9.3

2. recall for different style of headlights (17 reports)
  3. have gm install the 2016 headlight assy's (8 reports)
  4. higher quality light (5 reports)
  5. dealer replaced the bulbs and increased voltage (3 reports)
  6. purchased aftermarket hid (3 reports)
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Apr 012014

Sierra 1500

This headlights suck. I paid well over 50k for my Gmail Sierra and it feels like I was ripped off.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Oct 102013

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

GM needs to recall these trucks and replace the headlights they are the worst lights I have ever owned.

- , Coushatta, LA, USA

May 052014

Sierra 1500

I live in the country, not the in the city where everything is lit up. It is hard to see the road and shoulder at night, and hard to see where I am turning. I put my fog lights to see better. Also where I live we have deer and lots of them. I need my headlights to be boarder, so I can see the deer or any other animal that decides to cross the road in front of me.

- , Wadena, MN, USA

Nov 012014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L V8 Ffv

click to see larger images

terrible headlights, poor visibility

It is bad when you feel compelled to compare the headlight output of a two year old 4x4 truck to a 25-year old sports car with sealed beam headlights. It is downright shameful when the quarter-century old technology wins. We always thought our 1991 3000GT had marginal headlights until I drove the vehicles back-to-back recently and noticed I had better visibility with the car's headlights. The attached picture shows the difference pretty clearly. The car's headlights illuminate the right side of the driveway and the truck's lights simply do not.

When I researched the truck prior to purchasing it new in late 2014, I noticed several complaints about the headlights on this site; however, I didn't think they would be as bad as they are. I live in a dark rural area, and the headlights are simply inadequate. Whoever developed the mechanical shutter mechanism used in these headlight assemblies obviously never tested them in rural areas. The sharp light cutoff can be simulated by walking around in a dimly-lit room with your eyes half closed. The problem is really noticeable when you go down a slight dip and the black veil descends right in front of the hood. Using the driving lights continuously provides a little side illumination, but it still feels like you are driving through a narrow tunnel of light. GM seems to have fixed the problem in later versions of the truck--they should at least offer a retrofit kit for the 2014 model at a reasonable price.

If you are considering purchasing one of these trucks, plan to add supplemental lighting if you live in a rural area. Better yet, just avoid the 2014 model year altogether.

- , Hamilton, OH, USA

Oct 262016

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

THESE LIGHTS ARE AWFUL. MY REPORT DATE IS ONLY THE DATE I REPORTED THIS TO DEALERSHIP, BUT HAS BEEN A COMPLAINT FOR FULL OWNERSHIP DURATION SINCE BRAND NEW. I FOUND THE SERVICE BULLETINS ON LINE ON A FORUM. THE DEALERSHIP DID NOT INFORM ME OF THESE AND ACTED AS IF THEY HAD NOT HEARD OF THEM. THEN QUOTED FOR CHARGES TO FIX NOT UNDER WARRANTY! REPROGRAM BCM FOR MORE VOLTAGE - $120.00 REPLACE HEADLIGHT BULB WITH UPGRADED BULBS PART #23342528 $160. I OPTED FOR REPROGRAM BCM FIRST. IF THIS DOES NOT FIX PROBLEM, I MAY OPT FOR BULB REPLACEMENT.

THESE FIXES SHOULD BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY!!!!!!!

- , Theodore, AL, USA

Dec 012014

Sierra 1500 4.3L

I can't drive the truck at night because the lighting is so poor.

- , Crofton, KY, USA

Jan 102014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

Due to the ineffective headlights on the 2014 1500 Sierra, I now own a $50,000+ vehicle that I cannot drive safely at night.

I have repeatedly (four times) taken this vehicle to my local GMC dealer for correction. The Service Manager there finally took it home overnight to personally observe the problem. When I picked it up the next day, the Service Manager humbly apologized for the lack of lighting provided by the headlights and agreed that they did, indeed, present a critical safety issue, and that he was not at all comfortable driving the vehicle after dark, but offered no correction to the issue, and only conveyed his apology for an obvious failure in GMC design.

This is my third GMC product, and Had I driven it after dark, I would not have purchased it.

Believe me, I tell everyone about how GMC is not a product to purchase, as they have refused to correct a critical safety issue. Do the right thing GM, and do it now!

- , Payson, AZ, USA

Oct 202014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

The headlight problem was very dangerous and I didn't drive it at nite as it was scary. I believe there will be crashes and injuries eventually. I just traded the truck to get rid of the problem and I believe GM should have contributed to that expense but they just pass the buck, lie and hedge the problem. Even the service advisor at the dealer insulted my intelligence and made himself look like a total fool because he had no idea how to fix it. Ignore the problem if you can't fix it or make promises that never materialize. I returned this truck to the dealership 5 times with no solution. The strange thing is that the right side lights are worse than the left. How can that be?

- , Randolph, NY, USA

Nov 142014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

Class action now forming for owners of these trucks with these terrible headlights. The intent of the suit is to get GMC to provide a REAL fix for these dangerous headlights.

I have owned two of the affected trucks, and they are essentially not drive-able after dark. I'm not affiliated with the firms bring the suit. I found out about it from other GMC owners forums.

