9.0

2. purchased aftermarket hid (3 reports)
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 192014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

I have experienced extremely poor visibility with the headlights on my Sierra. The throw distance is VERY DANGEROUSLY short and you can only see about 30' in front of you. When others drive it, they inevitably say "what's wrong with your headlights?" I had visited with the dealer about it a few times early on hoping for a fix, but there was no info.

Recently, there is finally a TSB to resolve the issue, but GMC is apparently trying to sweep it under the rug and not resolve it since it has gone out of warranty in the mean time. I find it unacceptable that they have a DANGEROUS situation with the headlights and they aren't willing to fix this problem. I have narrowly avoided a handful of accidents that would not been an issue at all with better lighting.

I have talked to GMC and the dealer 10+ times and they are obviously just hoping I will forget about it. They can be sure that if I have an accident at night, my lawyer will be contacting them!

- , Wichita, KS, USA

Oct 242014

Sierra 1500 Slt Texas Edition 5.3L

Hello

My name is Ismael Colon and I work as a sheriff Deputy. I own a 2014 GMC SIERRA and is the worst truck I have ever bought.

The headlights on this truck provide inadequate lighting, including both low beams and high beams. Any night driving is difficult due to limited visibility, there simply is not enough illumination to see. Can be very dangerous - especially during precipitation. The headlight has a severe design flaw with gm says is a shutter system. This type of design does not leave any options for simply changing the type of bulb - the design is actually at fault for the poor visibility. The visibility problems simply cannot be fixed with a different bulb type due to the shutter design type.

The need from a new headlight will solve the problem.

Many complaints are being registered online related to the visibility problem. These trucks are not safe to drive at night. If there is a standard for minimum headlight illumination for night time driving, this model headlight needs to be

- , Killeen, USA

Sep 092014

Sierra 1500 SLT V8

Vehicle headlights are dim to the point of being dangerous to everyone and thing. Drivers of these vehicles are not able to see obstacles in time to make a safe stop or swerve due the the dim headlights. We need to push GM to come up with a fix before the inevitable tragedy.

- , Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Oct 292014

Sierra 1500 3.2L V6

Like many others I find the headlights to be of poor quality. Low beams do little to give a clear view and switching to high beams sends the light much higher than they need to be with little increase is distance visibility.

When is GM going to issue a recall? ( Probably after someone is seriously injured - heaven forbid!)

- , Gloucester, VA, USA

Mar 152014

Sierra 1500 All Terrain SLT 5.3L

Not much to say other than these are the worst headlights I have ever not seen anything with. Raising the front of the truck half an inch helped a bit, but I figured they would do something about this. The 2016 models have LED lighting so hopefully that's an improvement. Not sure I will be leasing another GM truck come next year though.

- , Bryn Mawr, PA, USA

Oct 152014

Sierra 1500 LE 5.3L V8

Overall the truck is pretty nice BUT, these headlights suck! They look ok but don't shine for sh*t! I live in the boonies where street lights are rare so good quality headlights are a must! If all the roads I drive on were straight, level & well lit this truck would be pretty darn nice but in the real world when the sun goes down the road & the shoulders go dark. Half your forward vision is cut off & there is NO side light at all,when approaching a turn you can not see to the side which makes it impossible to see where the curb or ditch or people might be! Do you see a problem here? The reflector design needs to be moved so the bulb extends more & more light is reflected to the sides! Also that horizontal line that cuts all light from showing you what is up ahead of you is gone! I mean like you pull a shade down in front of your eyes,it's crazy! Every time you drive over a low spot in the road your view of anything past 20 feet in front of your vehicle goes black,you can not see if a deer might be crossing the road or another vehicle may be stalled in front of you,you are going the slam into something! I wasn't kidding when I said these headlights SUCK! I have taken this problem back to my dealer where they replaced the headlight bulbs with a new style replacement bulb which they said are a brighter high intensely, but these also SUCK! No big changes that I can see.

- , Winter, WI, USA

Aug 112014

Sierra 1500 Slt Texas Edition 5.3L

Today for the first time I drove my 2014 sierra texas edition in the rain at night.... Wow>>>>> I had to stop and wait for the rain downpour to let out so I could see where I was going. Not good. Driving at night is very stressfull and eye straining to the point of taking headache medications once you are done driving. Any way to fix this extremely dangerous problem? this should be considered a safety hazard to drivers and any others on the road. This issue needs to be addressed and resolved asap. And GM still says there is nothing wrong. So why are they changing the desing on the 2016's trucks

- , Killeen, USA

Sep 162015

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

Had complained about lights after buying truck, told that dealer could adjust lights up. Which made people flash their lights at me but could not see any better. In low beam the lighting is not bright enough to be safe and when you switch to high it was worse because you are looking for Raccoon's in the tree tops and on high your lighting gets fainter. Really hard to tell different between the l/h beams.

