NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 (Page 2 of 3)

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 GMC Sierra 1500:

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 282016

Sierra 1500

The headlights on my 2015 GMC Sierra are dangerous. They do not produce a sufficient amount of light to cover the driving area. While driving at night the sides of the road are not visible nor are what lies ahead if any curvature is involved. It is to the point where I try to avoid driving it at night. The ones who do not complain either live in town where street lights are present to assist with lighting or they are not driving at night.

- Benton, AR, USA

Apr 302016

Sierra 1500

The headlights are dangerous! low beams with fog lights on are adequate for <45 mph. Anything faster and you can't see far enough ahead. Forget using the high beams. On dimly lit highways, you can't see in front on the vehicle. The high beams don't illuminate the road so it's safer to use the low beams and hope the 100ft visibility will allow you to slow slightly before killing whatever human/animal/obstacle presents itself. This truck is too dangerous for my family without a retrofit.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Jan 292016

Sierra 1500

Bought a new 2015 Sierra in Jan 2016, after I bought it I drove from new brunswick to manitoba and it was the scariest night drive I have ever had (over 30 years of experience )the low beams were dim and had no useful light pattern, and high beam just lit up the tops of trees and signs, driving through Ontario's twisty hwy.I almost went off the road many times, due to the poor lights you will corner with out being able to see till your straight and the light hits the road again. When I arrived in manitoba I took the truck to a dealership, where they replaced my bulbs, flashed the BCM and a lined the lights the light is a little better but still not safe as they still don't project much light pattern. I can't see street signs only the bottom of the poles. And highs still point to the sky with no more road light. Returned to new brunswick and brought it to the dealership to have it looked at again, and the suggest the same fix as what the manitoba dealer just did. Still cannot drive safe at night.

- Smithtown, AA, USA

Jun 092016

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, one of the headlights failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the vehicle was repaired under a manufacturer warranty program, however the failure recurred. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000. Updated 08/02/16

- Boyertown, PA, USA

Dec 082015

Sierra 1500

Headlights are so dim that I can't see down the road far enough to see if there would be anything in the road. Have repeatedly asked dealer about this, and was told they were aware of the problem but there was no plan to fix it. On rainy nights it's as if I have no headlights at all.

- Underhill, VT, USA

Jun 112016

Sierra 1500

Headlight illumination extremely poor. Even after tsb bulb replacement was completed on vehicle, low and high beam illumination is unsafe and unacceptable.

- Huntington Woods, MI, USA

Nov 202015

Sierra 1500

Can't see at nite and worse during rain. It's like a 5 cell flash lite set on the small narrow setting stead of the flood setting. Also can't see wild life that are standing near the white line of the shoulders at nite. Tunnel vision light. Very dangerous, please find a cure. Already had GMC's upgraded bulbs.

- Coldbrook, NY, USA

Aug 192015

Sierra 1500

I have driven many vehicles in my lifetime and these are the worst headlights I have experienced. A very short cutoff and worst of all, no side illumination. I am almost afraid to drive it at night and god help you if it is night and raining.

- Howell, MI, USA

May 132015

Sierra 1500

Headlights on this vehicle are unacceptable you cannot see anything past 100 feet at 35 mph on a dark street. This is a known problem with the Sierra.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

May 252016

Sierra 1500

Issue: Headlights do not provide sufficient light for night driving. Unless driving in a well lit neighborhood, these headlights do not provide safe lighting for driving. I can not drive this vehicle at night. The warranty only provided different light bulbs which are no better. These headlights need recalled immediately!

- Hastings, MN, USA

Jul 152015

Sierra 1500

My 2015 GMC Sierra has dangerous headlights, they do not beam more than 30 feet ahead and they are very dim.

- North Palm Beach, FL, USA

Feb 012016

Sierra 1500

The headlights equipped from the factory on these very expensive trucks are dangerous. When driving in conditions of low light, there is such little illumination from the headlights that it would be difficult if not impossible to avoid a collision due to minimal reaction time. Both the high and low beam do not provide sufficient lighting for diving safely in low light conditions. These are the most poorly performing lights I can remember ever having from any manufacturer.

