9.5

2. purchased aftermarket hid (2 reports)
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Jun 012014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

I own a 2014 GMC Crew Cab SLE crew cab 4x4 that has poor/terrible visibility issues at night. While driving with the low beams on during a typical night, the top 30% of the windshield is dark and the headlights don't shine more than 50 yds ahead of your travel path at all speeds. This can be extremely dangerous while driving on the expressway at night due to the need of more reaction time and visibility driving at higher speeds.

Very poor research and design GM, do the right thing and fix this issue.

- , Okemos, MI, USA

Mar 102015

Sierra 1500 5.3L

The headlights are simply terrible. When driving at night on un-lit country roads, and when turning left or right, you cannot see what you are driving into because there is no light. When driving on hilly and curvy country roads, it is very scary as there is no light illuminated on up coming curves, either left or right. All there is is a ball of light shinning straight ahead. When going up hills the lights shine upwards and when going down you cannot see ahead right away as the lights are too focused on a small area of the road.

I have contacted GM concerning this serious problem but have not received any answer. This is SAFETY ISSUE and must repaired!! GM where are you?

- , Saskatoon, Sask, Canada

Feb 072015

Sierra 1500 SLT V8 5.3L

I have owned my 2014 GMC Sierra for ten months now. Drove my truck in complete darkness for first time and was shocked at how poor the high beam lights were and the low beams with the fog lights on were not much better. When I got back to town I parked the truck beside a 2007 Chevy and a 2007 GMC truck with OEM lights and was shocked at how poor the lights were on my 2014 Sierra. You have to stay very alert when driving this truck on rural roads.

Also noticed that when it started to snow lightly that the high beams would be pointed toward the trees. This is a accident waiting to happen. When this happened I thought that the lenses might be dirty with road salt, but they were clean. You have to be careful not to out run the lights.

- , Timmins, Ontario, Canada

Sep 302014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

The stock headlights on these trucks are terrible. The fog lights are actually brighter than the headlights and it is dangerous to drive at night on roads that do not have streetlights. According to the salesman at the dealership there has never been any complaints with the lighting on the new trucks. I am hoping that an aftermarket HID kit will make a difference and will send before and after photos to the dealership. It is the only complaint I have with the truck and at the price they charge for these trucks you should be able to see while driving at night.

Hopefully GM will realize how dangerous the headlights actually are and will fix the issue moving forward, maybe even cover the cost of retrofitting with ones that will allow for safe driving in all conditions.

Update from Feb 19, 2015: I purchased an aftermarket HID kit off of Amazon along with a wiring harness. It took about an hour to install everything and low and behold I can actually see where my truck is going in the dark. It cost about $175 after shipping and exchange and the hour of my time to fix the issue. It could be a scary looking project for some but when you are really frustrated by the shortfalls of the vehicle it is worth taking the time to do. Before I installed the HID kit putting candles where the headlight bulbs were would likely have made for brighter headlights.

Update from Mar 15, 2015: The HID kit from Amazon was a Kensun high performance HID with AC canbus conversion and built in warning canceler and anti-flicker, also needed the hid conversion harness with the relay and capacitor. I used 9006 bulbs and they worked just fine. The whole process took about an hour but would leave it to a professional if you are not mechanically inclined.

- , CALGARY, Alberta, canada

Jan 302015

Sierra 1500 SLE 3.2L V6

IN JUNE,2014, I BOUGHT A 2014 GMC 1500 SLE WITH LED PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS (SINGLE BULB FOR HIGH/LOW). THE LIGHT THEY PUT ON THE ROAD IS SO DIM, IT'S DANGEROUS TO DRIVE IN ANY WEATHER ON UNFAMILIAR ROADS. LESS THAN 40 FEET IN FRONT OF TRUCK, THEY LEAVE A STRAIGHT LINE ACROSS THE ROAD, BEYOND WHICH YOU C-A-N N-O-T S-E-E WHERE YOU ARE GOING. ON WET PAVEMENT, YOU CAN'T SEE AT ALL.

MY TRUCK DID NOT COME WITH FOG-LIGHTS, AND THERE IS NO KIT AVAILABLE ( GM OR AFTERMARKET ) THAT CAN BE PUT ON WITHOUT DAMAGING THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM ON THE TRUCK!!! THAT INFORMATION IS FROM DEALER SERVICE AND PARTS DEPT. WITH HIGH BEAMS ON, YOU CAN SEE SIGNS REFLECTED A LONG WAY DOWN ROAD, BUT THEY DO NOT PUT MUCH LIGHT ON THE ROAD. I HAVE BEEN TO THE SERVICE CENTER AND HAD THEM ADJUSTED, BUT DID NO GOOD, AS ONLY ADJUSTMENT IS UP / DOWN.