Got a tech recall on lights so was glad to bring in. Dealer said they replaced bulbs and upped computer. Said it would be brighter, they were wrong. High beams are still a faint light. You might see a reflected sign but side to side is not good for distance to be a night driver.

Very disappointed in GMC for not fixing this problem. Guessing Ford is next truck, have had GMC's for a long time maybe one too many!! Looking at the problem on the 2015 lights it seems that GMC is letting the problem keep going and will not admit that they can't fix it or don't want to!!!

- , MCGREGOR, MN, USA

May 062014

Sierra 1500 WT 3.2L

THE OEM HEADLIGHTS ARE SO DIM AS TO MAKE THIS TRUCK A DANGER FOR ALL, WHEN DRIVEN AT NIGHT.

- , Canaan, CT, USA

Jul 232014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

I would like to have my dealer update these lights to something much brighter, at GM's expense.

- , Fayetteville, GA, USA

Jun 012014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

I own a 2014 GMC Crew Cab SLE crew cab 4x4 that has poor/terrible visibility issues at night. While driving with the low beams on during a typical night, the top 30% of the windshield is dark and the headlights don't shine more than 50 yds ahead of your travel path at all speeds. This can be extremely dangerous while driving on the expressway at night due to the need of more reaction time and visibility driving at higher speeds.

Very poor research and design GM, do the right thing and fix this issue.

- , Okemos, MI, USA

Mar 102015

Sierra 1500 5.3L

The headlights are simply terrible. When driving at night on un-lit country roads, and when turning left or right, you cannot see what you are driving into because there is no light. When driving on hilly and curvy country roads, it is very scary as there is no light illuminated on up coming curves, either left or right. All there is is a ball of light shinning straight ahead. When going up hills the lights shine upwards and when going down you cannot see ahead right away as the lights are too focused on a small area of the road.

I have contacted GM concerning this serious problem but have not received any answer. This is SAFETY ISSUE and must repaired!! GM where are you?

- , Saskatoon, Sask, Canada

Feb 072015

Sierra 1500 SLT V8 5.3L

I have owned my 2014 GMC Sierra for ten months now. Drove my truck in complete darkness for first time and was shocked at how poor the high beam lights were and the low beams with the fog lights on were not much better. When I got back to town I parked the truck beside a 2007 Chevy and a 2007 GMC truck with OEM lights and was shocked at how poor the lights were on my 2014 Sierra. You have to stay very alert when driving this truck on rural roads.

Also noticed that when it started to snow lightly that the high beams would be pointed toward the trees. This is a accident waiting to happen. When this happened I thought that the lenses might be dirty with road salt, but they were clean. You have to be careful not to out run the lights.

- , Timmins, Ontario, Canada

Sep 302014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

The stock headlights on these trucks are terrible. The fog lights are actually brighter than the headlights and it is dangerous to drive at night on roads that do not have streetlights. According to the salesman at the dealership there has never been any complaints with the lighting on the new trucks. I am hoping that an aftermarket HID kit will make a difference and will send before and after photos to the dealership. It is the only complaint I have with the truck and at the price they charge for these trucks you should be able to see while driving at night.

Hopefully GM will realize how dangerous the headlights actually are and will fix the issue moving forward, maybe even cover the cost of retrofitting with ones that will allow for safe driving in all conditions.

Update from Feb 19, 2015: I purchased an aftermarket HID kit off of Amazon along with a wiring harness. It took about an hour to install everything and low and behold I can actually see where my truck is going in the dark. It cost about $175 after shipping and exchange and the hour of my time to fix the issue. It could be a scary looking project for some but when you are really frustrated by the shortfalls of the vehicle it is worth taking the time to do. Before I installed the HID kit putting candles where the headlight bulbs were would likely have made for brighter headlights.

Update from Mar 15, 2015: The HID kit from Amazon was a Kensun high performance HID with AC canbus conversion and built in warning canceler and anti-flicker, also needed the hid conversion harness with the relay and capacitor. I used 9006 bulbs and they worked just fine. The whole process took about an hour but would leave it to a professional if you are not mechanically inclined.

