that he was not at all comfortable driving the vehicle after dark, but offered no correction to the issue, and only conveyed his apology for an obvious failure in GMC design.

This is my third GMC product, and Had I driven it after dark, I would not have purchased it.

Believe me, I tell everyone about how GMC is not a product to purchase, as they have refused to correct a critical safety issue. Do the right thing GM, and do it now!

- , Payson, AZ, USA

Oct 202014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

The headlight problem was very dangerous and I didn't drive it at nite as it was scary. I believe there will be crashes and injuries eventually. I just traded the truck to get rid of the problem and I believe GM should have contributed to that expense but they just pass the buck, lie and hedge the problem. Even the service advisor at the dealer insulted my intelligence and made himself look like a total fool because he had no idea how to fix it. Ignore the problem if you can't fix it or make promises that never materialize. I returned this truck to the dealership 5 times with no solution. The strange thing is that the right side lights are worse than the left. How can that be?

- , Randolph, NY, USA

Nov 142014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

Class action now forming for owners of these trucks with these terrible headlights. The intent of the suit is to get GMC to provide a REAL fix for these dangerous headlights.

I have owned two of the affected trucks, and they are essentially not drive-able after dark. I'm not affiliated with the firms bring the suit. I found out about it from other GMC owners forums.

If you own one of the affected trucks (ALL 2014 and 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 pickups, ALL trim levels) you are encouraged to contact the law firm in charge of client intake, to join the class action. GM knows there is a problem and refuses to provide a real fix. Join the class action NOW by contacting:

The Russell Law Firm 7557 Rambler Rd., Suite 810 Dallas, TX 75231 Phone: 214-443-0800 Fax: 214-443-0898

For faster response, email them at: leon@rs-attorneys.com rosi@rs-attorneys.com

There is no financial obligation to joining the class action.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 012015

Sierra 1500 4.3L V6

This truck has the world's worst headlights. They provide scant coverage down the road, and none to the sides. They are absolutely terrible on a rainy night. I am surprised that I haven't run anyone over yet -- I almost did just two days ago, turning into a side road, when I didn't see a person walking along the road. The headlights are that bad. I had the TSB done, reprogramming the BCM and adding the Vosla HIR bulbs, but that made only a slight improvement. GMC needs to come up with a new projector design or return to old-fashioned headlights. Or install an HID headlight in place of the one used on the 2014 and 2015 GMC. In fact, GMC needs to do an immediate recall and fix this problem, which has major safety impacts.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

May 162016

Sierra 1500 Z71 5.3L

I just purchased a 2014 sierra 1500, and found out after the purchase that the headlights are real sh*tty, they don't shine bright enough to light up the road suffiently, the low beams arent real bad for low speed driving ( under 40mph ) but the high beams arent safe at any faster speeds, light seems to disappear st around 250 ft, but doesn't light up the area. I have a 1995 tohoe that the low beams are brighter than the high beams on the 2014, This is a terrible safety concern, gm should be made repair this issue. The lights don't seem to light up the sides of the road at all,

Update from Aug 23, 2016: after notifying the dealer they replaced the bulbs with a different bulb. The new bulbs made a hugh difference. But it still is not the entire solution. My 1995 tohoe still has far better lights than the 2014 G.M.C. sierra.

- , Slippery Rock, PA, USA