I HAVE ASKED SERVICE DEPT SEVERAL TIMES ABOUT THE LIGHTS BUT THEY DON'T HAVE ANY IDEAS. I HATE TO MAKE A STINK, BUT THE NEXT TIME I CAN GET IT IN I'M GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE A FIRMER STANCE. IF THERE ARE AVAILABLE / OPTIONAL BULBS THAT CAN BE PUT IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU, JIM D....LOCUST GROVE, GA

- , Locust Grove, GA, USA

Oct 312014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

This truck is a pain in the butt to drive at night, the headlights are terrible. Have asked the dealership if they can fix the problem, they say there is nothing they can do about that as it is not a problem GM will recognize.

- , King City, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Sierra 1500 SLT V8

Headlights are so dim, in my opinion, to the point of being considered a road hazard. Restricting the ability of drivers to avoid hitting anything that strays into the vehicle's path. I was relieved to see other complaints on this so now I know it's not my imagination. Isn't there a standard or benchmark these headlights must meet to be sold to the public? Any organization out there monitoring this stuff? I just hope and pray no pedestrians and pets wonder in front of me at night. It'll be too late by the time these headlight illuminate the situation.

- , Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Dec 202013

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

Projector headlamp is a focused display of light but not very bright (have had other GM vehicles with same issue) and installed HID replacement bulbs which made the headlamps brighter. Installed HID for both headlamp and fog lamp that not only giver a brighter light display but is closer to the white light given off by the LED display above and below the projector headlamp assembly.

- , Cobourg, Ontario, canada

Apr 042014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.4L

The headlights on my 2014 sierra are simply terrible and is scary to drive at night. It is especially bad when its snowing and wet pavement. The low beams are bad and The high beams are a joke. They light up signs miles down the road and thats about it. If it wasnt for the reflection off the sign you wouldnt know you had switch to high beam. You can barely tell the difference between high and low beam. This is very dangerous and I don't know what to do. I have had it to the dealership 3 times to have them set and each time its worse. What do I do? Previous to this truck I had a 2007 silverado ltz and the headlights were 1000 times better. The last time i had them set the dealer said if this doesnt work then youll have to find some after market light that is better. What a waste of money. I wish I had my 2007 back

- , Prince Albert, Sask, canada

Nov 012014

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

I HAVE OWNED 343 VEHICLES AND MY 2014 GMC SIERRA 1500 SLT HAS THE ABSOLUTE WORSE HEADLIGHTS I HAVE EVER HAD. THEY LIGHT UP THE ROAD 36 FEET IN FRONT OF THE VEHICLE. YOU CAN OUTDRIVE YOUR HEADLIGHTS AT 5 MPH. I BOUGHT THE GMC INSTEAD OF CHEVY BECAUSE I LIKED THE LED HEADLIGHT TRIM. BIG MISTAKE. I SINCE DROVE A CHEVY WITH PROJECTOR LOW BEAMS AND SEPARATE HIGH BEAMS AND THEY ARE FINE. I HAVE A UTV THAT HAS BETTER HEADLIGHTS THAN MY $50,000 TRUCK (2014 MOSSIMO 600). HAD TRUCK TO THE DEALER NUMEROUS TIMES. NOW THEY HAVE AIMED THE HEADLIGHTS UP (SO SHINE OUT FURTHER) BUT THEY ARE DIM, HAVE VERY POOR SIDE COVERAGE AND NOW MY HIGHBEAMS ARE ABOUT 35 FEET UP IN THE TREES.. THESE ARE HIR BULBS AND SUPPOSEDLY THERE IS NO AFTERMARKET BULB LIKE A SYLVANIA ULTRA THAT WILL FIT. VERY POOR LIGHT DISPERSION AND VERY, VERY DIM LIGHT. LIKE A MODEL T WITH A COUPLE OF OIL LANTERNS ON THE FRONT OF IT. I WOULD NOT BUY A GMC. I TOLD GM TODAY THAT THEY EITHER FIX IT AND THE OTHER PROBLEMS (BLUETOOTH, VIBRATIONS) OR THEY CAN HAVE IT BACK. THIS IS A DEFINITE SAFETY HAZARD. BAD, BAD HEADLIGHTS. I GUESS I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE. I HAVE READ HUNDREDS OF PAGES OF COMPLAINTS CONCERNING THESE LIGHTS. MAYBE IT IS TIME NHTSA GETS INVOLVED.

- , Maryville, TN, USA

Jan 012014

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

The focused beam headlights on my new gmc light up road signs miles down the road but do not light the road within 100 yards of the truck. If raining or snowing (I live in michigan's UP so its always snowing) visibility is poor to the point of being dangerous. I took the truck to two dealers and was told by the first that I would just have to get used to it. The second said GM was working on a fix but no solutions yet. Neither adjusted the elevation, they said it would not help. I avoid driving it at night for safety and think for 40 grand plus that is unacceptable.

- , Pickford, MI, USA