- , CALGARY, Alberta, canada

Jan 302015

Sierra 1500 SLE 3.2L V6

IN JUNE,2014, I BOUGHT A 2014 GMC 1500 SLE WITH LED PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS (SINGLE BULB FOR HIGH/LOW). THE LIGHT THEY PUT ON THE ROAD IS SO DIM, IT'S DANGEROUS TO DRIVE IN ANY WEATHER ON UNFAMILIAR ROADS. LESS THAN 40 FEET IN FRONT OF TRUCK, THEY LEAVE A STRAIGHT LINE ACROSS THE ROAD, BEYOND WHICH YOU C-A-N N-O-T S-E-E WHERE YOU ARE GOING. ON WET PAVEMENT, YOU CAN'T SEE AT ALL.

MY TRUCK DID NOT COME WITH FOG-LIGHTS, AND THERE IS NO KIT AVAILABLE ( GM OR AFTERMARKET ) THAT CAN BE PUT ON WITHOUT DAMAGING THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM ON THE TRUCK!!! THAT INFORMATION IS FROM DEALER SERVICE AND PARTS DEPT. WITH HIGH BEAMS ON, YOU CAN SEE SIGNS REFLECTED A LONG WAY DOWN ROAD, BUT THEY DO NOT PUT MUCH LIGHT ON THE ROAD. I HAVE BEEN TO THE SERVICE CENTER AND HAD THEM ADJUSTED, BUT DID NO GOOD, AS ONLY ADJUSTMENT IS UP / DOWN.

I HAVE ASKED SERVICE DEPT SEVERAL TIMES ABOUT THE LIGHTS BUT THEY DON'T HAVE ANY IDEAS. I HATE TO MAKE A STINK, BUT THE NEXT TIME I CAN GET IT IN I'M GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE A FIRMER STANCE. IF THERE ARE AVAILABLE / OPTIONAL BULBS THAT CAN BE PUT IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU, JIM D....LOCUST GROVE, GA

- , Locust Grove, GA, USA

Oct 312014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

This truck is a pain in the butt to drive at night, the headlights are terrible. Have asked the dealership if they can fix the problem, they say there is nothing they can do about that as it is not a problem GM will recognize.

Update from Nov 7, 2015: Still a problem at 15000 miles asked GM about it and was told nothing to fix

- , King City, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Sierra 1500 SLT V8

Headlights are so dim, in my opinion, to the point of being considered a road hazard. Restricting the ability of drivers to avoid hitting anything that strays into the vehicle's path. I was relieved to see other complaints on this so now I know it's not my imagination. Isn't there a standard or benchmark these headlights must meet to be sold to the public? Any organization out there monitoring this stuff? I just hope and pray no pedestrians and pets wonder in front of me at night. It'll be too late by the time these headlight illuminate the situation.

- , Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Dec 202013

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

Projector headlamp is a focused display of light but not very bright (have had other GM vehicles with same issue) and installed HID replacement bulbs which made the headlamps brighter. Installed HID for both headlamp and fog lamp that not only giver a brighter light display but is closer to the white light given off by the LED display above and below the projector headlamp assembly.

- , Cobourg, Ontario, canada

Apr 042014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.4L

The headlights on my 2014 sierra are simply terrible and is scary to drive at night. It is especially bad when its snowing and wet pavement. The low beams are bad and The high beams are a joke. They light up signs miles down the road and thats about it. If it wasnt for the reflection off the sign you wouldnt know you had switch to high beam. You can barely tell the difference between high and low beam. This is very dangerous and I don't know what to do. I have had it to the dealership 3 times to have them set and each time its worse. What do I do? Previous to this truck I had a 2007 silverado ltz and the headlights were 1000 times better. The last time i had them set the dealer said if this doesnt work then youll have to find some after market light that is better. What a waste of money. I wish I had my 2007 back

Update from Nov 8, 2015: After a year of use and going into dealership for the fourth time to get headlights adjusted they finally admitted that the headlights are poor and have had many complaints. The dealership told me that other owners are getting there headlights upgraded. They are putting in an aftermarket unit. I asked who pays for that....they told me the owner does. Well you know what I told him.... I pay over $45,000 for a truck and the headlights on my 46 ford with 6 volt system is 100 times better and you want me to pay to upgrade the headlights....fat chance. Its just terrible and just hate using the truck at night.. Not only is it terrible on the highway it is also very bad in to. When you turn a corner or turn into a driveway the lights don't illuminate to the side.....its pitch black. It not much different on the highway you not get much illumination to the side which leaves the ditches black. I have owned hundreds of vehicles in my life time and have never had lights as bad as this.....infact I have never complainted about lights in a vehicle.....