- Moore, OK, USA

Apr 292016

Sierra 1500

The illumination performance of the headlights on my 2015 GMC Sierra is unsatisfactory for driving on rural roads. The performance is also subpar in foggy and wet conditions. I feel that I am unable to drive safely at the posted highway speeds using the current headlights provided by the automaker. I feel that it is a safety hazard and could possibly contribute to hazardous driving situations at night. I also feel that it could cause a potential accident due to the poor visibility at posted highway speeds.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Apr 172016

Sierra 1500

Headlights are terrible, output and pattern are poor, very little lateral illumination.unsafe to drive at night in rural area.driving in rain, very dangerous.get eye strain and headache.

- Munford, TN, USA

Jun 222015

Sierra 1500

The headlights on this truck are so poor, we hate driving it at night! I have taken it to the dealership, and they did an "upgrade" of different bulbs and changed the voltage. This was of little help. Now, one of the upgraded bulbs has already gone out of my less than one year old truck.

- Port Byron, IL, USA

Feb 202016

Sierra 1500

Projector-style headlamps on 2015 GMC Sierra provide inadequate illumination-even after manufacturer service bulletin was performed, still very unsafe to drive at night in area with no street lights-literally no side illumination, and distance in front of vehicle is not illuminated adequately. GMC (GM) changed headlamp design in 2016 to correct this, but has offered no assistance to owners of 2014-15 vehicles. I've had several close calls with deer at night due to such poor lighting. My previous, 10 yr. Old truck had better headlights! hopefully something can be done to correct this issue. Complained to dealer, to GMC customer service, now what? seems the manufacturer has no plans to help. Headlamp design was poor, only uses a single halogen bulb for high & low beam.

- Neenah, WI, USA

Feb 122016

Sierra 1500

The performance of the GMC headlights seems to be way below par. This truck has the worst headlights I have ever owned. In my opinion this is a safety hazard to myself and the public.

- Salem, VA, USA

Aug 142015

Sierra 1500

The head lights are inadequate for night driving. Both low and high beams do not light up enough area in front of the vehicle nearly as good as previous model years. The projector style lights are too focused and do not give enough light to the sides to see adequately down the road. GM is obviously aware of the issue and performed a BCM update to my vehicle to make the lights brighter but that fix still doesn't resolve the issue. 2016 model years have a completely different headlight allowing those trucks to see much better at night which tells me they are aware of the lighting issues and fixed it for the 2016 GM trucks.

- Bellefonte, PA, USA

Mar 132015

Sierra 1500

My 2015 GMC Sierra's headlights provide horrible visibility at night, the oem projector style headlights installed in this truck are dim, weak and unsafe. I brought my Sierra back to the dealership and they applied tsb #pit5374 and upgraded the headlights with the volsa hir bulbs. This upgrade provided a nominal increase in brightness, but the headlights are still dim and unsafe for use while driving on dark roads or in the rain. The do not provide any illumination on the side of the roads, especially on dark country roads which makes it hard to see wildlife and other potential hazards. The design of the headlights on the 2014/2015 GMC Sierra are severely deficient. It is my understanding that GMC is fully aware of this problem, so much so that they redesigned the headlights on the 2016 GMC Sierra which has the significantly better hid headlights. I have already logged a complaint and spoke with representatives from GMC who looked into my issue and the end result was that there was nothing else they could do.

- Gorham, ME, USA

Jan 302016

Sierra 1500

Headlights are extremely dim. High beams provide no illumination to the front sides of the vehicle. Using fog lights with low beam is actually brighter than the high beams. Even after having the dealer install new bulbs the lighting is very weak in a low illumination area, I.e. no moon, no street light, road. When making a turn in an un lit area I can't even see where the side of the road ends. These so called projector type headlights don't seem to work very well. I know for a fact the 2014 and 2015 have the same set up. The 2016 has a whole new set up with hid lighting and work great. This tells me that GM knows there is a problem. Unfortunately their "fix" only if you complain, isn't fixing anything... on a trip in the smokey mountains in gatlinburg tn I nearly crashed off the side of the mountain. I could not see where the edge of the road was. Even the passengers asked me "what is wrong with your lights?" the said "turn on your high beams" and I stated, "they are on". we can't believe these light pass the common sense test..

- New Market, AL, USA