If you own one of the affected trucks (ALL 2014 and 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 pickups, ALL trim levels) you are encouraged to contact the law firm in charge of client intake, to join the class action. GM knows there is a problem and refuses to provide a real fix. Join the class action NOW by contacting:

The Russell Law Firm 7557 Rambler Rd., Suite 810 Dallas, TX 75231 Phone: 214-443-0800 Fax: 214-443-0898

For faster response, email them at: leon@rs-attorneys.com rosi@rs-attorneys.com

There is no financial obligation to joining the class action.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 012015

Sierra 1500 4.3L V6

This truck has the world's worst headlights. They provide scant coverage down the road, and none to the sides. They are absolutely terrible on a rainy night. I am surprised that I haven't run anyone over yet -- I almost did just two days ago, turning into a side road, when I didn't see a person walking along the road. The headlights are that bad. I had the TSB done, reprogramming the BCM and adding the Vosla HIR bulbs, but that made only a slight improvement. GMC needs to come up with a new projector design or return to old-fashioned headlights. Or install an HID headlight in place of the one used on the 2014 and 2015 GMC. In fact, GMC needs to do an immediate recall and fix this problem, which has major safety impacts.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

May 162016

Sierra 1500 Z71 5.3L

I just purchased a 2014 sierra 1500, and found out after the purchase that the headlights are real sh*tty, they don't shine bright enough to light up the road suffiently, the low beams arent real bad for low speed driving ( under 40mph ) but the high beams arent safe at any faster speeds, light seems to disappear st around 250 ft, but doesn't light up the area. I have a 1995 tohoe that the low beams are brighter than the high beams on the 2014, This is a terrible safety concern, gm should be made repair this issue. The lights don't seem to light up the sides of the road at all,

Update from Aug 23, 2016: after notifying the dealer they replaced the bulbs with a different bulb. The new bulbs made a hugh difference. But it still is not the entire solution. My 1995 tohoe still has far better lights than the 2014 G.M.C. sierra.

- , Slippery Rock, PA, USA

Sep 272013

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

2014 GMC SIERRA LIGHTS ARE CRAPPY THEY DONT GIVE MUCH LIGHT TO SEE I DRIVE AT NIGHT TIME IF ITS DARK AND RAINING YOU CANT SEE VERY FAR

- , New Lowell, ON, Canada

Nov 182015

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

Cannot see at night. Spent to much $$$$$$ for this.

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Nov 012013

Sierra 1500 LTZ 5.3L

GM JUST NEEDS TO STEP UP AND FIX ALL THEIR ISSUES AS WE PAY BIG BUCKS $50,000 FOR THESE TRUCKS AND THEIR CRAP.

- , Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Apr 222014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

I have owned GMC trucks since 1998 and I am currently on my 6th GMC Sierra. This truck is awesome with the exception of the worst projecting headlights I have ever seen. Side view is VERY limited and front view is terrible especially when driving in the rain or in rural areas. I have had the new BCM update and bulbs installed and notice very limited improvement. After market companies make a fix to convert to HID so my question is why can't GM fix these lights when they KNOW they have a problem and fixed it starting with the 2016 Sierra.

- , Summerset, SD, USA

Sep 152014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

The headlights on this vehicle are the worst that I have ever experienced. At night the visibility is really poor and dangerous since you can only see about 30-40 feet in front of the vehicle. With visibility this bad it makes it hard to see what is ahead on a dark street which is an accident waiting to happen.

- , Duluth, GA, USA

Jul 082014

Sierra 1500 5.3L

The headlights are not safe to drive at night. Need to upgrade the headlights.

- , Leechburg, PA, USA

Apr 202014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L Flex Fuel

Like others on here I complained right away to the dealer the first business day after my purchase of my truck. The service department and sales person said that they were not aware of any issue. I bitched loud and clear and even had my wife bring in her 1987 Toyota Camry with fogged over headlights and I said how in the hell can you say that there is no problem when the 27 year old car had more visibility from the headlights than my new rig.

We have spent hundreds of dollars on different bulbs for this truck with no luck. I had even put aftermarket LED's, and they were fine for about a week and then it started sending all sorts of error messages and showed bulbs burned out and really made it run like crap so they had to be removed and back to the stock crappy ones.

I hope this voltage upgrade and the bulbs will help. We love the truck, just can't take the chance on driving it at night. With the amount of wet weather we receive here on Oregon I need to be able to see the road at night and with these lights that just doesn't happen. I was able to put LED bulbs in the stock driving light housing which helped a lot, but I have got a police warning for driving with them on

Update from Mar 20, 2016: Had Technical Service Bulletin done today March 19, 2016 and what a huge difference on my 2014 Sierra VIN code G.I was able to see things at night that I was unable to see with the headlights on this truck before. I didn't even need to turn on the driving lights to see the road. Hopefully it will be as good when the roads are wet at night.

Update from May 27, 2016: The headlight upgrade fixed the visibility is at night. Those of you that are having this issue there is a Technical Service Bulletin telling the dealer to Reprogram the Body Control Module and install 2 new bulbs P/N 23342527. This is at no charge to you since it is a TSB

- , Aloha, OR, USA

Sep 202013

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

2014 GMC Sierra lights are terrible poor vision. GM CANADA should come up with a better light system hope we can get some sort of help with this problem. It should be a recall.

- , New Lowell, ON, Canada

Feb 152016

Sierra 1500 SLE 5,3

Since I purchased the vehicle the headlights were sub standard. Only after requesting them to check the headlights did the dealer say there was an upgrade where they replace the bulbs and reprogram the computer to increase the voltage to the headlights. So I had this procedure done and the results were really insignificant to say the least. The original problems are and continue to be even after the headlight upgrade was done ,

There is a very Dangerous Distracting and Distinct line of Lighting to virtually no light at all, and very little side lighting so when you are going into a sharp turn on a very dimly lit road you cannot see what you are turning into. When they did the upgrade they also adjusted the headlights upward to help compensate for that line of light to no light and now I am consistently being flashed high beams by other motorists I must now be blinding others with my upgraded and adjusted lights while visibility still remains very poor and sub standard….

- , Sugarloaf, PA, USA