A few months ago GM came out with a bulletin admitting there were issues with the headlights and to bring it to the dealership for an upgrade. From what I understand they were only sending the letter for the upgrade to owners who complained about the lights. I have two friends with the same truck who say the lights are terrible but never complained and did not receive the notice....anyway I took the truck in an the dealership changed out the headlight bulbs and apparently cranked up the power to them. After the last time I had the headlights adjusted I would have to say that they were set right. The headlights shot down the road the right descents but like my wife said they are just not bright enough..... So after the upgrade I will have to admit that the lighting is brighter and can see better down the highway ...although now I have oncoming vehicles flashing their high beams at me because they think my lights are on highbeam....they don't shine in the ditch much better... still terrible when turning into a driveway....High beam is non existing. when you flip to high beam the lights shoot to the top of the trees....its a joke..... I talked to a GM customer service representative about the headlight issues and many other things I disliked about the truck....he asked if I had test drove the vehicle and I said yes...but after driving if a couple miles I turned around and took it back...I have a 2000 and 2007 GM truck previously and my thought was I had no compliants with these trucks and I would trust GM wouldn't make a worse truck so why a long test drive.... The customer service guy proceeded to tell me that I should have driven it longer and that basically it was my fault for not checking the truck over better. I called the same rep a couple weeks later after having a bunch of warranty work done....like replacing the heater core, heater motor, complained for the third time about the steering and then having headlights adjusted again.... I told him in order to find all the deficiencies I would have had to test drive this truck in the day time and night time , in the winter and the summer. I told him his comments were disgusting and was shocked that he would make such a comment about how I should test drive a vehicle and that I had the chance to test drive the vehicle so I shouldn't be complaining about anything on the truck......I truly hope GM does something with this...it is dangerous to drive at night....If you notice GM have chanced the headlights in the 2016....I wonder why? Chance of me buying another GM is very very low

- , Prince Albert, Sask, canada

Nov 012014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

I HAVE OWNED 343 VEHICLES AND MY 2014 GMC SIERRA 1500 SLT HAS THE ABSOLUTE WORSE HEADLIGHTS I HAVE EVER HAD. THEY LIGHT UP THE ROAD 36 FEET IN FRONT OF THE VEHICLE. YOU CAN OUTDRIVE YOUR HEADLIGHTS AT 5 MPH. I BOUGHT THE GMC INSTEAD OF CHEVY BECAUSE I LIKED THE LED HEADLIGHT TRIM. BIG MISTAKE. I SINCE DROVE A CHEVY WITH PROJECTOR LOW BEAMS AND SEPARATE HIGH BEAMS AND THEY ARE FINE. I HAVE A UTV THAT HAS BETTER HEADLIGHTS THAN MY $50,000 TRUCK (2014 MOSSIMO 600). HAD TRUCK TO THE DEALER NUMEROUS TIMES. NOW THEY HAVE AIMED THE HEADLIGHTS UP (SO SHINE OUT FURTHER) BUT THEY ARE DIM, HAVE VERY POOR SIDE COVERAGE AND NOW MY HIGHBEAMS ARE ABOUT 35 FEET UP IN THE TREES.. THESE ARE HIR BULBS AND SUPPOSEDLY THERE IS NO AFTERMARKET BULB LIKE A SYLVANIA ULTRA THAT WILL FIT. VERY POOR LIGHT DISPERSION AND VERY, VERY DIM LIGHT. LIKE A MODEL T WITH A COUPLE OF OIL LANTERNS ON THE FRONT OF IT. I WOULD NOT BUY A GMC. I TOLD GM TODAY THAT THEY EITHER FIX IT AND THE OTHER PROBLEMS (BLUETOOTH, VIBRATIONS) OR THEY CAN HAVE IT BACK. THIS IS A DEFINITE SAFETY HAZARD. BAD, BAD HEADLIGHTS. I GUESS I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE. I HAVE READ HUNDREDS OF PAGES OF COMPLAINTS CONCERNING THESE LIGHTS. MAYBE IT IS TIME NHTSA GETS INVOLVED.

- , Maryville, TN, USA